• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
After universally glowing reviews, retailers are selling Quests like hotcakes at launch:

Seems like lots of early adopters are on board - with good WOM and a nice holiday, we could be seeing VR finally hit the mainstream in 2019.

It's still too early to say what these inventory issues mean for absolute Quest sales numbers, and the impact the device may have on the VR market as a whole. Some retailers may have been conservative in estimating consumer demand for the Quest after experiencing tepid demand for previous headsets. What's more, first-week sales of the device are likely driven by VR early adopters, and Facebook is expected to sell many more Quest units during the holiday shopping season.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I greatly dislike VR, but can see why this one is selling. This is the first VR package that really makes sense.

That said, with how lukewarm the market has been, I would not assume that selling out of what might very have been a tiny initial inventory release as a sign that VR is about to be a mainstream hit.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i bought one and then immediately fractured my ankle, so i can't play it properly for a while :/

(the VR isn't what caused the injury)

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
One interesting estimate of adoption is to look at Beat Saber leaderboards; I have intentionally scored VERY LOW scores on the song "100 Dollar Bills" in order to keep an eye on how many people have purchased this and played what's essentially the "starter" song. As of right now, there are roughly 9,300 global leaderboard entries on 'easy,' 7860 on 'normal,' and 7820 on 'hard.'

That's up from the Wednesday tally of 3,041 entries in 'easy' and 2,325 in 'normal.'

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how many units were shipped. I believe it's selling well though, and word of mouth is probably really strong. Couple that with the unintentional? Ability to use it as PCVR headset via ALVR or VR Ridge just days after release and you have a real value winner on your hands.

Mr Clutch

Oct 27, 2017
I greatly dislike VR, but can see why this one is selling. This is the first VR package that really makes sense.

That said, with how lukewarm the market has been, I would not assume that selling out of what might very have been a tiny initial inventory release as a sign that VR is about to be a mainstream hit.
I have to ask, have you had significant hands-on with VR? I was once super adamant about the downfall of VR. Hated it, thought it was just a fad. I then bought PSVR on a great deal and wow...VR really is something special.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Thanks for reminding me I want this. Sounds a lot more fun than a Galaxy Tab for 400.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I have to ask, have you had significant hands-on with VR? I was once super adamant about the downfall of VR. Hated it, thought it was just a fad. I then bought PSVR on a great deal and wow...VR really is something special.

I have. Every system gives me blistering headaches within 10 minutes. Just not for me. Have nothing against the tech overall or for others though. :)

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
i bought one and then immediately fractured my ankle, so i can't play it properly for a while :/

(the VR isn't what caused the injury)
Oh man. I thought spraining my calf was bad enough.

(also not from playing VR).

Still check out Moss and Thumper. That's what I've been mostly playing while I stay off my feet.

Deleted member 19024

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did my part, I guess. I got a 64 GB model and I'm enjoying it far more than I thought I would, considering I've been pretty cold on VR from the beginning. Granted, I still don't believe that VR will be the new primary experience, given how isolated it is, but there's certainly a place for it and I consider it a great addendum to my gaming hardware. Untethered VR is where it's at, though, I have to admit.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
this isn't sword art online ya know?
28368133.jpg

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One interesting estimate of adoption is to look at Beat Saber leaderboards; I have intentionally scored VERY LOW scores on the song "100 Dollar Bills" in order to keep an eye on how many people have purchased this and played what's essentially the "starter" song. As of right now, there are roughly 9,300 global leaderboard entries on 'easy,' 7860 on 'normal,' and 7820 on 'hard.'

That's up from the Wednesday tally of 3,041 entries in 'easy' and 2,325 in 'normal.'
That's actually very smart

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The Beat Saber metric is interesting because so many people are super hype about that game. However there are also a lot of people that bought Quests that own Beat Saber on other platforms that won't buy it on the quest. I'm one of those - the Quest version is arguably worse than the PSVR version in the graphics and immerstion departments, so much so that even the improvements in tracking can't make up for it. Then you consider that they raised the price and the base game still only includes less than 20 songs, and you have a recipe that even the music game addicts like me don't want to double dip on.

Personally I didn't expect as much from the Quest as a lot of people did - I've played so much PSVR and so much Oculus Go that I figured it would be just another headset with the convenience of the Go and the cpability of PSVR. However it's all that and more. Graphics aren't as good as PSVR, but everything else is great!

EDIT: By "not as good" I mean the graphics have less effects, lighting, and texture detail. Resolution is MUCH improved over PSVR.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like $199 is the magic sweetspot for VR to come close to mainstream adoption, but having a competent untethered headset is definitely a step in the right direction. I don't have a VR capable PC but I bite on a OR CV1 set for $100 a few months ago, and I've recently discovered a free app called Bigscreen that runs decently enough on my setup. I don't care how commercially dead that medium is, watching a 3D movie on a giant simulated VR screen and theatre environment? Shiiiit...

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
The Oculus Go was sold out everywhere around me for about two weeks when I was trying to get one. How did that one sell?