• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Of course he didn't, can't upset the neckbeards!

Fucking hell Disney.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
honestly kinda relieved cause chances are it would just have been some nothing background character who pops up for no reason other than for Disney to try to brag about how great they're at LGBTQ+ representation.
After Star Wars: Legend of Skywalker released in 2022 fans discovered an easter egg in the Hoth escape sequence. In the background while the SOS message is transmitted there's a faint but recognisable beeping. If slowed down for clarity and separated from background noise, it can then be converted into morse code and translates to a reference to the commander of the ship, Commander Hope, as "they" confirming their non-binary identity before the ship explodes in one of the eighteen false deaths featured in the movie.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked. Shocked! Well, not that shocked.

Disney (and that includes Marvel) will never stand for the LGBT+ crowd as long as they have money to make in China. They just don't care.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still skeptical about the gay character in Eternals. Seeing their recent attempts at "representation" just makes me think it'll be a guy who quickly mentions he has a husband and that's it.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
All of this is just reminding me we're very overdue for a Squirrel Girl movie with Chipmunk Hunk and Koi Boi.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
The biggest trans reps in Marvel are either Loki or Sera but I get the feeling they'll save this for a Disney+ series. Is Plus aimed for China this year?

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I'm shocked. Shocked! Well, not that shocked.

Disney (and that includes Marvel) will never stand for the LGBT+ crowd as long as they have money to make in China. They just don't care.

I remember the reactions in some countries caused by the live action adaptation of Beauty and the Beast due to changing LeFou's character compared to the animated version. Had not watched the movie back then but did recently and realized one must have many fears and issues to be enraged by those scenes. They werent any different in fact than what you see in many all ages approved musicals and cartoons. Imagine the more complex issues

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
This seemed obvious from those initial quotes that were reported a bit out of context.

Oct 31, 2017
Doesn't seem right to keep placing the blame on Disney kowtowing to China as if the conservative old money suits at Disney are just dying to produce big budget films with major gay and trans characters if only China would let them

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
MCU is a massive juggernaut that just seems to have values for their leads stuck in the last century.... They have the default (white, straight, cis, male) and it took them ten years to get to the point where they'll change a single thing from the "default" list for the lead.
The exception is of course the ensembles as you can have many "defaults".

Don't get me wrong, I like the MCU, but they are so behind the times and seemingly unwilling to move in a modern direction... Or mention tibet :P

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The most recent Marvel movie had a trans character in the background. In Spider-Man: Far From Home one of Peter's classmates that went to Europe with them is trans. I believe he has a speaking part but I haven't seen the movie in a while.
Remeber reading an article about that months ago with the actor.

Edit: not sure if that counts, it's a actor casted not a role pointing out that they are indeed transgender.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem right to keep placing the blame on Disney kowtowing to China as if the conservative old money suits at Disney are just dying to produce big budget films with major gay and trans characters if only China would let them
This. While China factors into this, they are very far from the only factor. And it's kinda gross to place all the blame for Disney movies not having queer characters on China as if western countries don't have a bigotry problem of their own. It's also just placing the blame away from Disney.

Mjester

Banned
Mar 3, 2018
Don't worry fam there's probably some inclusivity™ coming around the corner from Disney or the MCU for us to applaud and nod our heads to.