• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
Despite recent reports, Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige did not intend to confirm that a transgender character will appear in an upcoming film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, two sources tell Variety.

While Feige's answer appeared to respond to the specific question about a trans character, two sources close to the studio tell Varietythat Feige only intended to respond to the first part about LGBT+ characters, and he did not mean to imply that a trans character will be coming to the MCU "very soon."

Well that's very disappointing

Apr 21, 2018
As someone not into comics at all, is there a trans comic book hero they would use? Or would they be creating a new character? Or would they be changing a comic book hero from cisgender to transgender?

Just curious how they'd approach that.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
As someone not into comics at all, is there a trans comic book hero they would use? Or would they be creating a new character? Or would they be changing a comic book hero from cisgender to transgender?

Well, it's Disney so either they'll create a new supporting character for it or a villain.
No way they'll make one of the main cast transgender.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same thing as with that Harris interview- don't drop qualifiers after someone's already answering the question.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Knowing what we know of marvel

The character will be a background prop that can easily be edited out-having a non consequential part in the story.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, corporations playing it safe?

But hey, they change their logos to Pride Flag in June so they must care. Eh.

Like, shit, they just don't want to. Period. Like it's so hard to create a new character. Even small, side character for starters ffs.

OneEyedKing

Oct 25, 2017
Disney and all these other corporations can barely acknowledge gay characters let alone give them significant roles, so you're going to have to wait another few decades before they'll even consider putting a trans* person in the background for no more than 2 seconds and pat themselves on the back thinking they did something meaningful.

Don't wait for these assholes to offer the genuine and sincere representation we need/deserve, support actual LGBTQ+ artists instead of paying money to see Disney and the rest fill the trough with the same old slop. They don't care and they never will until it makes them more money.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Unfortunate we won't also be getting a radical progressive step that could be missed with an inopportune sneeze 👎

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Does Marvel Comics even have a trans superhero in their backlog even?

Plus mainline characters are probably facing a reshuffle since Fox was acquired to please thirsty Deadpool and Wolverine fans.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

There's Sera from the Angela comics, but she's more of a supporting role. She can be introduced in a Thor movie, but other than that there isn't a lot of trans rep in Marvel currently.

Edit: Loki and Koi Boi from Squirrel Girl.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I don't think Feige is to blame for the answer itself, as I guess the questioner really didn't ask a clear question, and people assumed things, as the internet is wont to do.
The blame he deserves (assuming he has the right to greenlight any movie he wants) is for not having any trans superheroes, and more widely, any LGBT superheroes in the main lineup. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Marvel hasn't announced a single superhero (for their upcoming movies/shows) who belongs to any of these categories. That's bullshit right there.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Corporations don't care about us, the faster you accept that the better. We can't rely on huge corporations for visibility and representation, it's why we should support LGBT creators much, much more. It's not like we should give up wanting more LGBT representation in mass media, we should always fight for it in any way we can, but we definitely can't rely on it for the representation we so desperately need. At this point I don't believe anything any of them say irt LGBT characters until they fucking show them to us and actually give them roles that we can fucking remember and have fucking names in the first place.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Comics Loki is trans, though a villain, from what I remember and I think Squirrel Girl has trans friends? But that's pretty much it. Oh and Sera, whho I did not know about until now

Well since Kevin got freedom from Ike Perlmutter the MCU started to become more diverse, so perhaps now Kevin Figie is literally in charge of everything Marvel he can start making more diverse changes in even the comics.

But like I said now FF and Mutants are here and Wolverine, Deadpool and FF have the thirstiest fans things have been thrown into disarray, so I guess things will probably get there. I deffo think Deadpool is the film that will have TG representation first. There's constantly rumors of Squirrel Girl getting a film or TV series.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
There's Sera from the Angela comics, but she's more of a supporting role. She can be introduced in a Thor movie, but other than that there isn't a lot of trans rep in Marvel currently.

Edit: Loki and Koi Boi from Squirrel Girl.

Xavin also kinda counts, but the runaways adaptation didn't played much to this aspect

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I highly disagree with Loki but there you go. Not that any of this matters now with how quickly all of this was shot down from very high up. Y-7 kids cartoons are more "daring" than PG-13 Disney. Pretends to be shocked.

The DC list is longer due to direct Vertigo tie-ins and whatnot (the missing The Invisibles and so on aren´t part of DC canon):
The N52/Rebirth Harley impersonator is missing too.

The most prominent human trans cape comic character may be the modern version of Shining Knight but DC or Marvel might as well make up new characters for tv and film with how slim and debatable/non-human the lists are. Unless you want to settle on absurdist creations as Danny the Street and whatnot (i like the comic and show of course).

Edit: A Lego game character is on the Marvel list. Just proves how some of these aren´t set in stone. And that Harvey Weinstein parody from a 2002 Spiderman comic is quite something. A Ron Zimmerman comic. That explains it all. He did Rawhide Kid Max. Shudder.

Last edited:

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Would Loki count as trans?

Loki can change sex at will magically.

I can see an argument that Loki an idealized look at trans identity but may not be good representation because he/she doesn't have the same struggles with dysmorphia/passing/bigotry that real trans people have.

Maybe they introduce Angela in Thor: Love and Thunder or Guardians 3, which could give them an opportunity to introduce Sera as a major supporting character.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

I can see an argument that Loki an idealized look at trans identity but may not be good representation because he/she doesn't have the same struggles with dysmorphia/passing/bigotry that real trans people have.

Loki would qualify at NB at best..... but it is highly debatable because he morphs his body to achieve certain goals, not to fit his identity

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe they introduce Angela in Thor: Love and Thunder or Guardians 3, which could give them an opportunity to introduce Sera as a major supporting character.

I think Loki counts more as gender fluid, since they're either a he or a she depending on how they feel at any given time. Then again it's hard to actually pin anything on Loki, be it gender, sexual orientation, even age. Loki is whatever Loki wants to be and probably thinks it's stupid to limit yourself to being one thing.

In the MCU however Loki is strictly male. They could change that with the Disney+ show but that would require they let other people besides Tom Hiddleston play Loki and that probably isn't happening.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
You mean Kevin Feige said something to get brownie points without actually meaning it? I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked!

CannonBallBob

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This won't happen until China gets with the times with LGBTQ+ rights. Disney's investment into the China market (films, media, and the Shanghai Park) means more than doing the right thing, unfortunately.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
This won't happen until China gets with the times with LGBTQ+ rights. Disney's investment into the China market (films, media, and the Shanghai Park) means more than doing the right thing, unfortunately.
Yep, can't piss off China. Disney's superfans will magically be absent from this thread.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honestly kinda relieved cause chances are it would just have been some nothing background character who pops up for no reason other than for Disney to try to brag about how great they're at LGBTQ+ representation.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
During a Q&A at the New York Film Academy last week, Feige was asked about LGBTQ representation in future Marvel movies: "Are there any current plans on bringing more LGBTQ+ characters into the MCU, specifically the T — trans characters?"

"Yes, very soon," Feige responded. "In a movie we're shooting right now."

This was already vague from the start, especially in regards to a "super hero" vs "characters".

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's Disney for you.

Next Marvel movie will have a trans character in the background for like 2 seconds.

The most recent Marvel movie had a trans character in the background. In Spider-Man: Far From Home one of Peter's classmates that went to Europe with them is trans. I believe he has a speaking part but I haven't seen the movie in a while.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's too bad, because I do think Eternals is the best place to introduce a trans character. That whole cast is essentially being remade from the ground up - not even comic fans know who half of these characters are. Would be an easy place to slip in some extra representation, on top of what they're already doing.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I really can't believe so many outlets ran the story when he was clearly not saying yes to a trans character specifically. He was clearly referring to the rumored gay character in Eternals.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the Marvel rumormongerers on Twitter are claiming a trans character will appear in the Loki series, but I'm pretty sure this is in reference to Loki himself, who reportedly appears in both male and female forms in the series.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017

Could make Chris Claremont's original plans for Nightcrawler's parentage canon:

Scott Lobdell said:
It was always Chris' plan that Mystique and Irene Adler (Destiny) were lovers, and that Mystique at one point had transformed into a man and impregnated Destiny and she gave birth to Nightcrawler. So Mystique and Destiny were actually Nightcrawler's father and mother.

The likelihood of either A, Mystique growing genitals with sperm that had a DNA-code, or B, Mystique being a guy who was perpetually in the body of a woman, I thought was pretty slim.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Likely a new character or an existing character revised (as mentioned before, Eternals would have been an opportunity since not even most comic readers are familiar with those characters).

The list of actual trans Marvel characters is woefully slim. Maybe in the last couple years there have been more I'm not aware of? I can only think of Koi Boi from the 2010s Squirrel Girl run.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
One of the Disney Plus episodes of Marvel Hero Project spotlighted a young trans rights activist. So some people in the company are taking steps in the right direction at least.

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Realistic question. Would you like them to do an original story or a change the backstory for an existing character?