• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
welp, this is it folks, we're really doing this

jodorowsky gonna be pissed.

"Denis who are we gonna get for this film?"

giphy.gif

Now I want Oldman to be in this movie. Maybe as Yeuh? Google seems to agree:

8-dr-yueh.jpg

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I understand wanting Gleason to be Feyd because Gleason can play a bastard quite well, but I don't think he is the right kind of bastard needed for Feyd.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be the the best made box office bomb of all time.

What a sad world that would be. I hope not, but after BR2049 I have little faith.

I understand wanting Gleason to be Feyd because Gleason can play a bastard quite well, but I don't think he is the right kind of bastard needed for Feyd.

Should skew a bit younger, right? Recently watched The Terror and Adam Nagaitis was a right bastard in that. Oil him up and he could play the part.

Last edited:

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

He definitely can play a shrewd leader with little sympathy. Feyd in the books is written as a absolute psychopath, a complete sadistic monster who would gladly kill anyone, even another Harkonnen, to get what he wants. Hell, he even looks a bit like Sting.

The bigger issue, of course, is that he has now retired from acting an gone back to finish college now that GoT has wrapped up.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what miracles marketing will accomplish, if any, but I trust Villeneuve has the tact to make a more or less self contained story with this movie, or at least give us a satisfying conclusion.

I mean, he must know that the probability of this doing well enough for a sequel is... Not great. At least at first glance.

I hope it makes a fuckton of money.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
It would certainly be something if they cast Stellan's (The Baron Harkonnen) son Bill Skarsgård. He could play a real intimidating creeper, and of course he'd look the part.

I like it, but I think he looks a bit too old for the role. Timothee Chalamet is 22 but looks to be in his late teens.

Plus I think we need someone who can be both skeezy and handsome at the same time. Bill is certainly skeezy but I wouldn't consider him handsome.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
casting for this movie is insane
denis is going to make his second sci fi masterpiece after BR 2049

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what miracles marketing will accomplish, if any, but I trust Villeneuve has the tact to make a more or less self contained story with this movie, or at least give us a satisfying conclusion.

I mean, he must know that the probability of this doing well enough for a sequel is... Not great. At least at first glance.

I hope it makes a fuckton of money.

Wasn't it approved as a two-part project to begin with? I know the script only covers the first half of the novel.

Oct 25, 2017
Will there be a Latino subtext with Isaac and Bardem joining the cast? Or will they just be raceless in the film

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I will go see anything Villeneuve puts out.

Blade Runner 2049 is one of the best things I've ever seen put to film.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
My soul will be crushed if we only ever get part 1 of this. Especially because the second half of the book is where it really comes into its own, you know?

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't it approved as a two-part project to begin with? I know the script only covers the first half of the novel.

I remember reading in the last thread we had about the subject that the sequel is dependent on the success of the first movie.

Myself, I found this quote of his on Canadian newspaper La Presse:

Mon souhait aurait été de réaliser les deux films en même temps mais ce sera trop cher. On les fera un à la fois.

Which is saying that even though he would've liked to film both at the same time, it would be too expensive and so they will film each one individually.

Doesn't exactly confirm that the sequel is dependent on the success of the first movie, but logically, if it bombs too hard, the studio can call off the sequel.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I basically think Denis is going to make this Star Wars. This is not going to be a slow "art" film like BR 2049 was.
Dune is Star Wars. I've made this case before, but if Dune isn't a spectacular, swashbuckling epic, it's a bad adaptation. That's the book. The themes and ideas are complex, but at its core the book is an adventure story with the trappings of... well, Star Wars before Star Wars.

Oct 28, 2017
Dune is Star Wars. I've made this case before, but if Dune isn't a spectacular, swashbuckling epic, it's a bad adaptation. That's the book. The themes and ideas are complex, but at its core the book is an adventure story with the trappings of... well, Star Wars before Star Wars.
Well, yea, I just meant in terms of the tone and making it more commercially accessible.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Feels like this has all the makings of being the seminal sci-fi film of our time. I may be hyping it up a bit too much.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
So far we have this cast:
Timothee Chamalet as Paul
Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica
Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto (in talks)
Zendaya as Chani (in talks)
Stellan Skarsgaard as Baron Harkonnen
Dave Bautista as Rabban
Javier Bardem as Stilgar (in talks)
Charlotte Rampling as Reverend Mother

Dude is stacking this film with talent.
Literally jumped out of my seat and screamed reading this list

Can't wait dot jif

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Well, yea, I just meant in terms of the tone and making it more commercially accessible.
That's exactly what I mean. It's like Star Wars without all the pulp (or maybe most). I think Dune is poised for greater commercial success than BR2049 solely by virtue of its source material, so long as Denis doesn't lose sight of the basic premise. It's a hero's journey with plenty of action and exciting iconography embedded in the text.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, can Villeneuve can get some stacked films, damn. Probably my #1 anticipated movie in 2020 at the moment.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

The cast of this plus Denis, gaddamn
Yeah, this is definitely starting to be my reaction with each new announcement.

I'm two for two... When we had the Oscar Isaac thread title, I suddenly wondered "Hm.. I wonder who's playing Leto? We haven't heard that yet, have we?" And when I saw this thread, it suddenly popped into my head "Hm.. I wonder who's playing Stilgar?" Shit you not, it's like it pops into my head just before I open the thread. Maybe I'm just subconsciously jumping to the character that I think the actor could best portray. I think I might have done it for Stellan Skarsgård, too.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Talking with my wife about who could play Feyd, she had similar thoughts about Jack Gleason it even Tom Felton, because both can play absolute bastards well. But she pointed out how Feyd should not only be same age range as Paul but should be pretty, and have this scary intelligent presence to him. And as bad as it sounds, Gleason and Felton aren't pretty enough for Feyd.

We need to look to the CW levels for pretty for Feyd.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Oh my fuck, I absolutely LOVE Bardem. This is becoming insane. And as Stilgar? Amazing.

This is also the first I've heard that Charlotte Rampling is in too.