• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
As usual, Ezra Miller uses They/Them pronouns please respectfully use those pronouns when talking about Ezra.

Those eyebrow-raising events have led to speculation about Warner Bros.' plans for the blockbuster-hopeful, which serves as the first solo film for Barry Allen, a.k.a. the Scarlet Speedster, a.k.a. the Flash. Would the studio actually replace Miller with another actor? Will it jettison the film to HBO Max in an attempt to limit potentially negative fanfare that could accompany a theatrical release? Or will Warner Bros. keep the movie in theaters on June 23, 2023 as planned?

Barring unforeseen developments, sources say, Warners is barreling ahead with intention to give the superhero film the full blockbuster treatment. "The Flash" simply cost too much money to scrap the project entirely and it likely will not generate the revenues needed to turn a profit without playing in theaters. For option three to happen without triggering a major backlash, Miller would need to be on their best behavior. And that's a big question, because so far Miller has been dogged by one controversy after another, leaving collaborators concerned about the actor's welfare.

Compounding matters, news broke on Wednesday that veteran film executives Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy are replacing Toby Emmerich as chairs of Warner Bros. Motion Picture Group. Any leadership changes at a studio puts the previous regime's film slate in limbo; with Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslov keeping a tight grip on cost controls at the company, the marketing spend for a movie as big as "The Flash" remains a question.

With "The Flash," insiders say it would not be possible to replace Miller without reshooting the entire movie. They are in just about every scene, and there is not enough digital technology in existence to configure that magic without going back to square one. And redoing the entire film is not a realistic proposition for any movie — much less one that wrapped production months ago and already cost hundreds of millions.

However, analysts have pointed out that, with comic book heroes, the character itself is often a bigger star than the actor wearing the Lycra suit. "The thing about superheroes is… it doesn't really matter who is under the mask," Bock says. "You can plug and play different actors in those roles." Though Miller's take on the character has appeared in several DC-mashups, like "Justice League," Bock argues they're not "the face of The Flash yet." In other words, "Ezra is not Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man."

The way the studio sees it, "The Flash" is more than a standard superhero origin story. The movie, which begins as Barry Allen travels back in time to prevent his mother's murder, cracks open the DC multiverse, paving way for Batmans from alternate realities (namely, Keaton and Affleck) to overlap with Miller's Spandex-clad hero. Just think of the potential sequels, spinoffs and team-ups that could inspire.

"The Flash" also gives Warners another viable contender on its mission to keep up with Disney's commercially unrivaled Marvel Cinematic Universe. DC has several properties on schedule in 2022 and beyond, including "Shazam: Fury of the Gods," "Aquaman 2" and "DC League of Super-Pets." But crossover events like "The Flash" have become especially exciting to fans, especially after 2018's "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" successfully introduced to mainstream audiences the concept of the multiverse — and blockbuster ticket sales for 2021's "Spider-Man: No Way Home" and 2022's "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness" confirmed that moviegoers really, really like the concept.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
So reshoot the movie? Whats the point of releasing it and killing the brand?
With "The Flash," insiders say it would not be possible to replace Miller without reshooting the entire movie. They are in just about every scene, and there is not enough digital technology in existence to configure that magic without going back to square one. And redoing the entire film is not a realistic proposition for any movie — much less one that wrapped production months ago and already cost hundreds of millions.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I mean no shit, it would be a huge undertaking. Hell there's even two of them in certain scenes too going by the trailer lol

if Ezra doesn't get some help though soon I could see them replacing the actor for the sequel and in a tacked on ending as well.

famicorpse

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
Maybe the post credit scene will be something that they can use to replace them with an actor that isn't a trash human.

This sucks because I really loved Ezra before all this BS started happening.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
That was obvious. At most, Miller won't return in the next movie and WB will replace them.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If does well, they will just replace Miller for the followups, if it doesn't they will just eat the L and be like "Enjoy Flash on CW"

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I mean of course, this was a pipe dream. Ezra's fuckups make it tough to market, but they are not going to throw away a film that costs hundreds of millions of dollars.

Studio probably will do their best to make sure they behave as much as they have the power to do until they can release it, and re-cast them. Might let them put out a press release and bow out 'gracefully'

Last edited:

Disco

Oct 25, 2017

the news of this actor's messy life still hasn't really hit the zeitgeist. I don't think it would fuck up the brand at all as it stands now. its like saying the Chris Pratt hillsong church stuff will ruin Jurassic World 3 and Guardians 3.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this was obvious, they are the lead and have the most screentime, it would be a tremendous undertaking and they've already delayed the film enough.

That being said, given the story this is supposed to be adapting, there is a possibility the character will be recast.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Michael Keaton going to be doing a lot of heavy lifting in the press junkets.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
They will just have to wait until the next Flash appearance to make any actor changes. Just bring in Wally West in something and have him become the Flash.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
You're telling me a movie about the Flash has too many scenes with the Flash in it so they can't replace the actor playing the Flash? I'm shocked.

Give it to Corridor Digital, they'll AI replace the whole thing.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
That Variety tweet pretty much says it all.

Just call Gustin up to the majors for the next project.

It absolutely will not kill the brand.
You been around the block, when was the last time a tentpole dropped and they couldn't have the lead do the promotion circuit for it? Not counting deaths

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
no duh? any person with a brain would realize it's impossible to replace the MAIN CHARACTER of the movie without significantly going over budget

just recast afterwards

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
WB will probably just grab Miller and lock them in a hotel room under guard until the film is relesed... no PR, no public appearances.

May 14, 2021
If I don't watch the movie, it'll be like they never were in it. Replace Ezra going forward if you want my money.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Because the cost of reshooting an entire movie is probably umpteenth times more than what they'll lose on this... and by probably I mean basically definitely

Release the movie, preclude them from the marketing and pr, and then move on from them.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they get the help they need. Miller has always been good in everything they are in, but I can't help but feel like they need a better support structure then is possible At the moment.

Its sad really. Especially since from the beginning this film has been a labor of lover for Miller, fighting to keep it in production for years.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Tig Notaro was digitally placed in the movie to replace Chris D'elia.
Probably not. The article itself says it'd be a massive unrealistic undertaking to make it happen, to the point where it literally says the tech isn't there to do so with how much Ezra is in The Flash. At this point, we just have to take the L and hope they recast going forward.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing they could do to make it up to fans is get Grant Gustin to permanently stay on as Flash after this. Ezra Miller was never a good pick for these movies.

May 14, 2021
Probably not then. The article itself says it'd be a massive unrealistic undertaking to make it happen, to the point where it literally says the tech isn't there to do so with how much Ezra is in The Flash. At this point, we just have to take the L and hope they recast going forward.
Yeah there's not a chance. Tig really only had a few scenes. Some of which they shot new after the fact.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Yeah, financially speaking, that ship sailed...probably months ago.

Just have to hope they're dropped going forward.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
theplaylist.net

Zack Snyder To Use Reshoots/CGI To Replace Chris D'Elia With Tig Notaro In 'Army Of The Dead'

Even though Tig Notaro and Chris D’Elia are both stand-up comedians, the comparisons end right there. D’Elia’s brand of humor is completely different from Notaros, not to mention the completely opposite physical statures of both. However, the comedians’ differences don’t seem to be much of an...

Ah nm. Sounds like it's not viable.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Yes Ezra is the star of the movie as the flash. The Flash is literally part of the title of the movie. The movie was shot and finished months ago.

Ezra being in almost every scene in the movie and WB not wanting to reshoot an entire movie again is not surprising to me at all.

BUT what wanted to know is what are they going to do for the end scene, or the mid credit scene, or the post credit scene? Will WB setup a new actor?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Expecting the studio to recast the character and reshoot the movie was never realistic.

Ezra is gonna get the boot after the movie is out.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Tig Notaro was digitally placed in the movie to replace Chris D'elia.
theplaylist.net

Zack Snyder To Use Reshoots/CGI To Replace Chris D'Elia With Tig Notaro In 'Army Of The Dead'

Even though Tig Notaro and Chris D’Elia are both stand-up comedians, the comparisons end right there. D’Elia’s brand of humor is completely different from Notaros, not to mention the completely opposite physical statures of both. However, the comedians’ differences don’t seem to be much of an...

Ah nm. Sounds like it's not viable.
Oh ok I rememebr that, I was miss reading it as "Army of Darkness"

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always in for more Tig Nataro.

You been around the block, when was the last time a tentpole dropped and they couldn't have the lead do the promotion circuit for it? Not counting deaths

I'm sure there's plenty of places that'll give Ezra press without asking about the other stuff. And anywhere else, they'll roll out Keaton and it'll go gangbusters.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I imagine the success of this movie has a lot less to do with the main actors controversies, to be honest. Maybe I'm wrong and obviously the studio won't be happy with their behavior anyway if course, and I can see them being replaced immediately after, but I don't know that the public is going to adamantly refuse to watch the movie because of Ezra, or that they'll be single handedly killing the brand.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Here's the thing. It's a long time until this movie releases. Ezra could get into a lot more trouble between now and then.

It's a lot of money at stake, but my guess is if the shit keeps hitting the fan, this movie is jettisoned to HBO Max. At some point the juice won't be worth the squeeze.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
And along with aquaman I won't be supporting it. Sigh. And flash is my fav d.c hero.