• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine what was going through Ford's mind we he acting alongside some dude in a mocap suit and pretended he was a dog.

"Ya now, suddenly another Star Wars film doesn't seem like a bad idea..."

I would watch the movie if it just had this dude in the mo-cap suit pretending to be a dog for the entire movie.

Same.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
wbOuSVKeyCHkU3yQ7-zW7cxSQQNdfPMBCv6LoZPNKfYNlvHPkEOSJNwN50QBLo7nB8UA12lYgEWw85u8v86PdnZSc9QT0sxVZTCP8mMawry9wkLXc_PZ-aipQXRSGcoVxwb5-r5SWz-ctfoen_KUXEWV

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It had a bigger opening weekend than any of the other dog-centric movies, and has the same Rotten Tomatoes score as Sonic the Hedgehog. It's not performing poorly or reviewing badly, they just spent too much money on it.
Ah, didn't know that. Even though Sonic turned out to be trash, so not a great companion lol. Maybe they got overzealous after seeing how well dog movies do, so went above and beyond on the budget.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
CGI dog aside, the thought of watching latter day Harrison Ford's dead-eyed scowl for two hours is super unappealing. Dude sucks the energy out of every film he's in.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some of my relatives have been trying to get me to go see this, but won't say why.
Is this version conservative propaganda like a Clint Eastwood movie?

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
From what I heard, the stunts in the film would be inhumane to put a real dog through, hence the CG dog.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Honest to god, it looks far more like a match for PS2-era FMVs... It doesn't even look grounded into the scene.
So when they make a joke about this at the Oscars or some other award show, will the poor CGI artists rise up? Again?

Cause with that budget, I'm struggling to think of why it looks so bad. They started filming in Sept 2018, so I would think they had enough time.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Era, what's your favourite flop of 2020 featuring ropey CGI animals and actors who don't give a fuck about their respective blockbuster franchises anymore?

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
All movie execs, before greenlighting 100+ million dollar budget movie projects should ask themselves "Do people actually want to see this?' At least in blockbuster producing numbers.

Lets be fair- there will always be an audience for "dog movies". But you don't make a dog movie that needs $250+ million to begin thinking about a profit. Dog movies (even larger budget ones) probably shouldn't go much more than 50 million, tops.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You want a fantastic canine film that will make you stand up from your seat?

Watching that trailer gets me choked up after seeing the film. Just pure heroism.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
huh ? dog looks a lot better than that gif of the mocap actor animorphing into em

Oct 27, 2017
Is that dog in the GIF the one they actually translated to in the movie, or did someone just make that for fun?

Because people are using the (human) puppet in Dreams on the PS4 and turning it into animals, sometimes with "interesting" results. That's what the guy performing the dog reminded me of a little.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
That's not true. Disney could have just shelved the movie. Not sure why you think they'd have to release it.
They couldn't have "just shelved the movie." A major Hollywood movie is rarely allowed to be shelved these days thanks to shareholders and producers so I doubt they considered that as an option at all since there were no controversies around the project. They likely couldn't have shelved it without a severe issue as the reason and iffy CGI is just not at all relevant.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Hollywood really needs to go back to making everything as cheap as possible(within reason), the amount of money going into everything is absurd. This apparently cost more than Ad Astra for crying out loud.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They couldn't have "just shelved the movie." A major Hollywood movie is rarely allowed to be shelved these days thanks to shareholders and producers so I doubt they considered that as an option at all since there were no controversies around the project. They likely couldn't have shelved it without a severe issue as the reason and iffy CGI is just not at all relevant.

Companies shelve products all the time, even after spending years working on it. Think about how many games have been cancelled after years of hype. Disney isn't some special outlier who has to release everything it begins.