• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Just so you all know, 20th Century Fox was created when Fox Studios merged with 20th Century Pictures.

HZlBHIe.jpg

Back to the 30s it is then!

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Fox News was never on the table. Its one of the main pieces of the media empire Murdoch wanted to keep.

You actually linked to an article that echos what I said:
It's interesting because Fox News is the crown jewel of 21CF's cable business—it's the most-watched news network on cable and drives healthy results for its parent company—but Disney, which already owns ABC, is not interested in beefing up its news operation with this deal.
But sure, Murdoch might have wanted to keep it too.

Either way, it wasn't a legal problem, which was the point I was making.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, this is good news so Fox can go along alone as the brand for straight up propaganda and not be confused with anything else.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Iger himself stated that the deal was carefully structured to pass legal objections. That said, they still had to divest the regional sports networks.

FCC would not have allowed Disney to acquire Fox Broadcasting and Fox News while Disney owns ABC. Nor Comcast while owning NBC.

Fox News is a cash cow, Murdoch wouldn't have sold it.
I read everything available on the subject and the antitrust concerns for the sale to Disney didn't have anything to do with FN, Disney's holdings don't include a 24 hour news channel like Comcast's does. The concerns seemed to cover one company holding control over that much content but FN could have been easily swapped out for any other piece of Fox had Disney actually been interested in it.

And Fox News may have high viewership but it's not a cash cow. The last internals we had suggested that Murdoch and other partners were subsidizing it because of how many advertisers have left the network.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Iger himself stated that the deal was carefully structured to pass legal objections. That said, they still had to divest the regional sports networks.

FCC would not have allowed Disney to acquire Fox Broadcasting and Fox News while Disney owns ABC. Nor Comcast while owning NBC.

Fox News is a cash cow, Murdoch wouldn't have sold it.
I don't think Fox News was part of the legal issues - it's just a cable news network and Disney doesn't own one of those. ABC made owning FOX an issue because of broadcasting I guess, but cable isn't a big deal. Disney acquired other cable channels in this very deal.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Long term that's the right call.

Next I think they need to kill Hulu, and cut any deals they can with NBC to have SNL and other major content on Disney+ along with their own Fox and ABC content. Disney+ is great for young families, but it needs more diversification. Having fewer streaming services not only increases the appeal, but more recurring content keeps people from subbing for 1 month a year.

Their expanding their Hulu service by adding FX and making it the landing space for everything adult related. It's going to be the home of searchlight tv and will likely be the home for the entire searchlight library when it returns from HBO. NBC is keeping its major content on its service, peacock.

I don't think Disney+ is suffering from a lack of interest or appeal, I know you have some people saying it's not for them etc, the service wasn't made for all people.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Oh right, what the hell are they gonna call FX/FXX now if they are abandoning the FOX branding?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Their expanding their Hulu service by adding FX and making it the landing space for everything adult related. It's going to be the home of searchlight tv and will likely be the home for the entire searchlight library when it returns from HBO. NBC is keeping its major content on its service, peacock.

I don't think Disney+ is suffering from a lack of interest or appeal, I know you have some people saying it's not for them etc, the service wasn't made for all people.
Yeah, having both Hulu and D+ is a perfectly reasonable strategy for now. If that eventually changes they can merge them.
Oh right, what the hell are they gonna call FX/FXX now if they are abandoning the FOX branding?
FX and FXX. Most people don't really associate those names with Fox anyway.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna be a while to adjust to the new branding, but it makes sense. Like others have said, the current name originates from a merger of two companies (20th Century Pictures + Fox Film) from roughly 80 years ago.

Related trivia--this is also how we got the MGM brand / name we have today, it's the merger of two companies (Mayer + Metro-Goldwyn), which itself was a merger of two companies (Metro + Goldwyn). The lion marquee motif actually originates with Goldwyn.

A_Goldwyn_Picture.jpg

image0231.jpg

image004721.jpg

Wonder if the were going to do the "X" highlight with The New Mutants movie?

For now I quess that they will not do anything

I imagine the 20th Century re-branding will be finalized well after the movie's release, so it will still probably use the 20th Century Fox brand (and allow them to re-use that "X" highlight variant).

Although to hypothetically suggest a replacement solution--they could have the searchlights visibly intersect to create an X, and have that illuminate on top of the logo.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
In my humble opinion FXX shouldn't continue to exist. It's a completely redundant channel and most of its schedule comprises of either Simpsons reruns or movies, both of which are also shown on other channels(Freeform now shows classic Simpsons episodes). Been saying for a while that I could see a situation where FXX is shut down.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I read everything available on the subject and the antitrust concerns for the sale to Disney didn't have anything to do with FN, Disney's holdings don't include a 24 hour news channel like Comcast's does. The concerns seemed to cover one company holding control over that much content but FN could have been easily swapped out for any other piece of Fox had Disney actually been interested in it.

And Fox News may have high viewership but it's not a cash cow. The last internals we had suggested that Murdoch and other partners were subsidizing it because of how many advertisers have left the network.
You said that Murdoch wanted to sell his entire empire to Disney. That implies that Disney would have acquired the entirety of 21st Century Fox. That transaction would not have gone through. The anti-trust concerns would have centered around Fox Broadcasting, Fox Sports and the regional Fox Sport Networks. There is no way that Murdoch would have kept those assets without Fox News.

Fox News is a cash cow.

Jul 4, 2018
I'm fine with this, I think the Searchlight name by itself is held in high regard. Also as many have mentioned 20th Century Pictures is just a throwback to pre-merger with Fox times.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
You said that Murdoch wanted to sell his entire empire to Disney. That implies that Disney would have acquired the entirety of 21st Century Fox. That transaction would not have gone through. The anti-trust concerns would have centered around Fox Broadcasting, Fox Sports and the regional Fox Sport Networks. There is no way that Murdoch would have kept those assets without Fox News.

Fox News is a cash cow.
I may have misunderstood how much of Fox Murdoch was interested in selling but nothing I've read since I started looking over it today suggests that FN was never on the table and that Disney couldn't buy it, which was what you chimed in to say.

And this is a year old but CNN at 2nd place in ratings brought home more that twice FN's profits

Murdoch's desire to hold onto it has a lot more to do with its influence than to do with money.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
The box office bombs that Disney was mandated to distribute were a financial turd to their 2019 streak of billion dollar hits. That was the final nail in the coffin which proved that moviegoers didn't really care for 20th Century Fox as much as film fandom say they do.

A subtle rebranding to transform the 21st Century Fox assets into cleaner subsidiaries that no longer suffer the inorganic corporate baggage from Rupert Murdoch was just smart business.

Kind of sad but Fox News ruined the name

The Fox legacy has layers of irony. William Fox founded Fox Film which merged with 20th Century Pictures to give us 20th Century Fox.

Rupert Murdoch later acquired 20th Century Fox to grow his media empire and lauched Fox News later on to corporately synergise his media assets.

Curious what they'll rename the Fox channel once Fox News finally leaves it.

If I was Disney, I'd re-brand it as Hulu Television Networks. Hulu did originate as a joint venture between Comcast, WarnerMedia, 21st Century Fox and Disney to stream television series so it'd be a smart throwback to Hulu's origins.

Wonder if we're going to see Sinclair rebrand the FOX Sports regional channels they bought next.

Rupert Murdoch selling the Fox Regional Sports Networks was a stupid idea. Not only were they the only asset that both Disney and Comcast could not legally acquire without breaking antitrust laws, but the spin-off company of New Fox was created with the purpose of cable news and live sports.

So baffingly counterintuitive.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
"This is the way."

In all seriousness, considering how much of a glorified, propaganda machine Fox News is (and all around just terrible), what company would want to associate with them?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
For those concerned about the logo and fanfare:

"Downhill," a comedic drama starring Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, will be the first movie to bear the Searchlight Pictures name. It arrives in theaters on Feb. 14. "The Call of the Wild," set for release on Feb. 21 and starring Harrison Ford, will carry the 20th Century logo. The trumpet fanfare (composed by Alfred Newman in 1933), klieg lights and familiar monolith logo will remain.

BigMack

Oct 27, 2017
As long as they dont go back and edit the studio logos in old movies, I'm cool with this. Searchlight Pictures will take some getting used to though. Fox Searchlight is too is too iconic to me

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I do wonder if there is a connection there.

Same. Tho it's Newman, versus Neuman.

The EC editors grew up listening to radio, and this was frequently reflected in their stories, names and references. The name "Alfred E. Neuman" derived from comedian Henry Morgan's "Here's Morgan" radio series on Mutual, ABC and NBC. One character on his show had a name that was a reference to composer Alfred Newman, who scored many films and also composed the familiar fanfare that accompanies 20th Century Fox's opening film logo.[22] The possible inspiration for Henry Morgan was that Laird Cregar portrayed Sir Henry Morgan in The Black Swan (1942) with Tyrone Power, and the Oscar-nominated score for that film was by Newman. Listening to the sarcastic Morgan's brash broadcasts, the Mad staff took note and reworked the name into Neuman, as later recalled by Kurtzman:

The name Alfred E. Neuman was picked up from Alfred Newman, the music arranger from back in the 1940s and 1950s. Actually, we borrowed the name indirectly through The Henry Morgan Show. He was using the name Newman for an innocuous character that you'd forget in five minutes. So we started using the name Alfred Neuman. The readers insisted on putting the name and the face together, and they would call the "What, Me Worry?" face Alfred Neuman.[22]

Mystery solved. Thanks, Wikipedia Brown.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Same. Tho it's Newman, versus Neuman.

The EC editors grew up listening to radio, and this was frequently reflected in their stories, names and references. The name "Alfred E. Neuman" derived from comedian Henry Morgan's "Here's Morgan" radio series on Mutual, ABC and NBC. One character on his show had a name that was a reference to composer Alfred Newman, who scored many films and also composed the familiar fanfare that accompanies 20th Century Fox's opening film logo.[22] The possible inspiration for Henry Morgan was that Laird Cregar portrayed Sir Henry Morgan in The Black Swan (1942) with Tyrone Power, and the Oscar-nominated score for that film was by Newman. Listening to the sarcastic Morgan's brash broadcasts, the Mad staff took note and reworked the name into Neuman, as later recalled by Kurtzman:

Mystery solved. Thanks, Wikipedia Brown.

Well holy shit.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Actually noticed today that the 20th Century Fox Television logos at the end of The Simpsons episodes currently on Disney+ still say "A News Corporation Company" on them. Wonder if that's something Disney will eventually fix.

Was checking logos because early episodes of the show used to have the old 20th Television logo, where the word "Television" zooms out to cover up the word "Century" in the logo(as seen in countless pre 1990s Fox TV shows, like the 1960s Batman for example). At some point 20th Television replaced the old logo with a newer one on most episodes, but a handful retained them on the DVD releases(I believe season 3's "Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington" was one). However none of the episode copies on Disney+ feature the old logo as far as I can tell.

I don't know I have a certain nostalgia for the old zooming 20th Television logo, just don't see the logo often anymore. Just dumb unimportant things that most people don't worry about when watching TV shows, but small things like that are things I tend to notice.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They need a new name for Fox. FX is fine, FXX is redundant as already stated and can go. Leaving the broadcast channel with the same name needs to be rectified asap. Unless they plan on scrapping it and consolidating it with ABC.

May 24, 2019
The box office bombs that Disney was mandated to distribute were a financial turd to their 2019 streak of billion dollar hits. That was the final nail in the coffin which proved that moviegoers didn't really care for 20th Century Fox as much as film fandom say they do.

Ford v Ferrari did well critically and commercially didn't it?

Edi: Jojo and A Hidden Life were critical darlings, and that's what you'd want from your small film branch.
It's gotten Disney into the Oscars for more than the usual technical awards.

Last edited:

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
This was obviously going to happen back when we first found out about the deal between Disney and Fox. There being two Fox entities was never going to happen long term.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Makes sense, I'd imagine that Disney doesn't want to be tied to Fox News in branding. As long as the fanfare stays (which seems to be the case going by the report), all is well.