• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm confused though because I saw that FX networks content was coming to Disney's Hulu, but on Wikipedia, Fox Corp page says it still owns Fox Broadcasting Company, Fox News, and Fox Sports. I guess I'm confused because Fox Network I thought owned FX but now FX page says it's owned by Disney, yet Fox Broadcasting Network says that the Fox channel is still supplied by Fox Studios despite Disney owning Fox Studios.
Disney already owns ABC so as per the FCC broadcast rules they cannot own the Fox broadcast television network. So the Fox broadcast television network is now effectively licensing the content from Disney (Fox Studios).

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Good.

Tainted name because of Fox News anyway.
Despite knowing better, my mind lumps them
Together and I tend to just avoid Fox content in general. Thanks for helping me get over it Disney Masters.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
yessss. I hope they continue to grow. Please absorb more studios and more IPs disney!
1461260096.jpg

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I wonder if they'll ever rename the FX products? I imagine they won't because what the hell would they rename them to without effectively removing the brand recognition.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so Disney doesn't own the Fox channel, but they do own FX and FXX? Wonder if Disney plans to stop producing stuff for the Fox channel.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Long term that's the right call.

Next I think they need to kill Hulu, and cut any deals they can with NBC to have SNL and other major content on Disney+ along with their own Fox and ABC content. Disney+ is great for young families, but it needs more diversification. Having fewer streaming services not only increases the appeal, but more recurring content keeps people from subbing for 1 month a year.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
This was entirely expected as Murdoch kept the name Fox for his own networks etc.

A sad end for this once proud studio. Still, at least Searchlight is still around....for now.

What does the fox say

Probably something factual like Fox News creator and owner Rupert Murdoch and his family are the largest collective shareholders in Disney.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Next I think they need to kill Hulu, and cut any deals they can with NBC to have SNL and other major content on Disney+ along with their own Fox and ABC content. Disney+ is great for young families, but it needs more diversification. Having fewer streaming services not only increases the appeal, but more recurring content keeps people from subbing for 1 month a year.
Disney doesn't want Mature rated content on Disney+.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

No chance of them getting SNL. NBCUniversal has their own service coming in a few months that will compete directly with Hulu and Disney+ using the NBC and Universal current shows and catalogs.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

They're not killing Hulu. They want to keep Disney+ kid-friendly, so all the R-rated and more heavy films and series will be on Hulu. Don't ever expect stuff like Logan, Deadpool or even Jojo Rabbit (which has one 'fuck') on D+.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the Fox name come from them originally rather than Murdoch's shitshow? Makes it kind of disappointing in that regard, albeit not surprising.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This was my thought as well.

Fox News is still a thing after all.

Wonder what Fox network and FX will be called if this is the case.
Fox Network is still owned by Murdoch alongside Fox News and Sports. It won't change. FX on the other hand is now a Disney property, so who knows there?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This had to be done, even if there is a certain nostalgic sadness to losing the name and fanfare.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
It's weird but all this does is take the studio back to the name it bore before it merged with Fox Film Corporation(founded by William Fox) in the 1930s. Look up the history of Twentieth Century Pictures and Fox Film Corp. It's just that after decades people are used to the name 20th Century Fox rather than a name that was only used for a few years before the two companies merged.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping they'd put the fanfare back into Star Wars with TRoS. The silent "Lucasfilm" still feels weird.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

They want Hulu to put R (and probably some PG13) stuff on there. They don't want that on Disney +

May 24, 2019
As long as you let these divisions work, fine.
I wonder if they'll rent out old Fox movies to repertory theaters now with edited intros (though they should definitely lighten up and not do that last part)

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
This was always going to happen, still sad to see one of the big studio brands basically erased.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
No they weren't.

The government would not have allowed it.
I can't find what I remembered reading from back then, it was so long ago it was from before Comcast tried to ruin the deal, but it was some second hand info anyway since I don't think that Murdoch ever commented officially.

I also can't find anything saying that Disney buying Fox News wouldn't have been legally allowed for any reason. The closest thing I could find on the subject was an article saying Disney ultimately wasn't interested in FN, they only wanted Fox's entertainment portfolio.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I can't find what I remembered reading from back then, it was so long ago it was from before Comcast tried to ruin the deal, but it was some second hand info anyway since I don't think that Murdoch ever commented officially.

I also can't find anything saying that Disney buying Fox News wouldn't have been legally allowed for any reason. The closest thing I could find on the subject was an article saying Disney ultimately wasn't interested in FN, they only wanted Fox's entertainment portfolio.
Iger himself stated that the deal was carefully structured to pass legal objections. That said, they still had to divest the regional sports networks.

FCC would not have allowed Disney to acquire Fox Broadcasting and Fox News while Disney owns ABC. Nor Comcast while owning NBC.

Fox News is a cash cow, Murdoch wouldn't have sold it.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Disney owns ESPN and ABC.
I'm talking about what Disney owns of the Fox empire now. I'm aware they've owned ABC and ESPN for ages, but was confused on how they have FX but not FOX network but are also the studio making the shows for FOX network. I think I get it now though.