• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Blade30

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Roger Deakins on this project? Its very important to know
Unfortunately no.

One of the most highly anticipated upcoming tentpoles officially has a cinematographer attached: Greig Fraser is set to work with Denis Villeneuve on his ambitious "Dune" remake. The "Arrival" director is planning a two-part movie. Variety's awards editor Kris Tapley broke the news, and IndieWire has confirmed the hiring with Fraser's representatives.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/12/d...ways-greig-fraser-cinematographer-1202025557/

Oct 25, 2017
Never read the books but judging from the reactions he seems to have a similar small role, oh well hopefully it will be at least bigger than his role in BR2049.
Really depends. Rabban's role is pretty important in the story, but previous movies have very much underused Rabban as the focus is less on him and what his role in the plan is.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

Cool. Kinda hoped him being one of the good guys but I wonder how he will portray that role, should give some more credit to his acting chops (which have been great so far. I think it was Robin Williams that said something like "if you can play comedy, you can play almost anything)

The cinematographer for Dune is the guy who did Rogue One.

One can poop on Rogue One, but it did look good.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As soon as I read the title, I knew he was going to be the Beast Rabban. This thing is basically my dream project. My god.

And Timothee Chalamet already has my sword, axe and bow.

Villeneueve has already made it clear that it's going to be very different from the Lynch film, so take this for the nerd-passion it expresses, but Chalamet said,

"My enthusiasm for the David Lynch version is through the roof."

He's read the books and obviously the script too.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Villeneueve has already made it clear that it's going to be very different from the Lynch film

I'm a big fan of what he did with Blade Runner 2049, which, as a sci-film, I find to be much more interesting than the "original". I have no doubt he can spin the story in a fashion that will honor the book and also have something to tell.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, Bautista getting these awesome roles. If only Rock knew how to act and was willing to be a supporting actor, he could get some interesting roles. Interesting to see how different their post WWE careers have gone.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The lack of Roger Deakins Is a major disappointment to me.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Kind if a sidenote but, from that article: when did they cast Rebecca Ferguson?! Apparently she's playing Jessica?

Is anyone familiar with her? Cause Jessica is one of my favorite characters in literature. Hope they do her justice.
She's Ilsa Faust from the last 2 Mission Impossibles and she's fantastic.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm crazy about this cast. Also, I must have missed the news about Greig Fraser shooting, but I'm fine with it.

I'm reading Dune for the first time right now. Perfect timing I guess.
Me too. I got 80 pages into the first Dune book last year. I am planning on finishing the book sometime this year. It's such a treat, and it's super interesting.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was that Sting's character in the old movie?

Edit: wrong, it was the other guy, the fat one.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For sure. Dune's story means the right wing are gonna hate it the moment it comes out.

The left might also hate it for its "white savior" narrative (which the book actually subverts, but still).

I don't know how he's going to handle it, but lots of subverted saviors have been digested byfolks oblivious to the subversion and happy to have the surface appearance of that thing.

I think there's a huge opportunity and danger to show the weirdly prescient but reall on-the-nose Bin Laden coincidences:

1. Barren desert sits atop substance pivotal to transport and energy and the entire economy.
2. Foreign, educated son of wealthy industrialists hides in mountainous cave to start a jihad with locals.
3. Creates a distributed army of terrorists to eject their new evil godless capitalist occupiers and wreak havoc domestically and abroad.
4. Politicians, Industry and military aligning to protect their now at-risk resource.
5. His enemies grappling with the the risk of creating a martyr and endless jihad.

Like they either have to lean into that or try to not accidentally make that bulletproof point list. Dune was created as an allegory for some of the Middle Eastern and military industrial conflict, but it really shows how cyclical and problematic it has been.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as I read the title, I knew he was going to be the Beast Rabban. This thing is basically my dream project. My god.

Villeneueve has already made it clear that it's going to be very different from the Lynch film, so take this for the nerd-passion it expresses, but Chalamet said,

Hire Dave for some Halo role, I want the man in everything.

Also yeah Dune has A LOT of things going for it right now, can not wait to see the final product.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm crazy about this cast. Also, I must have missed the news about Greig Fraser shooting, but I'm fine with it.

Me too. I got 80 pages into the first Dune book last year. I am planning on finishing the book sometime this year. It's such a treat, and it's super interesting.

Read ALL the Frank Herbert ones and stop there. Seriously. Like Highlander 2 levels of stop there. Dune and Dune Messiah are almost universally loved, and the others well liked, but I loved them ALL. If I get to see Bashar Miles Teg escape the Honored Matres torture room in my lifetime... then whooo.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder who they're going to cast for the Fremen characters considering they're basically an insert for Middle Eastern Muslims.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
oh man

Dave Bautista as the villain nephew?

giphy.gif

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

It is easily my most anticipated movie. I still watch the Syfy miniseries Dune once a year. I wasn't a big fan of the Lynch version, although it certainly is iconic. It's such a great book series, and it deserves a truly awesome adaptation. That the casting choices seem more and more on point with each announcement is sending me to unprecedented hype levels. Forget Avengers Endgame, this is the movie I want out now.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He seems a little old for Rabban (unless I'm misremembering) but he's a really solid actor so whatever.

Rabban in canon is 61 when he dies. The physical age is almost meaningless though because a) The main effect of spice is actually geriatric and makes people live longer and look younger b) It's 10000 years in the future and humans are highly tuned, if not literally evolved, by technology and especially breeding.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The question is who is gonna play Feyd-Rautha? Can Adam Driver pull off the cod piece speedo?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He was only in BR2049 for a little bit but made such a huge impression

Hopefully this is just as good

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
Now I just need to read Dune before this comes out.
Go do it now! I need to reread them; it's been a while since I've done so and I'm always finding something new when I do. There's so many expertly woven layers and the writing itself still holds up very well, despite how long ago they were written (I find some older books I read can seem "simple" if that makes sense).

I don't keep many physical books these days (Kindle owner), but I keep physical copies of the Dune series to lend out to friends still. :D As Stinkles said, avoid the sequels/prequels. I tried to read them just to have more Dune in my life but urgh, the writing is so bad.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Timothee Chalamet is starring as Paul?

Didn't know that...Not sure how I feel it either. A bit old

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rabban? Waste of Bautista.

Rabban has a LOT to do in the original book, and isn't just a thug, he's a fratricidal incompetent bureaucrat who's tasked with running the entire planet and screws it (and therefore the anti-insurgency and glactic enconomy) up massively (and tries to hide the evidence) before his Uncle and the Emperor realize how badly. So there's a TON of stuff to work with. Especially if, as Villeneuve suggests, it may be two movies for the first book.

In the Lynch movie he's really more or less a background character and the Baron is seen to handle much of what Rabban does in the book.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
I have zero recollection of this character, but Bautista is great so I'm down for it. Villeneuve is fantastic and his Dune has been one of my most anticipated since it was announced. Also I had no idea that Chalamet was cast as Paul, that's a great get.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Lovely casting. I really appreciate that they're going younger for Paul too. I'm not sure anyone can replace the original Rabban for me but that's likely because Dune was such a formative movie for me when I was a child. I see everything Dune through their casting and set and costume design. Denis could literally just use the exact same design and redo the plot and I'd be thrilled lol. Really curious to see who gets cast as Feyd as well

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
Dream casting all around. Bautista will give a great physical contrast and Rebecca Ferguson casting couldn't be more perfect.