• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pauljeremiah

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
eodGHSx.gif

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn they totally can do a Fast Five and get back all those random characters from past MI films to make a super team.

Thandie Newton from 2.
Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Maggie Q, Laurence Fishburne from 3.
Paula Patton from 4.

Add them with Ferguson, Renner, Pegg and Rhames and you have a super spy team.

Oct 30, 2017
The only thing I dont like about these 2 parters is that you basically know in advance that nothing of real consequence will happen in the first and that it will end on a cliffhanger.

Oh well.

one of the best things about this series is its consistent willingness to beat the shit out of tom cruise for the sake of pacing and intensity even though you know things will be fine by the end.

this is great because it means they can do that for an entire movie and more!

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Hell Yes! The director changing each movie was unique and I like the spin they each brought, but Mi5 and Mi6 were excellent films, and I like that there is no a constant thread between the films. All that jumping and team switches were getting a tiny bit tiresome. Now bring back Renner since he is likely finished with the Avengers you cowards. Best part of 4.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout is fucking sick. I really recommend everyone check out the crazy-long Empire podcasts he did after the movie came out. They really get into the details of making huge films in a way I've never really seen before.

He also said at the end of it that he was done making MI films, lol

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
Goddamn they totally can do a Fast Five and get back all those random characters from past MI films to make a super team.

Thandie Newton from 2.
Paula Patton from 4.

Yes, please.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Give Rebecca Ferguson and Paula Patton their own spinoff movies and make sure they do nothing but take down bad guys with wrestling moves.

Treythalomew

Oct 27, 2017
Wow couldn't be more fantastic news. It feels like even though the movies have been great, they're just now getting more attention so I'm glad they'll get the chance to really pop off with a back to back showing.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Thandie Newton from 2.
Paula Patton from 4.

YES PLEASE - this would be perfect

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
On one hand, OMG YES PLEASE. On the other hand, I kinda feel bad that McQuarrie proved that he was an action blockbuster mastermind with one MI film and now his career is stuck on that 4 films in a row. Would love to see him direct stuff outside of the Cruise bubble to expand his range even more.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Watch them end part 1 with failing to stop the bad guys and part 2 is picking up the pieces after that.
That was the entire arc of Fallout though. In one film. Why do that again? I'll much rather see one film being a build up of a real serious threat in the background - watching them plan it and for it to come together piece by piece while there is another situation being dealt with, and as they successfully complete one mission, the other thing comes to the surface and everything just escalates more into a cliffhanger. Imagine two films of building escalation.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017

Thandie Newton from 2.
Paula Patton from 4.

Uff that would be amazing.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
McQuarrie is gonna be tied down to the Cruisetrain for life it seems.

The only thing I dont like about these 2 parters is that you basically know in advance that nothing of real consequence will happen in the first and that it will end on a cliffhanger.

Oh well.

Nothing of consequence ever happens in these movies anyway.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
That was the entire arc of Fallout though. In one film. Why do that again? I'll much rather see one film being a build up of a real serious threat in the background - watching them plan it and for it to come together piece by piece while there is another situation being dealt with, and as they successfully complete one mission, the other thing comes to the surface and everything just escalates more into a cliffhanger. Imagine two films of building escalation.
Because they didnt technically lose in Fallout. Sure, they lost the plutonium, but imagine if they ended Fallout with nukes going off and the sequel was picking up the pieces from that.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome news. After Fallout, I'm down with McQuarrie staying in the director's chair as long as he wants. How many long-running franchises like this peak in their *sixth* movie?!

And goddamn Cruise is going to be 60 years old when the last one comes out

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
this dude directs the ever loving hell out of mission impossible

im in not just for how far he can push the genre and series but also how far he can push Cruise lmao

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome news. After Fallout, I'm down with McQuarrie staying in the director's chair as long as he wants. How many long-running franchises like this peak in their *sixth* movie?!

And goddamn Cruise is going to be 60 years old when the last one comes out
Well there's The Fast and the Furious franchise.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting, but...

At this point in time, shouldn't everyone have issued orders to kill on sight, Ethan or anyone from
his crew?

Just knowing this dude is in the same continent as your operation should make you reconsider everything.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell yes. If these two films are merely as good as Fallout I'll be satisfied.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
And just like that McQuarrie went from the first ever director to helm two Mission: Impossible movies to the guy who directed half the series.

Speaks to his talent that he's been able to completely change how production of the M: I go. The series was famous for always having a different director to allow each film to feel and look different, now literally half of them will have been done by McQuarrie. How things change and change fast.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

I'd rather they just do two seperate unrelated missions, with Cruise receiving the next one at the end of M: I 7 in a clever self destructing message.

They often end these films with a life goes on, there's always another mission, but here we could actually get the next mission

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Series needs a foyle to Hawk, an Agent Hobbs style character

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
My thread should get deleted lol

And this being a back to back thing likely means transitioning out Ethan Hunt

Tom Cruise is also a producer on these films and the main draw. The only way they would be introducing/setting up a future lead for the series is if that's what Tom Cruise desires (highly unlikely). He's going to be making action movies into his 70s.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Wow so not even a trilogy, a quadrilogy? Cruise must have sent him truckloads of money.

Looking forward to them and hope they're great.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Tom Cruise is also a producer on these films and the main draw. The only way they would be introducing/setting up a future lead for the series is if that's what Tom Cruise desires (highly unlikely). He's going to be making action movies into his 70s.

By the time MI:8 is out he'll be 60, his body is not going to hold up for MI:9 when he's 62 or 63. He'll clearly still be in the movies but maybe as a mentor figure, someone like Jon Voight in the first film.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Good.

Best action franchise deserves one of the best action directors.

Ethan will have to transition to more of a Jim Phelps role before Cruise gets himself killed.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Good.

Best action franchise deserves one of the best action directors.

Ethan will have to transition to more of a Jim Phelps role before Cruise gets himself killed.

remember when mission impossible 4 and 5 had brandt, once again begging the question, 'jeremy renner?'

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I was so bored of the last one that I walked out. Didn't help that I had only seen a couple of others and had no idea who some of the characters were