• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
What a legend. From some of the responses here I'm going to guess I should probably avoid the show thread when it's airing because there's sure to be a lot of boohoo'ing from people that didn't get what they want.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I would be cool with more rogue Picard if the setting was different. Picard far from federation space being archaeologist and getting up in all kinds of shenanigans would be cool setting and giving chance to mix old and new trek.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Discovery S2 more than 1, but I hated how both ended up just being about saving the entire world/universe. This kind of seems like it's trending in that direction as well, but we'll see. I haven't really been following super closely as to what it's about. There's several plot threads from TNG they could pull at to set up an interesting sci-fi story.

I don't mind "action" Trek, but hopefully they strike a decent balance. Also really hoping the editing is better in this show than Discovery. The amount of quick cuts and other weird shit in that show is unbearable at times.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that would take a bit of timeline explaining since Discovery takes place before the Original Series took place (but after the time of the pilot). Its been my biggest complain about Discovery so far, its supposed to be before the Original Series but the tech and feel of the show seems the most modern timeline yet. I get that it has to feel futuristic to people in today's world and that is why, its just weird to think that was before the button and knobs of the original series.

I'm angry that real life is set hundreds of years before TOS and we have better UIs.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a lot of people in here haven't watched Discovery past the first season.

Anyway, I'm glad they're trying to do something different from TNG. If I want TNG, I'll watch TNG. I just want to the show to be good.
Sometimes to good to break outside the mold, if they didn't do the same many years ago we wouldn't have had the awesome DS9 series.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
"Star Trek: The Next Generation" and in a string of four feature films that ended in 2002. The new show is different from its predecessor in nearly every respect — texture, tone, format, production value, even the likelihood of characters dropping an f-bomb. That's all by design. Stewart's design.

Man, this is why I'm not overly excited for Picard though. It's also why I'm not very fond of how Discovery turned out.

What I really want is new modern Star Trek in a similar vein to TNG. I want the same texture, tone, format, production values, all done with new stories and casts.

I don't feel that the TNG style of Trek was broken, so why do they keep trying to "fix" it?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Sounds like a lot of people in here haven't watched Discovery past the first season.

Anyway, I'm glad they're trying to do something different from TNG. If I want TNG, I'll watch TNG. I just want to the show to be good.
Sometimes to good to break outside the mold, if they didn't do the same many years ago we wouldn't have had the awesome DS9 series.
I really don't get what some see in S2. It's just as bad as S1, but goes the extra step of actively throwing away the few interesting ideas S1 had.

And we've seen this version Trek before, every time they gave Stewart what he wanted (Starship Mine, Captain's Holiday, Insurrection, Nemesis). It's always been awful.

DS9 is amazing, and if this show reaches those heights then great. But I have my doubts...

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I really don't get what some see in S2. It's just as bad as S1, but goes the extra step of actively throwing away the few interesting ideas S1 had.

And we've seen this version Trek before, every time they gave Stewart what he wanted (Starship Mine, Captain's Holiday, Insurrection, Nemesis). It's always been awful.

DS9 is amazing, and if this show reaches those heights then great. But I have my doubts...
We need Ira Stephen Behr back in the writer's room.

And J. Michael Straczynski - either on ST or a Babylon 5 successor.

Isn't there some network mogul who has a soft spot for these kinds of heady sci-fi shows and is willing to write the check to bring them back in the modern era?

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
- Computer, give me my motherfucking Earl Grey tea and make it hot as fuck.

Can't wait.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017

I agree S2 of Discovery isn't perfect, but it shows them trying to correct their mistakes with S1. We'll see how it goes with S3 since they won't be restricted by canon.

Were those episodes and movies actually what he wanted or just focused more on him?

Anyway, I'm sure Picard will have the same reception as most long-standing franchises in recent years; most fans will hate it.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Well that would take a bit of timeline explaining since Discovery takes place before the Original Series took place (but after the time of the pilot). Its been my biggest complain about Discovery so far, its supposed to be before the Original Series but the tech and feel of the show seems the most modern timeline yet. I get that it has to feel futuristic to people in today's world and that is why, its just weird to think that was before the button and knobs of the original series.

I understand what you're getting at but I never really understood why this is such a big problem. Any piece of fiction is a child of its time, with all the limitations that come with it. If you look back at TNG things are looking really iffy as well. Does that mean that those pieces of media should be a 'definitive version' of the technology/fashion/whatever in that point in time in that fictional universe? No, I don't think so. I do think that it can be done in a tasteful matter; I was pretty happy with how they portrayed the Enterprise in Discovery S2.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
The word is CBS are unhappy with it.
It ties in to Discovery too.

The new head of Star Trek is not keen on the state of the universe
Sure, that's why Picard is already renewed for season 2. Please stop believing Midnight's Edge and similar online shit rags. If you don't like current Star Trek that's fine, you don't have to but there's really no sign that CBS is unhappy with Discovery, Picard or any aspect of the current statemkfnthe universe. They're quadrupling down in it with three new shows in development (the two cartoons and section 31), it looks like Discovery might already be renewed for season 4 ... they are not unhappy with it, just accept that.

Because it's a dumb show that treats its viewers like idiots, has terrible writing and absolutely no respect for continuity or the shows that came before it.
Sounds like criticism of TNG during its early seasons.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I never bought into the supposed ideals of the future society that ended poverty, classism, money, etc. It's clearly shown in the shows that everyone who gets into Starfleet Academy is the 1% versus everyone else. You were either a Starfleet Officer or a complete nobody in that future society, clear classism. Also, the shows had tons of conflict via the human condition showing jealously, greed, prejudice, anger, etc. Somehow they supposedly have an idealllic society, yet we still see individuals who accumulated vast wealth and power versus others who have nothing, does it really matter if currency was supposedly abolished if you still have the super rich in the future while others are barely getting by doing work on a freighter? Sure seems like poverty still exists in their future as well as classism and many other societal problems. Maybe they fixed starvation with free replicator food for all but they still have restaurants on Earth apparently..

SleeperBWG

Dec 18, 2018
I understand what you're getting at but I never really understood why this is such a big problem. Any piece of fiction is a child of its time, with all the limitations that come with it. If you look back at TNG things are looking really iffy as well. Does that mean that those pieces of media should be a 'definitive version' of the technology/fashion/whatever in that point in time in that fictional universe? No, I don't think so. I do think that it can be done in a tasteful matter; I was pretty happy with how they portrayed the Enterprise in Discovery S2.
I'm not saying its a huge deal (to me at least) I take that into account so I understand why they do it. But it is jarring when you have watched them all and know the timelines and lore around everything and it just pulls me out of it a little to think about why the ship is more futuristic that anything we have seen around that timeline or why the klingons look different in almost every generation of the show (love how they joked about that in DS9) and other smaller things.

I dont think it takes away from the show in general because I understand why they do it, it just takes me out of the story from time to time. But truely I am just happy to have new Star Trek to watch.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fucking hell, he looks like such a baller

patrick-stewart-variety-cover-700px.jpg

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Picard renewer for season 2 per leaked documents and discovery season 4 confirmed before season 3 even airs. Lol these YouTube losers need to stop.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Action trek is the worst trek, so we shall see how it goes. Stewart's past opinions on who Picard should be have all been shit, so I am not confident. I will give the show a chance though because I am not as zealous in my views as what is Star Trek as others are.

I never bought into the supposed ideals of the future society that ended poverty, classism, money, etc. It's clearly shown in the shows that everyone who gets into Starfleet Academy is the 1% versus everyone else. You were either a Starfleet Officer or a complete nobody in that future society, clear classism. Also, the shows had tons of conflict via the human condition showing jealously, greed, prejudice, anger, etc. Somehow they supposedly have an idealllic society, yet we still see individuals who accumulated vast wealth and power versus others who have nothing, does it really matter if currency was supposedly abolished if you still have the super rich in the future while others are barely getting by doing work on a freighter? Sure seems like poverty still exists in their future as well as classism and many other societal problems. Maybe they fixed starvation with free replicator food for all but they still have restaurants on Earth apparently..

Supposedly people are doing what they want to do. Old man Sisko had a restaurant because he enjoyed it. Joe Schmo works on a freighter because that is what he wants to do. In a universe with anti-grav lifts and teleporters, I don't think that would be a bad "job," if you can't hack Starfleet but still want to see the galaxy. Though not all humans are in the Federation, so outside of the Federation seemingly humans can get nasty, which puts a big hole in the "humans have evolved" thing. Personally, I have never been a fan of the whole "humans have evolved" though and was happy they backed away from it after Roddenberry passed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been dreading this show since the trailer hit. Deep down I want to believe but all signs point to hot garbage.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Action trek is the worst trek, so we shall see how it goes. Stewart's past opinions on who Picard should be have all been shit, so I am not confident. I will give the show a chance though because I am not as zealous in my views as what is Star Trek as others are.

Supposedly people are doing what they want to do. Old man Sisko had a restaurant because he enjoyed it. Joe Schmo works on a freighter because that is what he wants to do. In a universe with anti-grav lifts and teleporters, I don't think that would be a bad "job," if you can't hack Starfleet but still want to see the galaxy. Though not all humans are in the Federation, so outside of the Federation seemingly humans can get nasty, which puts a big hole in the "humans have evolved" thing. Personally, I have never been a fan of the whole "humans have evolved" though and was happy they backed away from it after Roddenberry passed.
I'm glad they moved away from the humans "evolved" too, as the storylines clearly showed human nature was still the same in the far future even if they supposedly solved societal problems on Earth. People were just as "bad" and have the same potential for good, and the shows would be boring if everyone acted like saints. I still don't really believe people just do what they want in the Federation future, there are clearly haves vs have nots. I get wanting to own a restaurant for real food instead of replicator food, but who would enjoy working as a waiter or 2ndary chef if they didn't have to? It's one thing to own the restaurant and/or work as the executive chef vs slaving away at a low level position. Something similar could be said to lower level positions in Starfleet / on starships. Who wants to be the low level maintenance worker working on starship sanitation and other menial tasks who usually are the first to die whenever a fight breaks out, man engineering departments seem to have high casualties for a non-combat unit as engines and other mechanically important parts of a ship are targeted first.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I'm happy with the current state of Trek and I don't regard Discovery as "Action Trek" at all.

Apart from TOS I can't think of many better starts to a Star Trek series than the first two seasons of Discovery.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm optimistic about Picard. I know for sure it can't be as bad as TNG's season 1 with stuff like Code of Honor.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
The word is CBS are unhappy with it.
It ties in to Discovery too.

The new head of Star Trek is not keen on the state of the universe

Not true at all. There has been an organized hit campaign on all things Star Trek since Discovery season one started. None of the "rumors" coming out of some of these "YouTube channels" have panned out at all and now they have their own websites peddling this nonsense. They have a huge rage boner against Alex Kurtzman and have been trying to crap all over all things Star Trek since then because none of them apparently have anything better to do. Lots of people apparently keep reading and watching their content and believing their lies.

Picard received an early season 2 order and it's also rumored that Star Trek: Discovery has received an early renewal for a season 4 already. If these shows were a huge dumpster fire for CBS they wouldn't keep greenlighting more seasons, more Short Treks and more shows.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I empathize with Stewart's excitement over returning to TNG characters with a completely different context.

I can't help but think that it's not actually what we need right now. We need Roddenberry's Trek badly. We need to imagine a better future, not a grim isolationist one.

Star Trek stood out because it actually leaned into utopian ideas. That's far more daring today in the age of grimdark grounded sci-fi than it was decades back. And if we need any art to speak to us politically when our present is so grim, it's Trek. The original vision of Trek.

And even from a pure writing perspective, it's just far less interesting to make the federation a militaristic mess. That's the easy way to make conflict. The spark of creativity in Trek was, "what if humans solved all their problems? What happens next?"

Trek is going back to its roots in TOS. What you want is in the Orville.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, that's why Picard is already renewed for season 2. Please stop believing Midnight's Edge and similar online shit rags.

That is true. I follow Star Trek news and rumors and 90% of the time these channels are dead wrong with their rumors and predictions.

Maybe Star trek fans are as bad as star wars fans after all.

Let's not do this. People should be allowed to be skeptical about a new show and they should be allowed to not like Discovery. Wanting only one opinion to be presented, the positive one, defeats the whole purpose of a discussion forum.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is really eroding my interest in this show. Discovery sucked and now it seems like this is gonna suck too. Between CBS' TV shows and Paramounts dreadful films the future of the series is on shaky ground. Maybe Noah Hawley can make something worthwhile with his movie.

Why can't we get something post Voyager/DS9, with an optimistic view of humanities future, where an ensamble crew explores the Galaxy in a starship. Tackle issues relevant to modern viewers. And disregard the terrible JJ movie entirely, Romulus should not be destroyed.

Why does everything have to be gritty, grounded, serialized and cynical.

SodapopVII

Oct 27, 2017
Equating Voyager to Discovery is very harsh of the former!

Also the important thing to remember for us Star Trek fans is that no matter how 'Picard' turns out (not totally confident myself - with the showrunners and Stewarts history of input in the past) that this will always still be there!

star-trek-the-next-generation-essential-episodes.jpg

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I had a look for criticisms of Picard / Discovery and pretty much every complaint was 2 steps away from the Tardigrades guy so I'm going to take those with a pinch of salt for now.