• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Someone's getting a clout in the ear.

But seriously, why would a showrunner hop on to this when that series isn't finished? Like, we know the end point and the major plot points of the end. But, there are decades of time before the Tragedy at Summerhall.

I was super hot on Game of Thrones but I don't think I care anymore.

I care about the books, too bad GRRM doesn't care.

Like, his dumbass wants to write more Dunk & Egg but he hasn't even finished TWOW and A Dream of Spring is exactly that, a dream. We're probably never going to get another Dunk and Egg tale.

Mar 31, 2018
There were supposed to be 12 novellas, right? And he's finished 3?

THIS'LL GO GREAT
Well, the amount of books will be a maximum of 12. But it is not fixed, however - it could also be only six books according to George R. R. Martin himself. Then again, we all know he's not a good judge of that. A Song of Ice or Fire was originally supposed to be completed in three books, but now there is doubt that it could even be completed in seven books.

The first three books of the Dunk & Egg series take place over a three-year period. Still 50 years to go if George wants to depict Aegon V's full life.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If there ever actually did do Robert's Rebellion all I ask is that they ditch the show interpretation of Aerys and go with the old man Howard Hughes version we shoulda had

300px-The_mad_king_twoiaf_art.png

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
As much as I hate milking franchises, I would love seeing the Dunk & Egg adaptation!

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The 3rd GoT adaptation based on an unfinished series? This is series is 33% finished. House of the Dragon is 50%. GoT was 71%.
6uE2.gif

To be fair he didn´t just say 9. He also said 6 and 12. Fucking kill me...

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dunk and Egg isn't finished right?

They really wanna fuck themselves over again?

Nothing will be finished ever. GRRM said he has like 10-12 stories to write to finish D&E story, so he probably thought "well alright, go ahead and do it yourselves".

I'm sure. How on earth is this supposed to be the follow-up? It's like a goofy adventure series, right? I haven't read it, but that's my understanding. That's nothing like Game of Thrones.

It's not goofy no. It is not rapey and gory, but Egg will age into becoming an adult and king and all. It will obviously quickly veer into what we knew from GoT tone-wise.

Oct 27, 2017
The Dunk and Egg stories are fantastic. I don't know that they make a whole series out of them really though. Maybe a couple mini series. Plus you have the same problem that GRRM hasn't "finished" them, even though each story is sufficiently self contained.

samyy

Oct 25, 2017
Martin should really just hand over the writing responsibilities to another author he trusts at this point, that way we can get the books and he can go enjoy his life.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
All 3 got a comic btw. They are good.

The Hedge Knight: The Graphic Novel (A Game of Thrones): Martin, George R. R., Avery, Ben, Miller, Mike S.: 8601200604122: Amazon.com: Books

The Hedge Knight: The Graphic Novel (A Game of Thrones) [Martin, George R. R., Avery, Ben, Miller, Mike S.] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. The Hedge Knight: The Graphic Novel (A Game of Thrones)

The Sworn Sword: The Graphic Novel (A Game of Thrones): Martin, George R. R., Avery, Ben, Miller, Mike S.: 9781477849293: Amazon.com: Books

The Sworn Sword: The Graphic Novel (A Game of Thrones) [Martin, George R. R., Avery, Ben, Miller, Mike S.] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. The Sworn Sword: The Graphic Novel (A Game of Thrones)

The Mystery Knight: A Graphic Novel: Avery, Ben, Martin, George R. R., Miller, Mike S.: 9780345549396: Amazon.com: Books

The Mystery Knight: A Graphic Novel [Avery, Ben, Martin, George R. R., Miller, Mike S.] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. The Mystery Knight: A Graphic Novel
It's possible to make 3 TV Movies that go nowhere but that´s about it.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
It's somewhat ironic that I, abandoned GoT at season 5 because it was shit, am excited by any new shows in the universe and people that finished the series are completely uninterested.

Love the books btw, I would think they could do a single season or 2 seasons top.

If they try to do 1 season per book it may be a little much for the pacing

Jan 29, 2018
Could be good. I'll try it.

But man, it's fascinating to think that Game of Thrones might have completely killed the idea of fandom for me. And that's probably good! I used to be all up in the off season speculation threads and get excited about various fan theories and I would devour any tidbit of news that came out. Now I just kinda enjoy things as they come and move on with my day. Maybe it's just a consequence of getting older because it's happened for other properties I consider myself a 'fan' of too.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if George gave his approval on this and whether he will write about it on his blog soon like he usually does regarding rumours and things reported by trades. It feels like another crazy AT&T move. I remember when talking about potential spinoffs, he always shot down Dunk and Egg because it wasn't finished and he was against Robert's Rebellion because it didn't interest him. I can see his reasoning but before S8 came along I always secretly felt these ideas were a safer bet at generating interest as spinoffs than something as disconnected as Long Night was going to be before cancellation.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Would be like super cool if one of these series HBO was working on could be animated

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious if George gave his approval on this and whether he will write about it on his blog soon like he usually does regarding rumours and things reported by trades. It feels like another crazy AT&T move. I remember when talking about potential spinoffs, he always shot down Dunk and Egg because it wasn't finished and he was against Robert's Rebellion because it didn't interest him. I can see his reasoning but before S8 came along I always secretly felt these ideas were a safer bet at generating interest as spinoffs than something as disconnected as Long Night was going to be before cancellation.
Maybe he woke up to the fact he's never even come close to finishing dunk and egg, and the best way to "tell" that story is for him to provide outlines for 5-6 stories to a talented tv writing crew and let them run with it. frankly this shouldn't be a series, it should be a collection of 3 episode mini series (1 mini series per novella). It's "rome" meets GOT. Way better news than Robert's rebellion.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the Dunk and Egg stories a lot. I'd be way more interested in watching it than these other spinoffs they are doing.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
Dunk & Egg is solid gold, but there's not very much of it. Just three short stories. The third one is the biggest, that could be a whole season for sure. But the others, I don't know. They'll be out of content after three seasons for sure.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I know people were asking why? This is probably why

Yeah - HBO knows exactly how many people are watching and how many people are buying Game of Thrones merch. If they are expanding the number of shows it is because there is still a market there. Era is a bubble when it comes to shitting on this show in my opinion (as with many other things).

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Maybe he woke up to the fact he's never even come close to finishing dunk and egg, and the best way to "tell" that story is for him to provide outlines for 5-6 stories to a talented tv writing crew and let them run with it. frankly this shouldn't be a series, it should be a collection of 3 episode mini series (1 mini series per novella). It's "rome" meets GOT. Way better news than Robert's rebellion.

interestingly, Bruno Heller, the show runner for Rome, is reportedly being considered by HBO to helm one of these spin-offs.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I might check it out when the time comes, but right this minute I could not be less interested or excited. Season 8 really did a number on me, I didn't even despise it THAT much, but it really completely destroyed my interest in the franchise.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Unless they got some good writers on it, they should just adapt the short stories as a limited series just to keep the franchise in people's minds between other series.

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm all in on HBO moving forward on more GoT stuff.

I was an avid watcher since the show debuted, was equally disappointed in the last few seasons, but I just recently finished my first re-watch of the entire series in a few weeks and god damn its still so good...

More GoT into my veins HBO, especially if they learned their lessons with rushing things

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I'm not subbing for any GoT show again. I'll happily start an hbo sub for something else though, and I'll just watch this if I have time to spare.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Dunk & Egg is fantastic, but yeah there's not a ton of material currently. And after GoT, I'd be a bit nervous of them working past what GRRM has written.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
The first 4 seasons of Game of Thrones were lightning in a bottle, a one time thing. Even if they hadnt screwed up the last seasons, I highly doubt they would be able to capture that spirit again.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
HBO weren't fucked in the slightest by how GoT ended. It still made them a mint.

fair point but I would think, in the context of the new streaming reality, that platform holders would want "evergreen" content that people will go back to again and again or discover for the first time, which becomes a harder sell with the persistent stigma of a "terrible ending".

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
GRRM specifically said he didn't want Dunk and Egg being adapted yet because they weren't finished. Ryan Condall (House of the Dragon showrunner) pitched Dunk and Egg and it didn't go forward for that very reason. But they liked him enough to go back to him to head HoTD.

Something must have happened since then that made HBO or GRRM change their mind.