• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The reopening of movie theaters may hit another speed bump.

Disney will likely delay "Black Widow," the superhero adventure from Marvel that was slated to open on Nov. 6, and the studio is exploring releasing Pixar's existential animated adventure "Soul" on Disney Plus, according to multiple individuals with knowledge of the situation.

A spokesperson for Disney declined to comment.

variety.com

‘Black Widow’ Eyes New Release Date, ‘Soul’ May Move to Disney Plus

Disney will likely delay "Black Widow," and the studio is exploring releasing Pixar's "Soul" on Disney Plus.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Tenet bombing scared the shit out of everybody, and rightfully so.

You can't just will people to go back to theaters.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I'd pay for Soul on Disney+ that actually looks like it's going to be great, as for the Black Widow potential new date, I don't blame them. Black Widow might not be fully interesting to everyone but it's a MCU movie which means big money for Disney when theaters are back to normal (whenever that is). We all know they don't wanna risk losing money by putting it on Disney+ despite knowing that we all would pay for the damn Black Widow movie but if they have no plans to push it to D+ stop giving it a new date and indefinitely delay it so when the time is right and things are safer, they can give the movie a date that isn't too far off.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
At some point, all these movie studios are going to need to coordinate their releases and dates. Yeah. they are all competitors... but if they all can't get a spot and an opportunity to get cash, they will all suffer.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'd probably pay to see Black Widow or Soul. Definitely not at a movie theater, though.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
There have been rumors of Soul going to D+ kicking around for a while now. It is a huge shame though that the first Pixar film with a prominent black lead will not hit theaters though.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Does that mean release it on D+ for everyone or like they did with Mulan?
youll have to pay, these cg movies aint cheap. at least you know youre getting a good film here and not whatever the hell mulan was

i wonder how well mulan did with all its issues and being just terrible. i think it did pretty good, but disney doesnt want to attract anymore attention to it

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
There is far too much money at stake for a movie like Black Widow to pop up on streaming, it is not going to happen.
Yeah, it's a reality we all need to come to terms with. I know it makes sense to all of us because we all know a large amount of people would pay for it, but a lot more people would pay for the theater experience when the time is right and that amount of money is far bigger than the profit they'd make by putting it on Disney+. If Black Widow was just any other comic movie and not a movie that was under the MCU branch, things would be different probably.

Oct 28, 2017
Black Widow in D+ (even for the 30 dollar fee) would really do me some good right now. I could use a Marvel movie to distract me from anxiety for a couple hours, and am certainly not going out to the theater.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Soul is the first Pixar film to really grab me in a few years so it not getting a big screen release would be a huge downer. If Disney needs to clean up their schedule, release the new West Side Story digitally.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I just paid $26 to watch a Kemp Powers' live-action adaptation of his play over the weekend.
You damn well better believe I'll pay good money to watch an animated vehicle collaboration with the director of Inside Out.

That said, being that Canadian theatres aren't a death sentence, I'd still prefer to see Soul on the big screen.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
There have been rumors of Soul going to D+ kicking around for a while now. It is a huge shame though that the first Pixar film with a prominent black lead will not hit theaters though.

Yeah its disappointing that it would be relegated to streaming. Should just sit on it til next year

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I expect Black Widow to try for theaters next year depending on the situation. Doubt it itll go in disney + when they have the Marvel Disney + shows for that.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Has MCU resumed productions? I think they're going to keep delaying Black Widow until they have a steady stream of movies to continue the MCU release window.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Disney saving Widow again feels very off. especially as their 2021 slate gets more fucked. But they know Marvel Studios thirst is real. Plus, the FOX chained deal that their movies go out first to theaters.

Soul has to be a bummer for Pixar though, that's both Pixar films this year going to D+ instead of theatres.

Has MCU resumed productions? I think they're going to keep delaying Black Widow until they have a steady stream of movies to continue the MCU release window.

FalconWinterSoldier started filming again since last week, Hawkguy/Ms. Marvel will start later this year, dunno about Loki yet and Wandavision might do reshoots.

Contraband

Nov 15, 2017
Hannah, Montana
Yep. I'm not stepping foot inside a theater for a good long while. Not until a proven safe vaccine is in my veins.

Hopefully WB wises up and just puts Tenet VOD so I can actually watch it.

Literally tracked down a drive in playing the film because I wasn't stepping foot in a theatre. Absolutely worth it.

Dying for it on VOD though since I've got a wild home system.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
I would no joke slap down $30+ to watch Black widow from the comfort and safety of my home. Not to mention its a Marvel movie and almost everyone and their moms has D+.
Honestly, instead of just D+ they should make a huge PR push about it going digital release on everything like a huge summer blockbuster in theaters but on digital marketplaces. Have commercials, YT ads, posters and billboards of it everywhere. Watch the cash come in.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Disney's gotta use that "premium" for something other than Mulan. Wouldn't be surprised if Soul moves to D+.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I'm not sure but I think I saw awhile back that they were planning on resuming soon. Even then, we saw what happened with "The Batman", they resumed production and like a week later (if that), they had to shut down again cause someone (Robert Pattison supposedly was confirmed to be the person) tested positive for COVID. We're gonna see this happen time and time again with a ton of shows so who knows if the productions last long enough to get a lot of work in.

(edit)

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I cant believe the shareholders of these movie studios are ok with them continually pretending they are going to release movies theatrically on some bullshit day they pull out of their ass like they can predict when the pandemic will be over

These studios need to either admit they are delaying shit indefinitely or fucking release it on demand already

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, production has resumed on Falcon and the Winter Soldier, WandaVision, and Shang-Chi. And I think filming on Thor is expected to kick off soon.

I cant believe the shareholders of these movie studios are ok with them continually pretending they are going to release movies theatrically on some bullshit day they pull out of their ass like they can predict when the pandemic will be over

These studios need to either admit they are delaying shit indefinitely or fucking release it on demand already
I mean all the release date delays are predicated on the idea of "hopefully this new date works!" Is announcing a new Black Widow delay every six months all that functionally different from announcing an indefinite delay? The French Dispatch was indefinitely delayed, I don't see anyone thanking Disney profusely over it lol.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Going from AMC A-List $22/month to paying $30/film on Disney + isn't getting me excited.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

Yeah, I agree. I think it's time for studios to stop giving meaningless dates, Wonder Woman '84 included, for the rest of 2020. We all know that no matter what, shit will likely get worse again before it gets better and there's not nearly enough people going to the theater for them to have any incentive of releasing movies theatrically (see: Tenet bombing). At this point, the movie industry should just get over the fact that either they're gonna give a ton of dates and continuously get pushed back or they can just say "Hey, we know it isn't the right time for movies right now so we're gonna indefinitely our movies until we can see a firm date." There's no harm or disappointment in that and I'm pretty sure a ton of people will be understanding of this decision plus it would give them time to actually debate on putting their respective movies on streaming platforms.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't ultimately pay for Mulan (a friend did, and I just caught it with them), but best believe I'd be there second one for Black Widow.

That could be such a cool moment for us all to share. Drop that shit at 6 PM on a Friday and watch social media go off.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

Latter is because they want to recoup as quickly as they can, issue is if the vaccines are aimed for mid 2021, studios will get impatient because they want to plan for 2021-22 and beyond, you might see a offload of lower budget movies but the moment things go positive, there's gonna be fuckload of summer movies and it's gonna be hell so they are trying to not eat each other alive...the problem they are gonna eat each other alive regardless.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably pay the $30 access fee for Black Widow to be honest. Probably not for Soul but I'd be really interested when it goes fully on D+.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I mean all the release date delays are predicated on the idea of "hopefully this new date works!" Is announcing a new Black Widow delay every six months all that functionally different from announcing an indefinite delay? The French Dispatch was indefinitely delayed, I don't see anyone thanking Disney profusely over it lol.
6 month delays would be fine
I'm more thinking of WB
They have been by far the shittiest about this whole thing

Also, I have no idea what The French Dispatch is
Edit: now I do, it looks really good

Nov 27, 2017
California
I'd pay $50 today

Disney had like 3 months to push up black widow after rise of skywalker came and went quickly
Like the end of December to early March

they fucked up cause ain't no one going into the theaters

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I'd pay the Mulan price for Black Widow, but they know we want to watch it in the theater and they'll probably hold out for that. They can afford to wait on it I think, because that means less future MCU movies having to go to Disney+ if they eventually crack and put BW on the service next spring.

What they're trying to do is not get to the point where they have to consider putting Eternals on Disney+. That movie needs a big theater premiere.

May 10, 2018
Mulan experiment and Tenet coming out failed unsurprisingly.

I did go see Tenet and AMC is operating at 40% capacity so it's mostly empty and plus no morning showtimes either.

Like someone mentioned it does suck that first Mulan and now potentially Soul are the ones getting the Disney+ treatment.