• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Quiet cancellations are just the worst.

WiLD
Beyond Good and Evil 2
System Shock 3 (team disbanded, not formally announced as "cancelled")
Shin Megami Tensei 5 (where is it, Atlus?)
Porject Giant Robot (Miyamoto's Wii U game)
Prey 2
Final Fantasy Versus XIII (completely changed into FFXV)
Final Fantasy Type 1 (Type 0 sequel)
Steambot Chronicles 2 (shown off by Kazuma Kujo then it just disappeared)
Deep Down (Capcom even now say it's something they may go back to one day)
Shenmue Online (Was shown a few times then quietly cancelled)
Phantom Dust Remake (CG trailer, leaked footage)
Uppers (localization/Western release of the game that is)
Flower, Sun & Rain Remake (Announced two years ago and then nothing...Where is it, Suda?!)
Kurayami (Suda51 + Mikami horror game inspired by the novels of Franz Kafka, game was completely changed to Shadows of the Damned)
Grandia Online
Ushiro (Level 5's horror game)
Agent
Timesplitters 4
Fable 4
7th Guest 3
Resident Evil PSP
BioShock Vita
I'd add the Akiba's Trip PS4/PC remaster to that list. Uppers is what I was going to post, both of them are from Marvelous and I'm pretty sure Sony's policies are at least part of the reason we never heard from those games again. Both of them have questionable fanservice mechanics that are part of the gameplay and Sony probably wouldn't approve of them these days.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Sadness (Wii)
lBOKyv1.png

The Grinder (Wii)
BS0Osv4.png

I'm not sure I consider things from over a decade ago to be recent, but The Grinder never making it out always bummed me out. There's just not enough horror action titles in the world.

Also, from what I've heard, Sadness was never really a game, and the most that ever came of it were the trailers, a single 3D model of a mine cart, and some surprisingly good tracks.

EDIT: Also, anyone remember Routine?

Last edited:

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
There's a story about that Phantom Dust Remake, how Microsoft messed with the studio (causing Darkside to close down), cancelled that version, and ultimately came out with the remastered Phantom Dust HD back in 2017 done by Code Mystics. I don't think it's vaporware because of that. Other than that, I'm not sure which games I was still waiting for since they were announced and haven't come out yet.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Nioh was announced for the PS3 in 2005. The assumption was that it would be a launch title:

It launched for the PS4 in 2017, twelve years later. For context, if it had been announced at the end of the NES era (before the SNES launch), it would have actually released for the PS2. :D

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Barkley Shut Up & Jam Gaiden 2. Kickstarted ages ago, few screenshots and then last year a person working on it said it was cancelled, but someone else on the game said it was still 'active'.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Why did I read the OT as "Vaporwave in recent times"? I was about to mention Broken Reality but...lol

GodzillaDB

Oct 25, 2017

I suppose I'll make a possible contribution with Allison Road. Best known for being one of the first projects that tried to capitalize on the cancellation of P.T. / Silent Hills. It had a notable Kickstarter campaign that was canned after a surprise announcement that Team17 would be supporting its development. However, they dropped the game around June 2016 with a cancellation announcement although the developers proclaimed it would continue production without Team17 about two months later. Eventually, all major outlets from their social media accounts to the main website would be deleted so it's safe to assume Allison Road has finally been put to bed despite no official final acknowledgement.

Visage has become something of a spiritual successor to both it and the late Konami revival so I'm grateful the premise is still being pursued.

Apparently, the game is supposed to appear at E3 2020 in some fashion alongside Deathloop.

Hold the phone: Bruce 'The Chin' Campbell has retired?!
He hasn't officially retired from acting if that's what you're inquiring. Back in April 2018, Mr. Campbell announced that he was stepping away from the character 'Ash Williams' following the cancellation of Ash vs. Evil Dead. He believes it's time for a younger actor to take on the role even though director Sam Raimi still wants to do another film installment with him.

Ushiro (Level 5's horror game)
It was revived back in October 2018 for the Switch. However, it was still suggested to be in very early stages of development on the platform and, funnily enough, no concrete updates have been provided since then.

Uppers is what I was going to post, both of them are from Marvelous and I'm pretty sure Sony's policies are at least part of the reason we never heard from those games again. Both of them have questionable fanservice mechanics that are part of the gameplay and Sony probably wouldn't approve of them these days.
It really wouldn't be surprising if the Western localization of Uppers was silently scrapped as a result of Sony's undisclosed policy toward sensual content. Last time I checked, Marvelous Games through their Twitter account claimed it was still in development as of March 2nd, 2020. However, I find it weird that nothing concrete has been revealed since Marvelous claims every detail except for the release date has been disclosed and it was already rated by the ESRB back in December 2018. I'm speculating that they might not want to acknowledge any troubles with development to avoid any backlash or policy discussion after the content changes with the last Senran Kagura installment on PS4.

EDIT: Also, anyone remember Routine?

I definitely still remember the game! In terms of visual presentation, I'm guessing Alien: Isolation sort of stole its thunders with the lowfi / retro-future art direction for a first-person horror title. Allegedly, someone claiming to have been an aspiring financier and close friend to one of the lead developers wanted to provide financial support for the studio, Lunar Software, back around late 2017 along with several other investors. The team was extremely stripped for cash and experienced tremendous hardship trying to finish the project; however, its lead developer suddenly cut off all personal contact about a year later and nobody knows whether it'll be resurrected as other known contacts have gone dark. The main websites for the studio and game continue to have their registrations renewed for what it's worth. Plus, an Easter egg for the game was found in The Occupation.

Last edited:

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Beyond Good and Evil 2
Prey 2
Final Fantasy Versus XIII (completely changed into FFXV)

I wouldn't count Versus as cancelled since they simply decided to change into a main entry.

I am sure Prey 2 was admitted as cancelled.

And Beyond Good and Evil 2 isn't cancelled. They had viddoc in oct 2019 and basically this year it seems during investors meeting (Feb 2020) they simply confirmed it will not be coming out before April 2021. But they didn't state it was cancelled.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Beyond Good & Evil 2 isn't part of Ubisoft's plans for next fiscal year

Fans of Beyond Good & Evil who delighted in the game's announcement trailer when it was shown at E3 2017 are unfortunat…

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I cannot see any Vaporware thread without remembering that Chris Kohler said Super Mario 3D World was vaporware in January 2013 and then it came out in November of that year.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
www.resetera.com

New "Evil Dead" Game In The Works

Source

An Evil Dead game was teased in 2018 and there hasn't been an update ever since :(. what are some game announcements from a few years ago until now that you think are vaporware?

Little Devil Inside

It was Kickstarted like 6 years ago

They drop a new development vid every 12 months, but I'll be extremely sad if it never sees the light of day

Probably one of the only KS games I ever cared about

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

I suppose I'll make a possible contribution with Allison Road. Best known for being one of the first projects that tried to capitalize on the cancellation of P.T. / Silent Hills. It had a notable Kickstarter campaign that was canned after a surprise announcement that Team17 would be supporting its development. However, they dropped the game around June 2016 with a cancellation announcement although the developers proclaimed it would continue production without Team17 about two months later. Eventually, all major outlets from their social media accounts to the main website would be deleted so it's safe to assume Allison Road has finally been put to bed despite no official final acknowledgement.

Visage has become something of a spiritual successor to both it and the late Konami revival so I'm grateful the premise is still being pursued.

Apparently, the game is supposed to appear at E3 2020 in some fashion alongside Deathloop.

He hasn't officially retired from acting if that's what you're inquiring. Back in April 2018, Mr. Campbell announced that he was stepping away from the character 'Ash Williams' following the cancellation of Ash vs. Evil Dead. He believes it's time for a younger actor to take on the role even though director Sam Raimi still wants to do another film installment with him.

It was revived back in October 2018 for the Switch. However, it was still suggested to be in very early stages of development on the platform and, funnily enough, no concrete updates have been provided since then.

It really wouldn't be surprising if the Western localization of Uppers was silently scrapped as a result of Sony's undisclosed policy toward sensual content. Last time I checked, Marvelous Games through their Twitter account claimed it was still in development as of March 2nd, 2020. However, I find it weird that nothing concrete has been revealed since Marvelous claims every detail except for the release date has been disclosed and it was already rated by the ESRB back in December 2018. I'm speculating that they might not want to acknowledge any troubles with development to avoid any backlash or policy discussion after the content changes with the last Senran Kagura installment on PS4.

I definitely still remember the game! In terms of visual presentation, I'm guessing Alien: Isolation sort of stole its thunders with the lowfi / retro-future art direction for a first-person horror title. Allegedly, someone claiming to have been an aspiring financier and close friend to one of the lead developers wanted to provide financial support for the studio, Lunar Software, back around late 2017 along with several other investors. The team was extremely stripped for cash and experienced tremendous hardship trying to finish the project; however, its lead developer suddenly cut off all personal contact about a year later and nobody knows whether it'll be resurrected as other known contacts have gone dark. The main websites for the studio and game continue to have their registrations renewed for what it's worth. Plus, an Easter egg for the game was found in The Occupation.

I have no faith in Level 5 at finishing Ushiro, at all. The game started dev on PSP.

I wouldn't count Versus as cancelled since they simply decided to change into a main entry.

I am sure Prey 2 was admitted as cancelled.

And Beyond Good and Evil 2 isn't cancelled. They had viddoc in oct 2019 and basically this year it seems during investors meeting (Feb 2020) they simply confirmed it will not be coming out before April 2021. But they didn't state it was cancelled.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Beyond Good & Evil 2 isn't part of Ubisoft's plans for next fiscal year

Fans of Beyond Good & Evil who delighted in the game's announcement trailer when it was shown at E3 2017 are unfortunat…

Versus XIII had completely different dev team entirely, characters, plot, gameplay and cutscenes. It's a different game.
Pretty sure Prey 2 wasn't admitted as cancelled by Bethesda, only that it was "repurposed" by the devs of Dishonored (it was canned and made by a different team entirely and looked like a different game entirely, just like the game above)
Didn't know that about Beyond Good & Evil 2 but I wasn't the only one who thought it's become vaporware considering Ancel's other recent announcements (WiLD).

EDIT: Just thought of another - Red Ash (Mega Man Legends from Inafune).

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
Dead island the same thing. Why make Dead island when theres dying light 2 on the way

Uh, Techland owns the rights to Dying Light, while Deep Silver/Koch Media own Dead Island IP. It's sort of a Far Cry/Crysis situation; Deep Silver wants to continue the IP (And has albeit... not terribly successfully).

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Uh, Techland owns the rights to Dying Light, while Deep Silver/Koch Media own Dead Island IP. It's sort of a Far Cry/Crysis situation; Deep Silver wants to continue the IP (And has albeit... not terribly successfully).

The funniest and most ironic thing about this is Dying Light was originally supposed to be Dead Island 2. Deep Silver didn't liked Techland's pitch and decided to find another partner. Whoever at Deep Silver came up with this decision made such a mistake.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it came out and I didn't notice but wasn't there a new Commander Keen game announced, maybe for mobile, an E3 or two ago?

I also want to see some Kaoi gameplay someday, even if it never comes out.

Kaio was officially canceled quite a while ago, Inafune said the publisher decided they weren't willing to go forward with the big cross-media rollout in the end, and so the game died with it. Who knows if it was even any good or not, Comcept had a very shaky track record.

Steambot Chronicles 2 (shown off by Kazuma Kujo then it just disappeared)

This was officially canceled in 2011. right after Irem originally canceled Disaster Report 4. Kujo vaguely referenced it since in a way that makes it seem like it can't ever happen due to something that went down at Irem, but we may never find out the truth.

SugarRiot

Jun 8, 2018
Adelaide, Australia
Fear effect: reinvented comes to mind, by memory it was announced in 2017 slated for a 2018 release and it never happened. I follow the dev on Twitter, they sometimes milk some concept art but that's it.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Virtual Novel, it was a VR project to create a fully interactive 3D visual novel set on a large island (but centered in a Japanese high school) that would also have extensive modding capabilities to allow you to make your own projects in the engine.

So what happened with it? Well, they had a Patreon going that was doing well, progress was coming along smoothly with tons of updates, builds to play etc. and then they decided to move onto making a standalone character creator called Fitting Room which essentially let you design your character and NPCs for the game which would get merged back into the game. And that was completed with builds available. The devs started getting quiet mid-2018 before making a couple of development related retweets in late 2018 and then that was it. No Patreon posts, no Tweets, no Facebook posts, the website is now dead. They had a Discord for Patreons but as I wasn't one I don't know if anyone in there had closer contact with the dev. Patreon did halt the project for a month automatically in 2019, but it has still been open since with a few people still paying each month.

1RnTMJy.jpg
sKcAw9z.jpg

BUHR3t2.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
About 2 years ago Nightdive trademarked a Exhumed/Powerslave, there's a bunch of rumours that they snapped up the rights and brought in the Dev of a modern port using a custom engine (Powerslave EX)

Then nothing :(

Don't think it was ever officially announced though

www.resetera.com

Nightdive Studios trademarks Powerslave/Exhumed

https://www.trademarkia.com/powerslave-87866944.html https://trademarks.justia.com/878/66/exhumed-87866948.html Right, so a bit of background, it is known that Nightdive was working on a remastered version of Powerslave/Exhumed called Powerslave EX which was a hybrid of the PC and recalling...

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Deep Down and Dead Island 2 are the current biggest mysteries.

And Beyond Good & Evil 2. It was announced in 2008, and the trailer in 2017 showed a totally unrelated game.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Versus XIII had completely different dev team entirely, characters, plot, gameplay and cutscenes. It's a different game.
finalfantasy.fandom.com

Final Fantasy Versus XIII

This is a fantasy based on reality.Tagline Final Fantasy Versus XIII was a game planned for the PlayStation 3 as part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis: Final Fantasy series. It was intended to be a companion game to Final Fantasy XIII alongside the mobile game Final Fantasy Agito XIII, the three...

That is a huge stretch. The firt thing they showed of versus was noctis fighting in insomnia with the armiger (the armory of the previous kings). The characters are mainly the same with the exception of Stella Nox Fleuret who was replaced by Lunafreya Nox Fleuret. And since much wasn't mentioned about her we do not know how much was changed. The story beats as described for the invasion is basically the same thing as kingsglaive with minor changes. And kingsglaive is the official lore for FFXV and the events are happening at the same time as the first moments of FFXV. FFXV is Versus XIII with a few changes. The gameplay also looks very similar. Any changes you can chalk up to design and the fact that XV was shifted to PS4 for development which allowed them to do more. Even then when you look at the older versus gameplay (video -> here) there is more things that are similar than are different.

The largest change you can point to is the removal of Etro and any ties to the Fabula Nova Crystallis theme (which by default would change plot and cutscenes) but looking at all the artwork and videos, I find it hard for anyone to pass it off as TOTALLY different.

Pretty sure Prey 2 wasn't admitted as cancelled by Bethesda, only that it was "repurposed" by the devs of Dishonored (it was canned and made by a different team entirely and looked like a different game entirely, just like the game above)

www.gamespot.com

Prey 2 Cancelled, Bethesda Confirms

"It was a game we believed in, but we never felt that it got to where it needed to be".

Publisher Bethesda has confirmed that the protracted and problematic Prey 2 project has now been cancelled.

A representative for Bethesda, Pete Hines, suggested to CNET that it was quality issues, and perhaps issues of direction, the sealed the game's fate.

"It was a game we believed in, but we never felt that it got to where it needed to be--we never saw a path to success if we finished it," he said.

"It wasn't up to our quality standard and we decided to cancel it. It's no longer in development. That wasn't an easy decision, but it's one that won't surprise many folks given that we hadn't been talking about it."

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like both of these games suffer from the exact same problem of 'why would we make these when we have similar games in a our publisher portfolio'

Like Capcom now has monster hunter, but if it even wanted to have a seperate monster RPG they could just make a dragons dogma 2.

Dead island the same thing. Why make Dead island when theres dying light 2 on the way

Agent will always be such a mystery to me. It will never release, espcially after LA NOIRE, but i'd love to know what that game was going to be

Deep Silver/THQ Nordic is publishing Dying Light 2?!

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Television for the Ouya:

The game would have involved channel hopping and interacting with different genres of show, including wildlife documentaries and car chases on the news

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Miegakure. An indie game announced... maybe a decade ago? the whole shtick was that the game takes place in the 4th dimension.

Last I heard was from this Vice article from about two years ago.

I know Cube World got a steam release, but it still feels like vapor ware lmao.

Probably best if it never comes out.
I remember previewing this in 2012.

Although the developer did get some allegations of creepy behaviour against him (read the whole thread)

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A new Nightmare Creatures was announced in 2017 with a tittle trailer but nothing else came about it as far as I know. 3 years in I think its safe to say its not going to happen.

The Fear Effect remake seems to have evaporated as well.

Last edited:

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
do we have any news at all from that blade-runner lookin style game from the gamergate(?) director or lead which was presented in MS E3 press conference?it has been what 3-4 years?

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Kayne West game about his mother.

Metroid prime 4.
Atari VCS?

Atari%20VCS.jpg

• Announced in June of 2017
  • Preorders were supposed to start December 14, 2017, but Atari delayed them
  • Preorders actually go live on May 30, 2018, Advertised to ship Q2 of 2019
  • In March 2019, Atari announces they're delaying the launch to the end of 2019
  • In July 2019, Atari announced they'd be providing more information about the product and game content. That never happened.
  • In October 2019, lead architect Rob Wyatt resigned from the project, citing non-payment as the key reason for departure
  • In December 2019, Atari states that they're in final stages of pre-production and will be shipping in March 2020
  • We're now in the middle of March 2020. Nothing has been released, and Atari has been more-or-less radio silent
They did release videos showing it off, though.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
SCALE

Last Kickstarter update and tweet was in 2018.

Last dev tweet was 2016.

You can still pre-order the game on the website.

Oh dude I completely forgot about it, I even backed this on Kickstarter. As far as I know Steve was getting married and was doing sporadical development live streams but haven't heard a lot since then.

Speaking of Kickstarter, I also remember Butt Sniffing Pugs. Also backed on Kickstarter and I got to try their demo with the giant balls at E3 2015. At least things are still happening there, they sent out a KS update on January, development should pick up again soon after a long hiatus.

Skull and bones from ubisoft.

Im still waiting for my beta invitation

Wow, this was announced in 2017 with a tentative release date of this or next year, yikes.

Triad Wars --- That multiplayer only Sleeping Dogs spinoff.

That game was technically officially canceled when the studio shutted down.