• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Why didn't Murdoch tell Trump to fuck off? I don't get the defensive posture. Trump needs Fox more than Fox needs him.

I'm not sure that's true, yet. Way back in the primaries, Fox briefly toyed with being anti-Trump, and Fox viewers overwhelmingly sided with Trump. He can still probably crater their viewership if a real feud develops.

After Trump loses, his influence will wither.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
There was a good BBC documentary about Murdoch a month or so back. Basically he hates Trump and tried everything he could to get any other Republican nominated back in 2016. After Trump won the GOP nomination he just became a useful idiot, but the Murdochs still hate him.
My question now though, is does Trump still need Murdoch? His base seems much more online based than one watching a news network that skews so old it runs ads for adult diapers.
Murdoch helped create a monster he has no control over, fucking perfect.
Yeah this news shouldn't be a surprise considering Fox tried to bring down Trump before the 2016 election.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Why didn't Murdoch tell Trump to fuck off? I don't get the defensive posture. Trump needs Fox more than Fox needs him.

Because their viewership would immediately fuck off with Trump. The current GOP isn't a collection of ideals that unites a group of like-minded people. The GOP is Donald Trump, full stop. Its the same reason why the senate Republicans don't push back against Trump openly. And its easy as fuck for them when you can pick whatever reality pleases you if the current one doesnt.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
tenor.gif
I can hear this gif

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I've said it before but at the end of last year their there rumours in the industry that Murdoch was telling people that he intended to sell the remainder of his Fox assets and 'double down' on Disney in the next couple of years. If he thinks that Trump will lose in November (fingers crossed) then perhaps he thinks that the Fox News bubble is about to burst and he wants out while the getting is good.

Mentioning that it's a little odd that we never see anyone mention the Murdochs and the power they wield behind the scenes at Disney in articles like these. If Murdoch is such a master 'wheeler dealer' in political circles (and he very much is) how is he using his influence at Disney?

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

This.

In a way, Hannity has a point but Wallace has more than proven himself for years since making it on Fox. Maybe in the early days, Wallace had to prove himself.

Of course, Hannity has Rush Limbaugh to thank and without him where would Hannity be and would Hannity be as successful without his late partner Alan Colmes. How quickly we forget?

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I've said it before but at the end of last year their there rumours in the industry that Murdoch was telling people that he intended to sell the remainder of his Fox assets and 'double down' on Disney in the next couple of years. If he thinks that Trump will lose in November (fingers crossed) then perhaps he thinks that the Fox News bubble is about to burst and he wants out while the getting is good.

Mentioning that it's a little odd that we never see anyone mention the Murdochs and the power they wield behind the scenes at Disney in articles like these. If Murdoch is such a master 'wheeler dealer' in political circles (and he very much is) how is he using his influence at Disney?

Uh I read Bob Iger's autobiography last week and the Fox assets that were not bought by Disney were explicitly mentioned as not being on brand for them.
I don't think Murdoch has any more influence on Disney than George Lucas does.

Alan ruled out several Fox assets right away. Rules dictate that you can't own two over-the-air broadcast networks in the United States (it's a little dated and silly in today's world, but it's the rule), so the Fox television network was off the table. We compete with their two primary sports networks, so owning them would result in too much market share in the business, so we wouldn't be buying them.

Then there was Fox News. This was one of Rupert's prize possessions, so I never expected him to offer it up. Plus, I didn't see us buying it. If we ran it as it is, we would be the scourge of the left; and if we dared try to move it to the center, we would be the scourge of the right. It didn't matter what I thought about Fox News, though, since there was no way Rupert was ever going to put it on the table.

Iger, Robert. The Ride of a Lifetime (p. 200). Transworld. Kindle Edition.

Deleted member 75819

Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Mind boggling how people love this wannabe fascist
If you're genuinely curious about what constitutes their support:

My father in law is a late-50s life long healthcare practitioner and administrator. When he speaks of Trump, he generally speaks neutrally save for a few instances. He has praised Trump's brokering of the peace deal in the middle east as well as his handling of the production behind the vaccine. He has also praised Trump's supposed desire to end endless wars. But you should also know that he and Trump are ludicrously bigoted which I'm sure plays a part.

My father—a salesperson—always seems to defend him, claiming he improved the economy and created tons of new jobs and that's what matters. He's also bigoted. Both my fathers significantly downplay Trump's rhetoric and character as if it's irrelevant, and anything is generally regarded as fake news in so many words. They're both very critical of progressive social movements and economic ideas.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
You say that like the fascism isn't the main draw.

Sure as fuck don't want to hear anyone who supports him talk about tyranny after this.
But local politicians make them wear masks against their will/rights/constitution, tyranny!
If 2016 showed anything, his terrible debates won't matter, his base is already locked in anyway. to see him lose his shit live on tv over Chris fucking Wallace of all people, thatd be good.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
He's not losing murdoch. Fox has a small number of worried real journalists at the channel. They're silenced and undercut, their articles aren't run, their opinions aren't on tv, and the tv hosts reportedly run the whole show now. But every once in a while a fox reporter will actually report the news in a genuine way, as has happened this past week with Fox confirming the Atlantic reporting about Trump hating veterans.

And that absolutely makes Donald go apoplectic. Murdoch isn't new though. He knows they make a fortune with Donald.

I think there is legit fear that if Trump loses he goes nuclear on Fox, launches TrumpTV officially, brings on half of the OAN staff and half of the Fox staff, brings in Hannity, and splits the Fox viewership in half. They will make nice with Trump because of this. They'll kill for exclusive Trump interviews after the election, I'd bet they get better ratings after the election if he loses than their interviews now. He's so exposed there's nothing special about a trump interview today. But I'm 9 months Trump will be huge primetime ratings.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
I think there is legit fear that if Trump loses he goes nuclear on Fox, launches TrumpTV officially, brings on half of the OAN staff and half of the Fox staff, brings in Hannity, and splits the Fox viewership in half. They will make nice with Trump because of this. They'll kill for exclusive Trump interviews after the election, I'd bet they get better ratings after the election if he loses than their interviews now. He's so exposed there's nothing special about a trump interview today. But I'm 9 months Trump will be huge primetime ratings.
The instant Trump hints at launching Trump TV, I would expect every sordid piece of evidence and rumour Murdoch has will be run on Fox News 24/7. As for defecting anchors, imagine how much behind the scenes footage and dirt Murdoch can pull out if needs be. They'll make supporting Trump TV untenable for all but the most deluded. Murdoch has near unlimited access to leading western government and business leaders. If there is a pee tape he could probably get it and I imagine pissing on a prostitute would be amongst the least fucked up stuff Trump has got up to in the last few decades. Once Trump threatens the bottom line at Fox News I expect all out war. I do hope it splits the base, viewership drops and advertising revenues tank. Fuck them all.

Oct 26, 2017

My father in law is a late-50s life long healthcare practitioner and administrator. When he speaks of Trump, he generally speaks neutrally save for a few instances. He has praised Trump's brokering of the peace deal in the middle east as well as his handling of the production behind the vaccine. He has also praised Trump's supposed desire to end endless wars. But you should also know that he and Trump are ludicrously bigoted which I'm sure plays a part.

My father—a salesperson—always seems to defend him, claiming he improved the economy and created tons of new jobs and that's what matters. He's also bigoted. Both my fathers significantly downplay Trump's rhetoric and character as if it's irrelevant, and anything is generally regarded as fake news in so many words. They're both very critical of progressive social movements and economic ideas.
Unfortunate that our political system and media have helped normalize Trump. Do you know who they supported in the Republican Primaries in 2015/6?

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Conservatively, Trump watches over eight hours of Fox News a day.

Good lord lol... I mean, we all kinda assumed this was the case based on the timing of some of his tweets, but to hear him just be like, "Yeah, I watch a lot of TV. It's like half my day." Not to mention all his trips to Mar-a-Lago, golfing...

2ql-Ju.gif

Deleted member 75819

Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Unfortunate that our political system and media have helped normalize Trump. Do you know who they supported in the Republican Primaries in 2015/6?
No I don't. My father doesn't vote and my FIL hasn't ever discussed it. But you're right, it's very unfortunate. I think the conservative media kinda works both ways—simultaneously manufacturing consent and indoctrinating while also working off of existing beliefs and stoking them. I really think for many conservatism is a cult/sports team, with the finer details being internalized because they're associated with the normalization of bigotry and liberal/progressive hatred.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Friendly reminder that not giving a platform on social media to Nazis isn't a free speech issue, but a president telling news companies how they should cover him absolutely is.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Murdoch absolutely despises Trump. That's been well known even during the 2016 primaries. Murdoch will put up with him, though, as long as Trump being in the limelight is a moneymaker for him.

Though, a Trump TV happening in the event of a Biden win will depend on whether Trump doesn't end up in jail by a Biden-run DoJ and state authorities combined tackling him to put him there.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If Murdoch wants him to lose, he'll lose. Look at the UK. We had a perfectly viable candidate for PM eviscerated in the press, with Murdoch's rag taking the lead, because he ate a bacon sandwich "wrong".

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Though, a Trump TV happening in the event of a Biden win will depend on whether Trump doesn't end up in jail by a Biden-run DoJ and state authorities combined tackling him to put him there.

If Trump gets prosecuted, it won't happen in februari 2021. It'll come at the end of probably years of investigations and drawn-out lawsuits that get appealed over and over again. More than enough time to set up a TV channel. Heck, Trump might figure that keeping a high public profile through this means will be his best bet at beating the justice system, both by making the political costs of prosecution extremely high and heightening the odds of at least one juror being a avid Trump TV watcher.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Will just leave this here...

www.theguardian.com

A very Australian coup: Murdoch, Turnbull and the power of News Corp

In the first part of a series, Guardian Australia reveals the outsize influence of a media mogul two Australian prime ministers blame for their demise

www.theguardian.com

Inside the News Corp tribe: how powerful editors shape the news

In the second part of our series, we examine how the media empire wields great influence at state level, where advisers say premiers seek to appease tabloids

www.theguardian.com

Follow the money: how News Corp wields power to defend its interests

In the third part of our series, we examine how Rupert Murdoch’s primary interest in politicians is not always political but often commercial

And just if you thought that Rupert's impending mortality is going to change anything...

www.theguardian.com

The Lachlan ascendancy: is News Corp heading for a cultural change?

In the final part of this series, we examine the forces likely to shape Australia’s Murdoch news empire post-Rupert

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I'm sure he's quaking. The President of the United States ain't got nothing on that shriveled old monster.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019

People will find any excuse, and any possible joy in any possible small victory, what they care is just that word I highlighted.

They just want colored people to stay down where they are, and LGBT people inside their houses. And the SCOTUS judges. They would vote AN OTTER, if the otter would grant judges and bigotism.

If Murdoch wants him to lose, he'll lose. Look at the UK. We had a perfectly viable candidate for PM eviscerated in the press, with Murdoch's rag taking the lead, because he ate a bacon sandwich "wrong".
Also, in Italy SKY News has always been centrist. Murdoch hated Berlusconi.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Dont worry Trump, theres still time to replace Wallace with that fuckboy from the Epoch Times

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Literally two of the worst men in the world and a huge part of the far right resurgence is on them both.

Oct 28, 2017
Sources close to Murdoch said Murdoch has told people he thinks Trump will lose in November. Murdoch is thinking about how to steer his media empire into a post-Trump environment. "This is about business for Rupert," one source said.

Sounds like Murdoch to me. Never had any ideological allegiance, never will. He aligns with whomever fits his interests. It just so happens that his interests predominantly align with various brands of shock jock conservatism.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Biden delivering haymakers

Love to see Biden take advantage of Trump's dumb ramblings. It's what I've been saying for so long.
Sounds like Murdoch to me. Never had any ideological allegiance, never will. He aligns with whomever fits his interests. It just so happens that his interests predominantly align with various brands of shock jock conservatism.
Every greedy cretin who wants to make money is a conservative by nature. That's why so many grifters keep turning up on the conservative side.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
While Murdoch is right wing he has moved against the conservative party in Australia when it has suited him.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Seriously, this dumbass was reportedly liberal his entire life. All it took was one black man in office and he did a somersault triple gainer into the conservative rabbit hole. That is a massive brew/concoction of conservative bullshit to consume all day every day. You're quite right, no wonder.
He was reportedly liberal on a lot of issues because a lot of the rich and famous in New York were. If you ever hear him talk about the cultural touchstone issues like LGBT rights, abortion, gun control etc. his turn on them is extremely unconvincing, because he doesn't actually give a shit.

The only constants about Trump's political views are that he's bigoted as fuck (and this manifests itself in just about every way imaginable), and thinks the U.S. is getting screwed on trade. That's it. And even with trade he doesn't have enough command on the issue to actually know what he's talking about, the USMCA trade deal is barely different from NAFTA but he still touts it as a huge victory because he did it.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that this story is about a news organization influencing millions of people just show how far gone the news media really is. Nothing about journalist integrity, reporting unbiased facts, and creating curious debate even exists anymore.

how in the world can we fix this problem?