• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's wild to me how much younger Chalamet looks than Alec Newman did when they did the miniseries back in 2000.

GettyImages-1180173573-696x522.jpg

My god that boy's cheek bones and jawline can probably cut STEEL.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I know the subtext of the book is against it. Book 2 covers the consequences more.
But on a surface level, it's not very apparent

Even so there's also
Jessica's explicit explanation of the MO of the BG, which is to purposefully cultivate myths in the origins of a primitive planet's culture that the BG can later exploit by fulfilling the prophecies they themselves created. IMO Dune as a book is pretty explicit about the harmfulness of the white savior trope.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
DREAMER OF DUNE: The Biography of Frank Herbert by Brian Hebert ain´t kind to Frank. I´ll just let this page speak:
books.google.de

Dreamer of Dune

Everyone knows Frank Herbert's Dune.This amazing and complex epic, combining politics, religion, human evolution, and ecology, has captured the imagination of generations of readers. One of the most popular science fiction novels ever written, it has become a worldwide phenomenon, winning...

On to happier topics, let the legend ride again:
dune-navigator.jpg
DuneSadurkar.jpg

Kids in the 80s sure had it made...

A new Sienkiewicz cover (book 1 is getting a comic) and he also drew the 1984 film adaptation by Marvel:
ec75841ec72cf1938ce9a23783c4de22.jpg

How Dune is supposed to look according to Herbert:
ski-ffy.blogspot.com

THE ILLUSTRATED DUNE

Vintage science fiction art, pulps, paperbacks and more

The art in the 2015 reissue of Dune 1 is also... just look at this:
www.tor.com

Sam Weber's Stunning Artwork for the Illustrated Edition of Dune - Reactor

The Folio Society has been publishing premium illustrated editions of classic works since 1947, including many iconic science fiction and fantasy titles. They’ve just released a beautiful edition of Frank Herbert’s Dune with art by Sam Weber, and that’s a reason for both fans of Dune and fans of...

OMG that coloring book.

And that sucks if true about Frank and Bruce. (Although, I'm not sure how credible I find Brian, having read his Dune work...)

Even so there's also
Jessica's explicit explanation of the MO of the BG, which is to purposefully cultivate myths in the origins of a primitive planet's culture that the BG can later exploit by fulfilling the prophecies they themselves created. IMO Dune as a book is pretty explicit about the harmfulness of the white savior trope.

Yes! And, what's more,
Paul knows about it and goes along exploiting the Fremen anyway!

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Dune is trying to subvert those trope.

But it is kinda shitty if there's no one of Arab or middle eastern origin in the movie. Especially if they think Zendaya is good enough.

Truth be told though if it's true to the books I'm sure the subtle 60's sexism as well as the aggresive homophobia of later books will dominate conversation instead.
Are the people of Arrakis middle eastern?

The sexism of ninja women who have the best physical and mental conditioning in the universe?
The aggressive homophobia of an archaic man who is immediately put into his place?

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Costumes look a bit bland, but if it works for the film so be it.
looks a bit uninspired tbh
I agree, and I love the team making this and the source material.

I dunno, we'll see it in motion! I'm sure they just don't want to show too much too soon, and how much will be enhanced in the background with the computerz.

Still not really sold on Chalamet here
Probably where I'm tripping up as well.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

But it is kinda shitty if there's no one of Arab or middle eastern origin in the movie. Especially if they think Zendaya is good enough.

Truth be told though if it's true to the books I'm sure the subtle 60's sexism as well as the aggresive homophobia of later books will dominate conversation instead.

It all feels a bit like Lawrence of Arabia to be fair and lean's film is a high bar for any movie to meet, but is also pretty embedded in an orientalist attitude of its time and Omar Sharif the only non western cast. I would say that I always found the character of
Dr Yueh
to also reflect that attitude.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I got the impression from BR:2049 that Villeneuve is circumspect enough to handle themes/tropes sensibly

2049 studied the saviour trope in an interesting way and presented female characters in a more rounded way than it's predecessor.

We'll see how his Dune addresses issues of race, gender and the like I guess.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

its more than shitty, its fucking preposterous the absence.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
and the dream is dead. This dune looks so bleak and generic it hurts my eyes just looking at it.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I am so damn happy to be alive at a time where someone like Villeneuve is making films. Been following dude's work since Incendies and Blade Runner 2049 was a dream come true for me.

I've never read Dune, but I am so in

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the effect on the eyes is just temporary, or indicative of the look they're going for in the final film? The first image was okay, but they seem a bit too pale in this new image.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Gorgeous. That's Chani, that's Dune. My favorite image so far.
I wonder if the effect on the eyes is just temporary, or indicative of the look they're going for in the final film? The first image was okay, but they seem a bit too pale in this new image.
I always imagined the blue-in-blue eyes as much subtler than what's actually described in the books or what was rendered in Lynch's version; corneas tinged slightly blue, dark blue irises. This works for me. Characters might appear too inexpressive if their eyes are solid pits.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I might check this out because one of my favorite games of thrones youtube channels is really into it

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
They finally did it. Blue within blue! I am curious about how they will do Chani. She is an archetype in the book(s) and it works but changing all of that won´t harm the overall story either and we will have something between 4 to 5 hours to work with if both parts get made. So why not. Her casting is spot on too. Minus the age thing with her and Paul but oh well. Maybe in a few decades when Dune finally goes anime:
00c.png

And good luck with casting Dune 3... not that I have any hope that we can get that far. And Dune 4, well here is the best fanart ever of its protagonist:
952b7a6105fc3f1abbb1a31c17290e11.jpg

You are even stuck inside his head for like half the book... 11/10 baby! I top 10 of all-time book and I know my literature. So yeah. Dune 100% ain´t what you think it is if you only know of it through cultural osmosis. A give it 0/10 Star Wars. Ok more like 2/10. I love SW but it and Dune are at the opposite ends of the genre spectrum. The Ice and Fire comparison is much closer. Not perfect but good. And Dune scope is much larger too. You´ll be shocked how large it is!

Finally, the best Dune art there may ever be:
alex-jay-brady-alex-jay-brady-shai4b-4.jpg
alex-jay-brady-brady-aj-heighliner-exterior-2-s.jpg

alex-jay-brady-image-2019-08-30t22-43-59-886z.jpg
alex-jay-brady-cart9.jpg
alex-jay-brady-lklkk33333.jpg

www.artstation.com

Alex Jay Brady

Clients Concept Artist - The official Dune graphic novels Concept Artist -Regent Craft Concept Artist- OATS Concept Artist - Digimancy Concept Artist: Captain Marvel Senior Concept Artist: Creative Assembly Vehicle designer - the vehicles in Battlefield Hardline Concept artist - Fast and...
Dune´s budget is its imagination and Herbert marched to the beat of his own drum, to put it mildly. An author without fear:
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
- Note how bleak the last 3 sentences get. Paul was fucked from the start and the message of Dune 1-4 is already in the first book. Dune is to the Hero's Journey what Sec Ops: The Line was for shooters to put it into "gamer terms". Just darker and with much more mass death.

PS: We were robbed with Jodorowsky´s Dune but his The Incal and Metabarons comics more than made up for that. Read them TODAY if you are a fan of Dune. The one thing Dune and SW have in common is how influential they are. The Children of Dune live on to this day.

Last edited:

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm guessing as they are Vanity Fair's PR shots they may not be indicative of the final look.

... although the first one they shared had CG ships in the background

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
So I just noticed this on the Oscar Isaac photo, there is a guy fully armored with a helmet besides him which kinda looks like a ninja.

0520-Dune-Ebmed-0dfc.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, f it I'm finally buying the first book. I've been putting reading the series away for years but these images got me hyped.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
They finally did it. Blue within blue! I am curious about how they will do Chani. She is an archetype in the book(s) and it works but changing all of that won´t harm the overall story either and we will have something between 4 to 5 hours to work with if both parts get made. So why not. Her casting is spot on too. Minus the age thing with her and Paul but oh well. Maybe in a few decades when Dune finally goes anime:
00c.png

And good luck with casting Dune 3... not that I have any hope that we can get that far. And Dune 4, well here is the best fanart ever of its protagonist:

You are even stuck inside his head for like half the book... 11/10 baby! I top 10 of all-time book and I know my literature. So yeah. Dune 100% ain´t what you think it is if you only know of it through cultural osmosis. A give it 0/10 Star Wars. Ok more like 2/10. I love SW but it and Dune are at the opposite ends of the genre spectrum. The Ice and Fire comparison is much closer. Not perfect but good. And Dune scope is much larger too. You´ll be shocked how large it is!

alex-jay-brady-cart9.jpg

www.artstation.com

Alex Jay Brady

Clients Concept Artist - The official Dune graphic novels Concept Artist -Regent Craft Concept Artist- OATS Concept Artist - Digimancy Concept Artist: Captain Marvel Senior Concept Artist: Creative Assembly Vehicle designer - the vehicles in Battlefield Hardline Concept artist - Fast and...
Dune´s budget is its imagination and Herbert marched to the beat of his own drum, to put it mildly. An author without fear:
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
- Note how bleak the last 3 sentences get. Paul was fucked from the start and the message of Dune 1-4 is already in the first book. Dune is to the Hero's Journey what Sec Ops: The Line was for shooters to put it into "gamer terms". Just darker and with much more mass death.

PS: We were robbed with Jodorowsky´s Dune but his The Incal and Metabarons comics more than made up for that. Read them TODAY if you are a fan of Dune. The one thing Dune and SW have in common is how influential they are. The Children of Dune live on to this day.
This is what I live for.

Dune is legit the only story that rivals Book of the New Sun in terms of absolutely bonkers design and out-there character choices. It in so good.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
00c.png

alex-jay-brady-cart9.jpg

www.artstation.com

Alex Jay Brady

What a great post! I really need to get on with reading the books after 3.

I'm very hyped but I really don't expect anything visually forward-thinking coming from Arrival and BR2049. But I'm happy for what we get and excited for the project! :D

I remember listening to an interview with Frank Herbert where he talks for a long while about Dune. Such a treasure of sci-fi.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
00c.png

alex-jay-brady-cart9.jpg

www.artstation.com

Alex Jay Brady

After watching the Dune documentary I was convinced that it would have been terrible movie. I can admire Jodorowsky´s passion for the project but everything about it sounded bad to me. But the concept art by Moebius was fantastic. Well generally he is great, like his work in The Incal. Also those JP covers are freaking cool.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
A lot has been said about Dune 1984. I give it a 7/10 first of all and I obviously liked it a bit more before I read the book. The film is and isn´t a Lynch movie and the fan cut at the end is about as definitive a version as we will ever get but it got many things right and was more or less as good as we would have gotten with that upside-down-broken decade+ production. David Lean was even supposed to do it in the early 70s! Take it away Harlan Ellison (yep):

This might be the greatest eulogy to doomed a film that ever was. It killed 3 production companies! Is this why the fan-cuts never leave YT? Lol.
Let´s see if his prophecy still holds true in 202X. One thing is for certain though. Jürgen Prochnow´s duke can´t be topped (the whole cast is as crazy as the new one), the score is a 10/10 and the film´s battle pugs need to come back:
94b0c17b8b1e0d68108ab51177cbb12c.png

lSaOP9E.png

They are rooted in the Europen art movements that the film chose to adapt. And look who got a toy deal from that film, Dune Cat lives!
dune3.jpg
91082b04-4b38-4a74-9aa8-05d49901db3b_screenshot.jpg

Better milk that rat-cat Thufir if you want to live! I could go on about the film´s bizarre legacy and I certainly will. I´ll put those children's activity books back into print singlehandedly if I must! Shai-hulud bless the 80s:
pzo8cfxhvtj01.jpg

Yes, these are 100% real. I´ll post a pdf for one when the trailer drops so that you can share with your youngest family members.
The Sci-Fi channel adaptations of Dune 1-3 were ok btw but they are more for completionists. The first also half remakes Lynch´s film. A 6/10 to both.

Dune 1984´s Snyder-cut:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit, I can't wait to get further into the book if that's the kind of crazy pulp sci-fi scale that awaits.

That's nothing compared to chairdogs. The ultimate companion. But yea it gets wild.

And those God Emperor drawings are meh

His arms and legs are vestiges
This is the best one:

hvx876vzyvwz.jpg

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Yeah, but just LOOK at that Isaacs picture.

The eyes, man, the eyes.

Those images of the Atreides in armour can't be from the Spice Mining inspection, else they'd be wearing Fremen-made stillsuits.

Chani would also get a severe reprimand for poor stillsuit discpline with the facemask down like that...as anyone who has read God Emp and can remember Siona refusing to put on her facemask while in the Sareer with Leto II as she undergoes her gom jabbar, even that amount of exposed skin can cause catastrophic moisture loss.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A lot has been said about Dune 1984. I give it a 7/10 first of all and I obviously liked it a bit more before I read the book. The film is and isn´t a Lynch movie and the fan cut at the end is about as definitive a version as we will ever get but it got many things right and was more or less as good as we would have gotten with that upside-down-broken decade+ production. David Lean was even supposed to do it in the early 70s! Take it away Harlan Ellison (yep):

This might be the greatest eulogy to doomed a film that ever was. It killed 3 production companies! Is this why the fan-cuts never leave YT? Lol.
Let´s see if his prophecy still holds true in 202X. One thing is for certain though. Jürgen Prochnow´s duke can´t be topped (the whole cast is as crazy as the new one), the score is a 10/10 and the film´s battle pugs need to come back:
94b0c17b8b1e0d68108ab51177cbb12c.png

lSaOP9E.png

They are rooted in the Europen art movements that the film chose to adapt. And look who got a toy deal from that film, Dune Cat lives!
dune3.jpg
91082b04-4b38-4a74-9aa8-05d49901db3b_screenshot.jpg

Better milk that rat-cat Thufir if you want to live! I could go on about the film´s bizarre legacy and I certainly will. I´ll put those children's activity books back into print singlehandedly if I must! Shai-hulud bless the 80s:
pzo8cfxhvtj01.jpg

Yes, these are 100% real. I´ll post a pdf for one when the trailer drops so that you can share with your youngest family members.
The Sci-Fi channel adaptations of Dune 1-3 were ok btw but they are more for completionists. The first also half remakes Lynch´s film. A 6/10 to both.

Dune 1984´s Snyder-cut:

3 fucking hours

wow lol