• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Cautiously optomistic. Cassian was a nothing character for me (Saw Gererra was more interesting imo), but if they get a similar vibe to the Star Wars: Underworld concept trailer I'll be a fan:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Of all the possible Star Wars shows that could be created Disney decides to spend money on a series revolving around a forgettable character from Rogue One.

Other than The Acolyte and Obi-Wan there's nothing else that exciting in terms of upcoming Star Wars content. It feels like Disney doesn't really know how to handle the IP.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not as hyped on Rogue One as a lot of Star Wars fans and Cassian was hardly the most interesting character in the movie. So this is going to have to be pretty amazing for me to give a shit. There are about a dozen side characters from The Mandalorian that I would rather get a show about, let alone the movies.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
This is gonna be good. Diego Luna is a great actor and Tony Gilroy is largely the reason Rogue One works on any level. People keep ripping on Cassian but he was one of the few characters in the film that stood out with something resembling an internal conflict. I don't see what about the premise or the character precludes this show from being successful.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
I guess I'm a weirdo, I liked Rogue One mostly for its characters (with Cassian being the best one) and how it showed the dark side of the Rebellion. Sounds like the show will expand on precisely what I liked about the film. I don't know if I'll watch it, I haven't watched anything Star Wars since TROS and don't even have D+, but it sounds pretty cool imo. When they announced all the different shows this was the one that interested me the most from the start.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm a weirdo, I liked Rogue One mostly for its characters (with Cassian being the best one) and how it showed the dark side of the Rebellion. Sounds like the show will expand on precisely what I liked about the film. I don't know if I'll watch it, I haven't watched anything Star Wars since TROS and don't even have D+, but it sounds pretty cool imo. When they announced all the different shows this was the one that interested me the most from the start.

+1

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
I cannot wait for this phase of naming new movies and shows after the main character goes away. It makes everything feel same-y, and all of Disney's Marvel and Star Wars stuff looking exactly the same isn't helping matters. Boba Fett, Andor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Lightyear, Loki, etc. are so terribly uncreative.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to it. I like the characters in Rogue One, and Gilroy getting to expand on those characters is good for me. Diego Luna is a wonderful actor, too. Y tu mamá también is a freakin classic.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm skeptical just because of Andor's attachment, but if this ends up being a broader look at the Empire and the resistance movement that becomes the Rebel Alliance, then it will be a very worthy show. It sounds vaguely like Rebels, which was amazing precisely because it explored these things--even within the confines of being a children's cartoon.

Jocund

Mar 9, 2018
Andor is a series anchored by a promising writing team and an excellent Latino actor. It also suggests a fresh narrative with a unique perspective that doesn't revolve around Jedi or Skywalkers.

But we don't care!

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
The entire concept behind this show sounds amazing and there's a strong writers' room behind this. Due to the latter, I'm approaching this with cautious optimism. Andor could easily be the best D+ Star Wars content if the execution of the concept is there.

SpudBud

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Diego Luna is great, and shady rebel shit sounds like it could be fun. Some great writing talent involved too. That alone should make it more interesting then Book of Boba.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am completely uninterested in this. I am 100% for them doing it however, because I've been complaining for years about how everything's so Skywalker centric.
Doing something completely devoid of that is an interesting experiment.

That they'll probably blow by having Vader cameo in the third episode or something.
I'm all for more non-Skywalker stories, but you can't tell me people were actually begging for a Cassian Andor movie. I have a hard time caring about this, especially since it's a prequel.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about this because Cassian should be free from any baggage and connections other shows have, which gives them some freedom to explore a different side of SW. ... If they actually choose to do so. Plus Tony Gilroy.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot wait for this phase of naming new movies and shows after the main character goes away. It makes everything feel same-y, and all of Disney's Marvel and Star Wars stuff looking exactly the same isn't helping matters. Boba Fett, Andor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Lightyear, Loki, etc. are so terribly uncreative.
Boba Fett's series actually had an interesting/creative title that wasn't just his own name — but it weirdly meant nothing to the show!

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I also wondered myself who wanted the first Star Wars movie. I mean why should people care.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Era always sucking the excitement out of everything Star Wars as usual.
People are fucking tired of prequel material eternally spinning in this section of the timeline. Surely it isn't very hard to understand why eyes roll when they fabricate yet another story starring a character we've already seen, just before what we've already seen happen to them.

The cowardice of this franchise is ridiculous to some of us now. Is the Jyn Erso prequel in the works yet?

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since it's 12 episodes, I'm assuming they'll be around 30 minutes a piece?
No one knows yet, but it could be anywhere between 30 and 50 IMO

At 41:08 in a recorded video of the Disney+ presentation at the D23 Expo, Diego Luna said Cassian Andor's series would run for "10 hours or more". This means Andor's 12-episode 1st season will each have 12 50-minute-plus episodes. For now, this answers the question of how long each Andor episode is.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
People are fucking tired of prequel material eternally spinning in this section of the timeline. Surely it isn't very hard to understand why eyes roll when they fabricate yet another story starring a character we've already seen, just before what we've already seen happen to them.

The cowardice of this franchise is ridiculous to some of us now. Is the Jyn Erso prequel in the works yet?

If people are SO tired of it why come into every thread about the subject and bitch about how much they don't like it. Complaining about its existence isnt going to change the fact that its happening. It's not hard to ignore something you don't like.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Cassian was clearly doing some shady shit behind the scenes for the rebellion.

Was established in Rogue One. I mean his entire mission was to assasinate Galen Erso.

And that commander guy who gave him the order clearly knew that Cassian would do it on the dl without question which speaks to his history.

It's a War, so Rebellion does a shady thing too.

Mon Montta just wants to sure it less collateral damage.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to this show more than Obi-Wan. Really love to see a scoundrel-focused show involving one of my favorite SW movies. Don't @ me.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm looking forward to it and you cynical bastards won't dim my shine. Strong writers, showrunner, and lead actor. Can't wait

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The writing team and Diego are the only reasons I care at all about this. But I'd rather it have zero connection to Rogue One since that's more or less a nothing moving for me.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
If people are SO tired of it why come into every thread about the subject and bitch about how much they don't like it. Complaining about its existence isnt going to change the fact that its happening. It's not hard to ignore something you don't like.
Theads will never be built solely for those with positive comments on products. It just doesn't work that way. Why do people with something good to say post? Why do people post to complain about people complaining?

It's an open forum.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
After reading this thread. I think this show could be pretty good...
BUT

Damnit lets leave this skywalker era period. Lets go far in the past or something

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
Yeah I mean his characterisation before now was:
- Tired
- Grizzled
- Merc'd a guy because he looked like a squealer

It's safe to say he's seen some shit. (I am looking forward to the show)

Considering his upbringing during the Clone Wars on the side of the separatists, it would have been such a more badass setup if the entire show were a live action clone wars show from his point of view as a child soldier on the sep side.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Listen to this, I got it…

Cassian Andor…

Michael Corleone.

It's The Godfather. But it's Star Wars."

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Theads will never be built solely for those with positive comments on products. It just doesn't work that way. Why do people with something good to say post? Why do people post to complain about people complaining?

It's an open forum.
I never said a thread has to be exclusively positive and that's not what I was implying. I'm saying what is the point of complaining and saying you hate ____ every time the topic is brought up in every thread focused about said topic. if you're that bothered by it just fucking ignore it lol. Shitting up a thread is not adding to the discussion, all I'm saying.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
After reading this thread. I think this show could be pretty good...
BUT

Damnit lets leave this skywalker era period. Lets go far in the past or something
They are doing exactly that, and announced as much quite a while ago. Most of the prominent EU storytellers have been collaborating on the large-scale High Republic era story for a couple years now, with numerous books and comics, and a High Republic-era TV show from Leslie Headland is active development. They're also working on a new phase of High Republic stories going even further back in time. Also, the next movie is likely Taika's film, which was *heavily* implied upon announcement to be set around the foundation of the Jedi Order.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I never said a thread has to be exclusively positive and that's not what I was implying. I'm saying what is the point of complaining and saying you hate ____ every time the topic is brought up in every thread focused about said topic. if you're that bothered by it just fucking ignore it lol. Shitting up a thread is not adding to the discussion, all I'm saying.
You're contradicting yourself the moment you call a negative opinion "shitting up the thread", period. If no one in is trolling you don't have the right.

Maybe instead of focusing on and reacting to the negative opinions you could, I dunno, ignore them to post your feelings about the show itself instead, maybe say something positive so the conversation is balanced.

At least the naysayers are keeping it on topic; what are the people behaving like YOU doing?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for more non-Skywalker stories, but you can't tell me people were actually begging for a Cassian Andor movie. I have a hard time caring about this, especially since it's a prequel.
Maybe "only do the things that fans are begging for" should not be a litmus test for what does and doesn't get made, though.

rubbish_opinions

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 8, 2021
I'm tired of prequels. This is a prequel to a prequel, it's looking too much like an Inception thing. I want the story to move forward, not backwards. And please no JJ. These are my 2cs, spend them wisely.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe "only do the things that fans are begging for" should not be a litmus test for what does and doesn't get made, though.
Never meant to imply that was the case. It's specifically this being a story about an already established character that very few care about. What's worse is this feels like it'll be more retreading with this essentially being a prequel to a prequel like rubbish_opinions mentioned.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Never meant to imply that was the case. It's specifically this being a story about an already established character that very few care about. What's worse is this feels like it'll be more retreading with this essentially being a prequel to a prequel like rubbish_opinions mentioned.
ok, and isn't the whole point of a tv show to make you care about the character(s)? If it's good, you'll care! If it's not, then you won't! It's not like step one in the writing process is "does the majority of the audience already care about this character?" and if the answer is no then they don't proceed. Or to put it another way: if this was still a show about the early days of the rebellion, with rebels doing shady, morally questionable espionage, guerilla war shit against the Empire, but it starred a brand new character/actor you'd never heard of before, is that immediately more attractive? It's not you like know and care about that person (yet).

The best show on tv right now is a prequel that spun off of a much popular show, starring who was previously a minor joke character that nobody expected, wanted, or thought would be capable of headlining his own series. Yet it exists and it fucking rocks. I don't think Andor, or any other prequel spin-off of anything, will come within spitting distance of Better Call Saul, for sure. But I don't think "this is not someone I already care about" should be a disqualifier imo. If the show works, then you will care. And if it doesn't work, then it doesn't work, but I don't think it'll be because it needed to start off with a widely beloved character. Looking at Rogue One and Mando vs. Solo and Boba Fett, SW spin-offs tend to do better the less you know and care about their leads going into it anyway!

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Acolyte still sounding like the most interesting project on LF slate.

Headland, best known for her work producing and directing for the shows Russian Doll and Single Drunk Female, and the movies Bachelorette and Sleeping With Other People, is drawing extensively from what's known as the Expanded Universe, or "the E.U.," which is the plethora of books, games, and comics that are now considered unofficial "legends" instead of narrative canon. When The Acolyte debuts, lovers of those stories may be relieved to see aspects of them become real once again.

You can't just end up with George's Phantom Menace situation if everything is going well.

It has to be going well at the expense of what? What is not being attended to? What are we turning a blind eye to that could lead to the rise of somebody like Palpatine about a century later? Yes, it's one bad guy, but it's one bad guy that completely undermines the entire system of government. A lot of other things must have been going on beneath the surface.

And we know the Jedi completely miss this.

[They're] constantly talking about balance. If the light side is proliferating everywhere, what's going on with the dark side? How is it manifesting itself? What is it doing to survive? Because it very clearly does later on in the world.

Influences:

So I actually went more toward martial arts films, and storylines that are a little bit more personal and less global and galactic. Those warriors were on missions that were deeply personal, with people feeling wronged and having to make it right. Wuxia Films and martial arts films from King Hu and the Shaw Brothers, like Come Drink With Me and Touch Of Zen. They're monks that are also martial arts heroes.

And I was like, "I think if you want to explore Star Wars from the perspective of the bad guys, the best time to do it is when the bad guys are wildly outnumbered. When they actually are essentially the underdogs, for lack of a better term." So this would be that era.

More here:

www.vanityfair.com

‘The Acolyte’: How ‘Star Wars’ Is About to Venture Back in Time

Showrunner Leslye Headland previews the upcoming Disney+ series set in the galaxy’s High Republic era.