• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know anything about Dune. Is the Lynch film a good watch? It's the only thing I haven't seen of his other than Inland Empire. Wasn't there another movie with William Hurt in the early 00s too?
The Lynch film is awful, the two miniseries (with William Hurt as Leto) adapting the first three novels have much better scripts but the first one literally has the actors sitting on a bit of sand with a cheap painted desert background behind them.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Joke post?

Also, how dare he make the Blade Runner world look bleak and without life.......................
My point was, Dune is very much in its own league and deserves a visual treatment that has something special something striking that makes it instantly recognizable as Dune, and that quality I haven't seen in any of his films except bladerunner and even there its muted and toned down.

If watching Arrival all you said was look at that pebble in that scene........ IDK man.
That was literally what was going trough my mind in the theaters. The most striking element in arrival where the aliens themselves and its something I have not seen before. That is all I want. show me shit that I have not seen in any other movie and then we get close to what kind of visuals dune deserves.

Dune deserves to sit among giants like Alien, and honestly, I don't think Denis has what it takes to direct a feature that has that level of striking visuals.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Don't know anything about Dune. Is the Lynch film a good watch? It's the only thing I haven't seen of his other than Inland Empire. Wasn't there another movie with William Hurt in the early 00s too?

6cpffM4.jpeg

Unless you're watching with the sound off. It looks amazing but it's a trash ass script, and the acting is all over the place.

The ScyFi adaptations are the opposite, they look like shit but they execute the story better.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Blade Runner disappointed me but I still think Villeneuve is the best director alive, I have very high hopes for this.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Damn...guess I'll read the book before this comes out. I'm still interested in seeing the Lynch film just to see how fucked up it is.
I very much hope for some strange visuals. Denis has always been very plain and boring with his world depictions and dune deserves something great!
Now this...is truth. I think Blade Runner 2049 is a masterpiece (and indisputably better than the original), but the one aspect where it falls short compared to the first film is production design. Blade Runner just looks so much better throughout.

Oct 27, 2017
maybe i'm just sniffing farts, but i hope this whole movie adopts a minimalist bleakcore aesthetic
plebians clutching their speed racer blurays while i drown in tasteful monochromatic bliss

edit: trying to imagine some lines from "Fun Dune", which is a cursed idea

<14 yr old youtube sensation as young Paul Atreides Anderson>: "Now this is worm riding!"

Retrosmith

Mar 2, 2020
I wonder if Johann Johansson would've had a chance to score this film or was H. Zimmer always the first choice.

Hope he comes up with something exotic and different for Dune.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
maybe i'm just sniffing farts, but i hope this whole movie adopts a minimalist bleakcore aesthetic
plebians clutching their speed racer blurays while i drown in tasteful monochromatic bliss

edit: trying to imagine some lines from "Fun Dune", which is a cursed idea

<14 yr old youtube sensation as young Paul Atreides Anderson>: "Now this is worm riding!"
"You want me to ride that... you guys are crazy"
Que montage of Paul trying and failing countless times to ride the worm

Last edited:

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
How likely will Villeneuve do that anime thing Lynch did where everyone internally monologues their thoughts?

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
That's a dumb first image for a movie, but ok. They're mostly unaffected by the quarantine right?

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Already hyped from that image.

Villeneuve almost guarantees this will be great (and look great).

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is still my most anticipated film right now and Tim looks great here, but gotta be honest, this isn't the most exciting first look to put out lmao. Hopefully there are some more photos coming tomorrow when they give more info.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
"Doesn't look fun" is going in the lawsuit

PM me more charges as warranted against Fraudneueve

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Don't know anything about Dune. Is the Lynch film a good watch?

As others have said, it's not very good. However, it's worth a watch IMO. The production design is interesting and it inspired all the Dune video games that were released prior to the awful second Cryo one.

Read the book first though. The pacing in the second half of the Lynch movie is breakneck and cuts far too much, so it helps to know the story. It almost feels like they got half way though making it before realising that it was going to be four hours long, and then just dumped half the script in the trash to hit the two hour target.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Looks like something fox would cancel after 8 episodes

lmao

I like the font, but yeah, the coloring and the background really makes this look something I'd see from some standard TV show.

I remember seeing a leaked image a while back with that same font that had some sort of beautiful aerial desert shot behind it. They really should have used that.

edit:

here it is in case it hasn't already been posted

mo4zjiU.jpg

Nov 11, 2017
Visuals should serve the story/theme. Denis understands this though it seems some people in this thread don't seem to. If people wanted a less 'muted' BR 2049 then they would want a different film. Same goes for whatever Dune will be.

Forget about what has come before. Denis is adapting the book.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
"uninteresting to look at."

xhCqJa8h.gif

Rx7AwFih.gif

vR0jRJx.gif

7fd5bce.gif
Its things I have seen before executed differently.
Solar farms, neon lit skyscrapers, 2 cars, it is visually sound and stylish, but in its essence they are boring takes, to the point where the tears in rain speech where far more visually captivating than the entire Bladerunner 2049 movie. And I don't say that as hating the movie, I don't, I think its a great film, but its not on the same level as the original Bladerunner at all.
(The original bladerunner pulled that off in the 80's and 30 years later what we got is the same, and nothing more. A good take for sure, far better than any could have hoped, but not as great as it should have been.)

Bladerunner and Alien where 2 movies that blew my mind as a kid to what was possible in cinema. it showed me scenes that I have never seen before.

With Dune I want to see what I have not seen before, I want my eyeballs blown out of my skull. I want a movie that is that directors magnum opus, a work that is as elevated as the books where. Not just a cinematic treatment as if its just another movie on the directors list.

I want a director that can deliver even a sliver of the passion and dream that Jodorowsky had for this material. Maybe I am expecting too much, but I don't think I am, not for dune.

Maybe Denis can pull that off, and if he does he has my all time respect and I think the respect of all fans who love Dune. But I am lowering my expectation by a lot in terms of what to expect from Denis and this Dune movie just so I don't get massively disappointed once footage gets shown.

Nov 11, 2017
I don't agree with your comments in general about Denis' visual aesthetic, but I do agree that 2049 doesn't look as impressive as the original. The original is an absolute masterclass in lighting and the city feels much more lived in. I'm also a little bias when I say I prefer the grainy texture of film.
Its things I have seen before executed differently.
Solar farms, neon lit skyscrapers, 2 cars, it is visually sound and stylish, but in its essence they are boring takes, to the point where the tears in rain speech where far more visually captivating than the entire Bladerunner 2049 movie. And I don't say that as hating the movie, I don't, I think its a great film, but its not on the same level as the original Bladerunner at all.
(The original bladerunner pulled that off in the 80's and 30 years later what we got is the same, and nothing more. A good take for sure, far better than any could have hoped, but not as great as it should have been.)

Bladerunner and Alien where 2 movies that blew my mind as a kid to what was possible in cinema. it showed me scenes that I have never seen before.

With Dune I want to see what I have not seen before, I want my eyeballs blown out of my skull. I want a movie that is that directors magnum opus, a work that is as elevated as the books where. Not just a cinematic treatment as if its just another movie on the directors list.

I want a director that can deliver even a sliver of the passion and dream that Jodorowsky had for this material. Maybe I am expecting too much, but I don't think I am, not for dune.

Maybe Denis can pull that off, and if he does he has my all time respect and I think the respect of all fans who love Dune. But I am lowering my expectation by a lot in terms of what to expect from Denis and this Dune movie just so I don't get massively disappointed once footage gets shown.
Jodorowsky's Dune concepts were beautiful... but it would have been a god awful adaptation.