• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Of all Villeneuve flicks, Blade Runner was the only one I disliked. What a drag... Everything else was great. I hope he finds back his rythm on this one.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Isn't Paul supposed to be 15 at the beginning of Dune? This actor looks much too old in this picture.

The casting of his parents sounds perfect though.
You see little woman? Dudes fanfuckingtastic in that. Plays a 14 or 15 year old in that and times jump to him in his 20's and he does a amazing job in both time frames. Go see that movie if you haven't it's pretty damn good!

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
In contrast to the haters, I hope this is as exquisitely paced as Blade Runner.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I very much hope for some strange visuals. Denis has always been very plain and boring with his world depictions and dune deserves something great!

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
The marketing wasn't the problem. The movie itself isn't something that can be sold to the public easily, especially when its a sequel to a movie that came out ages ago. The same thing was going to happen to this version of Dune, regardless of marketing push, just watch.
The fact that they thought that telling you the plot of the movie was a spoiler speaks to the marketing failure of BR2049. There is no reason they couldn't have said they were looking for the child of Rachel and Deckert in the trailer. The movie was sold on "hey look at how cool this looks" and if you have no connection to the original why would you want to see that movie?

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that they thought that telling you the plot of the movie was a spoiler speaks to the marketing failure of BR2049. There is no reason they couldn't have said they were looking for the child of Rachel and Deckert in the trailer. The movie was sold on "hey look at how cool this looks" and if you have no connection to the original why would you want to see that movie?
People only watch event films these days. That's the problem.
Most people only go to the theatre to watch superheroes or star wars. Maybe take their kids to see an animated movie but that's it.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I very much hope for some strange visuals. Denis has always been very plain and boring with his world depictions and dune deserves something great!

enemy5-750x290.jpg

1487623674-ezgif-2-8b28b07fc8.gif

Boring?

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
People only watch event films these days. That's the problem.
Most people only go to the theatre to watch superheroes or star wars. Maybe take their kids to see an animated movie but that's it.
Uh not true

Knives Out and A Star is Born (off the top of my head) were a massive box office success and they're hardly what you'd call an event film

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
You see little woman? Dudes fanfuckingtastic in that. Plays a 14 or 15 year old in that and times jump to him in his 20's and he does a amazing job in both time frames. Go see that movie if you haven't it's pretty damn good!
I haven't seen it. My wife mentioned it though. Might check it out. Thanks.

You liked BR2049 but not Arrival? huh wouldn't have thought that, usually it's BR that is described as boring because it is pretty slow moving.

Enemy I can understand.
I love the BR world. Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies of all time. Arrival, I don't know what I expected. The big reveal was kind of underwhelming to me.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
ChubbyEasyBarbet-size_restricted.gif

Also, I don't know who's complaining about Chamalet... I had to look up who he was when I heard he'd been cast, I don't think I'd even heard his name before. I sure as hell haven't seen him in "everything". I watched The King to get a feel for whether he could pull off a character like this, and the answer is absolutely "yes", he's a fine actor.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
ChubbyEasyBarbet-size_restricted.gif

Also, I don't know who's complaining about Chamalet... I had to look up who he was when I heard he'd been cast, I don't think I'd even heard his name before. I sure as hell haven't seen him in "everything". I watched The King to get a feel for whether he could pull off a character like this, and the answer is absolutely "yes", he's a fine actor.

enemy, go watch it.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
A bit confused by the complaints that Chalamet looks too old. He is a lot more boyish looking than MacLachlan and easily passes as a teenager, while being the hot young actor at the moment.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To add to what others are saying in this thread, one of the big appeals of the novels is the various houses conspiring against each other and the politics involved, think of Game of Thrones but in a feudal sci-fi setting instead of a medieval fantasy setting. George R.R. Martin basically owes everything to Frank Herbert.

The political posturing in Dune (the original novel) is so thin as to be non-existent. You practically know the names of only two houses and everything else is the vaguest of allusions. There are words to the effect but it's all shallow background noise.

For better or worse, they're very different things. I definitely wouldn't try to sell someone on Dune with this comparison.

I am ridiculously hyped for this movie (these movies? Please!) though. Villeneuve and this cast are going to nail it. Zero doubts. Pls actually come out this year.

Oct 29, 2017
You think they choose a frame explicitly not on Arakis so people would know they can't predict the look of the entire film based on a single picture?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
You think they choose a frame explicitly not on Arakis so people would know they can't predict the look of the entire film based on a single picture?
They don't even need to unveil anything from Arakis in tomorrows Vanity Fair piece. They could still focus on the opening and the Atreides family preparing to leave their homeworld.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
very much so, one is a big spider, the other a big pebble.
None of his works had the visual spunk that is needed for Dune, so I am hoping I will be wrong.
Bladerunner was visually the most daring but even there he made the world look bleak and without life, especially compared to the original.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
None of his works had the visual spunk that is needed for Dune, so I am hoping I will be wrong.
Bladerunner was visually the most daring but even there he made the world look bleak and without life, especially compared to the original.

That was the point.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I know it's not a lot to go on, but the big slab sided Highliners above Caladan give me hope that he'll go after the unexpected baroque and arthouse extremes that both Lynch and (nearly) Jodorowski were excited about.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The political posturing in Dune (the original novel) is so thin as to be non-existent. You practically know the names of only two houses and everything else is the vaguest of allusions. There are words to the effect but it's all shallow background noise.

For better or worse, they're very different things. I definitely wouldn't try to sell someone on Dune with this comparison.

I am ridiculously hyped for this movie (these movies? Please!) though. Villeneuve and this cast are going to nail it. Zero doubts. Pls actually come out this year.

The houses Harkonnen, Atreides and Corrino take center stage in the first book but the other houses are represented through the guild - itself the real power behind the throne - and the other real power brokers are the Bene Gesserit, the Bene Tleilax and the Fremen under Paul. The politics are dense and constant across the whole series and the geopolitical allusions through energy and drug wars are deeply embroidered and reinforced. If you removed the Sci fi it would be a political drama imo.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
If watching Arrival all you said was look at that pebble in that scene........ IDK man.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know anything about Dune. Is the Lynch film a good watch? It's the only thing I haven't seen of his other than Inland Empire. Wasn't there another movie with William Hurt in the early 00s too?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Joke post?

Also, how dare he make the Blade Runner world look bleak and without life.......................

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know anything about Dune. Is the Lynch film a good watch? It's the only thing I haven't seen of his other than Inland Empire. Wasn't there another movie with William Hurt in the early 00s too?
I think it's worth watching for the costumes and set designs, but as a film it is rather boring.

It completely fascinated me as a kid though because I hadn't seen anything like it.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I read Dune for the first time this year and thought it was pretty bad, but I'm curious to see how Denis takes on this adaptation. I have a feeling I may like his version more.