• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire

Shes a fucking sociopath

lmao
14802fb56e8c.jpg

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Buried near the end of the article:
Is she a sociopath? "I'll leave it to the psychologists to decide whether Holmes fits the clinical profile," he writes, "but there's no question that her moral compass was badly askew." Former employees raise this question with frequency. One pointed to a formative experience: Holmes's father, Christian, was an executive at Enron, and the family's finances were affected by its collapse.

THIS EXPLAINS EVERYTHING

Like father, like daughter.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Calling regular ol' dogs wolves is so damn damaging and harmful to both wolves and dogs. I made a post about it at the old place.

People's dogs die over this kind of shit.

Huskies are fucking amazing. Why the need to label them as anything else is beyond me.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's worse is you know that dog is getting dumped in a pound or worse once its usefulness is up.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you have interest in this story you HAVE to read the book, Bad Blood. Every chapter just kept getting crazier and crazier and it's a truly unbelievable story. She got her company to a 9 billion dollar valuation on outright fraud and was constantly lying/covering up, trying to Will her vision into existence.

Really great book.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The book about is a fun and quick read.
Get's really nutty at the end when her lawyers come in to try to kill the story (the news story the book is based on).

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder who will play Erika Cheung and Tyler Shultz in the movie. They are the real MVP's. Whoever plays Tyler is probably a shoo in for an oscar nomination, especially when he gets confronted by grandpa Shultz and ultimately has his grandpa take her side. I can already see that drama playing out in screen.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Man, she must have had S tier charisma to pull off what she did.
Judging from her now-removed TED Talk, I'd say, no, she did not have S-tier charisma - she didn't even have D-tier charisma.

How was she able to pull if off?

She is White.

(And she's probably a psychopath too...)

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Psychopath + white + natural bluffer (charisma???) + inherited "morals" from her Enron father

Probably a narcissist as well going how by she tries to mimic other entrepreneurs,

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's staggering that she believed she could do the things she wanted with such lax scientific principles.
It's more staggering that people with no scientific principles decided to throw their money at her.

Theranos is a good lesson in how fucking dumb investors really are.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
It's more staggering that people with no scientific principles decided to throw their money at her.

Theranos is a good lesson in how fucking dumb investors really are.
Ya, and they took so much things "on credit" in terms of just being willing to go with it as long as they got a share and a promise. Maybe thats another intrinsic thing with business.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Judging from her now-removed TED Talk, I'd say, no, she did not have S-tier charisma - she didn't even have D-tier charisma.

How was she able to pull if off?

She is White.

(And she's probably a psychopath too...)
Thing is if you read up her story, she convinced tons of people to invest millions. Charisma doesn't necessarily mean you're some gregarious stand up comic. It's about influence and if you read about what her former teachers said about her, it rather scary. She was highly persuasive. Definitely sociopathic tendencies there.

The Dropout podcast mentioned ITT shows this very well too. She was scarily effective.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Thing is if you read up her story, she convinced tons of people to invest millions. Charisma doesn't necessarily mean you're some gregarious stand up comic. It's about influence and if you read about what her former teachers said about her, it rather scary. She was highly persuasive. Definitely sociopathic tendencies there.
Right. She was definitely charismatic in that she was able to bullshit her way through almost anything and convince a bunch of smart people to trust what she was saying. When her machine would break down and not work while in the middle of a presentation with investors, her staff would panic, but she wouldn't miss a beat in explaining it away and managing to salvage the presentation of a broken device. It takes a certain amount of charisma and knowing how to work a room to pull that off, along with the cold sense of detachment from a pathological liar.

The book really delves deep into the influence and persuasion employed in meetings, boardrooms, and interactions with powerful people, especially older men. There is one chapter early into her running Theranos where the board agreed to remove her as CEO but she managed to stop the board coupe by talking her way out of it.

Few passages from the book:

"Over the course of the next 2 hours, Elizabeth convinced them to change their minds. She told them that she recognized there were issues with her management and promised to change. She would be more transparent and responsive going forward. It wouldn't happen again.

"...Elizabeth used right mix of contrition and charm to gradually win back his three board colleagues. It was an impressive performance, he thought. A much older and experienced CEO skilled in the art of corporate infighting would have been hard pressed to turn the situation around like she had. He was reminded of an old saying: When you strike at the King, you must kill him. Todd and Michael had struck at the King, or rather the Queen, but she'd survived."

The author of the book anticipated that someone might think she was only able to influence these men because they were sexually attracted to her but he cites an example of her even manipulating an out gay man into trusting her completely. It's easy to make fun of but her wide-eyed-unblinking stare made people feel like she was staring into their soul, and coupled with her unnatural voice, she had a presence about her that helped with her deception. And she was good about finding out what your passion was and playing up how partnering with her could help you achieve it.

That explains why she was able to keep the Safeway CEO in the palm of her hand even after she missed deadline after deadline to deliver a working device. She exploited his love of wellness and after they invested $100 million into building the theranos/wellness centers in their stores, they felt like they had to stick it out to avoid admitting it was a complete loss.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It has always amazed me that she has somehow avoided prison thus far.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I think I've read every rinkydink, loony load of bullshit this scam artist did I'm convinced I've read it all. Dog must have been allergic to lies.
Everything about Theranos is Venture Capital investment, fake tech nonsense, and our bloated fake ass economy all rolled into one perfectly distilled image of madness. Literally everything involved was lies designed to make already wealthy people even more wealthy until someone caught on to the scam and they all collectively move to the next one.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
According to the last ep of the podcast Elizabeth is: happily engaged to someone 8 years her junior, not repentant or worried about her case, and is even thinking if starting a new company. This woman is something else lol

Oct 26, 2017
I listened to the Dropout and while it was fine for the most part it really showed how some outlets still don't really grasp how to put a show together. The whole vibe was so "made for TV" that it was distracting from time to time. Wish the host would loosen up lol.

Also I have no idea what was going on with that characterization in the end around her former classmate and Elizabeth being a persistent track runner... felt out of place.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
i'm watching The Inventor. This stuff must have been filmed before Theranos tanked, right? I mean her stuff.

Her voice is offputting. It's way too flat and deep compared to what you'd expect from looking at her. Like Sarah Huckabee Sanders voice but not on a mean looking person. Her eyes also freak me out.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i'm watching The Inventor. This stuff must have been filmed before Theranos tanked, right? I mean her stuff.

Her voice is offputting. It's way too flat and deep compared to what you'd expect from looking at her. Like Sarah Huckabee Sanders voice but not on a mean looking person. Her eyes also freak me out.

Several people have insisted her voice was manufactured and not real and heard her real voice when she would occasionally slip up.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/money-and-power/a26855364/elizabeth-holmes-deep-voice/

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
loved the 20/20 piece that was done on her. The Drop Out.. besides the podcast.

you can stream the full episode on ABC's website.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

It has been said that the voice is an act. The guy from WSJ seemed to agree that it's most likely fake and there's a video somewhere of her from a conference call where she can be heard speaking normally for a brief few seconds before apparently switching back to it.

I'm still absolutely fucking stunned how negligent Walgreens was in this whole deal. I mean all the investors who were apparently perfectly fine with her just being like "Yeah the shit works trust me" I can maybe understand but Walgreens weren't just investors they were about to roll this out to their stores and nobody did any due diligence. Incredible. People must have lost their jobs for that shit-show.

One thing that struck me as interesting was the comment by the psychologist (was it from Duke?) who said he believes at some point Holmes justified this by telling herself, "I'm just doing what everyone else in Silicon Valley is doing", i.e., fake it 'till you make it. It doesn't actually justify anything but it does put it in perspective because the reality is that is exactly what some Silicon Valley companies do. She and Sunny must have thought they just needed to buy a little more time and if they finally, magically produced an Edison that was even close to doing what they claimed, people would mostly forget the failures prior to that.

Also lmao at their party because the FDA approved one, outdated test. And her dancing. And then "Can't Touch This" being the end credit song.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
What I isn't understand about the whole voice thing is no one interviewed from her past had anything to say about it in the documentary? At least as far as I got... I watched the first 2/3rds of it last night.