• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Lifejumper

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to be excited after Book of Boba Fett. Maybe Obi-Wan will be amazing, but I'm currently doubtful.
Entirely different creative teams tho. Book of Boba was mostly bad because they allowed Rodriguez free reign on the set and even let him improvise most of the action shots.

And yeah Favreau's scripts were mid to bad.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Andor and The Acolyte will both slap hard, just you wait.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The power of TROS. And people will still insist it didn't damage the franchise.

Contrary to modern media practices, its ok to let an IP rest. Sometimes it is even a good thing. TPM and TFA were some of the highest grossing movies of all time at release. It's kind of sad that Disney feels the need to give us new stuff every 4 months because burnout is deadlier for an IP than absence

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
So yes I agree that Star Wars is iconic.

My opinion is that its fans (which are also the abject worst thing about the franchise) conflated the things for which Star Wars is actually iconic (revolutionizing modern special effects, big budget serialized storytelling, getting saved in editing) with the things that are the fluff (the lore, the official canon that everything and everyone has to have stapled to it, etc).

I'm not necessarily using "fluff" in a pejorative sense here (though, yes, there's a lot of really bad fluff in SW). I just think that most fans absolutely lost the plot when it came to what made SW work back in the olden days of the original trilogy.

If anything, SW transitioning into tv makes more sense. It's a live action Saturday morning cartoon, complete with red and blue lasers. The fans, however, decided to take it all Extremely Seriously and became so overwhelming in their stone-faced acceptance of what a Star Wars should be that it actually sliced its way into the gut of the creator of the franchise who made the prequels in a desperate attempt to do the thing that no storyteller should do, which is "answer all the questions".

You answer the big questions: "will the heroes prevail". You throw the small questions like "how did Han Solo get his striped pants" into the fucking garbage where they belong.

The problem I have with the modern franchise is that pretty much everything Star Wars that's been made since 1983 (and one could probably throw ROTJ in this boat as well) is that it all almost universally falls into the small question bucket. The main thrust of the conflicts in the new things largely revolve around these small questions: "how did Boba Fett survive", "why is Rey good at the force", "how do you train a Jedi" - and the big questions become the background fodder that used to be the role of the small questions. It's why that brief window when TFA initially came out felt really special: it seemed to be positing the big questions again (mostly because it's a soft reboot that was using the narrative devices of the first film - the stuff that made the franchise iconic in the first place) and then it all immediately got bogged down again in the frantic scramble to get the small questions answered.

So in conclusion, yes, Star Wars is iconic.

But it's also batting like two out of twelve or however many at this point, because it's been eating its own tail.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I LOVE Star Wars. I like most of what's in the prequels. I enjoyed VII and VIII might be my favorite in the franchise. TROS is pure shit. I fucking hate that this is how the saga ended.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rian got a shitton of Netflix money to make what's essentially a passion project, while Lucasfilm has films of Taika and Jenkins (unless they axe RS) on their slate for the next few years. Once Knives Out 3 is done, at least one of those two should be released while the other being in full production. Perfect time for Rian to get on board again.

*fingers crossed*
This is my dream scenario.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Contrary to modern media practices, its ok to let an IP rest. Sometimes it is even a good thing. TPM and TFA were some of the highest grossing movies of all time at release. It's kind of sad that Disney feels the need to give us new stuff every 4 months because burnout is deadlier for an IP than absence

Oh I don't disagree, but it's a fact that no big studio would ever stop and let an IP rest unless it has been proven to be damaged and they need to change the approach.

Disney absolutely wants 4 SW movies a year each doing 700M+ BO like the MCU

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Confused at the suggestion Feige isn't doing a SW movie. What is Waldron writing then? I feel like Kennedy is just being cagey about something that has not been officially announced yet.

Also interesting that the Grammar Rodeo series is set post-ROTJ when the rumor had been that it was also in the High Republic era.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Someone come and get me when they start doing movies again. I am simply not a TV guy any more. In my movie era.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
xub89xvbt0091.jpg
This is fucking badassssssss.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
but it's like no.... Patty Jenkins might make a fighter pilot movie for us. What?

I've been wanting a Rogue Squadron movie for literally over two decades so while I don't necessarily disagree with the rest of your post, that Star Wars fighter pilot shit is a childhood dream come to life.

I don't think the Rogue Squadron Legends books held up all that well when I last tried to re-read them a couple years ago but god I loved them when they first came out.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is all nice and everything but I honestly don't see how there is any redeeming the future of the franchise without retconning TROS.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
The claim that James Mangold worked on the Boba Fett movie has me very confused. Kathleen Kennedy has explicitly said he never worked on it:

"There really was virtually no previous development [of a Boba Fett project]," Kennedy told Empire magazine. "We never got very far with Josh [Trank], quite frankly, because we never developed anything specific with him. And Jim Mangold never worked on a Boba Fett story."

Her being evasive about the project Kevin Feige is working on is a little weird, too. The writer, Michael Waldron, just said that's what he's working on right now. Lucasfilm has yet to formally acknowledge the project, though, which is probably why Kennedy got squirrelly. Still a little odd. Rian's trilogy is exactly where we all thought it was: on hold until he's done with Knives Out. And Grammar Rodeo being set after Return of the Jedi sure seems to point to it featuring Luke's Jedi Temple in some way. But we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if that gets officially announced next week.

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
imagine putting any IP on such a pedestal that you think the IP owner making more shows/movies with that IP is "sullying the good name of an iconic franchise"

that kinda media worship is just so weird
imagine coming into a thread about new shows in a franchise people love just to be like "come off it." You must be very content with life.

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019

While TROS was truly awful, the entire sequel trilogy experience is to blame IMO. They wanted to strike quickly but it was so poorly planned.

And while I agree with most of the replies that I got ITT that TV shows fit this world well in many ways, (I mean the cartoons are great) it's still objectively a step down from what made this franchise so ubiquitous and the fact that they seem downright afraid to even discuss future films is what is most upsetting. Rian's movies will never happen, the Rogue Squadron movie that they released an "Official Teaser" for seems lost to the void and who knows what's up with Taika's at this point.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
So does this mean no more trilogies :( I actually enjoy the idea of them every 10-15 years from each other

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
LucasFilm's movie plans are now reduced to throwaway blurbs at the end of an article . . . . good. Just focus on the company's current strength's as a series/tv show creators. They got this. Don't recklessly throw money or trilogies at creatives and their production companies.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
RE: The Feige project confusion, we don't know when these interviews were conducted. Waldron's been pretty open about it since Dr. Strange premiered but before that Disney had been pretty tight lipped about the movie. This article also treats Hayden's involvement in Ahsoka as uncertain, despite the fact that we all know things are practically confirmed if they're being reported in the trades.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I guaranteee 90% of the people watching these new productions have forgotten about any details from that movie, if they watched it. It's a non-factor.

Yeah the bubble is strong with the always-online crowd. My mom said she liked Rise of Skywalker lol, she's been watching the series since day one in '77. Pretty sure she just watched it recently during a May 4th marathon.

We have so many cool Star Wars stories to pull from but it's always so close to home, I would kill for a Bane Triiology or even some of the Aphra comics, both bringing in new female characters.

I am surprised we haven't heard anything about Aphra being in a show or anything. She'll pop up somewhere, I'm sure of it.
Lol I'm watching Clone Wars right now in conjunction with the More Civilized Age podcast, and consistent is absolutely not the word to use for it.

Yeah it's the opposite of consistent. But it also shows the power of sticking to your guns as a creator. Look at Ahsoka. Straight up reviled by the fanbase at first but now they can't get enough of her. Just have to realize the fans are idiots who don't know anything and listening to them and being reactive to them is a huge mistake. The fans will come around because they have no where else to go and nothing else to do.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Cast the kid who plays Billy in the MCU for Grammar Rodeo you cowards

latest

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
My brain doesn't think Rian's movies will ever happen, but my heart chooses to hold onto hope since they still keep saying variations on "maybe someday" instead of just saying it's dead.

Ambivalent on the TV-driven future of the franchise. Not against the idea, but so far I haven't enjoyed more than a couple individual episodes the existing shows. (Edit: Still only seen a handful of episodes of the animated shows, though.)

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
And the trilogy from The Last Jedi's Rian Johnson that was announced five years ago? Back-burnered. "Rian has been unbelievably busy with Knives Outand the deal that he made at Netflix for multiple movies."

Lol how many times have some of us said this was never going to happen.

Seems a way of everyone getting to walk away from this situation with heads held high.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The John Watts show sounds trite and obvious, perfect for him and this brand.

Andor and Acolyte both sound really exciting.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
While TROS was truly awful, the entire sequel trilogy experience is to blame IMO. They wanted to strike quickly but it was so poorly planned.

And while I agree with most of the replies that I got ITT that TV shows fit this world well in many ways, (I mean the cartoons are great) it's still objectively a step down from what made this franchise so ubiquitous and the fact that they seem downright afraid to even discuss future films is what is most upsetting. Rian's movies will never happen, the Rogue Squadron movie that they released an "Official Teaser" for seems lost to the void and who knows what's up with Taika's at this point.
What made the franchise ubiquitous in the first place were all the books and comics and cartoons and toys and video games. That's literally what the word means lol. There was a time post-ROTJ and pre-Heir to the Empire where Star Wars was "dead" because there was no supplementary stories actively keeping people's interest. So you need that extra "fodder" to keep engaging people. To say nothing of the fact that a lot of the TV content (Rebels, Mando, and both iterations of Clone Wars) is generally better received than most of the movies anyway!

I think their reticence to talk about future films is understandable given how much grief they get for announcing things that they later rework or pull the plug on. You kind of proved the point yourself at the end there. It's probably not good PR to keep announcing X movies with Y directors for Z dates that they later say aren't happening. I'm antsy for a more concrete movie slate announcement but I get why they're feeling gun shy about it.

And ultimately, it's for the better that filmmakers are given time to work things out in development before starting on filming, than do what happened with all of the non-TLJ films so far and rush into production with rewrites and director changes happening on the fly. Sometimes that worked and sometimes it didn't, but general it's probably a better guiding principle to pump the brakes than to prioritize arbitrary release dates over story development. It's a bummer that Rogue Squadron (and likely no SW movie) isn't coming out next year, but better they take the time to work it out and rush something bad into theaters.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
After The Rise of Skywalker, the theatrical presence of Star Wars means nothing

So many people thought this about the PT. I think this will be proved false once they start coming out again.

I'm looking forward to a more civilized future of SW where kids today can enjoy the ST as adults, they just like the current gen is pushing back on the PT haters. The hate and vitriol launched at the PT was equally as bad as anything TROS had.

The online discourse around the ST and TROS I believe is not really what the average person thinks, even if it's disliked by the majority.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Super excited for all of these! Especially The Acolyte, as I have finally gotten around to delving into High Republic stuff and it's been quite enjoyable.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I LOVE Star Wars. I like most of what's in the prequels. I enjoyed VII and VIII might be my favorite in the franchise. TROS is pure shit. I fucking hate that this is how the saga ended.

rian johnson gave the series a huge out by disconnecting the sequel trilogy from the two previous trilogies and then abrams goes right back and hooks everything back to itself.

it would have been better had the sequels just been about the og crew and no one else.

the acolyte at least sounds somewhat interesting. it's the first thing in the film/show series that's not set within the same century as everything else.