• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
i wish she would just gone home to her parents after that incident in Utah.. i just finished watching the bodycam footage.. wow. thats definitely one toxic relationship
the Father said he didn't know this had happened and if it had, he would have flown to them and taken her home.

It probably would have saved her life, but, she didn't want to tell her parents about it. Embarassed I suppose.

everdom

Oct 29, 2017
If someone makes a statement that literally denies a specific type of abuse exists, it needs to be called out.

I have no idea why you would even begin to suggest otherwise.

If you can't see why people are upset that we have been derailed by whether or not Men are also victims, I don't know what to tell you.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally saw the bodycam footage. This was a toxic relationship was all I can say with any bit of certainty. Still need to collect my thoughts about it. Having grown up witnessing toxic relationships firsthand it hits close to home.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Her dad has said that if he had been aware of the incident, he would have flown out the next day to get her.

I think Gabby tried to be brave and get through it, but had essentially lost any support from Brian after that incident. By that point, the dude had zero concern for her well-being. At least he wasn't malicious to try to get her arrested for assault.
Honestly, Gabby getting arrested for assault was probably one of the least bad scenarios at this point. It means she'd probably be alive today because at that point her parents likely would have intervened.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Saying and agreeing with statements like "this whole thread" is quite upsetting here.

Do you both acknowledge that some of us have been speaking up against some posters who were making comments that actively deny the idea men can be victims of abuse and assault from women? And that there are a lot of people in here now making generalisations about people "taking his side" which feels very much like they are lumping us in with the people who are actually doing that? As a victim of this kind of assault those comments were incredibly difficult to read and see others defend.

I believe the man is guilty from the evidence we have, I don't think at all that the incident of assault on tape is anywhere near enough to consider him as a potential victim. I do think that it is necessary to speak up against posts that are dismissive of specific types of abuse, and It is very upsetting to see so many people seemingly ignore that.
The tangent about the domestic abuse call had nothing to do with why I'm annoyed. Laundrie has received more airtime here than Petito because he is a potential murderer and is the one who is decidedly not missing, naturally, but there have also been some really wild takes to explain how he could be innocent and Petito is just totes fine, random invocations of ACAB, and the tried and true worry that the court of public opinion will take another innocent man.

All the while some 20-something year old woman is missing in the wilderness.

Like, on a forum where we've had threads where people admitted "I could've been an incel too" with no hint of tact, the fact that there is no shortage of dudes who are more offended with the speculation that she may have, at the least, been murdered by abandonment than, you know, the fact that she is up and gone, is annoying, but I guess in the grand scheme not surprising.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Her dad has said that if he had been aware of the incident, he would have flown out the next day to get her.

I think Gabby tried to be brave and get through it, but had essentially lost any support from Brian after that incident. By that point, the dude had zero concern for her well-being. At least he wasn't malicious to try to get her arrested for assault.

Getting her arrested might have saved her life from whatever happened afterward.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just struggling to see a silver lining. I still can't picture a scenario where they parted ways, and he's quite because he's confident that she's out there somewhere living her best life. He's being quiet because he's confident that if they find her, he's fucked.

Yeah, if you were in a position where everyone thinks you're either a murderer or someone who left someone to die after an accident and you have ANY WAY of confirming that's not the case, why would you not use it? It makes zero sense why someone who knows she's alive and safe wouldn't just come out and be like "she's fine".

The only reasonable explanation is that he knows what happened to her and he knows that the police finding her will rain hell upon him specifically.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
So what are the chances he didn't murder her and these scenarios took place.

he got fed up with her and just ditched her out there.
She was killed in an accident and he left her up there thinking it looked bad.
My guess:
95% He is directly responsible for her death (murder, abandoning her in a location where she would likely die)
4.99% Accidental death where he is involved but looks guilty
0.01% She's alive somewhere

His behavior makes no sense if he believes that she's alive.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm just struggling to see a silver lining. I still can't picture a scenario where they parted ways, and he's quite because he's confident that she's out there somewhere living her best life. He's being quiet because he's confident that if they find her, he's fucked.
Yeah I've tried thinking of a variety of scenarios, but nothing I have come up with explains or justifies his behavior.

- If they fought and she wandered off then why didn't he report her missing? Why won't he help them find her by telling them where they parted ways?

- If they split up and she went with a friend or something then why wouldn't he tell the police who she was with?

- If they broke up why would she let him take her van? Even if she didn't like driving it you aren't going to let your recent ex take your car. It also wouldn't explain his refusal to tell the police where they parted ways. It also doesn't explain why no one has seen her or heard from her.

- If there was some kind of accident and she fell why would his first instinct be to not try and get her medical attention and just immediately leave the area and lawyer up?

- If she had some kind of medical emergency why not get her help? Why leave her behind and stay silent? Why hide it? If it wasn't your fault then you are in the clear. It's a tragic accident.

Nothing I can think of explains any of this. No scenario I can come up with has this guy not being guilty of at least something.

Usagi

Oct 25, 2017
Other than that one poster that people keep quoting non-stop as if they speak for the entire thread, who exactly is saying that we know, for sure in a legal fashion, a crime was committed? Most, including the person you quoted, is saying the very obvious and what pretty much any investigator will tell you as well, that, the fiance is acting so suspicious and in such preservation mode that the reasonable conclusion is that Gabby is likely dead.

the fiance is a piece of shit, though at this point, not a proven criminal. Yes, this is true. Not sure why people like yourself need to keep harping on that and acting like it's not the most popular opinion in this thread.

You really need to read the whole thread because there's a lot of users instantly saying the boyfriend did it, especially on the first page.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
exactly, and there's a defense force on here that says he should.
Like anything else, there's a defense force for anything.
He has a lawyer advising him not to talk. Is it so wrong thinking maybe he should listen to his lawyer? Jail has plenty of "not guilty" people in it.

Me personally I'd talk if I didn't contribute to this in any way, but her van showing up at his house leads me to believe he abandoned her at best.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The tangent about the domestic abuse call had nothing to do with why I'm annoyed. Laundrie has received more airtime here than Petito because he is a potential murderer and is the one who is decidedly not missing, naturally, but there have also been some really wild takes to explain how he could be innocent and Petito is just totes fine, random invocations of ACAB, and the tried and true worry that the court of public opinion will take another innocent man.

All the while some 20-something year old woman is missing in the wilderness.

Like, on a forum where we've had threads where people admitted "I could've been an incel too" with no hint of tact, the fact that there is no shortage of dudes who are more offended with the speculation that she may have, at the least, been murdered by abandonment than, you know, the fact that she is up and gone, is annoying, but I guess in the grand scheme not surprising.
I fully agree that this thread is littered with that kind of bullishit and it is not surprising at all.

Thanks for the response Nepenthe, apologies if I read your post the wrong way. I got extremely triggered by some of the earlier posts and I've let that cloud me quite a bit and taken this further than it need to go. Going to put the thread on ignore for a while.

If you can't see why people are upset that we have been derailed by whether or not Men are also victims, I don't know what to tell you.
Every post you have made to me has been dismissive and misrepresentative of my points and reasons for posting and I do not wish to speak with you again, but you are right at this point I do need to stop.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
exactly, and there's a defense force on here that says he should.
Like anything else, there's a defense force for anything.

him staying quiet is abhorrent and inhumane; I don't think anyone is denying that in this thread.

What some people are saying is that him staying quiet is probably the best thing for him personally (assuming he killed her or knows where her body is). It sucks, but that's how the law works.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Picture of their tent at the press conference, I wish they would tell us if that is missing also. I'm guessing it must be missing.

There are women of color missing in every major city in the country that don't get this kind of response. There are so many layers to this story, and I sure as fuck hope she's alive and physically well somewhere, but man...

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, Gabby getting arrested for assault was probably one of the least bad scenarios at this point. It means she'd probably be alive today because at that point her parents likely would have intervened.

Getting her arrested might have saved her life from whatever happened afterward.
Then blame the cops for not making that decision.

Or blame Brian for belittling Gabby's ambition and calling her vlog a failure which set her off.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
You really need to read the whole thread because there's a lot of users instantly saying the boyfriend did it, especially on the first page.
Yeah I'll say it too. The boyfriend did it. I don't think you read what I said or was arguing against. Or even what that conversation was about.

Edit: to clarify, I was arguing with said poster that most people in the thread were not saying that Brian should be locked up in jail for a crime RIGHT NOW. It was like maybe one or two people in the whole thread saying that. Just that I think he's guilty. Which I do. Shrug.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Like Persephone (and I think a couple other posters) have been saying, empathy for women is not a strong suit of resetera. But this thread is still more extreme than I thought I would see.

I lurk a lot but I've still been pretty disappointed in the tone of quite a few responses. I have a daughter but I'm also pretty empathetic by nature and I can't imagine the anguish Gabby's parents are going through.

BL not talking AT ALL makes me very worried for Gabby's safety. I get it, don't talk to the cops, but if she's alive and well why the deafening silence?

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
My guess:
95% He is directly responsible for her death (murder, abandoning her in a location where she would likely die)
4.99% Accidental death where he is involved but looks guilty
0.01% She's alive somewhere

His behavior makes no sense if he believes that she's alive.
Don't necessarily agree with the weightings given what little information we have, but yeah from most likely scenario to least likely, this is where I'm at.

"Accidental death" encompassing scenarios like physical altercation gone wrong, tripped and fell to her death, self-harm, etc. But going off statistics alone, "he killed her" is the most probable scenario.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've tried thinking of a variety of scenarios, but nothing I have come up with explains or justifies his behavior.

- If they fought and she wandered off then why didn't he report her missing? Why won't he help them find her by telling them where they parted ways?

- If they split up and she went with a friend or something then why wouldn't he tell the police who she was with?

- If they broke up why would she let him take her van? Even if she didn't like driving it you aren't going to let your recent ex take your car. It also wouldn't explain his refusal to tell the police where they parted ways. It also doesn't explain why no one has seen her or heard from her.

- If there was some kind of accident and she fell why would his first instinct be to not try and get her medical attention and just immediately leave the area and lawyer up?

- If she had some kind of medical emergency why not get her help? Why leave her behind and stay silent? Why hide it? If it wasn't your fault then you are in the clear. It's a tragic accident.

Nothing I can think of explains any of this. No scenario I can come up with has this guy not being guilty of at least something.

Those are similar to what I was thinking as well. The only variant I can think of is an accident that was so bad it was immediately obvious that no medical attention could save her. In any case, he knows her fate. A very slim chance that there was absolutely nothing he could have done to help.

bigf00t

Jul 9, 2018
So what if they stumbled on a drug deal gone wrong out in the desert, perhaps with those two women who were also murdered? Brian is simply worried that if he says anything, the cartels will hurt his family. Abby didn't make it out, and Brian barely escaped with a big suitcase full of cash that he found. I've seen it happen before, in a movie.

Nah, he's guilty.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017

this is exactly where I am. And it is the most reasonable explanation for his actions. He knows what happened and therefore is not saying a word until/if they find her and charge him. It is in his best interest in that scenario.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Those are similar to what I was thinking as well. The only variant I can think of is an accident that was so bad it was immediately obvious that no medical attention could save her. In any case, he knows her fate. A very slim chance that there was absolutely nothing he could have done to help.

If I was in the woods with my future wife, and something happened that killed her, she was stone dead no odds of survival, I would still be bringing her body home and frankly, probably frantically trying to get to a hospital even though I know she's dead.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
So what if they stumbled on a drug deal gone wrong out in the desert, perhaps with those two women who were also murdered? Brian is simply worried that if he says anything, the cartels will hurt his family. Abby didn't make it out, and Brian barely escaped with a big suitcase full of cash that he found. I've seen it happen before, in a movie.

Nah, he's guilty.
You had me at the beginning, not going to lie.

OP
OP
nilbog

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Brian was incredibly helpful to the cops in that footage huh? So much so, they were fist bumping like buddies and laughing at the end.

Now? Complete and utter silence. Chilling AF.

Oct 25, 2017
If I was in the woods with my future wife, and something happened that killed her, she was stone dead no odds of survival, I would still be bringing her body home and frankly, probably frantically trying to get to a hospital even though I know she's dead.

I would too, but from the body cam video and him moving her stuff into storage mid trip, I don't think they had that kind of relationship.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
it's incredibly sad and hard not to notice.

hope she somehow turns up ok but damn.
It's partly the reason I'm rolling my eyes at accusations that some people aren't taking this seriously. One chick went missing from my university and was never found. The police don't give a damn when you're a person of color.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
It makes me wonder if they know for sure it wasn't her or that the text wasn't sent from there. Or maybe the boyfriend did tell them where to look for her?

Because it just seems weird to not at least look into it it even if the mother has her suspicions.

With it specifically giving Yosemite as the location, there's no doubt that they're definitely looking into it. And if her phone was there, then most certainly she would have been too? Big coincidence that it happens just happens to be another National Park otherwise.

Assuming the post she made on Instagram on the 25th was uploaded the same day (don't know as she didn't share location), then we know she was still in Utah at that time. So anytime between then and the 30th, she could have wound up in Yosemite, which at only 14 hours away isn't implausible.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I guess at some point I'm wondering if there's a point to this thread continuing to exist. Like clearly this is becoming news, I get why there's a thread, but it doesn't feel like this is really serving a good purpose. I've mostly just been lurking, but it just feels like the discussion is endlessly circling in a way that gets people heated over both actual posts and their feelings on posts in aggregate.

Whole's thing's fucked up and at the very very least his silence is completely morally abhorrent regardless of the specifics on what actually happened. But because of that silence, until more details come out... what can really happen here except wild speculation that keeps bordering on internet detective work/conspiracy theories, lots of arguing over that speculation in a way that just seems stressful rather than a worthwhile conversation, and now thanks to that video we're bringing in armchair analysis of their mental illnesses and potential abuse as well?

That's not to say that there's been 0 reasonable or thought out discussion but when some of the more reasonable discussion is still effectively framing this as "true crime in progress", I'm not sure that's great either.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I would too, but from the body cam video and him moving her stuff into storage mid trip, I don't think they had that kind of relationship.
apparently he was moving her stuff *out* of storage and into his parent's house, allegedly to save on the cost of renting the unit (how that squares with the cost of flying to florida and back in the middle of their trip, idk. How long were they planning on living out of the van?)

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
There are women of color missing in every major city in the country that don't get this kind of response. There are so many layers to this story, and I sure as fuck hope she's alive and physically well somewhere, but man...
Cue footage from the future true crime doc showing white cops saying "She looked like she could be my daughter, so I worked extra hard."

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I guess at some point I'm wondering if there's a point to this thread continuing to exist. Like clearly this is becoming news, I get why there's a thread, but it doesn't feel like this is really serving a good purpose. I've mostly just been lurking, but it just feels like the discussion is endlessly circling in a way that gets people heated over both actual posts and their feelings on posts in aggregate.

Whole's thing's fucked up and at the very very least his silence is completely morally abhorrent regardless of the specifics on what actually happened. But because of that silence, until more details come out... what can really happen here except wild speculation that keeps bordering on internet detective work/conspiracy theories, lots of arguing over that speculation in a way that just seems stressful rather than a worthwhile conversation, and now thanks to that video we're bringing in armchair analysis of their mental illnesses and potential abuse as well?

That's not to say that there's been 0 reasonable or thought out discussion but when some of the more reasonable discussion is still effectively framing this as "true crime in progress", I'm not sure that's great either.
You're basically arguing against like the majority of threads on era to not exist. There is a lot of speculation and theories going on which is fine.

People will lose interest if there is no news, and gain interest if there is more news. Since it's an active news story, I see no reason it would need to be locked or something. I agree there is a lot of hostility, because it's very clear there are some strong opinions and disagreements in this thread.

I would suggest reporting posts to a mod if you think people are going too far.

Oct 25, 2017
apparently he was moving her stuff *out* of storage and into his parent's house, allegedly to save on the cost of renting the unit (how that squares with the cost of flying to florida and back in the middle of their trip, idk. How long were they planning on living out of the van?)

Oh...That's weird, but makes some sense. Those units can be $100 a month, so if they were committed to a vlog about "van life", no point putting off the inevitable.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Not sure if this is true or not because I didn't look it up myself, but, I saw some people saying a room at the hotel they are figured to have stayed at is like close to $300 a night. So her staying for 3 nights would almost be a grand.

It's just a really weird part of the story, that, likely doesn't mean much about what happened to Gabby, it's still weird though.

The only thing I can figure is, they got caught storing something they weren't supposed to, OR, maybe they never paid the bills. So the storage place said move your shit out right now or we're tossing it. So Brian rushed to move the stuff out.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
At the the very least he has chosen to be a certified asshole monster that doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt or defense of any sort, especially from strangers on the internet. He burned those bridges on purpose, don't build them back up for your own fun or to make some asinine point.
I dont think he cares about what others will think about it... hes probably 110% in survival mode, he just care about one and one thing only, not spending the rest of his life on Jail. He doesn't care about his fiancee cause hes sure af that she will not appear again.

Like others said, seeing that its very likely that either he murdered her, or have anything to do with her death, his lawyer is being smart about it coaching him on just not talking to anyone.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I can't understand how so many of you think it is okay to be so dismissive here. How did you even think this comment was okay?
It's been super odd to read as I've been lurking this thread. I get what you've been saying, yet every other post has someone trying to paint you with this broad brush due to lack of context on how the entire point was even brought up to begin with. I think your overall opinions have been in line with most regarding his guilt. That said, communication in general hasn't been great in this topic with everyone talking past each other and making passive aggressive barbs about the community as a whole, but it is what it is, I guess.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
One quick, potentially silly question -

Have they addressed if they can charge him with theft of the van, as it's allegedly hers?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I fully agree that this thread is littered with that kind of bullishit and it is not surprising at all.

Thanks for the response Nepenthe, apologies if I read your post the wrong way. I got extremely triggered by some of the earlier posts and I've let that cloud me quite a bit and taken this further than it need to go. Going to put the thread on ignore for a while.
No problem at all. I suppose I came in at an inconvenient time with my indignant attitude. xP This thread is frustrating though.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Not sure if this is true or not because I didn't look it up myself, but, I saw some people saying a room at the hotel they are figured to have stayed at is like close to $300 a night. So her staying for 3 nights would almost be a grand.

It's just a really weird part of the story, that, likely doesn't mean much about what happened to Gabby, it's still weird though.
It's what Gabby told her Mom.

Being that it makes no sense, and that Gabby did not tell her parents about the DV incident.

It's probably a cover story, to explain why she was left alone in a hotel. Real story being Brian went home because the DV incident.

He returned either because they reconciled, or agreed to continue the trip due to it being part of the van life/blog/insta influencer thing.

Just a guess obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.