• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
The situation here in this thread is dicey, and even thought I'm leaning towards the boyfriend doing something but,

this post is the worst advice I've heard. Like could you look a black person in the eye and say this shit?

The point is if he has information that could save another person's fucking life, he needs to share it or have his lawyer share it. That's it.

No. You should never, ever under any circumstances talk directly to the police, except, possibly in an emergency situation where another person's life is at stake. It's not hard to understand.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah, I'm on the "girl died due to dumb Instagram stunt, possibly while under the influence" side.
How does he not report her death as an accident then? He just drives home without saying a word to anyone? Not saying her killed her but if I were investigating this missing persons case, I'd be looking at it more with an angle of a possible homicide with the boyfriend being the prime suspect.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This feels like the part of that documentary on Netflix awhile back where a father killed his wife and two girls and then pretended not to know anything, the police go to the neighbour with the security cameras the next day, and as soon as the murderer leaves the room the neighbor turns to the police and goes "so he did it, right? He's being super weird."

Like, great job not looking guilty bucko.

Oct 30, 2017
This feels like the part of that documentary on Netflix awhile back where a father killed his wife and two girls and then pretended not to know anything, the police go to the neighbour with the security cameras the next day, and as soon as the murderer leaves the room the neighbor turns to the police and goes "so he did it, right? He's being super weird."

Like, great job not looking guilty bucko.
Chris Watts? Yeah that dude is a heartless sociopath.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
How does he not report her death as an accident then? He just drives home without saying a word to anyone? Not saying her killed her but if I were investigating this missing persons case, I'd be looking at it more with an angle of a possible homicide with the boyfriend being the prime suspect.

You never know how people deal with sudden tragedy. I'm reminded of the scene in Hereditary with the son. Just full on dissociation. But this is all speculation.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The point is if he has information that could save another person's fucking life, he needs to share it or have his lawyer share it. That's it.

No. You should never, ever under any circumstances talk directly to the police, except, possibly in an emergency situation where another person's life is at stake. It's not hard to understand.

I can work with this at least. You gotta say the quiet part loud. We live in times where common sense isn't so common anymore.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Chris Watts? Yeah that dude is a heartless sociopath.

Yeah that's the one. I don't think the cops ever looked elsewhere. Super evil and yet somehow thought no one would suspect him at all. I think the policewoman interviewing him at one point even outright told him the lie detector test wasn't a good idea all things considered.

Dec 4, 2017
If they were both tripping balls, tried to pull some dumb "faith hold" shit, she slipped out of his hands and bashed herself on rocks, he's on the hook for some sort of "criminal negligence resulting in death" charge.

Oct 27, 2017
In court you can't legally use hiring a lawyer as a way to argue guilt of a crime, the same way you cant argue someone is guilty because they refused to speak to the police. Its in your right to do so so they have to find other evidence (like the body of the person you supposedly murdered, a witness, etc).

Im not doubting that its possible he could have killed her but lets stop pretending like this dude hiring a lawyer after some bad shit happened is a smoking gun, its really naive and just not how things work
We're not in court. We're not a jury.

People are allowed to express opinions and that opinion is "His actions are suspicious as fuck".

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they were both tripping balls, tried to pull some dumb "faith hold" shit, she slipped out of his hands and bashed herself on rocks, he's on the hook for some sort of "criminal negligence resulting in death" charge.

It's been three weeks, possibly even longer if the mom's fears are true. The longer he waits the worse things for be for him if and when he body is found. Hopefully his lawyer, if they're halfway decent, is telling him all of this.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
Sort of reminds me of the entwistle murder case. Neil entwistle "finds" his wife and baby dead and what does he do? Fly back home to England.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Honestly I'm hoping its this

Maybe she wanted to run away or something.

Tbh while that would be a best case scenario the reality is that in just about every case like this or at least the beginning of them "voluntary disappearance" is like slang for "we're lazy ass cops and this is probably gonna be a hard case so uggh". I say that because they throw it out there so often regardless of the missing person's personality and history. It's crucial to start investigations immediately in these situations and so many cases have been completely fucked up by authorities' apathy.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a non-zero chance he just left her there, possibly by her direction (via argument or stunt), drove home, found out she hadn't contacted her family, and then lawyered up.

Maybe I'm just hoping and that this is all a stunt or they find her. Because otherwise this doesn't end well. Regardless he's going to take the stance, "She was alive when I left her" based on the wording in that statement.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
In this day and age, being vloggers especially, how is there not a thick ass "paper trail" leading somewhere.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Almost sounds like he told his parents he left her in that park somewhere.

This sounds like the sort of statement you put out when you absolutely know what happened but want to be able to claim later that maybe you don't.

I really hope this is a stunt of some type, because that's the only way I see this ending without tragedy.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh while that would be a best case scenario the reality is that in just about every case like this or at least the beginning of them "voluntary disappearance" is like slang for "we're lazy ass cops and this is probably gonna be a hard case so uggh". I say that because they throw it out there so often regardless of the missing person's personality and history. It's crucial to start investigations immediately in these situations and so many cases have been completely fucked up by authorities' apathy.

Well, in this case:

1.) Story has gone viral.

2.) They have a clear as day suspect already

3.) Missing person is a young conventionally attractive white woman

So I don't think we have to worry about the cops half-assing it here. The whole country is watching them. Though of course that just brings up other ways they might fuck this up, but let's wait and see...

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's the one. I don't think the cops ever looked elsewhere. Super evil and yet somehow thought no one would suspect him at all. I think the policewoman interviewing him at one point even outright told him the lie detector test wasn't a good idea all things considered.
A YouTube channel broke down the interrogation of Chris Watts

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Getting a lawyer because someone is missing is a bit fishy in my eyes.
If my sister goes missing while traveling with her boyfriend and he lawyers up and refuses to talk to us, it's kinda hard to assume he just doesn't know where she is.
Refusing to talk to her family implies some bad things, to me. At the very least, it implies that something bad likely happened to her, which makes not talking cruel.

That's the worst part isn't it? I feel for the family and not talking directly to them, giving them comfort, if he is innocent, is indeed cruel. Now if he did something then yeah, his lawyering up makes sense. The fear of the unknown is extremely, insanely difficult to tackle properly.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
After reading the Daily Beast article and seeing the update with the statement from Laundrie's lawyer, the best case scenario is that he was the last person to see her alive, that she disappeared/went off the grid shortly after they parted ways, and that she has found her way back to civilization or a safe space with other travelers.

If I broke up with my (public-facing) gf on a road trip I wouldn't be ecstatic about blasting it all over social media, nor would I run whining to her family right away. If I found out a week later that she hadn't checked in with anyone (and it is a question of how he "found out"), if I wasn't completely hysterical the rational part of my mind would tell me, "everyone is going to blame me."

However,

Daily Beast said:
Asked for his opinion of Laundrie, Joe Petito told The Daily Beast, "I've got thoughts about the guy, but I can't share them… I would love to say more, but I can't."

This says that her family was explicitly instructed to not make public statements about him by investigators, which likely means that he's a person of interest in an ongoing investigation.

She was active on social media and in semi-daily communication with her friends/family during the road trip. The sudden stop suggests mechanical failure/dead battery, a trip to a deadzone, or debilitating injury. Sadly, finding her injured from a fall would not rule out foul play, but there's almost no way you could prove it in court unless there was forensic evidence of a struggle beforehand.

If he clams up there isn't much the cops have to go on. He doesn't have to present an affirmative defense.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Who did the van belong too? I saw on the blog it was what they chose to travel in together- but it doesn't state if it was a joint purchase or belonged to just one. No point here, just curious.

Wish for the best for her, but expecting the worst.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
There are 2 possibilities here with what we know so far. 1) He killed her intentionally. 2) She died accidentally in a way that law enforcement would be able to pin him for killing her.

Those are the only reasons for the boyfriend's handling of this situation in my eyes. There is less than a 1% chance that he doesn't know about her wellbeing or whereabouts.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
There are 2 possibilities here with what we know so far. 1) He killed her intentionally. 2) She died accidentally in a way that law enforcement would be able to pin him for killing her.

Those are the only reasons for the boyfriend's handling of this situation in my eyes. There is less than a 1% chance that he doesn't know about her wellbeing or whereabouts.

Yup he's the last known person to see her alive. He obviously has to know at least the last known location he saw her. Whether it's at the park or what we don't know yet.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
She was active on social media and in semi-daily communication with her friends/family during the road trip. The sudden stop suggests mechanical failure/dead battery, a trip to a deadzone, or debilitating injury. Sadly, finding her injured from a fall would not rule out foul play, but there's almost no way you could prove it in court unless there was forensic evidence of a struggle beforehand.

If he clams up there isn't much the cops have to go on. He doesn't have to present an affirmative defense.

The whole situation is so bizarre. Like, if he killed her by pushing her off a cliff, you would think he would immediately report that and say it was a horrible accident.

To me, his behavior (or as much of it as we know) is somewhat consistent with how people act when they are all doing something illegal or extremely stupid and someone accidentally gets hurt or dies in the process.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After reading the Daily Beast article and seeing the update with the statement from Laundrie's lawyer, the best case scenario is that he was the last person to see her alive, that she disappeared/went off the grid shortly after they parted ways, and that she has found her way back to civilization or a safe space with other travelers.

If I broke up with my (public-facing) gf on a road trip I wouldn't be ecstatic about blasting it all over social media, nor would I run whining to her family right away. If I found out a week later that she hadn't checked in with anyone (and it is a question of how he "found out"), if I wasn't completely hysterical the rational part of my mind would tell me, "everyone is going to blame me."

However,

This says that her family was explicitly instructed to not make public statements about him by investigators, which likely means that he's a person of interest in an ongoing investigation.

This is the best post here. I hate using "strange behavior" as proof of guilt especially because the best case scenario you posit isn't even super farfetched.
Especially this:

Oct 25, 2017
This YouTube channel has some good videos -- I think the Chris Watts case was one of the first ones they did.

I really dont like this channel's style of narration, it feels too much like the guy is saying definitive things ("An innocent person would do X instead of Y") because he's speaking on cases that are already solved. It'd be another matter if he just said "Perhaps (Name of criminal) did XYZ because of what we learn later"

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even come up with a possible scenario where this guy is innocent of any wrongdoing and carried out the series of actions he did. Like... anyone? I got nothing

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Let's hear it. Assuming the cops haven't had any hits on bank activity, or cell phone activity. AND remember, she's in her early 20's and has been a nomad. I could see someone middle aged person planning to disappear, stocking away cash, getting fake ID or whatever, but I don't see that being a possibility in her situation.
Well a lot of them revolve around them breaking up and her leaving on her own. I'm not saying it's the most plausible but it's certainly within the realm of possibility she left on her own and either got hurt somewhere or is hiding our because she didn't want

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even come up with a possible scenario where this guy is innocent of any wrongdoing and carried out the series of actions he did. Like... anyone? I got nothing
They broke up
He went home, she stayed.
She dies/gets hurt/takes off after he's gone.
He finds out she's missing->likely last to see her alive->likely to be suspect one->gets lawyer

Dec 4, 2017
They broke up
He finds out she's missing->likely last to see her alive->likely to be suspect one->gets lawyer
Even if that were true, dumping her ass in the middle of mountain lion/bear country is pretty much attempted murder. He could've had the minimum courtesy to drop her off at some sort of public venue, like a gas station.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
They broke up

That's probably the most cruel thing to do if he knows she's alive or had no reason to suspect she was dead. And if she just took off, he could lay out his truth which could easily show she contacted someone else etc through her phone records after he last saw her.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
They broke up
This makes a sick sort of sense if true (or something like it), and would also make this guy a complete sociopath.

Posters saying things like, "He could've at least dropped her off at ___!" are 100% correct, but also discount the emotions at play—no one is in their right mind in the heat of an argument, doubly so if the guy had any emotional/psychological issues. This isn't an excuse but rather the fact of the matter. It's possible their vlog was highly curated and the couple was at odds for some time. Perhaps the guy did say, "Fuck this," and left the girl alone to fend for herself. That would probably come with criminal charges, and rightfully so.

Last edited:

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Even if that were true, dumping her ass in the middle of mountain lion/bear country is pretty much attempted murder. He could've had the minimum courtesy to drop her off at some sort of public venue, like a gas station.

As horrible as it sounds, generally there is no duty to render aid (unless there is a specific law on the books). You can watch someone fall and die and walk away potentially with no criminal liability.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Hoping everyone is wrong and she's still alive from some crazy circumstances. A guy I used to work with disappeared after he quit. He was a pretty well known guy in the game industry. All of his shit like his wallet, keys and phone were left behind at his house. Missing reports were made and everyone assumed the worst. Turns out he was just fine. He went on a 3 week off the grid trip in the desert and never told anyone.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As horrible as it sounds, generally there is no duty to render aid (unless there is a specific law on the books). You can watch someone fall and die and walk away potentially with no criminal liability.

Criminal, yes. But you can bet your ass her parents will sue him for wrongful death.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The whole situation is so bizarre. Like, if he killed her by pushing her off a cliff, you would think he would immediately report that and say it was a horrible accident.

To me, his behavior (or as much of it as we know) is somewhat consistent with how people act when they are all doing something illegal or extremely stupid and someone accidentally gets hurt or dies in the process.

To prove murder 1, the cops need evidence that a crime has been committed, evidence of opportunity, and evidence of intent. If he is innocent, and he hypothetically saw her fall off a cliffside after they had an argument, providing that information to the cops gives them a) the body, b) motive, and c) rough time of death. And the slim possibility they turn any evidence of them being physically close, into suggestions of foul play.

It's a cold-hearted calculation, but it's in his rational self interest to say nothing and hope they find nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
Well a lot of them revolve around them breaking up and her leaving on her own. I'm not saying it's the most plausible but it's certainly within the realm of possibility she left on her own and either got hurt somewhere or is hiding our because she didn't want

That's possible, but if they just broke up, and she left...why wouldn't he assume that's she's still alive somewhere and help with the search? It's obvious, that no matter what, he knows she's not alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.