• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Nah this is a fuckin bridge too far. I was on the edge with the Imagine Dragons thread, and then the defense of load and reload in the bob rock thread, but this is it. This is the moment I lose it. Sammy Hagar should have only ever started a tequila company and stayed out of music.

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
yeah Van Hagar tunes are a bit cornier but man the band was so much better live. Roth can never hit his notes live and totally forgets the lyrics

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
Van Hagar > Van Roth
Definitely the minority but I fully support this statement.

First, let's set the record straight. I grew up with Hagar, and fell in love with VH through that iteration. I didn't come to appreciate the Roth catalogue outside of 1984 until I was in my 20s.

Roth was more dynamic, interesting, original, and timeless than Hagar. Full stop. His creative, off-beat melodies fit with Ed and Al pre 5150 like a glove. It was a magical pairing culminating in 1984, a record that stands alone.

All of that established, Dave lost his mind post 1984 and Ed wanted to go in a very different direction with keyboards and less complex melodic sounds. It was never going to work with Dave. Sammy stepped in and knocked it out of the park given where Ed was at the time. He brought a different kind of energy and was able to hit notes Dave could not (as an aside, Dave actually has more range than Sammy as he can go much lower).

yeah Van Hagar tunes are a bit cornier but man the band was so much better live. Roth can never hit his notes live and totally forgets the lyrics

Consistently, I largely agree. You didn't get an off night with Sammy. But I will say that if you listen to early VH boots around '80-'82 and carch the right show, the swagger, attitude, and chops are unmatched.

In a perfect world, everything stays the same but instead of Cherone in '96 we get a full album of Dave to follow up on the Greatest Hits tunes (Me Wise Magic and Can't Get This Stuff No More). Those two tracks are massively underated. Humans Being era Ed weak going places and we never got to see it fully play out.

Plus in this world, Ed isn't rejected with VHIII and eventually reunites with Sammy again in 2004. A sober Ed goes on to write a full album or two with Sammy to cap off the career.

What could have been.

I love EVH, but how he treated Michael Anthony was gross

It's forever an undeniable blemish. Mike was the glue and his character is unassailable. We got to hear VH without Mike. It was missing it's soul. A Different Kind of Truth, indeed.

Deleted member 34169

User requested account closure
Nov 23, 2017
First, let's set the record straight. Roth was more dynamic, interesting, original, and timeless than Hagar. Full stop. His creative, off-beat melodies fit with Ed and Al pre 5150 like a glove. It was a magical pairing culminating in 1984, a record that stands alone.

All of that established, Dave lost his mind post 1984 and Ed wanted to go in a very different direction with keyboards and less complex melodic sounds. It was never going to work with Dave. Sammy stepped in and knocked it out of the park given where Ed was at the time. He brought a different kind of energy and was able to hit notes Dave could not (As an aside, Dave actually has more range than Sammy as he can go much lower).

Consistently, I largely agree. You didn't get an off night with Sammy. But I will say that if you listen to early VH boots around '80-'82 and carch the right show, the swagger, attitude, and chops are unmatched.

In a perfect world, everything stays the same but instead of Cherone in '96 we get a full album of Dave to follow up on the Greatest Hits tunes (Me Wise Magic and Can't Get This Stuff No More). Those two tracks are massively underated. Humans Being era Ed weak going places and we never got to see it fully play out.

Plus in this world, Ed isn't rejected with VHIII and eventually reunites with Sammy again in 2004. A sober Ed goes on to write a full album or two with Sammy to cap off the career.

What could have been.

It's forever an undeniable blemish. Mike was the glue and his character is unassailable. We got to hear VH without Mike. It was missing it's soul. A Different Kind of Truth, indeed.
I think, for me at least, the fact that my first real introduction to VH was when Hagar was frontman is why I've felt that way. I had heard Jump, Running with the Devil, etc. when I was younger but those songs came on the radio when I was 7 and younger. By the time Right Now came out I was about 15 and I just had a much bigger attachment to Sammy than Dave. When I was younger I always thought Dave was the goofy I ain't got nobody/California Girls guy and was shocked when I found out he was the original VH frontman.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
The Sammy era VH just feels more "rock" than Roth, to me. I generally prefer Sammy era.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
There's no denying that Sammy was/is a way better singer than DLR. DLR had the stage and the command of the crowd. He was inferior in musical talent.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I too prefer Roth. Non Roth songs just don't sound like Van Halen to me. But I get it. That's because I have limited knowledge of Van Halen.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Nah this is a fuckin bridge too far. I was on the edge with the Imagine Dragons thread, and then the defense of load and reload in the bob rock thread, but this is it. This is the moment I lose it. Sammy Hagar should have only ever started a tequila company and stayed out of music.
ok then...

BTW to everyone else... Eddies long solo is right after this song. It's awesome

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked both to be honest. Gary Charone was a hard "no" but that might not even be his fault, Van Halen III was just pure garbage.

Oct 25, 2017
I love EVH, but how he treated Michael Anthony was gross
Zak Wylde on Eddie at Dimebag Darrell's funeral:

Having to bury his partner in crime was tough enough, but Wylde also had to contend with the bizarre behavior of one of his guitar heroes, Eddie Van Halen, at Dimebag's funeral and memorial service. "I don't know what the hell happened to Ed," he lamented. "He hasn't just gone off the deep end — he's living in Atlantis! I couldn't get in a word without being interrupted by him. If I mentioned God, he'd say, 'There is no God or Jesus, only yes or no.' It was like he thought the whole thing was about him. He wasn't thinking about Dime, or even Vinnie and Dime's old lady, Rita, for that matter. He did put his original black-and-yellow guitar in the coffin with Dime, though. That was cool."

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Mikey was always so important to the band.

DLR made awesome records but in concert he was frequently up in his own ego that he forgot to perform.

Hagar made awesome records and gave awesome performances. There were a few concerts I saw him in where he looked tired and didn't bounce around the stage but at least he never sang poorly.

I've always wondered and can't seem to find an answer. I know EVH played lead and rhythm parts but in some songs it sounds like two distinct guitars playing. Surely he could have recorded one track and with it playing he plays the other. But how do they do that in concert? Sammy can play well but there's a lot of EVH stuff he can't seemingly handle.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Live yes, Albums though? That's super hard because Roth records were amazing. Totally different sounds and I love them both. I'd say Roth VH has aged better.