• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
TheSixthAxis - 6/10

"Much like its early 20th century setting, Vampyr feels like a bit of a throwback to a past age of action RPGs. In a time where the genre is evolving Vampyr holds on to past ideas for much of its tenure, and it doesn't have a story strong enough to overcome that fact. The world itself is ripe for lots of stories to be told within, with Dontnod having done a good job with world building, but while Vampyr isn't a bad game, nor is it as great as it could be."
Lol as expected. Reviewers expecting this game to be an action RPG through and through.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
So what kind of technical issues does the game have? Because every review is mentioning that as "-".

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got to say my lord I really enjoyed the social elements in this game. The way they work in tandem with the experience but also the fact that after you lose a district sometimes little stories are offered there hinting at what may have happened to some of the people is so good.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
At last, can finally post my thoughts..

Hardcore Gamer - 4/5

Some brief technical issues and a somewhat awkward clash of visual art-styles aside, really enjoyed this game. And as I wrote in my review, I wouldn't blame Dontnod if they never made a sequel, the game does a great job at standing on its own and I was more than satisfied with the way the story/narrative ended. For as contrasting its investigative work and Action RPG combat is, there's a nice middle-ground here. The soundtrack is superb, the atmosphere is well-executed and above all else, there are so many nice little details and quality-of-life inclusions that make the experience easier to digest from a gameplay/mechanical stand-point.

Now I'm off to read other writers'/critics' thoughts because by 'eck, on first glance, this game is looking rather split.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
ouch at some of the reviews. luckily I don't care about they issues they complain about. still sounds like my kind of jank.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
As expected, it's a little divisive. 2 out of the first batch of reviews calling the story "dull" doesn't inspire confidence. But it sure looks good.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Rated it a Buy for ACG

Loved it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lidwgHSddIQ

Some small issues but nothing that really impacted its delivery

Called it :d

Oh yeah, definitely, I expect the game to have very mediocre reviews, but for me it's already one of the best games I've played this year.

I imagine some people like Karak are gonna review it fairly well, but more mainstream peeps are gonna slap the mediocre sticker on it and move on.

It's a shame only selected few will be able to appreciate this game purely for what it is and not what [in their eyes] it should be.

midfalutin

Oct 25, 2017
I gave it a 5/10 for Slant Magazine.

Rather than going for size in the character roster, Dontnod might have done better to shoot for complexity: Vampyr achieves the intended effect of making people more than just faceless victims, but assigning someone a few sentences of backstory and an acquaintance or two doesn't really convey the sanctity of life.

There's occasional atmosphere to the game's dark, flu-ridden London, but the districts soon blend together until they settle into their existence as a depository for enemies and boxes of inane crafting materials. Vampyr's semi-open world is, frankly, a wretched, tedious exercise that's absent the ambition of the chattier segments.

I do think there are some good ideas in the dialogue-driven parts; it lays the blueprint for an interesting vampire sim, but then it mostly builds a rather bad action RPG instead. The main story isn't great and feels like it suffered from some big cuts during development, honestly, that really screw with pacing and character development; the backstories of all the citizens fare a lot better, but they left me wishing for more depth.

Going into this hoping for the complexity and breadth of choice available in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is a huge mistake and you should definitely temper your expectations if that's what you've been thinking.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds excellent. You probably already touched on this, but what platform did you play it on? What are your impressions of the graphics? Thanks. I should have my copy late this week.

Playstation 4 Pro. The graphics are very good, visual quality and frame rate are not quite up there with the best but I think patches are incoming to fix that.

Twinsen64

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Reviews seem all over the place, but the most important thing here people is most reviews say the story is good and that in this type of game is number 1!

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
My review is now live at Total Gaming Network.

I gave it a 4 out of 5 stars (whole number scale only).

I loved the game but it got knocked a wee bit for the combat that I felt was merely "serviceable." You can tell that the main draw is with the narrative, the setting, and the character interactions so I have no major issues with the combat taking a back seat to any of that. It was mainly dinged for the technical issues that I outlined in the review.

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be trying to run it at 1440p on my 970 and i5-3570k. If it's wonky, I'm figuring I can just get a refund and get it on PS4. Hopefully it's a good PC port.
I really should have gone this route but I really wanted the fancy hat, would have lost it if I refunded it and bought on PS4 after the game was already out and probably not going to be available as DLC immediately.

Fucking love me a good bowler hat.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Was expecting at least 7.5 or 8. It really sucks to see some of the scores. Especially because of technical issues.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I was expecting a solid 7/10, so 73 on Metacritic is about right. 56 minutes left on my download!

rumplestilts

May 30, 2018
Yeah, these reviews seem pretty much exactly like what was anticipated. Thumbs-up, can't wait for my copy to come.

Deleted member 5727

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm encouraged by most of the reviews. I was expecting a 7 average, and that's about where it's landing. Plenty of 8s despite the technical issues. I tend to be more forgiving of technical issues than a lot of reviewers are, and that seems to be the main thing bringing it down.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the reviews are landing exactly where I predicted they would.

I only hope the game sells well, because the developers deserve it. Once the technical issues are smoothed out the game is a(n ever more polished) gem.

Time to start my second play through being an asshole :)

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Reviews are good enough for me.
This genre is always divisive and it was clear that it was going to be criticized by some for not having the polish of a AAA high budget title but at the same time the game seems to be doing many things right with atmosphere, choices, NPCs stories and main plot.
I'm definetly going to pick it up but I think that 40$ is the perfect price for this game so I might wait a bit.

Feb 3, 2018
So I am confused is this an open world game and if so how big are we talking ? I love the setting but still on the fence on this game

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Reviews are pretty much what I expected, no problem with them, but the performance on PS4 really bugs me so far, it's bad even for a modestly budgeted game.