• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I find this idea that you would only do combat because it gives XP to be... weird, frankly. In Souls games, I don't fight enemies for the souls they drop (bosses give better Souls payloads anyway), I fight enemies because, well, I usually have to (but, again, if I really want to avoid particular encounters at some specific moment, for the most part, I can... just like in JRPG when I will occasionally run away from battles, though it's are), because it's a core part of the game, and because it's fun and satisfying. Vampyr's combat is obviously not as good as Souls games and the enemy variety is obviously not as strong, but it's still pretty fun when you understand how the combat system works and use the abilities effectively. It's also important "training" to understand how to use the combat effectively for when you do need to fight mandatory encounters; if you avoided normal enemies too often obviously you will have problems, not due to lack of XP but due to lack of practice in the combat system (just like in Souls and other games). The main source of in-game XP is not the trash mobs, and it doesn't have to be. I don't quite understand this idea that combat encounters are only worth doing for the XP. I have never, ever played a game like that, and would find it really boring to play games like that, myself...

well, speaking for those of us a bit less skilled, all i can say is that i most definitely fight enemies in souls games for the souls they drop, because, without the ability to level up a bit here'n'there, without having to rely solely on souls from fighting bosses, i'd never get anywhere in these games! as is, i've managed to finish all of them :) ...

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a Switch release is planned for 2019 so probably much more people are able to tryout this game.

Jul 5, 2018
Got it on Black Friday and beat it. It was alright. At some points I thought "This is pretty cool I'm kinda into this." Then at other points I thought "Ugh this is getting repetitive."

To me it's pretty much the epitome of a 7 out of 10 game.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
One of the best games of 2018, definitely. My only major gripe is the amount of backtracking you have to do in later chapters to keep all districts healthy, but you can avoid all random combat and just blink through the city like crazy.

Oct 26, 2017
I thought this was one of the worst games of 2018 and caution anybody thinking of spending money on it. If possible, rent first. Entirely ambitious, none of it realized.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I was always sold on the game, but never got around to actually buying it. I liked Remember Me and loved Life is Shit, I mean, Strange. Game arrives tomorrow!

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I want this but I'm not sure with the PS4 pro version. Is the slowdown that bad?

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
The combat doesn't feel as great as a Souls game, that's for sure. It lacks weight for a system designed with stamina management and not a lot of HP between the player and the enemies. But it feels good enough that I got the hang of the tempo of every encounter.

I suspect that a lot of people who didn't like the combat are the type of player who wants to be "good" all the time in games with morality systems, and so they hit a wall with this particular system that was intentionally designed to reflect the dilemma of being a vampire and a doctor. They didn't feed on anybody and were basically gimped the entire them they played.

Yes, it's difficult in the beginning when you've maybe only fed on that Cox asshole. I fed on a decent number of people I thought deserved to die, so I had fun fighting enemies with all the options open to me, and I wasn't dealing with any damage sponges. In fact, combat got real easy halfway through that I tried using all sorts of weapons and skills just to vary things up. Only the last boss proved to be a decent challenge.

Even then, I admit I did get to a point where a lot of the normal encounters just felt rote. I did all the sidequests too, so keeping everyone relatively healthy with medicine was kind of a pain in the back half of the game, having to manually walk all over London and look for some NPCs who take long, winding routes.

It didn't help that the main plot made that very genre fiction decision to dive deep into ~lore~ heading into the climax. A couple of the plot complications also fell flat (
lol the Ascalon Club
), and I did not at all buy the central relationship of the leads, so the resolution for that particular arc did nothing for me. I don't care for the moral implications of any of the endings either being weighted more on the number of people you fed on. I believe most of the NPCs I embraced were bad people, and I kept every district afloat, with most of them healthy, too. So getting the "second to worst" ending didn't sit right with how I saw my version of Jonathan Reid - an empathetic doctor who never failed to make his rounds and consistently provided medicine to whoever needed it, and a vigilante putting an end to the violent, abusive, and cruel.

But considering how easy the combat is despite being underleveled you just don't feel the need to feed on anyone.

I can imagine that even though it's easy enough to dodge enemies, it still must have taken a while to actually kill them when you're constantly underleveled and suffering (what feels like) a damage penalty throughout the entire game. Did you even get to max out any of your special vampire attacks? I fed on 6 or 7 people, and I think I only maxed out two vampire attacks and one ultimate. I guess there's the weapon upgrade system, which I assume is the mechanic to fully optimize on a no-feeding playthrough.

I don't recommend playing it on Story Mode since that removes any of the tension in the one interesting system in the game, and the actual plot isn't really anything to write home about. I guess it would make seeing all the NPC sub-stories easier in that you won't struggle to progress through the game and finish the sidequests with combat encounters, but these stories also don't really develop past unlocking the dialogue options once. Part of why I found a level of investment in becoming familiar with the characters is because I had to make do with level limitations while facing stronger enemies.

Anyway, this game is on my top 10 list for 2018. It's an ambitious AA game with mechanics I've never seen before, solid writing on the periphery, and oh yeah the music in this game is pretty damn good, contributing greatly to the atmosphere. It's worth supporting games like this that lack polish but strive for something new.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
Yeah, thanks for the recap! It glad me a lot when I read there's a release scheduled for Switch in 2019, so I'll be checking it for sure.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The combat doesn't feel as great as a Souls game, that's for sure. It lacks weight for a system designed with stamina management and not a lot of HP between the player and the enemies. But it feels good enough that I got the hang of the tempo of every encounter.

I suspect that a lot of people who didn't like the combat are the type of player who wants to be "good" all the time in games with morality systems, and so they hit a wall with this particular system that was intentionally designed to reflect the dilemma of being a vampire and a doctor. They didn't feed on anybody and were basically gimped the entire them they played.

Yes, it's difficult in the beginning when you've maybe only fed on that Cox asshole. I fed on a decent number of people I thought deserved to die, so I had fun fighting enemies with all the options open to me, and I wasn't dealing with any damage sponges. In fact, combat got real easy halfway through that I tried using all sorts of weapons and skills just to vary things up. Only the last boss proved to be a decent challenge.

Even then, I admit I did get to a point where a lot of the normal encounters just felt rote. I did all the sidequests too, so keeping everyone relatively healthy with medicine was kind of a pain in the back half of the game, having to manually walk all over London and look for some NPCs who take long, winding routes.

It didn't help that the main plot made that very genre fiction decision to dive deep into ~lore~ heading into the climax. A couple of the plot complications also fell flat (
lol the Ascalon Club
), and I did not at all buy the central relationship of the leads, so the resolution for that particular arc did nothing for me. I don't care for the moral implications of any of the endings either being weighted more on the number of people you fed on. I believe most of the NPCs I embraced were bad people, and I kept every district afloat, with most of them healthy, too. So getting the "second to worst" ending didn't sit right with how I saw my version of Jonathan Reid - an empathetic doctor who never failed to make his rounds and consistently provided medicine to whoever needed it, and a vigilante putting an end to the violent, abusive, and cruel.

I can imagine that even though it's easy enough to dodge enemies, it still must have taken a while to actually kill them when you're constantly underleveled and suffering (what feels like) a damage penalty throughout the entire game. Did you even get to max out any of your special vampire attacks? I fed on 6 or 7 people, and I think I only maxed out two vampire attacks and one ultimate. I guess there's the weapon upgrade system, which I assume is the mechanic to fully optimize on a no-feeding playthrough.

I don't recommend playing it on Story Mode since that removes any of the tension in the one interesting system in the game, and the actual plot isn't really anything to write home about. I guess it would make seeing all the NPC sub-stories easier in that you won't struggle to progress through the game and finish the sidequests with combat encounters, but these stories also don't really develop past unlocking the dialogue options once. Part of why I found a level of investment in becoming familiar with the characters is because I had to make do with level limitations while facing stronger enemies.

Anyway, this game is on my top 10 list for 2018. It's an ambitious AA game with mechanics I've never seen before, solid writing on the periphery, and oh yeah the music in this game is pretty damn good, contributing greatly to the atmosphere. It's worth supporting games like this that lack polish but strive for something new.
Well my damage would obviously be lower but at no point did I feel like I was being held back because my powerful attacks would indeed do quite a lot of damage. That tentacle attack was very good at stunning enemies and even more effective when they are close to each other, and a leveled up stake can refill your blood instantly.

I did max out 2 skills I think but that's only because I completely ignored some skills and didn't put any points in them. Additionally I maxed out my weapons and think weapon damage is based on the weapon itself rather than your character level, I can't remember for sure though. But yea I was indeed able to kill enemies quite quickly outside of a few enemies. I think the game is designed around your character being underleveled and not being underleveled just makes it even easier

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't quite stick the landing, but it's a unique take on the Witcher/Mass Effect school of ARPG C&C. We need more games with this kind of subject matter. The quests have you going back and forth through a fairly linear township that keeps getting bigger. So, that's annoying as the game goes on. And it really highlights the limited enemy variety. Spawn points of the same encounters strewn through the town get a bit tedious to deal with over and over. And the combat itself is kind of janky in the first place, on top of stats-based. If your build isn't sufficient, it's going to be more of a slog.

The game gets pretty wild by the end. Delves a bit into eldritch shit.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Sadly, it's one of a select few games I stopped hours into and couldn't pick up again, so I resold it. I had too many issues.

On the plus side, I thought the setting was very unique. You could feel the thick atmosphere when playing. But for some reason I felt the NPCs were a bore to chat with. Mostly bland personalities, very little emoting, and I'm not sure if this was just my version (PS4), but the camera would pop into weird angles when I'd initiate convos. Sometimes it'd show up randomly behind an NPC and not move, sometimes it'd show half of my face and half of the NPC's face and not move, sometimes it'd be zoomed into my face...like what the hell is going on? lol

Movement and controls were fairly janky too and just detracted from my experience. I felt the combat was...okay. I used various moves all the time to spice it up but ultimately it wasn't an aspect of the game that excited me. A lack of fast travel and constant backtracking sealed the deal for me unfortunately.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the game but it would've been improved tenfold without the combat and the need to run everywhere

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool setting but it felt like mostly walking around and talking to people. Especially if you don't plan to eat anyone.

The combat helper break up the whole just walk around and talk to people aspect.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
FWIW, owners of the PS4 disc version of the game that are wary of starting because of the whole XP and underleveled thing have access to an infinite XP glitch that will triviliaze combat and let you role-play to your heart's content. On any difficulty level.

You just need to start a game unpatched and get to the game's first bed rest opportunity. Once at the level up screen, you can use the glitch to unlock as much or as little as you want, save, and patch the game back up.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to both this thread, and Patrick Klepeck talking about it a few months ago, I finally pushed past the opening thirty minutes, and I'm now probably ten-ish hours in, moving past the first major objective upon revisiting the docks in chapter three.

I'm really, really enjoying my time with this. I can't believe I almost passed it up. The character stuff is way way better than it has any right to be.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'am waiting to get this cheap on Steam, I love Dontnod's writing and character work but the combat and gameplay looks kinda weak.

OP
OP
Morrigan

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'll use teacup's thread-bump to post something that came to my mind recently.... how this game, without the vampire/fantasy/supernatural element, could be (if you want it to be/choose to play that way), effectively one of the creepiest, most disturbing serial killer simulator out there, outside of niche/AO/indie titles of course. Remove the vampire element and just make Jonathan a "regular" human with serial killer urges and keep the basic game concepts mostly the same... yeah, I think it'd be quite controversial.
But I think it's actually a good thing that Dontnod achieved; we have been desensitized to vampires in fiction, so much that despite being classic horror, they are now kind of a banal trope, but I think with the presentation of the Embrace mechanic in Vampyr, they have mostly succeeded in going back to the true horror of what vampires are supposed to represent.

I want this but I'm not sure with the PS4 pro version. Is the slowdown that bad?
I wouldn't know, unfortunately. I played on PC and it ran flawlessly, never had the issues shinobi602 described either.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
The world and characters are amazing. As for the combat... endlessly frustrating.

Oct 25, 2017
i've played through the first big interaction with the major club in the west-end, and while I'm still impressed overall (buy this game it's fantastic), it's starting to get a bit repetitive -- the game was at its absolute best in the early hours playing doctor in the hospital before the wider loop became apparent.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Well, as I mentioned in my last post, I did order a copy. I just got my first ending and the Platinum. I did a pacifist run with two key backup saves to handle the pairs of mutually exclusive trophies.

I have some complaints, but overall thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game. You can't do a vampire game and go in expecting it to be 100% original. Vampires are too much of a cliche and a known quantity in fiction. That said, Dontnod managed to carve out a very interesting and well-developed mythology that kept me hooked from beginning to end.

You can trace the game's DNA back to both Remember Me and Life is Strange, yet somehow Vampyr is as different from those games as they were from each other. A pretty impressive feat, IMO.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
So I am currently playing this and still in the beginning. Based on the trophy list it seems you will need 2 playthtoughs were you dedicate yourself of 1: killing everyone, 2: the opposite.

If I would only do one playthrough, would I torpedo my perceived fun by sticking to only one of those extremes?

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
You can do it in one run if you back up your saves at the right time. IIRC, there are only 2 pairs of mutually exclusive trophies, one just after the prologue (mesmerize and embrace dude or mesmerize and let dude go) and then at the end of the game (beginning of chapter 6). For the first it's literally the mesmerize tutorial, so you'll have to do one or the other to continue the game. Backup as soon as you exit the boat, kill the dude, revert, and let the dude go. Then continue on. Killing him and not reverting will ruin the pacifist trophy.

I got the Platinum in one run by creating backup saves at those points. If you go for it, you will HAVE to do a full pacifist run up to the beginning of chapter 6. Make a safety save there, murder almost everyone to get their unique weapons for the relevant collectibles trophy and to cause all districts to fall into chaos, then revert your save back to the beginning of chapter 6 and clear out the game as a pacifist.

If you want to cheese this and are playing the disc version, YT up the infinite XP glitch only possible on version 1.0 of the game (if you're playing on PS4. Can't speak to other versions). Keyboard is required (wired or wireless).

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
You can do it in one run if you back up your saves at the right time. IIRC, there are only 2 pairs of mutually exclusive trophies, one just after the prologue (mesmerize and embrace dude or mesmerize and let dude go) and then at the end of the game (beginning of chapter 6). For the first it's literally the mesmerize tutorial, so you'll have to do one or the other to continue the game. Backup as soon as you exit the boat, kill the dude, revert, and let the dude go. Then continue on. Killing him and not reverting will ruin the pacifist trophy.

I got the Platinum in one run by creating backup saves at those points. If you go for it, you will HAVE to do a full pacifist run up to the beginning of chapter 6. Make a safety save there, murder almost everyone to get their unique weapons for the relevant collectibles trophy and to cause all districts to fall into chaos, then revert your save back to the beginning of chapter 6 and clear out the game as a pacifist.

If you want to cheese this and are playing the disc version, YT up the infinite XP glitch only possible on version 1.0 of the game (if you're playing on PS4. Can't speak to other versions). Keyboard is required (wired or wireless).

Thanks a lot. I am currently considering to simply enjoy the game despite being interested in the platinum. So to return to my question: would I have more fun if I ignore the trophy list and basically become a more ambiguous character who sometimes kills but overall tries to do more good than bad?

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
If you care about the platinum, you'll have to carefully manage your way through the game and its many decisions, which means spoiling some of them, which sounds like it'll definitely impact your enjoyment. On top of that, the game is not a cake walk, so if you don't start over and use the infinite XP glitch, you may be in for a really rough time with the combat if the combat system just doesn't click with you. You get hundreds of times more experience fleshing out a named civilian's backstory and then embracing him or her than you do from even multiple combat encounters, so a pacifist run will see you perpetually crippled from a leveling standpoint. It's not an insurmountable handicap, but I also wouldn't call the game's combat one of its strong points. So anything that extends it over the course of an entire run could be considered a negative.

Sounds to me like you'd probably enjoy the ride more if you just play everything by ear. Do keep in mind that some decisions may seem right and completely backfire on you. And some may seem wrong but actually wind up with the best result. It's part of the game's charm, IMO, and a carefully managed single-playthrough platinum run would probably ruin that for you somewhat.

I don't regret my platinum run, because I get my enjoyment from 100%'ing a game, usually (but not always) more than walking in blind. This is definitely a game made more memorable by a blind run, though. At least for a first playthrough.

I literally just finished the game a few weeks ago, so everything is still fresh for me. But from what you say, I get the sense that you'd enjoy it more going in blind. This is a game that heavily relies on choice and the unforeseen consequences that follow. It's practically impossible to stumble your way through a perfect platinum run because certain choices can lead to character deaths or disappearances that will permanently lock you out of certain trophies. Either the pacifist one or one of the collectible trophies. Or, most likely, both.

So, it's either carefully follow a guide, backing up your save when necessary.
Or say 'fuck it' and just enjoy the ride for what it is, and make your journey to one the handful of endings YOURS.

Edit:
If you want the best (as in happiest) ending, you WILL need a nearly perfect pacifist run.
Even though I knew I wouldn't be eating any of the named NPCs, I unlocked every single hint and clue and completed every side quest in the game, maxing out everyone's backstory and filling in all of the delicious details. So yes, I got the best ending. And knew all of the NPCs as much as is possible in the game, good and bad alike.

But I looked up the rest of the endings. And knowing what I know about these NPCs and the major and minor decisions that define your journey through the game, I think I can safely say that no matter which ending you wind up with, it'll feel legitimately earned by the time you get it. It may seem a little unfair the best ending is locked behind choices that require you to basically suppress the vampire within, but I don't think any of the endings are unsatisfying.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I heard the combat wasn't good and for that I was out. I tried to get into The Witcher 3 and didn't like it's animation over responsiveness and control, so I didn't make it far in that game because of it's combat.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Defo interested but got the feeling it will end up on game pass very soon and if it does, I certainly will give it a go despite the mixed (mostly average reviews)

OP
OP
Morrigan

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Mejilan Great post!
So to return to my question: would I have more fun if I ignore the trophy list and basically become a more ambiguous character who sometimes kills but overall tries to do more good than bad?
I think so. But I'm also someone who cares zero about trophies or achievements. Gaming over meta-gaming, I say.
I heard the combat wasn't good and for that I was out. I tried to get into The Witcher 3 and didn't like it's animation over responsiveness and control, so I didn't make it far in that game because of it's combat.
It plays nothing like TW3. Controls are fluid and responsive. People who complain about the combat simply find it too hard and (IMO) don't use the vampire abilities correctly.

Ryszard

Apr 7, 2018
I missed the Christmas offer and I am waiting now, but I'm looking forward to play it. I really like Dontnod, but right now I cannot afford 59,90€ for a game (PSN price now).

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Even super-underleveled, combat is very doable. I'd say the mechanics are serviceable, but not exemplary.
Realize that you have a number of tools (melee damage, firearm damage, blood damage, shadow damage), that enemies have different resistances and weaknesses, and exploit those weaknesses, and combat will quickly turn from something that could easily be a chore into an efficient bit of exercise.
Figuratively speaking.

Also, find some weapons you light and use the crafting system to upgrade them. That makes a surprising difference. Especially if you're going for a pacifist or mostly pacifist run.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I was interested but I'm not buying this game 'cause of the term 'lowkey' in the thread title. :p

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Mejilan Great post!

I think so. But I'm also someone who cares zero about trophies or achievements. Gaming over meta-gaming, I say.

It plays nothing like TW3. Controls are fluid and responsive. People who complain about the combat simply find it too hard and (IMO) don't use the vampire abilities correctly.
I saw, I brought TW3 up because I just couldn't get into it's combat. It apparently has an amazing story but I like combat with story on the side if it has to be a thing.

I think it was Kotaku and watching youtube videos on the combat that caused me to not be interested.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished this and really enjoyed it. I was stuck on the last boss for a while being underpowered. I had killed off almost every civilian for XP without doing many sidequests and couldn't find a way to advance my skills. Only after roaming the game for a few hours, I finally found a better weapon and was able to beat it.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So I am currently playing this and still in the beginning. Based on the trophy list it seems you will need 2 playthtoughs were you dedicate yourself of 1: killing everyone, 2: the opposite.

If I would only do one playthrough, would I torpedo my perceived fun by sticking to only one of those extremes?

I think the best way to enjoy the game is to make moral choices you would make.
I only did one playthrough, only killed 2 people, but made some pretty brutal mistakes in judging the character of certain NPCs and got the second worst ending (there are 4 in total, from best to worst). Regardless, it felt pretty fitting.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017

Its not that bad just a little janky. I had way more issues with witcher 3's combat than with this.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Mejilan Great post!

I would say TW3's controls are every bit as fluid and responsive as Vampyr's and I appreciate both games.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I thought it was a massive disappointment, I bought it day one full of hype and it just wasn't very good.