• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Morrigan

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
As a person that doesn't care for challenge, is the game difficult or is it similar to past dontnot offerings like LiS?
You can play in the Story mode. I think this only locks an achievement/trophy for a specifically no-kill playthrough, otherwise it's the full game with easier combat.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely something i've been quite interested in, glad to hear quite a lot of positively about it. I'll play it, for sure, just no idea when i'll be able to get to it.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The quality of the side-quests (they're called "investigations") vary, they're almost all fairly minor but some have interesting little side-stories and give insight into the Citizen's lives. I'd say most are worth doing.

The consequences of your choices and actions vary greatly. Sometimes, a dialogue choice will only change the flavour text; other times it will either yield more hints about the Citizen whereas the wrong choice will lock you out of those hints. And some key decisions, like whether to kill or spare some major NPCs, can greatly affect the story.

I see this a lot, but I just don't agree. I had a lot of fun doing both, and in the cases where I didn't really feel like fighting some respawning enemies I just ran past them no problem, their aggro range is super small.

I guess I would have liked a fast travel or something, it wasn't like it was a living breathing open world that was like super fun to be in, sometimes having to get from one end of the map to another was just a hassle.

I liked the game, and the promise of the game, I just feel it was a little under developed, but glad you love it, and I hope it did well enough for a sequel in the future.

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
Just waiting on this to hit the $20 mark. Missed it on BF when MS store had it for $21.

Too much to get caught up on in the meantime.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the story, atmosphere, and characters.

I hated the combat, found the backtracking/traversal annoying and eventually I even started to get tired of the same old conversations with new NPCs. I definitely had to force myself through the last district as the tedium was starting to kill my enjoyment.

OP
OP
Morrigan

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Yup, part of the fun of being a vampire in this game is... actually tearing people up like vampire, going QTE or turn-based would be crippling to this game.
Agreed. Not gonna lie, hearing hostile vampire hunters scream "shit, this leech is fast!" or "watch out, a killer!" as Jonathan menacingly advanced towards them to tear them apart was... entertaining. >_>

All of that would lose its impact in a non-action combat system. I've been wanting a solid vampire action/adventure game since Legacy of Kain. This isn't quite the same thing, of course, but it was still satisfying to play.

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah! Vampyr was awesome. For some reason, I am enjoying AA games more than high budget AAA games recently. This, Darksiders III, Call of Cthulhu (same main VO!). The Sinking City is one of my most-awaited games this year.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
The quality of the side-quests (they're called "investigations") vary, they're almost all fairly minor but some have interesting little side-stories and give insight into the Citizen's lives. I'd say most are worth doing.

The consequences of your choices and actions vary greatly. Sometimes, a dialogue choice will only change the flavour text; other times it will either yield more hints about the Citizen whereas the wrong choice will lock you out of those hints. And some key decisions, like whether to kill or spare some major NPCs, can greatly affect the story.
"greatly", I would not say that. the lack of consequences is one of the big flaws of the game in my opinion.
I expected to at least be able to side with different factions at the end, which would be tha bare minimum by todays standards, but the end was basically just a story tunnel.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
The game sounds great overall and it has been on my "wanted" list for quite some time. Though I never got around actually buying the game out of fear that I would dislike the RPG mechanics.

Reading through the description from the OP, I'd probably prefer a character like Kain from LoK who doesn't bat an eye when it comes to killing his prey for their blood. I really don't want to be stuck in this artificial environment where my two decisions are to help or to kill. Except if the character wouldn't show any regret for it when playing as a "bad guy".
I always enjoyed the rather dark depiction of vampires in games like Blood Omen, so being in a moral dilemma doesn't excite me too much.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
nabbed this on the cheap for my fiancee for Christmas based entirely on the fact that a difficulty-lite, Story mode is included (she recently tried to play through Bloodborne and it was just not going well), and played a little myself so far. looking forward to digging a little further into it if i get the chance. but Onimusha and RE2 drop this month so i might just watch her play (if she ever gets around to it). but it definitely strikes me as that sort of mid-tier, interesting story / janky mechanics kind of title.

OP
OP
Morrigan

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
"greatly", I would not say that. the lack of consequences is one of the big flaws of the game in my opinion.
I expected to at least be able to side with different factions at the end, which would be tha bare minimum by todays standards, but the end was basically just a story tunnel.
I guess it depends on how you see "consequences". There's barely any faction-siding (though, I do wonder what happens if you side with Ascalon, I betrayed them in both playthroughs because fuck those pompous elitist assholes :D), true, but there are serious consequences to your actions in some other ways, such as how you handle each Pillar Citizen and/or how districts can fall to pieces.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I guess it depends on how you see "consequences". There's barely any faction-siding (though, I do wonder what happens if you side with Ascalon, I betrayed them in both playthroughs because fuck those pompous elitist assholes :D), true, but there are serious consequences to your actions in some other ways, such as how you handle each Pillar Citizen and/or how districts can fall to pieces.
I would actually have liked to join the pompous assholes ;)
but yes, that with the districts is definitely true, as is the general difficulty of the game that depends on who you kill as I mentioned above. but those are not very exciting consequences honestly, speaking for myself of course, but I want to change the story of a game.

another thing that bothered me was that the whole setting just felt a bit wrong because the story and the dialogues make such a big deal out of the question if you should feed on/kill humans (which is great) but then you go out on the streets and slaughter and empty countless people in the neverending respawning combat encounters. that just felt plain wrong to me.

and I think it should just be mentioned in this thread that if you want to play a fantastic RPG great mechanics, an incredibly immersive world, plenty of choices and consequences and makes you actually really feel like a vampire (even with plenty of different breeds to choose from) there is still only one at the very top and that is Bloodlines.

OP
OP
Morrigan

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
The game sounds great overall and it has been on my "wanted" list for quite some time. Though I never got around actually buying the game out of fear that I would dislike the RPG mechanics.

Reading through the description from the OP, I'd probably prefer a character like Kain from LoK who doesn't bat an eye when it comes to killing his prey for their blood. I really don't want to be stuck in this artificial environment where my two decisions are to help or to kill. Except if the character wouldn't show any regret for it when playing as a "bad guy".
I always enjoyed the rather dark depiction of vampires in games like Blood Omen, so being in a moral dilemma doesn't excite me too much.
Well, the good news is that you can totally play as a mass-murder if you want to. :) Yes, there are consequences and the game might "guilt" you somewhat, but..
it's not like Jonathan collapses into a blubbering mess of guilt or anything like that, it's actually mostly subtle. It does affect the ending and some dialogue lines, but if you want to play as a total predator who gives no fucks, the game lets you do that, and will in fact be easier.

Also, some have said that the "worst" ending is actually their favourite ones, FWIW. And I can see why they'd say that.

For what it's worth, I'm a huge Legacy of Kain fan, and Kain (not counting the abomination that is Blood Omen 2) is pretty much my all-time favourite video game character and I obviously loved the shit out of this game. Jonathan is no Kain and all, but he's still a solid protagonist and the "vampire roleplay", while a different take on it than LoK, works really well if you let it.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, I noticed you've been playing Vampyr on Steam lately.

I kinda missed it in the last sale, but I'm still planning to pick it up later, probably in the next sale. RPG with choices and consequences is my jam.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its does atmosphere incredibly well. But it goes on for way too long. The fighting system is just a boring chore.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I really love that the voice actor has been in some recent stuff.

Edit : it felt like a... GOOD blood omen 2?i say this as a (probably rare lol) blood omen 2 fan.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge fan of Dontnod, so I was very hyped for this game, but I ended up being kinda disappointed. The combat is fine, although there's too much of it. What I didn't like is the narrative part of the game; I feel they really dropped the ball there, especially coming right after Life Is Strange. Here, choices can have random consequences, which takes me away from the story. I also feel like everything, from the illness system to the lack of fast travel and respawning enemies, is done to annoy the player. The story wasn't very interesing to me either, so there's not much that I actually enjoyed. I still liked the game, but waaay less than I expected. In my opinion, it's far worse than Remember Me, let alone LiS.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a pretty good game but it does get old and the last few hours feel like a chore. The combat just doesn't have enough variety and some of the things you have to do to keep people healthy are tedious for a game with such a limited world. It's a great starting point tho and a more ambitious sequel could be something special.

iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
I need to get back into this. Played several hours of it near release day but kinda got distracted by other things, played other games. I hear there were some updates that improve/change gameplay? I need to boot it up again and give it another whirl.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My problem with this game is that I'm not interested at all in vampire related stuff, and the packaging makes it seem generic as far as looks go.

But it's just that, my problem. I'll see if I can find some time to look into it considering some of my most anticipated games ever are coming out soon and in close proximity. I simply can't keep up with all these games.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Well, the good news is that you can totally play as a mass-murder if you want to. :) Yes, there are consequences and the game might "guilt" you somewhat, but..
it's not like Jonathan collapses into a blubbering mess of guilt or anything like that, it's actually mostly subtle. It does affect the ending and some dialogue lines, but if you want to play as a total predator who gives no fucks, the game lets you do that, and will in fact be easier.

Also, some have said that the "worst" ending is actually their favourite ones, FWIW. And I can see why they'd say that.

For what it's worth, I'm a huge Legacy of Kain fan, and Kain (not counting the abomination that is Blood Omen 2) is pretty much my all-time favourite video game character and I obviously loved the shit out of this game. Jonathan is no Kain and all, but he's still a solid protagonist and the "vampire roleplay", while a different take on it than LoK, works really well if you let it.
Welp I guess I have to give it a chance now. Thanks for confirming I'm not going to play a character who can't cope with his guilt, because Vampyr sounds like an excellent game in almost every aspect.

Oh and Blood Omen 2 is actually awesome. One day everyone will come to know the undeniable truth! :(

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I tried but gave up during the first hour or so due to clunky combat and controls on PC. I also think I had weird technical issues. But, in theory the game sounds like my absolute jam.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Merlin being one of the first vampires, and all vampires being created from the war goddess Morrigain.

It is confirmed... Morrigan is just shilling for her very own fanfiction game. ;)

On a more serious note, I was already interested, but after reading this thread I may pick it up in the nearish future. I love the enthusiasm here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It was excellent. Made #9 on my GOTY list. My blurb on the game:

"Dontnod's vampire RPG is ambitious and uniquely focused. Through a limited cast and limited XP, Vampyr turned the infamous thirst of the vampire into an intrinsic mechanic, and thanks to the interesting characters and solid writing, choosing who to feed on is never less than a nail-biting sweat-inducing decision. No victim is extraneous. Every feeding has unavoidable consequences. Secrets and stories forever lost, loss and grief affecting others, a district teetering closer to ruin or salvation.

The knowledge that any NPC you talked to, helped, healed could become your next victim never lost its sense of weight. It's a testament to Vampyr's smart design that you always felt like a predator lurking among unsuspecting prey, and that unrelenting sense of consequence makes it a special game indeed."

Last edited:

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Funnily enough I also got this as a Christmas present and have only played a bit so far but am really enjoying it. Loving the atmosphere, pleasantly surprised by how good the music and voice acting is, how decent the combat is and how strong the Art direction is (not graphically that great looking but the artistry is definitely strong). I'm really getting into the immersive feel and the world building and mystery aspect is really grabbing me. I love the detective aspect of the game so far. Definitely seems like it will be a cult game in years to come.

I feel like some people are being very hard on what is essentially an ambitious mid tier new IP. Normally devs iron out the kinks in sequels and I think this could get one since it seemed to do well with its sales. It's got a lot of very interesting and fresh concepts integrated into an immersive sim vampire game. Not like we get hardly any vampire games nowadays.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
...you always felt like a predator lurking among unsuspecting prey...

That part is crucial. I've played VTB, games where you can be evil or bad, but no game I've played has interwoven that aspect into the gameplay and atmosphere as well as Vampyr. It never stops feeling weird or predatory interacting with people when you know they could be your next victim, that perhaps your act of helping them is really you making them a more nourishing meal. You're surrounded by walking blood bags and Vampyr never makes you forget that. Choosing to feed never feels trivial, compared to a game like Masquerade

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Skipping dialogue in the game is busted. It doesn't show a full line at a time in the subtitles. Makes me rage.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's one of my 2018 GOTYs. The thing that sold it to me was someone in the OT basically chalking it up to be this gen's Alpha Protocol. That instantly piqued my interest and I'd say it's a fair assessment. Combat is awkward at times but gets much easier/manageable when you build your character a bit. The game has its rough edges. But the setting, dialogue, and music are simply not to be missed if you enjoy RPGs.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
yeah,great game.
Some flaws and it's obviously not for everyone,but it's very good.
Music is amazing.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I want to play it, too.

It's on my list, but my list is long and so is my current backlog.

Maybe by the time the Switch version is out I'll be prepared (and hopefully it runs okay!)

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to play it, too.

It's on my list, but my list is long and so is my current backlog.

Maybe by the time the Switch version is out I'll be prepared (and hopefully it runs okay!)
Unless there's considerable work to make loadtimes and streaming better than PS4/XB1, I'd strongly recommend you get it for any other platform -- if you're able to. I'm totally open to a bangup port making improvements on these things though. I'll probably pick it up on Switch if the port makes these improvements, in fact.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I actually got a bit overwhelmed/fatigued with the dialogue trees. I think I was in a hospital area or something and the conversations seemed endless. Combat was decent enough.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Unless there's considerable work to make loadtimes and streaming better than PS4/XB1, I'd strongly recommend you get it for any other platform -- if you're able to. I'm totally open to a bangup port making improvements on these things though. I'll probably pick it up on Switch if the port makes these improvements, in fact.

Yeah, that's what I'm kinda waiting on.

But I won't have time to play it for a while anyway, so my thoughts are to wait and see. If it performs well enough on Switch, it personally makes the game all the more enticing to me.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Can you avoid combat altogether when you turn on story mode? Or is it there just as often, just hard to lose?

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I like this game a lot. The characters you meet are interesting and their stories left an impression on me. With quite a few of them i changed how i thought about them after learning more about them and their circumstances. The main story wasn't as good, but still it kept me entertained till the end. The characters are why should play this game. Oh and the music of course. The soundtrack is so different from other games i have played, it fits this game and its bleak themes perfectly though.

Oct 25, 2017
Loooooooooove this game, really want to replay it as soon as possible, on Hard this time, as I believe the difficulty is a core part of the game's story, but it wasn't quite there on a first playthrough before the Hard patch.

My only major issue with the game.

Really hope we get another Vampyr, and that Reid comes back as an NPC or something like that, really enjoy the character.

I like this game a lot. The characters you meet are interesting and their stories left an impression on me. With quite a few of them i changed how i thought about them after learning more about them and their circumstances. The main story wasn't as good, but still it kept me entertained till the end. The characters are why should play this game. Oh and the music of course. The soundtrack is so different from other games i have played, it fits this game and its bleak themes perfectly though.

HGGGGGGGGGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

This game's soundtrack sounds like what I imagined when reading The Music of Erich Zann.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
DO NOT do a no kill playthrough on your first go. I did and it ruins the experience
of actually playing even if the 'good' ending is tied to it (just go to YouTube) While there is enough wiggle room to handle fights if you build properly and dodge well with the significantly reduced XP available to you, it makes the game so much less interesting and alot harder. some skills are fun and having a breath of options makes for more interesting engagements in the triangle weakness system. There are some bad people I wish I had eaten, and completeing everyone dialog trees by finding clues and being thorough is wasted when you can't ultimately do anything with them once their potential XP is maxed.

So go ham people. I was suprised at who they let you kill knowing every named NPC is a potential target...