• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Clan did you pick?

• Brujah

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Toreador

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Ventrue

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
MwsfTm1.png

5WFTDfV.png

[*] Developer/Publisher - Draw Distance
[*] Platform(s) - PC (GOG / Steam ) (Coming in 2020 for PS4/XB1/NSW)
[*] Release Date: December 11th
[*] Genre: Visual Novel

2VlEsFS.png

8zOhpvP.png
L6adAX2.png

f6z2vrq.png
2TMBDfD.png

And many more...

9PzsTN3.png

oXrq4Gr.png

(To be added as provided.)

Last edited:

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'm THAT far in yet, but so far it's better than I thought it would be.

Went straight for the Malkavian companion ASAP and thus far I have not been disappointed.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I'm not happy with either of the three clans, but I went Brujah and I like him so far.

There is no VA, but the protagonist does get his/her lines fleshed out, which is nice.

IUKgyiM.png

Does anyone have problems with the backgrounds running choppy? Mine isn't looping properly.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not like plugged in on vampire shit but I feel like I should have seen something about this game existing before now, especially as a fan of VNs.
Anyway it looks pretty cool

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Just as a minor aside for the platforms section, it's also coming to switch.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to play this as if I know nothing about the lore.
Went Tory. Going after the Tremere first because I need a powerful ally ASAP I think.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
is this something thats going to fly over my head if i don't know vampire lore and their clans

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Super excited about giving this a proper go to serve as an appetizer to Bloodlines 2! What a time!

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this good? I'm reading steam reviews and many seem to mention that its short, decisions don't affect the story and that the ending is pretty bad. Anyone here have a different opinion?

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Kind of dislike visual novels, but this is relevant to my interests.

If only I could get over the silliness of tattoed vampires...
That character is fantastic. You won't be disappointed, the writer knows what they're doing.
Is this good? I'm reading steam reviews and many seem to mention that its short, decisions don't affect the story and that the ending is pretty bad. Anyone here have a different opinion?
The writing is stellar so far. I'll be disappointed if that proves true, but how many great RPGs have terrible endings? SMT is no exception.

Bloodlines endings were nothing to write home about, either.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it in about three hours.

I thought it was well written and dripped with atmosphere. You don't so much make decisions that actually affect the plot as you make decisions that flavor the plot; who do you want to associate with, do you use this power or not, etc. Nobody should ever mistake this for Bloodlines.

The ending's pretty abrupt and as far as I know it's the same for all three clans. Additionally, there's places you'd really expect the story to go that would fit those clans that, due to its shared nature, it really doesn't. You do get personalized scenes set to your character, but you don't really get to do much in the way of roleplaying, say, a ladder-climbing Ventrue. The story is the story is the story.

I ultimately enjoyed it, but I have that "man I wish they had more money/time to make this something truly special" vibe.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, didn't know this released. I'm super fucking curious about it. I'm always down for a more serious and moody VN.

Edit: Bought from GoG since the price was pretty good. Gonna try it soon.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
How many nights do you have until the game comes to its conclusion?
I only manage to do two things most of the nights, so far it seems like it's impossible to focus on more than 2 out of the 4 available coterie members.

Dec 5, 2017
I beat it after about 4 hours and really enjoyed it and thought the writing was great but the ending was very sudden.

Oct 25, 2017
Hold the phone, I thought this was like, a Tabletop podcast! It's a VIsual Novel? I am on this like O-Negative in a wine glass.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
A bump, but finally came around to playing this game. I started it a few nights ago for a little bit just to test it out. Then I played it all day on Sunday, and binged it to the end. It's a great little visual novel. The art is well done, the atmosphere is palpable, the writing is pretty good, and the characters feel well realized.

The main issue I have is that it's so short. The game really does a good job building up the lore and introducing terms. It also poses some interesting questions and points of view. But by the time the game starts getting deep, you're already end-game.

In a way, I think their goal was to tease people into the greater universe. It feels somewhat introductory in that sense, but at the same time it has good writing, interesting characters, and it pulls you in to the world. By the end, it feels a bit narrow, but really, it has left me wanting more. I think it served its purpose in that it pulled me into the series as an introductory story. Next I'm going to play Bloodlines, since I haven't had the time to dive into it yet.

I chose Toreador in the game, and it was a good fit. Next I'll try Ventrue to see how the details are different in the storyline. I was also pretty smitten with Sophie.
I felt fucking bad by the end sequence. It's inevitable. But it's better that way, as the ending has stuck with me more than if I were able to get a better ending.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
My highest praise for this above Bloodlines is how much it focuses on the politics. It has everyone you expect. The Scourge, Harpy, Sheriff, etc, it's all there.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Just bought this. Have no familiarity with the IP at all, is there anything I should know going in?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So I had a quick look at this last night and I REALLY liked the whole vibe of the thing. Are there any other games/VN's that are along the same lines/similar to this worth checking out? I already bought Bloodlines on GOG but if there's anything else like Coteries, I'd love any recommendations.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Just now finished it.Yeah, that's... a hell of an ending.

Sudden, but I liked it, it drove the message home.

The biggest takeaway I have from the new V:TM?

The Second Inquisition are terrifying.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Finished it on Switch (Toreador, friend with Tamika and D'Angelo). I liked it very much. Very well written. Too bad for the sudden ending and for the fact that I have to play it again to try to finish all the quest. I find it a very artifical way to increment replayability, just cutting away the playtime from a player.

But still, very good game, I wish it was longer. I am looking forward for the sequel.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Finished it on Switch (Toreador, friend with Tamika and D'Angelo). I liked it very much. Very well written. Too bad for the sudden ending and for the fact that I have to play it again to try to finish all the quest. I find it a very artifical way to increment replayability, just cutting away the playtime from a player.

But still, very good game, I wish it was longer. I am looking forward for the sequel.
I didn't even know it was out on Switch til now...

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I'm in a super duper Vampire mood now and I'm wondering - is this worth playing or should I just play my 5th playthrough of Bloodlines?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Ended up just getting it on sale on Steam and started the first 6 nights of the Ventrue storyline. It's actually really good and enjoyable as a VN! The audio design and the visual art style are really exactly what I was looking for in a Vampire experience.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
The standalone expansion/sequel is out on September the 10th; Shadows of New York.
  • Single character (a 100+ year old Lasombra called Julia)
  • Investigating the death of one of the characters from the first game
  • Confirmed to have multiple endings
www.youtube.com

Vampire The Masquerade Shadows of New York Gameplay Trailer

Steam: https://bit.ly/2x44pN7 In Vampire: The Masquerade – Shadows of New York players take on the role of Julia, a vampire of the mysterious and powerful cl...

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
So I finished the Ventrue path, it was pretty good. But it seems like the other paths are the same with the same main characters, so not sure I want to go through it all again. I still needed to complete two other allies, so maybe I'll muster some strength to do it at some point.

The major negative of the game is the fact that the ending was super rushed. Everything was pretty good and well paced, and then it seemed like the developers just rushed through to the end, thereby leaving the "twist" kind of underwhelming and rushed.

Otherwise, I thought the atmosphere was excellent, the urban vampire thing was perfect to me, the music was good, the writing ranged from decent to entertaining to impressive, and the art setpieces were moody and fitting for the game's setting. All in all, a pretty good experience if people are okay with visual novels and like vampire the masquerade setting.

I'll definitely get the sequel, that's for sure.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Shadows of New York is out now. I ended up getting the Deluxe edition on GoG, because it has a good price, and I like the artwork in these games, so I wouldn't mind getting the extra content. Can't wait to try it.

Edit: I've played about 30 mins. The production is good, feels even a little better than the first. So far I like what I've experienced. The art is cool, and I cut one of the characters as my avatar. Might change it later to another character, this was a quick choice for now.

Last edited:

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently they are going to release a physical edition combining Coteries of New York and Shadows of New York... they posted it on the Discord with an image a few days back. It will be some limited edition with artbook and vinyl soundtrack

PS4, PC and Switch versions