• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Covid-19 did end in 2021 and by that I mean it mutated so much that it's now called Covid-Z
Oh great now we're dealing with zombies next?!
tenor.gif

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how anyone has any faith in this project outside of the name on the box at this point.

You're basically putting your faith in the uuuhhhh Blacklight: Tango Down developers to deftly pick and choose the narrative elements that the original creatives leads wrote(while ousting them?)

Everything about this game screams like something milquetoast is about to get sieved out.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020
Do they have Storywriter left? First they had the Avalone issue and then at least one other storywriter left the company last half year.

Aug 13, 2020
Halo Infinite:

I'd say that's just as troubled as this, NGL
But here I can understand the turnover. Microsoft had to react to this massive failure, so at least the Lead Producer and Creative Director has to go, they are like a team manager in sports. If they suck, they get fired.
The question is, if Microsoft trusted 343 fully (so the people firing was the right move) or they thought the current state of Halo is totally OK (then it was just normal reaction).

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, this game continues to look like a hot mess, and some of the talent that was hyped up for it leaving doesn't give me good vibes for the final release.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly. If I remember correctly, the last gameplay they showed off was even the same water choice scenario as they showed off when they announced it, and that was at least a year between demos, maybe more.

But also, like Bloodlines 2, it was another game that Chris Avellone was involved with and then ousted from. And they can wash their hands of him as much as they want (and they should) but the sudden nature of it has to have an impact on development, even if they say his stuff isn't being used, which I think was the case with Hardsuit and Bloodlines 2.

From bts scenes talk Avellone was a big mistake. They wanted a game that was taken seriously writing wise with dynamic branching narrative but also had everything that Dead Island and Dying Light had.

I personally was, and everyone should have been, extremely skeptical on the first demo that had in the moment weighty choices that directly impacted gameplay but also advertised full 4 player drop in/out coop. That was never going to work.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
But here I can understand the turnover. Microsoft had to react to this massive failure, so at least the Lead Producer and Creative Director has to go, they are like a team manager in sports. If they suck, they get fired.
The question is, if Microsoft trusted 343 fully (so the people firing was the right move) or they thought the current state of Halo is totally OK (then it was just normal reaction).
Those changes happened in 2019, well before this whole "Halo infinite looks like poop" debacle. Also to my knowledge no one was fired, they left on their own merrit. There can be many reasons someone decides to leave a company and none of them need to be negative.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm basically committed now, since I pre-ordered on GMG during a sale a long time ago and I'm pretty sure they don't do refunds this far past the purchase date, but yeah, it doesn't look good now that this is confirmed.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
You know

I'm still going to look forward to the soundtrack to this thing. Maybe at least *that* will be good.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yeah, that's bad. I doubt they'll want/be able to wipe off all writing and ideas from the leads, so I'm sure there will still be some good left in it. But it seemed like this game could be great and now I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's even good. What a shame.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope the remaining developers are not having terrible days at work. If they hace also lost faith in their game, the day to day working must be so depressing.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Well damn.

Really curious what could have caused all these departures. A Bloodlines sequel was such a great idea =[

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I honestly don't know what's going on with this project, and I also know most games are not the creation of a small group of talents - So I'm not as quick to jump on the "game is dead" train. I'm obviously more worried about the project, but I think declaring it a sure failure at this point is just as silly as not being worried at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Loosing your senior writer, narrative designer and creative director at a point where the game was supposed to be out already seems like a completely normal thing.

I honestly don't know what's going on with this project, and I also know most games are not the creation of a small group of talents - So I'm not as quick to jump on the "game is dead" train. I'm obviously more worried about the project, but I think declaring it a sure failure at this point is just as silly as not being worried at all.
The onus is on them to show that the game is still on track tho. We still seen any recent gameplay and I don't think they have said a word about all the firings. (Tho it doesn't sound like Cara was fired)

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but the guys that left left a year ago, not because of the recent mixed reception of the game, or the delay. Schreier and Klepek have separately said that Halo Infinite's development has not been even remotely good.

At any case, seems like Bloodlines 2 and Dying Light 2 are fighting for the crown of the poorest managed upcoming project.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This is so sad to see. I hope that all of this will amount to nothing or to a better game, but I'm not optimistic.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Why is this IP so cursed?
It's the mark of Caine, I swear.

In any case, it seems evident now that Paradox absolutely mismanaged the project. I'm already bracing for cut content all over the place.

"Cara brought fresh ideas to the project and many of her contributions will be present in the game launching next year. We thank her for her work on Bloodlines 2 and wish her the best in all of her future endeavors."
"Many of her contributions"

While I'm indiferent towards Cara Ellison (good writer and passionate about the universe, although I didn't quite agree with some of her takes on the franchise), this doesn't fill me with confidence. The fact that changes have been focused on design and creative development is making me extra wary. There's nothing normal about this.

Morbid as it may be, at this point I'm more interested about the post-mortem than the game itself.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I'm... i'm on the verge of cancelling my pre-order, honestly. As big of a fan i am of V:tM i just see this game falling apart everywhere. My only hope for it to be good is that Bloodlines turned out to be an awesome game despite the fact that it was released completely broken.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not expecting anything other than a mess of a game at this point.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's the mark of Caine, I swear.

In any case, it seems evident now that Paradox absolutely mismanaged the project. I'm already bracing for cut content all over the place.

"Many of her contributions"

While I'm indiferent towards Cara Ellison (good writer and passionate about the universe, although I didn't quite agree with some of her takes on the franchise), this doesn't fill me with confidence. The fact that changes have been focused on design and creative development is making me extra wary. There's nothing normal about this.

Morbid as it may be, at this point I'm more interested about the post-mortem than the game itself.

Well, at least we'll have Shadowsong.
And the Shadows of New York and Heart of the Forest visual novels were fairly good, too.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017

This. I already cancelled my preorder but I'm still following the game. Even if it turns out underwhelming, it'll be a platform for future mods.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Shit is not looking good, but first VtMB also had very rocky development. Best outcome is that most writing was done already...

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Not great news, but it could be that the narrative design has been finished and they just moved on to another project.