• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which clan are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Brujah

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • Tremere

Votes: 99 23.6%
  • Toreador

Votes: 108 25.8%
  • Ventrue

Votes: 71 16.9%
  • Malkavian

Votes: 99 23.6%

• Total voters
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So i can kind of treat this like Skyrim or Fallout then? Skyrim and FO4 were my first games in that series but i could still understand what was going on basically despite the references

im not a PC guy, that's why i havent despite having obviously heard about the game over the years

You should play the first because it's great.

...but you can play this one on it's own.
I wonder if there's any interest in a VtM:B console port among console gamers. VtM:B2 seems very geared towards the PC crowd that's already familiar with the first.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Same.

So, Era, what are your hopes for this game?

As for me, I'd love new spooky places to visit. I'm interested in seeing all the different places we'll be able to explore. For instance, I'd love to be able to visit a University or a campus of sort and meet professors (hopefully, and seeing how our own characters have backgrounds, we can be academics as well).

I'm hoping that we'll be able to (if we want) focus our characters toward persuasion/seduction and the game will allow you many paths to choose if you go that way rather then blocking you off into combat.

I remember in the first one you could bypass one of the bosses with it, but similar to Deus Ex, a lot of the "bosses" were pretty much combat focused and those that went toward dialogue heavy builds were at a disadvantage when it came to such bosses.

I'd love to see them even it out more, instead of tunneling you into one paths offer the different builds different paths to take and experiences that shape and change the story and characters around you depending on how you handle things.

If you are violent for example some characters might like that and it might increase their view of you, whereas others might like it more if they see you handling things without violence and being more diplomatic or using subterfuge to get around problems instead of just breaking heads.

Another thing that I'd really like to see improved is the movement mechanics, getting around the city I want to "feel" like I'm a vampire with the different abilities and the different clans should influence how your character moves and the places they can reach.

That brings me to clans and character choices, I'd like to see some new ones in this that weren't playable in the first. I'd REALLY like to see gargoyles playable (but something tells me we won't get them).

It'd be like Nosferatu but instead of the sewers you'd be flying around the city at night and using obfuscate to move around and do quests, it'd be an insane stealth focused game early on and then when you get the higher lv's of obfuscate it'd open up to being more normal where you can move around like others sinec your appearance can be changed to something else.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there's any interest in a VtM:B console port among console gamers. VtM:B2 seems very geared towards the PC crowd that's already familiar with the first.

I think there would be, surely, but...man what an undertaking that would be. I cannot fathom any situation where the game would be released in its current state. Unofficial patches fall into licensing limbo. There's the question of some of the more controversial content and if Paradox would want to keep it on or make cuts. There's the archaic version of Source it runs off, and all the complexities that'd inevitably introduce trying to port it. And there's the general bugs, presentation, balance, and game system oddities that would be highlighted in a release today.

I love Bloodlines, but it's truly a warts-and-all kind of game. I think there'd be the worry that porting it would be a rough undertaking, and if they're hyping up Bloodlines 2 it might pay for Paradox to ride off the coattails of Bloodline's reputation rather than re-release it to a modern market that might not see past its deficiencies for its strengths.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping that we'll be able to (if we want) focus our characters toward persuasion/seduction and the game will allow you many paths to choose if you go that way rather then blocking you off into combat.

I remember in the first one you could bypass one of the bosses with it, but similar to Deus Ex, a lot of the "bosses" were pretty much combat focused and those that went toward dialogue heavy builds were at a disadvantage when it came to such bosses.

I'd love to see them even it out more, instead of tunneling you into one paths offer the different builds different paths to take and experiences that shape and change the story and characters around you depending on how you handle things.

If you are violent for example some characters might like that and it might increase their view of you, whereas others might like it more if they see you handling things without violence and being more diplomatic or using subterfuge to get around problems instead of just breaking heads.

Another thing that I'd really like to see improved is the movement mechanics, getting around the city I want to "feel" like I'm a vampire with the different abilities and the different clans should influence how your character moves and the places they can reach.

That brings me to clans and character choices, I'd like to see some new ones in this that weren't playable in the first. I'd REALLY like to see gargoyles playable (but something tells me we won't get them).

It'd be like Nosferatu but instead of the sewers you'd be flying around the city at night and using obfuscate to move around and do quests, it'd be an insane stealth focused game early on and then when you get the higher lv's of obfuscate it'd open up to being more normal where you can move around like others sinec your appearance can be changed to something else.

Since they've emphasized verticality on buildings, I'm guessing jumping on roofs will also be a thing.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

As for me, I'd love new spooky places to visit. I'm interested in seeing all the different places we'll be able to explore. For instance, I'd love to be able to visit a University or a campus of sort and meet professors (hopefully, and seeing how our own characters have backgrounds, we can be academics as well).

Is there a free Gargoyle clan in the game, or slated to be added in as DLC? ...can I join them, or at least have them as allies?

Nosferatu are one thing, but I wanna be able to take flight while avoiding humans! And since this game seems to emphasize verticality much more than before...

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
5-6, depending on what that bonus means.

It's a shame that the main game is going to have only 5 clans to play with and who knows which ones are those going to be.. all the 7 clans from the first game represent different playstyle
Brujah - melee power fightstyle
Gangrel - animal powers
Malkavian - we know how they are :D
Nosferatu - stealh+reactions of NPCs to their looks
Toreador - manipulators
Tremere - blood magic
Ventrue - social skills

I personally think the main game isn't going to have Nosferatu and Malkavian clans to choose from, but who knows.. hopefully those are going to be in between those free DLC clans :)

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame that the main game is going to have only 5 clans to play with and who knows which ones are those going to be.. all the 7 clans from the first game represent different playstyle
Gangrel - animal powers
Toreador - manipulators
Tremere - blood magic
Ventrue - social skills

I personally think the main game isn't going to have Nosferatu and Malkavian clans to choose from, but who knows.. hopefully those are going to be in between those free DLC clans :)

Yeah, I hope they include either Tremere or Tzimice, Brujah, Ventrue (most likeley in), Toreador and Malkavian. Those are the ones I want the most, personally.

I think the good thing about having less clans from the base game, is that they're probably going to try to polish each clan as much as they can.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
If I can't play a Malkavian character there will be riots.

(Not really, but that would be very disappointing)

Oct 27, 2017
so can i create a female character or is that not confirmed yet

Yes, you can choose between male/female characters, like the first game. In fact, they're pushing for a better/more polished character creation it seems. Like in the first gamd you had pre defined characters, now it seems you'll be able to modify them (to what extend? No idea).

Oct 27, 2017
If I can't play a Malkavian character there will be riots.

(Not really, but that would be very disappointing)

Considering clans will be added as free DLC, I'm inclined to say they will be in (either at the start or later). They're probably one of the most iconic clans, however, given their statement on being careful about how they tackle mental illness, it'll be interesting how they'll approach Malkavians.

Oct 25, 2017
Initial thoughts:

screenshot-slider-11a0kmk.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
D2Yt8-QXgAE1ues.jpg:large

New game image that looks like the entrance of a cemetery. Looks amazing (and very spooky).

It looks way better than the Hollywood (was it?) cemetery. I do hope we get some sort of quest like the one in the original Bloodlines with zombies, it was pretty fun.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Ha, you mention that, but I am reinstalling Masquerade and wondering if anyone would remaster that, and whether a console audience would care.
Bloodlines is amazing but I can't see a rational way of a console release without a ton of work. Without mods and the licencing issues that entails, its not a likely easy prospect.
It would make more sense for Bloodlines 2 to have butt ton of lore and some sort of significant explanation system in there to get people new to the WoD engaging with it. That seems a little feasible considering Witcher 3 just about managed it

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Ha, you mention that, but I am reinstalling Masquerade and wondering if anyone would remaster that, and whether a console audience would care.
Bloodlines is amazing but I can't see a rational way of a console release without a ton of work. Without mods and the licencing issues that entails, its not a likely easy prospect.
It would make more sense for Bloodlines 2 to have butt ton of lore and some sort of significant explanation system in there to get people new to the WoD engaging with it. That seems a little feasible considering Witcher 3 just about managed it
Yeah. I think in an age where The Witcher 3 can do gangbusters despite having its origins in the PC market, VtM:B2 can perform similarly.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017

I know most of ERA loves silent protagonists but I was kinda hoping the PC was voiced.
Ah well..

D2Yt8-QXgAE1ues.jpg:large

New game image that looks like the entrance of a cemetery. Looks amazing (and very spooky).

It looks way better than the Hollywood (was it?) cemetery. I do hope we get some sort of quest like the one in the original Bloodlines with zombies, it was pretty fun.

Is this UE4?

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to see some gameplay footage. Now that the hype from "OMG it's actually happening" has worn off I am worried that this might turn out to be a monkey paw wish. I get a sequel I have wished for but it is not the sequel I wanted. For me a perfect example was Oblivion after Morrowind.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
Yeah, I was gonna say, the big expansion promised is definitely Werewolves. The premium pack is called "Blood Moon", and the pass itself is called "Season of the Wolf"

Not surprising given that it's Paradox, but the usage of Season is promising if the game turns out well. It implies that they might be willing to put out multiple expansions.

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Personally I'm really glad we're getting a silent protagonist. I find them to be much more immersive.
I actually really don't mind it in the first Bloodlines. In that game it somehow works, which is I guess a testament to the strength of writing for not only the NPCs but also the PC.

Almost any other RPG with a silent protagonist, like Dragon Age, or even New Vegas, takes me out of the experience. Really strange.

Oct 27, 2017
Was sorta hoping for a voiced character. Not a dealbreaker of course, but still. Oh well.

I'm kinda glad because you really have to nail the protagonist's voice options for it to work. Would the protagonist's voice change depending on clans? Also, I honestly prefer no voiced protagonist over a few variants of yes/no/question.

If done right, however, yeah it'd be pretty neat.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Non-voiced seems like the right call for the reasons stated in them tweets.

I'd be fine with a voiced PC as long as it didn't impede dialog options, but no voice is also fine, because It's a first person role-playing game.
Where you make the character. You inhibit the character. You make the decisions. You're the voice. Try and understand it.
DOWN THE BARREL OF A GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNN!

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I actually really don't mind it in the first Bloodlines. In that game it somehow works, which is I guess a testament to the strength of writing not only the NPCs but also the PC.

Almost any other RPG with a silent protagonist, like Dragon Age, or even New Vegas, takes me out of the experience. Really strange.

I'd definitely say it's the PC writing that makes it work for you, Bloodlines has some of the best in the biz . But yeah, I guess it's a matter of preference since it's the opposite for me. I really like it in Fallout too, while I think going voiced ruined Fallout 4's roleplaying.

It's different in games like Witcher 3, but Geralt's a defined character so that's not the same.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
I really need to see some gameplay footage. Now that the hype from "OMG it's actually happening" has worn off I am worried that this might turn out to be a monkey paw wish. I get a sequel I have wished for but it is not the sequel I wanted. For me a perfect example was Oblivion after Morrowind.
I mean, that's a real risk. When you have a game as good as Morrowind or Bloodlines, chances are whatever comes after it is going to be worse, just because holding up that level of quality is almost impossible. They've not really given us much reason to be worried yet though. Everything sounds like what you'd hope for in a sequel (unless you hate DLC, I guess, because Paradox are the biggest DLC fiends in the biz). I guess we'll have a better idea when we see gameplay. E3, I guess?

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the original would probably have to just be a straight up remake to make sense trying to sell it on consoles.

Hopefully they have a very comprehensive lore tab for those new to the setting

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Gangrel - animal powers
Toreador - manipulators
Tremere - blood magic
Ventrue - social skills

in v5 Vampire: The Masqurade Core Book the available Clans are:

Banu Haqim (Assamites)
Brujah
Gangrel
Lasombra
Malkavian
Nosferatu
The Ministry (Followers of Set)
Toreador
Tremere
Ventrue

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Like the opposite for me, in this day and age I highly prefer voiced protags, Mass Effect spoiled me. It just feels weird ithat everyone else talks/has a voice but your character never utters a single word, even when characters are asking you something.

Recently played through Metro Exodus and it really takes you out of the story, you have characters literally begging you for help and your character is just mute and says nothing, it felt so awkward in terms of the story presentation.

Dragon Age Inquisition did it fairly well, they had 4 different voices (2 for each gender), one British poshy type accent which was fitting for a more serious type character and then a more gruff American accent fitting the the brash type of a character.

As far as "fitting the voice" in your head, they can get around this by letting you simply turn off your characters voice so he says nothing and you can "imagine" it if you want.

Though this all does come at the price of not having as many "up to the last minute" dialogue options ( since they have to lock in the script and dialogue when they record the lines and things), and it'd be more budget toward voice acting for that in the end as well.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I think Blacklight was a pretty solid game?

I'm not really. The game can ride mostly on its writing and atmosphere and still be great, and they have two big important parts of that from the first game. The game by all signs has had plenty of time in development so I can't imagine the gameplay being any worse than Bloodlines 1.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Any concerns over the choice of developer?

Seems they've only made Blacklight before?

I didn't play Blacklight but it seems like a good enough debut title, so that doesn't worry me.

It also sounds like they have hired the right talent, they've been saying the right things and press previews sound positive. I expect rather good to great writing which is going to be plenty to carry the game for me already, and it seems practically guaranteed that the combat will be vastly improved. I do want to see some footage though.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Recently played through Metro Exodus and it really takes you out of the story, you have characters literally begging you for help and your character is just mute and says nothing, it felt so awkward in terms of the story presentation.
Voiced players characters and silent ones are different things though. The reason RPGs like VtMB and New Vegas exclude voice audio to actually give the player more of a voice, as in a say—as in agency in the story. It allows devs to include a far greater catalog of choices without breaking the budget or making the game short, as you acknowledged.

Mute player characters are more of a linear game thing, like Doomguy and Call of Duty Dude. Their purpose is usually to unobstruct action and encourage the player to project. These goals may be shared with the inclusion of a non-voiced protagonist, but not necessarily.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I think Blacklight was a pretty solid game?

I'm not really. The game can ride mostly on its writing and atmosphere and still be great, and they have two big important parts of that from the first game. The game by all signs has had plenty of time in development so I can't imagine the gameplay being any worse than Bloodlines 1.

Lol, yeah. I can't imagine the gameplay being anything but better. Bloodlines 1 is an amazing game, but it was the story that placed the game on a pedestal for many of its fans. Combat will, for sure, improve.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Same.

I'd like a larger focus on having the freedom to tackle most encounters through dialogue, stealth, or powers rather than combat, with no forced fights outside of a tutorial. By not forced, I mean that extended combat should either be a consequence or suit the mission/quest giver/etc

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Like the opposite for me, in this day and age I highly prefer voiced protags, Mass Effect spoiled me. It just feels weird ithat everyone else talks/has a voice but your character never utters a single word, even when characters are asking you something.

Dragon Age Inquisition did it fairly well, they had 4 different voices (2 for each gender), one British poshy type accent which was fitting for a more serious type character and then a more gruff American accent fitting the the brash type of a character.

As far as "fitting the voice" in your head, they can get around this by letting you simply turn off your characters voice so he says nothing and you can "imagine" it if you want.

Though this all does come at the price of not having as many "up to the last minute" dialogue options ( since they have to lock in the script and dialogue when they record the lines and things), and it'd be more budget toward voice acting for that in the end as well.

Yeah, this game is going to have much, much more dialogs than the whole DAI game - to have voiced all the clans would mean even in the main game to have atleast 10 different (and good voiced) voices which would cost an enormous, like really, really big amount of money... and time..
Really, not even Activision, Ubisoft or EA would have the budget and time for something like this.. and of course, Paradox is a pretty small studio in comparison with them so yeah, not happening anytime atleast in the near future - for real, that's not going to ever happen

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
in v5 Vampire: The Masqurade Core Book the available Clans are:

Banu Haqim (Assamites)
Brujah
Gangrel
Lasombra
Malkavian
Nosferatu
The Ministry (Followers of Set)
Toreador
Tremere
Ventrue

I don't think that Setites and Assamites will be joinable since, if I remember correctly, they operate mainly in North Africa and the Middle East. Lasombra are also out because they're mainly Sabbat. My guess is that either Malkavians or Nosferatu might get the boot, the latter more likely since they're basically stealth only without much interactions with humans.