• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which clan are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Brujah

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • Tremere

Votes: 99 23.6%
  • Toreador

Votes: 108 25.8%
  • Ventrue

Votes: 71 16.9%
  • Malkavian

Votes: 99 23.6%

• Total voters

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty positive at the very least that Brujah, Toreador, Ventrue and Malkavian's are all playable. Outside of their pin symbol inclusion, Brujah is 100% confirmed by the developers in interviews, Ventrue is almost basically confirmed by the one high-rise office location in the clans section of the official website as that just screams it's them (plus of course they'd be in Seattle lore-wise as vampires have run Seattle for a while), Toreador's I think definitely won't be cut since they've talked a lot about sexiness being a big part of the game, and that class is all about being sexy. Malkavian's I think are in because they were the fan favorite class in the original game, they mention they've thought of things fans would want in a sequel, and there's no way they don't know Malkavian's are loved, especially with things like the stop sign being included with versions of the game.

I think really the only two mysteries are the last clan and the "Bonus", for whatever that means. I do think you're right that Tzimisce is the fifth and final regular clan (unless Malkavian's are the Bonus?), but that does lead one more. Going by the pins, both Independent and Giovonni are listed. The "Bonus" could be Independent, as the Bonus does have a pretty normal looking apartment and it'd be a "bonus" since it's a pathway that's not technically a clan.

So my current theory with all of this info is the playable Clans are:

-Brujah
-Toreador
-Ventrue
-Malkavian
-Tzimisce
-Independent (Clan-less)

Just my current theory with the pieces.

This logic makes a lot of sense. The only question I have, as someone who was more mired in Mage than Vampire, isn't your clan determined by who sires you, like kind of a biological thing almost as much as a social thing? Is it really possible to be a clanless vampire? I'm not sure how the whole siring/ascension process works for vampires.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Wish the original received a remake as well. I want to share in the excitement of everyone in this thread lol will have to buy and play the original off GoG before this releases.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
living in a post DMC5 world and getting announcements like bloodlines....mayne....
200.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Roma, Italia
I'm pretty positive at the very least that Brujah, Toreador, Ventrue and Malkavian's are all playable. Outside of their pin symbol inclusion, Brujah is 100% confirmed by the developers in interviews, Ventrue is almost basically confirmed by the one high-rise office location in the clans section of the official website as that just screams it's them (plus of course they'd be in Seattle lore-wise as vampires have run Seattle for a while), Toreador's I think definitely won't be cut since they've talked a lot about sexiness being a big part of the game, and that class is all about being sexy. Malkavian's I think are in because they were the fan favorite class in the original game, they mention they've thought of things fans would want in a sequel, and there's no way they don't know Malkavian's are loved, especially with things like the stop sign being included with versions of the game.

I think really the only two mysteries are the last clan and the "Bonus", for whatever that means. I do think you're right that Tzimisce is the fifth and final regular clan (unless Malkavian's are the Bonus?), but that does lead one more. Going by the pins, both Independent and Giovonni are listed. The "Bonus" could be Independent, as the Bonus does have a pretty normal looking apartment and it'd be a "bonus" since it's a pathway that's not technically a clan.

-Brujah
-Toreador
-Ventrue
-Malkavian
-Tzimisce
-Independent (Clan-less)

I've also read somewhere that more clans will be added as DLC. Nice to see that my people, the Ioveanus clan, are in... Giovanni and Toreador are definitely the "sexy" part the writer was referring to

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I will be crushed if I can't play as a Nosferatu or a Malkavian. Both of those made for some very different playthroughs and are probably my favorite in the first game.

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Oh, yeah in that case I'd love for the Tremere to be back. I want some of that Vampire blood magic.
Cool thing is that we saw that Discipline casting now is animated and articulated with hand gestures, and it actually was like that as well in the first game for Tremere when they cast their spells, until Troyka cut it late in development.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why did they have to announce this the day Sekiro drops? I want to do another run SO BADLY now.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The original Bloodlines is one of the best-written RPGs ever made. It's a cult classic because it's kinda janky and flew under the radar, but the people who love it REALLY love it.

The first game is considered one of the best RPGs ever made, but was a rough diamond that went through a troubled development and released unfinished. Fan patches restored and improved it since but the developer closed soon after the game released and no one ever expected a sequel.

It was a very well written Western RPG designed with decent systems. It was a bit janky, being one of the (if not the first, my memory is hazy) source title.

Thanks for the explanations! Makes a lot more sense now why this blew up so much, it was a bit before my time so it's cool to hear what the fuss is about - now on my radar :)

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I will be crushed if I can't play as a Nosferatu or a Malkavian. Both of those made for some very different playthroughs and are probably my favorite in the first game.
Honestly, I sympathize but if one (or maybe even both) of them being excluded and the clan options being lesser means the available ones are more diversified I'm very okay with it.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
This logic makes a lot of sense. The only question I have, as someone who was more mired in Mage than Vampire, isn't your clan determined by who sires you, like kind of a biological thing almost as much as a social thing? Is it really possible to be a clanless vampire? I'm not sure how the whole siring/ascension process works for vampires.
There are clanless vampires, thinbloods are often clanless: https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Caitiff

Now regarding how you could "pick your clan" I'm also curious if anybody knows how that would work. I thought that was predetermined by your sire as well, with unlucky ones ending up clanless.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

So let me first clarify I'm not expert on the lore of Vampire: The Masquerade, but I will say what I know in relation to this. First, keep in mind our character actually does start off clanless, they're about to be executed for something they didn't do after being freshly turned into a vampire by an unknown culprit, but a fire bombing in the court allows them to escape. Our character actually starts off the game technically clanless, so maybe deciding to stay Independent is a path you can take.

To mention, Independence usually still has vampires group and work together, they do need to work together to survive due to their place in the world, but they are not part of the Sects, but most still do work with the Sects and jobs for them, though usually only within their own territories and within reason.

They're independent since they claim descent from Caine, but take no allegiance to any of Caine's sects. I could see this being a route you can take in Bloodlines 2 especially since you start off and go a period of the game within you have no Sect you're allegiance is too, and maybe can choose to stay that way.

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
There are clanless vampires, thinbloods are often clanless: https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Caitiff

Now regarding how you could "pick your clan" I'm also curious if anybody knows how that would work. I thought that was predetermined by your sire as well, with unlucky ones ending up clanless.
Technically yes. But I read about V5 is that for example Camarilla uses diablerie to induct new members into the sect and associated clans. Maybe this will be one possible way.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I sympathize but if one (or maybe even both) of them being excluded and the clan options being lesser means the available ones are more diversified I'm very okay with it.

I need more sneaking around in sewers because I am a hideous monster in my gaming life. If they take away that than the better give me something interesting in its place at the very least.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Technically yes. But I read about V5 is that for example Camarilla uses diablerie to induct new members into the sect and associated clans. Maybe this will be one possible way.
I can't find a definite source but from Reddit threads etc. I'm also reading that a Thin-blood can diablerize a vampire and becomes a 13th gen vampire of that clan. So that's probably how it's gonna work.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Diablerie is a route for Caitiff and Thin Bloods to gain clan features and be closer to Caine, yes, and it wouldn't be surprising if that's an available route. However, unless sanctioned by the Camarilla or Sabbat, it's seen as high of an offense as breaking the Masquerade. It also changes how you look physically, with black veins appearing on your body, so there's consequences that could make for interesting dynamics in the gameplay.

Ricitor

Oct 27, 2017
Still beaming from the announcement and reading on the some of the early info is really making it work for me. Just checked Steam and I am seriously tempted to just preorder it now considering the South African Steam price is at ~$33 for the Blood Moon edition. I'm worried it might just shoot up over time.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I need more sneaking around in sewers because I am a hideous monster in my gaming life. If they take away that than the better give me something interesting in its place at the very least.
From my casual, Bloodlines-rooted knowledge of VtM, there are interesting aspects of the other clans that weren't done as good as they could've been in 1, so my thinking is Tremere magic could be creepier and awesomer, classic Brujah punching could be more satisfying, and maybe there will be a new cool clan in lieu of both Nosferatu and Malkavian availability. In other words, I think it's possible they can give you something interesting in their place.

Oct 27, 2017
it was in pcgamer preview.

"The developers didn't want to talk specifically about the clans during the demo, only saying they'd reveal more when the game is closer to release. Interestingly enough, more clans will be added to Bloodlines 2 after the game is released."

Wow that is super comforting to hear. Also, like many of you here, I too have started another playthrough of Bloodlines (my 3rd to be precise).

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

-Brujah
-Toreador
-Ventrue
-Malkavian
-Tzimisce
-Independent (Clan-less)

Given that you start Independent, I don't see why that would be a bonus. You join a clan later in the game according to previews, so ideally you can not join a clan

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Wish the original received a remake as well. I want to share in the excitement of everyone in this thread lol will have to buy and play the original off GoG before this releases.

The unofficial patch is the closest thing you'll ever see in my opinion. There's simply way too many webs in that game to untangle to remake it to another system. Like if you combined the list of corrections the unofficial patch has made over the years, I'm pretty sure you'd have a file that rivals Planescape Torment in length. There's just like a million checks and choices in Bloodlines, and I can't imagine someone recreating it all in another engine. It's a nice wish to have though, but at least we can still play it well enough with the patch now.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
The unofficial patch is the closest thing you'll ever see in my opinion. There's simply way too many webs in that game to untangle to remake it to another system. Like if you combined the list of corrections the unofficial patch has made over the years, I'm pretty sure you'd have a file that rivals Planescape Torment in length. There's just like a million checks and choices in Bloodlines, and I can't imagine someone recreating it all in another engine. It's a nice wish to have though, but at least we can still play it well enough with the patch now.

Considering the excitement in this thread, I'm happy enough to play the original. Thanks for letting me know about the unofficial patch.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Blacklight: Retribution was one of my favourite F2P games, but I'm cautious about this studio doing the original VTM justice.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Someone call up Chiasm and Genitorturers and get them to send some new tracks over ASAP

I'm reinstalling this tomorrow. Never in a millions years would I thought a sequel to this coming and in a year no less (give or take)

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What is the best way to play the first game? Modded? If i love story, is there a race or a class i should start with?

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
The original Bloodlines was the first game I remember being obsessed with before the release. I read every preview, every bit of news, I couldn't wait for release and when I finally played it I loved every minute of it, jank and everything. This is truly amazing, it's a tough game to make a sequel to, but they have the talent to do it.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Is there anything wrong with me using a fan patch on the steam version of the first game?
I reaaally want to experience it...mainly becauses I really enjoy the LA By Night show and just heard all the good things about it.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Blacklight: Retribution was one of my favourite F2P games, but I'm cautious about this studio doing the original VTM justice.

4ish years of development and all these big CRPG names involved (that worked on the original) seems like a very hard recipe to screw up IMHO.

Plus this looks to be Paradox's biggest title to publish yet with that big ARG reveal and list of platforms. I think this game's in a great position.