• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which clan are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Brujah

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • Tremere

Votes: 99 23.6%
  • Toreador

Votes: 108 25.8%
  • Ventrue

Votes: 71 16.9%
  • Malkavian

Votes: 99 23.6%

• Total voters

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
15 years, 15 years of waiting. The only things I don't like is Thin Blood and guns being throwaway. Everything else sounds fucking awesome. Already pre-ordered on steam. Let's pop this cherry, kid. Fuck yes.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
oh my god they did bring back the deb of night?!?!??!! someone tell me this shit is going up on youtube i have to hear it oh my goddddddd

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Turns out it might be a misread from Gamespot's peeps, as there is a preview elsewhere that mentions the direct opposite.
That's good to hear. It would have put a nail in the coffin *boom-tish* of the game's moral complexity.

On a similar note, the most important thing any RPG needs to nail is characters that feel TRUE. And I think this gets overlooked when talking about the politics of a game world. For example, the original VTMB's portrayal of vampire hunters was a cartoonish cliche. They tried to kill you, you killed them back. That was really all there was to it. There was no nuance. No feeling that these characters were real people with sincere beliefs fighting for something they believed in. In general terms, vampire fiction has long had a problem with vampire characters who are dicks because, well, because they're vampires. There's been a tendency to shortcut beliefs, history, motivations, etc in favor of "They're a vampire so they're a smug dick that kills people." It's my hope that VTMB 2 features a world filled with characters from all walks of life, varying belief systems, varying day to day (or night to night) perspectives.

Vampire fiction often suffers from vampires being a bizarre stand-in for whatever interest group the writers felt sympathetic towards that morning in the writer's room. A question such as, "Should vampires be exterminated? If we are a vampire, is that a goal we should work towards? Or should we fight to protect vampire kind. Even fight for supremacy over the humans. How should vampires treat humans?"

I really disliked that mission in VTMB where VV sent you to kill that stripper vampire hunter. Maybe I don't WANT to kill the vampire hunter. Maybe I think that vampires careless enough to get noticed by stripper vampire hunters deserve what is coming to them. That should be my choice. It's an RPG after all. I really hope VTMB 2 lives up to that potential. VTMB is the strain of RPG where player self-expression extends to the sides they take on murky issues with unclear outcomes. And the very cornerstones of vampirism are among those issues. In the words of Adam Jensen, "I never asked for this." Yet at the same time, cybernetic implants and being undead are quite different, aren't they?

Those questions get super awkward when writers start using vampires as babby's first interest group metaphor -- I'm looking at you, True Blood. Oh, I just a killed a dude but people are mean to me for some reason. I'm the victim here! Heck, it's the same problem something like Dragon Age had with its Mages as some kind of weird persecuted minority analogy.

"Hi, I'm a mage."

"You're going to do blood magic, aren't you," asks the Templar, eyes narrowing.

"Holy shit! Does the persecution never end?" screams the Mage, as the audience scoffs at the bigoted templar.

*15 minutes, and one blood sacrifice later*

"I had no other option!" whines the mage, "This is totally the Templar's fault because they suspected that I would kill people to use in arcane blood rituals and that made me turn to blood magic."

"This is just like how bombing funerals creates terrorists," muse the writers to themselves as they huff their own farts.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds exactly like what I would have greenlit if I was Fred Wester.
Thanks Fred. Dreamgame. Do not fuck it up.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Seperate. And there's no need to play Redemption whatsoever. Its not great.
They're separate. I'd personally recommend playing Redemption as well (but I'm a huge WoD fan). It has some interesting characters, but none that will be relevant to Bloodlines.
Thanks! I guess I'll just play Bloodlines and save Redemption if I want more of that universe

Redemption is a wonky Diablo 2 clone while Bloodlines is one of the finest WRPGs ever made.
This actually makes me really want to play it haha

May 26, 2018

With third person for some elements, like crawling on walls and such.

And, I imagine, dancing.

AEHy.gif

Deleted member 33382

User request account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I feel like I should preorder on Steam now before it becomes EGS exclusive.

The new pre order incentive lol. I had the same idea and I never pre order.

I don't think I can stomach replaying Bloodlines. It's aged horribly but I have such fond memories I'll be there day 1 for this.

Any news on the engine used?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Thanks! I guess I'll just play Bloodlines and save Redemption if I want more of that universe

This actually makes me really want to play it haha
I have to say, Redemption does have some solid writing and the characters are all really interesting. If you're gonna give it a shot, check out the Age of Redemption mod which fixes a ton of bugs and makes the game way better to play through.

https://e-mods.net/

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
oh man is it time for a group Bloodlines replay?????

Also this is a DIRECT sequel to Bloodlines, right? So did Gahenna not take? Or did it Take but only for a few? Is this nWoD or oWoD or just kinda similar or its own thing? Man i'm excited to find out

May 26, 2018
oh man is it time for a group Bloodlines replay?????

Also this is a DIRECT sequel to Bloodlines, right? So did Gahenna not take? Or did it Take but only for a few? Is this nWoD or oWoD or just kinda similar or its own thing? Man i'm excited to find out

Yup, direct sequel! They mentioned that in the interviews, and that events from the original still resonate in the sequel.

And I know, right?! No Gehenna! How the hell did that happen? It's still the Old World of Darkness timeline! Must've been some big damn vampire heroes.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
The only disappointing bit is that you'll be a thinblood. Correct me if I'm wrong but thinbloods are pathetically weak and don't have many powers right? I hope they're not skimping on vampire abilities here. Everything else sounds great and I'm hyped as hell still, but I'm going to wait to see some actual gameplay before I think about preordering.

May 26, 2018
The only disappointing bit is that you'll be a thinblood. Correct me if I'm wrong but thinbloods are pathetically weak and don't have many powers right? I hope they're not skimping on vampire abilities here. Everything else sounds great and I'm hyped as hell still, but I'm going to wait to see some actual gameplay before I think about preordering.

It's a video game. I'm guessing you won't be a thinblood the whole time. Eventually you'll be pledging your allegiance to the graveyard smash.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
they even said you 'choose a clan', I don't remember how that works in oWoD lore since thinbloods couldn't get to that stage of vampire power without eating an elder

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yup, direct sequel! They mentioned that in the interviews, and that events from the original still resonate in the sequel.

And I know, right?! No Gehenna! How the hell did that happen? It's still the Old World of Darkness timeline! Must've been some big damn vampire heroes.
Old vampires woke up and ate all the new ones

May 26, 2018
they even said you 'choose a clan', I don't remember how that works in oWoD lore since thinbloods couldn't get to that stage of vampire power without eating an elder

I guess you start off as a caitiff, and they can eventually be taken in if they have a sponsor from another clan, IIRC. So you must be given a choice by a variety of characters who have an interest in your survival.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

You only start as a Thinblood, the set-up is you are a fresh vampire and get involved in a fire bombing before any alliances or growth could be formed. They've confirmed there will be two character customization moments in the game, the one at the start for your "human" self, and then a bit later into the game you'll be able to form what class of "vampire" self you are, but be able to make an informed decision based on your time at the start as a thinblood.

So you won't be a thinblood the whole game, you'll just be starting in the weakest possible state and gain power over time, including a bit after the opening stuff choosing the type of vampire you are.

Seth Balmore

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I just woke up and I'M FREAKING THE FUCK OUT I can't believe it's happening it's been so long?????

VtMB is one of my favorite games of all time and I don't think there's any tiny bit of content in that game I haven't seen. I have no words. Paradox you beautiful people. ;_;

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
itshappening.gif Can't believe we'll get the sequel after so many years, I almost feel like crying from joy. :)