• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which clan are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Brujah

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • Tremere

Votes: 99 23.6%
  • Toreador

Votes: 108 25.8%
  • Ventrue

Votes: 71 16.9%
  • Malkavian

Votes: 99 23.6%

• Total voters

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
A game should be released when it's done.

I am ok with this. Means I won't have to juggle it with Dying Light 2.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I'm starting to think that vaping club sexy millennial vampires are probably House Carna Tremere.

Q4ehGBL.png

Also, let's take a moment to enjoy the horrendous, unabated stupidity that is Vampire V5 and its clan lore reset.
V5 has its problems, but House Carna isn't one of them. A Wiccan House sounds badass as f.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
V5 has its problems, but House Carna isn't one of them. A Wiccan House sounds badass as f.
Wiccan Tremere sound rad, but I'm mostly bothered by V5 throwing previous editions under the bus in order to look both edgy and hip. Tremere never had a "hard-coded misogyny" problem. It was known as a clan of witches. Its signature character was a woman, Aisling Sturbridge, and her chantry was filled to the brim with witches.

Framing Tremere as a misoginistic clan rubs me the wrong way. Kind of like how Brujah used to have a "triggered" weakness before some people made a right stink about it, or the thankfully removed references to gay murders in Chechnya (it's all a vampire smokescreen!). Then there's the horror stories and backstage drama about Werewolf.

White Wolf has been fucking up the World of Darkness reboot by handing it to some individuals who seem to confuse "transgressive" with "ow, the edge". I just hope they learned their lessons and let Hardsuit Labs do their thing.

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Wiccan Tremere sound rad, but I'm mostly bothered by V5 throwing previous editions under the bus in order to look both edgy and hip. Tremere never had a "hard-coded misogyny" problem. It was known as a clan of witches. Its signature character was a woman, Aisling Sturbridge, and her chantry was filled to the brim with witches.

Framing Tremere as a misoginistic clan rubs me the wrong way. Kind of like how Brujah used to have a "triggered" weakness before some people made a right stink about it, or the thankfully removed references to gay murders in Chechnya (it's all a vampire smokescreen!). Then there's the horror stories and backstage drama about Werewolf.

White Wolf has been fucking up the World of Darkness reboot by handing it to some individuals who seem to confuse "transgressive" with "ow, the edge". I just hope they learned their lessons and let Hardsuit Labs do their thing.
That I agree with, but let's face it: House and Clan's organization was extremely hard-line, and that's probably what lead to them getting wiped out, so they needed some fresh blood.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Thank god.

I am so happy.

The game was going to DIE sandwiched between ff7 and cyberpunk, let's be honest here.

Now not only do they get to polish it a bit more, they also dodge the RPGpocalypse.

What we had seen doesn't look terrible to me at all, just needs a bit more polish and refining on some animations.

Noooo ? There is only good things that are coming with this.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Am sad, but the added polish plus not releasing in between certain juggernauts in Q1 is fine by me.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Seriously, when it comes to games I'm really anticipating, releasing the game when it's done is the best possible approach I can hope for.

Kudos to Paradox for taking a similar approach.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly glad it got delayed. There's already too much shit early next year.

versus87

Oct 4, 2019
I attended PdxCon last weekend. Here are some stuff that was new to me:
- All Clans that are initially in the game are revealed
- Future Clans will be free DLC
- They implied that `Season of the Wolf` (DLC Season Pass) is the first of DLC Seasons
- Demo that was shown was a Build from March this year so it is not representative of the current state of the game
- In the Goody Bag was a Vampire 2 Cosmetics DLC Code which is valid until 25/09/2020 so they are probably targeting internally a date before that

eddy

Oct 25, 2017

Paradox Interactive and Bloodlines 2 bring you Vein Pursuit, a new tabletop role-playing game vampire chronicle preceding the events of the game.

Bloodlines 2 takes place in the world of Vampire: The Masquerade, the iconic pen-and-paper game that lets you experience the rich universe of the Kindred, in all of its grit and majesty. The Vein Pursuit chronicle offers viewers a glimpse into events occurring before the plot of Bloodlines 2, narrated by World of Darkness Brand Editor and V5 developer Karim Muammar. Starring members of Paradox Interactive, the Bloodlines 2 development team and exciting guests, this group of Kindred will take on a perilous mission, relying on their unique skills and attributes as much as the roll of the dice to survive.

Synopsis:
A group of couriers; some of the most badass Kindred of Los Angeles, has been sent on the perilous journey from Los Angeles to Seattle, tasked with delivering precious and secret cargo to a vampire in the Emerald City. What the couriers don't realize is that betrayal lurks in their midst. However, this isn't their story.

Vein Pursuit follows the perilous journey of the rag-tag band of Kindred who've been sent to save the couriers of the Anarch Free State and see the cargo safely north. On this journey through the backcountry of the West Coast, through deserts and mountains, all their wits and resolve will be tested. Time is running out - it's going to be a hell of a ride!

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I'm running a session of the tabletop rpg tomorrow. My girlfriend is super stoked for this game. I got her bloodlines one to play on my laptop and she loves it.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
Yeah. I didn't know before that either. It's a weird place to announce it! Apparently he's a sociopath who only targets people "on his list" whatever that means.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
Yes and I just ordered the Chicago By Night book as a physical copy. I had an early PDF from the backer kit but I wanted the physical book. So far the game is going great. I am part way through "The Sacrifice" the adventure in the back of the book.
I think Chicago by Night is the best V5 sourcebook yet, very excited for the upcoming vampire religions book though. Anyway, glad your Chronicle is going well. :)

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
So I've been replaying OG Bloodlines now that we all have ample spare time and whatnot and something that struck me is how SEEDY it is. Like, there's a whole nasty, sleazy thing going on that it's not seen in any modern game that comes to my mind, and it's kind of bothering me that Bloodlines 2 may ignore it because it *is* to some degree a product of its era, when everything had to be edgy and in your face because that's how the horror genre was.

Just in the first few hours of gameplay you were introduced to folks suffering from substance adictions, clinically disturbed homeless people, human trafficking, snuff tapes, dehumanizing body modifications, entrapment that resulted in all kinds of life-destroying events for innocent characters, good old slavery and the list goes on and on. No matter where you looked at, everything was fucked up and gross and hopeless, more Requiem for a Dream meets Blade than, let's say, Vampire Diaries.

Much of this general ugliness and the accompaining tone of despair was codified in the original World of Darkness universe and books and I feel like it's no longer present in the new "Millennial V5 Edition" (I'm at the intersect of Millenials and Gen X, so allow me), but it's also lost in today's popular culture, where everything seems to be clean and devoid of anything that could be constructed as legitimately repulsive. And looking at everything we've seen so far, I feel like Bloodlines 2 may also be a product of our current era. Which is to say, one that is very different from the old game's.

Bit of a necrobump for a low value post, I know.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
First of all, I feel like the LA setting was a big part of that. "The dark side of all the glitz and glamour" and all that. Would that apply to Seattle to the same degree? Probably not, and what is there would be more hidden and less "in your face" .

Secondly, we haven't see all that much of the game yet, and they've got a good set of writers.

Thirdly, Cyberpunk's recent ratings news and the hubbub around TLOU2 shows that there's enough demand for "mature themes" in games, so I doubt Hardsuit Labs will pull too many many punches.

Last edited:

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
You know that "hot summer night" vibe you get from late-night LA? Bloodlines has that. It's crazy how atmospheric it is even with those limited graphics.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been replaying OG Bloodlines now that we all have ample spare time and whatnot and something that struck me is how SEEDY it is. Like, there's a whole nasty, sleazy thing going on that it's not seen in any modern game that comes to my mind, and it's kind of bothering me that Bloodlines 2 may ignore it because it *is* to some degree a product of its era, when everything had to be edgy and in your face because that's how the horror genre was.

Just in the first few hours of gameplay you were introduced to folks suffering from substance adictions, clinically disturbed homeless people, human trafficking, snuff tapes, dehumanizing body modifications, entrapment that resulted in all kinds of life-destroying events for innocent characters, good old slavery and the list goes on and on. No matter where you looked at, everything was fucked up and gross and hopeless, more Requiem for a Dream meets Blade than, let's say, Vampire Diaries.

Much of this general ugliness and the accompaining tone of despair was codified in the original World of Darkness universe and books and I feel like it's no longer present in the new "Millennial V5 Edition" (I'm at the intersect of Millenials and Gen X, so allow me), but it's also lost in today's popular culture, where everything seems to be clean and devoid of anything that could be constructed as legitimately repulsive. And looking at everything we've seen so far, I feel like Bloodlines 2 may also be a product of our current era. Which is to say, one that is very different from the old game's.

Bit of a necrobump for a low value post, I know.
Have you seen the film Bliss? It would scratch that itch for "grimy scuzzy vampire tale"

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta critique the characterization of v5 as being a big departure from the original's focus on personal horror, because many regard it as being a return to such themes.

It was the early editions, after all, that sleepwalked into the "Vampions" era with their secret Antediluvian-worshipping Black Hand faction inside the Antediluvian-hating Black Hand (already secretive) inside the Sabbat; the secret Inconnu faction imprisoned in a castle trying to avoid the Jyhad while sticking their noses into everything; Vicissitude being a contagious alien disease from outer space; too much uncritical "goodguy"ing around clans and bloodlines like the Salubri and Serpents of Light; the splats having a truckload of reasons to work together against new horrors from space and the underworld like a superhero mashup; hunger, blood, and the beast being a more aspirational RP element without much mechanistic teeth... and v20, for all its praises, kept those elements for the sake of being "complete".

v5 refocused back onto the horror at the expense of a lot of that power fantasy distraction. Blood isn't a pool of mana points you top up without too much care or impact, it has emotional resonance that can be hunted, extorted, or farmed depending on the levels of depravity the given vampire has sunk to. Hunger is always threading the line between safety and disaster at the hands of a beast that wants to take blood, take charge, and force its will upon the world now. Touchstones and stains are a continual reminder of how far you can fall and the costs in doing so, whatever your convictions may be, and a further reminder of the vampire's frailties and pressure points; what can hurt them no matter how many dots in Fortitude and blood potency they can bring to bear. It's a wonderful (and harrowing) edition to play, because there's constantly so much at stake, so much to lose. You're a horrific monster, powerful, but what you grapple with is no less powerful and horrific.

Last edited:

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
First of all, I feel like the LA setting was a big part of that. "The dark side of all the glitz and glamour" and all that. Would that apply to Seattle to the same degree? Probably not, and what is there would be more hidden and less "in your face" .

Secondly, we haven't see all that much of the game yet, and they've got a good set of writers.

Thirdly, Cyberpunk's recent ratings news and the hubbub around TLOU2 shows that there's enough demand for "mature themes" in games, so I doubt Hardsuit Labs will pull too many many punches.
The thing is, Bloodlines never quite showed the glamorous side of LA with the exception of two particular mansions*. WoD's modern timeline is a generally a pretty shitty universe to live in. Not as hardcore as Kult's, but pretty scummy in its own way, as if the world lived in a perpetual state of crisis and negativity. So it is not like it was really confronting both worlds.

*that Michael Mann-like Sabbat mansion where they filmed their snuff was fantastic.

Have you seen the film Bliss? It would scratch that itch for "grimy scuzzy vampire tale"
Noted. Thanks.