• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like this response, but maybe you're holding it wrong?
I have two of them and the bumpers barely require any force to activate. You should be using your index fingers and pressing them on the outside edge of the button with the inside of your finger. You should not be using your fingertips to press the button.
I do agree that it could be better if the paddles required less force.
I was hoping for a second revision of the controller which used force sensing rather than physical button clicks for the touchpads, similar to Apple's notebooks have now. I believe there was a prototype board shown which implied that this is the direction they were headed.
I don't actually mind the amount of force required, except if you were trying to use it as a d-pad in a game where that is the primary input, and have it set to a click-type d-pad rather than touch. Then I run into issues with it releasing as I move my thumb around.
I've tried every which way to press those bumpers and have them click in more easily. They don't require a PAINFUL amount of pressure or anything, they just take a lot more than in used to with any other controller I use (Switch, DS4, XB1).
My super unscientific test of just slowing pressing and increasing pressure, the Steam Controller seemed to take at least 3x the pressure, and that's at the easiest point to press it.

One thing I'm hoping for with this second controller is that maybe later units have better bumpers.

I agree that a Rev 2 would be cool if it had more granular touch sensitiviry on the pads. Clicking those huge pads in always felt a bit clunky to me.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I bought one for $30 and used it for Undertale and Resident Evil 0.
It doesn't really fit with a lot of games I play, but it's a nice little thing. Will definitely use it some more until it dies.
As long as the Controller Mapping features remain it all works out.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
How well does this controller do with menu/hud heavy games like Civilization or Paradox ones?
It basically have two laptop like touch pads designed for thumbs and gyro. It's very accurate when manipulating cursors. Someone mentioned "bring back roller ball", well you can simulate a rolling ball with these pads. The haptics feedback give a sensation that something is rolling and gradually slowing down depending on the friction you set for it.

At the timestamp I'm starting with gyro cursor activated. Then I move to track pad cursor. You can tell it took me a second to adjust to the speed and sensitivity. And this is just me messing around with it, I had the controller for a month at this time sticking to using it for whatever game I could, training to take advantage of Steam Input + the features of the controller. If timestamp didn't work @1:56

Gyro cursor aiming feels like pointing a pencil at something. There's no waggle or huge movements, just tilt and move, imagining you're pointing a pencil, or rather a laser pointer at your screen from a relaxed position and your wrist on your lap. If you make too big of a angle change you'd be pointing at the roof or something. For touch pad (and gyro among a ton of the other controller's features) the settings are highly tweakable to your comfort. It's best to look up youtube videos of people that put out guides for them like "Red Gaming" and "ExistentialEgg."

Last edited:

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I told you to stop thinking with a classic mentality and briefly explained you why in the same reply you're quoting
No....

You're on some zen shit. I'm saying any controller with a bad dpad is not a good controller. They should add a dpad to the revision instead of the terrible analog stick they had. I don't care that you can use a shortcut menu if there is no fucking dpad lol.

Jun 2, 2019
No....

You're on some zen shit. I'm saying any controller with a bad dpad is not a good controller. They should add a dpad to the revision instead of the terrible analog stick they had. I don't care that you can use a shortcut menu if there is no fucking dpad lol.

And i told you to stop thinking on the philosophy of classic controllers since that's not what the steam controller ever was

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
How well does this controller do with menu/hud heavy games like Civilization or Paradox ones?
I played EU4 with it via my Steam Link once and it worked surprisingly well.

I've had one since it launched and had no idea it had gyro. I don't think I play any games that would benefit from it though, that I wouldn't just use my M+KB with.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Dpad, so primitive.

tumblr_p4cff5SGbU1qjx6n6o1_500.gif

I kid. I still like a good Dpad, but I've adjusted to the more comfortable left touch pad that don't do anything to my thumb after hours of Street Fighter commands. The small face buttons are what screw me on SFV.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Is it better than an Xbox controller? And if so, why?

Gyro aim for one, but you can get this on any controller with a gyro. Xbox controllers are the only ones that don't have this. Grip buttons on the SC are separate rather than just remapped like they are on the Xbox Elite Controller.

Other than that, sky is the limit to how you can configure it. For example for Witcher 3 I configured the right touchpad to cast spells when I held one of the grip buttons, which allowed me to basically never use the wheel menu during combat so I was better able to use the spells at the exact right moment. The right touchpad is very good for moving the viewport around or using as a mouse cursor. Analog sticks are by design not precise no matter what so the touchpads have a big advantage there but there is a definite learning curve and you need to be willing to take the time to tune it to your preferences. Then it becomes the best controller on the market.

Oct 27, 2017
In my Dragon Age Inquisition setup I use the left pad for movement. I just find for long sessions the pad is less work. It's definitely less work for fighting games, I used to get bruised thumbs on Dual Shock d pads.

--------------------------------------------------
Oh my gosh, you can buy multiple controllers to be shipped in one package. No shipping cost saved.

bq4ojowu60141.png
If you add Steam controller skin, shipping for additional controllers costs much less.

Did I miss this, but I can't add more than one controller to the cart? Even with the skin, the shipping is $12. Is this right?

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
Sold out on the italian steampowered page :( any workaround? Apparently people can still buy it in other countries

Last edited:

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
It's basically THE controller for mouse heavy games.
It basically have two laptop like touch pads designed for thumbs and gyro. It's very accurate when manipulating cursors. Someone mentioned "bring back roller ball", well you can simulate a rolling ball with these pads. The haptics feedback give a sensation that something is rolling and gradually slowing down depending on the friction you set for it.
(snip)

I played EU4 with it via my Steam Link once and it worked surprisingly well.

I've had one since it launched and had no idea it had gyro. I don't think I play any games that would benefit from it though, that I wouldn't just use my M+KB with.

Cheers guys!

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
If you add Steam controller skin, shipping for additional controllers costs much less.
doh!

I ordered 2 and payed twice the shipping...

Did I miss this, but I can't add more than one controller to the cart? Even with the skin, the shipping is $12. Is this right?
Yesterday evening (euro time) you could add several controllers to your order via the Steam client, but they seem to have removed that option now.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Had mine for years. Thought it was a cool idea but never got it to work well enough for me, I'm sure if I'd put enough time into it I for have found a use but never did.

I envisioned playing Civ 5/6 on the sofa but even with community configurations that did work well it was still just not worth it for me, just didn't find it enjoyable to do.

Jun 2, 2019
Seems like it's sold out already here too.

Thank God I looked Era in the bus on my way home (Usually i just play with my Switch)

For 15 € of delivery it should come home fast, but the controller itself was 5€ so I'm not complaining.

BTW there's another thing this controller is great for: Wii Emulation!

Set the pointer to gyro, use the paddles as modificators for different settings and switching controllers and works like a charm

Requires Dolphin to go through Steam though, at least at the time I tested it. I wonder if they added native compatibility...

Last edited:

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I actually enjoyed it most when playing Doom 2016 and Dark Souls games, more than say strategy games where I much prefer a mouse. That fast/rollerball-style camera movement just felt good. Also got some nice macros set up for FFXIV. It's a super cool toy when it clicks with you.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Well, guess i'll try it for a few bucks. Never really sounded like a good controller but i'll give it a shot for couch PC gaming.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Man good thing I woke up early and bought this thing. I have no real use for it, but for 5€, I've got nothing to lose.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Best controller for shooters, especially when you add gyro. Playing horizon zero dawn and the game would be amazing with a steam controller.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Really sad if this means no v2 in the works. The Steam Controller is amazing once you get your head around it, and unfortunately that was a barrier too high for most.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Sold out in UK too. Gutted, I've had one in the past and I really liked it, hopefully they make a follow-up one eventually.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It sounded too futuristic to begin with. Other than working on VR, Valve's hardware decisions has not resulted fruit. (this and Steam Machines)

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Grabbed it! $12 after shipping, even if I don't end up liking it much it will still be nice to have as a curiosity/piece of gaming history.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I really hope that if they are designing a V2 that they up the polling rate of the right trackpad even though it's already quite high, I love the controller for FPS games but it never feels silky smooth like a mouse does even at high framerates, you can see the incremental movements.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
They have patented a new controller around 1 year ago based on the current scheme but posting "See! Told you! ITS A FAIL!" is apparently more fun

Well, y'know, people hating on a controller they never touched. Because they're scared that horrible thing known as right stick might die.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Reckon I could get this in the Australian Steam store? Of course not, it just links to EB Games where it's full price :/

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, y'know, people hating on a controller they never touched. Because they're scared that horrible thing known as right stick might die.
Don't forget the "It should've had a right stick and a d-pad... like every other controller!" posts, ignoring the fact that the Steam Controller had very specific use-cases where the right stick and d-pad have already been proven to be lacking on.

Not saying the Steam Controller is perfect - there are many games where I prefer the Xbox One Elite - but it is a damn fine controller and the ignorance around it is hilariously sad.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I guess I gotta remind people that Valve did patent some stuff that makes it look as if Steam Controller 2.0 was a thing:

I think force sensing pads, bumpers, and (4) grip buttons were options, which almost seems overkill considering what the controller can already do. Even with all that though, I don't think it'd be capable of emulating a right joystick well. I say add all that other stuff, then replace ABXY with a 2nd stick because all the new stuff could easily handle ABXY functionality anyways.

Oct 25, 2017
I think force sensing pads, bumpers, and (4) grip buttons were options, which almost seems overkill considering what the controller can already do. Even with all that though, I don't think it'd be capable of emulating a right joystick well. I say add all that other stuff, then replace ABXY with a 2nd stick because all the new stuff could easily handle ABXY functionality anyways.
Why the mcfukken would you want a right joystick?
The left joystick is useless enough as it is on the Steam controller!

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Why would you want a second stick ?