• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria

Today on Valve News Network, we take a look at a recent talk conducted by longtime Valve employee Kerry Davis on his career in the games industry and Valve, as well as some of the very first official information on the "Flagship VR title" a.k.a. HLVR, or Half-Life VR. Enjoy.

• It's a game that they are working on.
  • They are already proud of it.
  • It will release, 100%.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what timeframe will this be set on. HL1? In between 1 and 2? HL2? Post-HL2 Episode 2????? I'm sadly going to guess Resistance fights of Episode 1.

At any case, VR or not, more Half-Life world is more than okay.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what timeframe will this be set on. HL1? In between 1 and 2? HL2? Post-HL2 Episode 2????? I'm sadly going to guess Resistance fights of Episode 1.

It's apparently a HL2 prequel featuring Alyx, or so he says (not in this particular video)

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
  • It will release, 100%.
u0KQCqI.gif

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017

In an older VNN Video he said it was set prior to Half-Life 2 in or after the seven hour war and your were playing as Alyx, although maybe that changed?
But there's definitely supposed to be stuff thats still from Beta days of HL2 put into the canon, like for example the cremators or the air exchange.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
In an older VNN Video he said it was set prior to Half-Life 2 in or after the seven hour war and your were playing as Alyx, although maybe that changed?
But there's definitely supposed to be stuff thats still from Beta days of HL2 put into the canon, like for example the cremators or the air exchange.
My secret hope, although completely unlikely is that the sources telling VNN this story setup are Valve employees who just wanted to steer people off what's actually going on, and that the game is actually Half Life 3. One can dream.

Still, I'm super excited that Valve are exploring locomotion and definitely realize that full-body physics models are the way forward for 1st person VR.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So excited.

Haven't tried to mess with it, but the Half Life 2 on Steam has a 'Virtual Reality' option in the settings - what was that intended for? Surely that doesn't work with the Index?

Last edited:

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind franchises trying new things, but having a silent character is a must for me.

HL basically redefined videogame storytelling. No need to deviate from that unless they've found something equally fresh.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's apparently a HL2 prequel featuring Alyx, or so he says (not in this particular video)
That sounds pretty fun!

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Like you play as her? That sounds neat. It'd be interesting to play as a non-silent protagonist in a Half-life game.
I find the idea interesting as well, it's just weird that it's happening in a VR game.
It would be weird if a voice came out of you thats not your own while you are immersed in the game world.
On the other hand the 2 times in the Half-Life series that we didn't play as Gordon Freeman, we were Barney and Adrian Shepard and both of those were silent too, even though Barney is voiced in Half-Life 2.
Granted, the 2 expansions were by Gearbox and not Valve.

My secret hope, although completely unlikely is that the sources telling VNN this story setup are Valve employees who just wanted to steer people off what's actually going on, and that the game is actually Half Life 3. One can dream.

Still, I'm super excited that Valve are exploring locomotion and definitely realize that full-body physics models are the way forward for 1st person VR.
I would be kinda upset that the sequel to a game I've been waiting like a decade for would be only playable in VR.
Maybe I should finally save up and get a Headset but still, even if it's supposed to be one of the most ambitious VR games, it kinda limits the customerbase.
SO I would rather have it be a side story or something like that, even if I would defnitely want to get aeround to play it someday.

On topic of the thread:

D O O R S

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find the idea interesting as well, it's just weird that it's happening in a VR game.
It would be weird if a voice came out of you thats not your own while you are immersed in the game world.
On the other hand the 2 times in the Half-Life series that we didn't play as Gordon Freeman, we were Barney and Adrian Shepard and both of those were silent too, even though Barney is voiced in Half-Life 2.

VR has the ability to let you really step into someone's shoes so it could work in that regard if they try to go for full immersion. Like seeing her body when you look down, hearing her internal monologue, fully playing her role in this story rather than a quantum leap type thing where everyone calls you by her name but she's silent so you can insert yourself instead. It'd be an interesting and immersive experience if it works but I could see an outcome where it instead falls super flat and is just awkward.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Yup.

I'm sure it'll be a masterpiece. And also inaccessible to 99% of the Steam audience.
Although more than 50% of the Steam audience has a VR ready PC, so they just need to buy a headset at that point. The chicken & egg problem is well known and Valve are attempting to fix it, though of course in usual gamer fashion I'm sure the same people saying 'Give me AAA VR games if you want me to buy in.' will reject that Valve are making a AAA VR game in a popular franchise.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this just remake of half life 1 in VR?
Or is it half life episode 3?
Or is it a spin off of half life that has nothing to do with half life 1 or 2?

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Is this just remake of half life 1 in VR?
Or is it half life episode 3?
Or is it a spin off of half life that has nothing to do with half life 1 or 2?
It's a new game. Valve aren't interested in doing remakes/ports for their 3 in-development VR games as confirmed by Gabe back in 2017.

Rumors suggested a prequel to HL2.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Yeah, it's happening. I've known in my gut since the Lab came out over 3 years ago. Paradigm shift taking place, I've been there since day 1.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Really? A prequel to 2? Why didn't they just make this half life 3
A VR HL3 would have to be executed one of two ways.
  • VR exclusive: it would boost VR adoption and let Valve innovate with the toolset, but that's probably not enough reason to justify the negatives (pissed off fans, slower return on investment)
  • VR optional: it'd be praised by many, but it would restrict Valve from freely exploring VR's potential (since every section would have to be beatable with mouse and keyboard).
By going with a HL2 prequel now, they get to scratch a creative itch all they want, build up a proficiency with the tools, and give the market and the tech time to hit more significant milestones.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I keep thinking that Boneworks is a Half-Life project. Maybe it's the crowbar, or the emphasis on physics, or the everything.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe a new half life of some kind is coming out and hardly anyone is talking about it, this thread isn't even past 1 page

All those years of half life jokes now one is finally here and all I hear is crickets

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind franchises trying new things, but having a silent character is a must for me.

HL basically redefined videogame storytelling. No need to deviate from that unless they've found something equally fresh.
I know this is blasphemy but I think Gordon Freeman being a silent protagonist is one of the worst things about those games (granted I haven't played all of them completely). I think it would be extra jarring and off if we play as Alyx. I just really don't like silent protagonists in story centric games that revolve around them unless there's a canonical reason they're mute.

Oh this thread was all rumor? I thought valve actually said their flagship vr game was half life lol

Still either way I'm surprised this thread isn't even past 1 page with this news
There's really not any solid news. I haven't watched the video but, from summaries of the talk I've read, all he really confirmed was that the new VR game they're working on (which may or may not be HL lol) has doors that you can open.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I always figured it would be Barney we play as in a Seven Hour War story, depending on how this plays out i suppose that could still remain true.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
HL3/Epi. 3 was my most anticipated game for years and years until I finally just had to stop hoping for it to save myself more and more disappointment every E3.

A prequel would be fine I guess, but I'm almost never as big of a fan of prequels as I am for sequels, and if they required expensive VR equipment just to play it would pretty much mean I wouldn't even play it.

That Half-life 3 story leak from the old writer about 2 years ago was enough closure for me from the HL series.