• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
www.gamesradar.com

Valve's digital card game Artifact "reboot" is so large, it's internally being called Artifact 2, says Gabe Newell

Gabe Newell says Valve was "surprised" by digital card game Artifact's failure, but says the team isn't calling it quits just yet

Edge reports that, internally, the follow-up to Artifact is being referred to as Artifact 2, though it's unclear if this will be a full blown sequel, a No Man's Sky-style comeback, or something else entirely, but Newell stresses that Valve has "to do a larger reboot in order to justify its existence to customers and to markets."

I actually really enjoyed the Artifact that released, just ended up dropping it because no one was playing it, which is kind of necessary in a multiplayer game. I really hope they can pull it off this time.

Update:

steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Artifact Classic :: Under Construction

First off, we wanted to say thanks for all of your tweets, emails and posts. The continued interest in Artifact has been encouraging, and we sincerely appreciate all of the feedback! You might notice some changes soon – we are starting tests on our systems and infrastructure. This shouldn’t...

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
VR Yugioh where instead of Alyx's gloves you have a Duel Disk

rBkOKpz.gif

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Selfishly I'd want them to spend those resources elswhere but nice for the 10 Artifact fans I guess

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
> Biggest gaming flop by Valve in a long time
> Let's give it a sequel

Big brain time.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I hope they double down on the BOARD game nature, as Legends of Runeterra already ate their lunch for a hero-based CCG (and is killing it there).

I also hope they give me some big ass reward for buying Artifact at launch and owning all the cards like a dumbass.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm repeating myself, but make it F2P Valve.
Either this should happen, or they should stick with purely a one time fee. Maybe paid DLC of big expansions later, but still one time fee for those.

Artifact had two major issues IMO:

1. Poor communication of it's business model. The way it made things sound, was that you had to pay money/use a ticket to play constructed or draft AT ALL, but that wasn't true. That was only for playing the ones where you could win card packs. There were constructed and draft modes you could play for free as many times as you wanted.

2. Treating a digital CCG like a physical one. I understood their desire to do this, but I think there's still the issue that it is a digital CCG. At first they weren't going to do balance changes to already-released cards, and only address those issues through new cards. They ended up going back on this, and quickly nerfed Drow and Axe as well as some other cards. They treated buying the base game as buying a "starter pack" of a physical CCG, such as Magic the Gathering, and then you had to buy other cards or win them using the tickets. They added a progression system after launch where you could earn packs, but this hit a cap where you would stop earning packs eventually.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
> Biggest gaming flop by Valve in a long time
> Let's give it a sequel

Big brain time.
There is good value for devs to take a good hard look where things went wrong and try again. I don't see anything wrong with it
learning from mistakes is a good thing and its def a game that could be done far better, so why not give them the chance to do so.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
U WOT? why not make a better left 4 dead. Portal. Literally. Anything. BUT ARTIFACT?
Because Valve makes what they want and doesn't have to make everything you demand. Half-Life Alyx looks like an excellent game, and no one "asked for" a VR Half-Life (although they were asking for Half-Life period).

I think Artifact was an excellent game too, just marred by some issues that caused it's player base to drop off.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
There is good value for devs to take a good hard look where things went wrong and try again. I don't see anything wrong with it
learning from mistakes is a good thing and its def a game that could be done far better, so why not give them the chance to do so.

Look at Siege - if devs commit, they can turn around a GaaS to a certified megahit.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Please make it work this time

But I still think they should ditch the DOTA skin. DOTA as an IP isn't capable of attracting new players for a long while.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

But I still think they should ditch the DOTA skin. DOTA as an IP isn't capable of attracting new players for a long while.
Auto Chess attracted a ton of people to Dota 2, and Underlords for a while, but I admit the Underlords playerbase is hemorrhagging a bit.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
The game flopped because it wasn't F2P. There was a lot of praise for the core gameplay except that games take too long. Streamlining stuff and making it F2P would eradicate most of the criticism.
I think even the game length thing was something that fell off quickly and became a lot shorter once everyone started understanding the game. The game length early on was from everyone not understanding everything about the game and still learning how to play it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I think even the game length thing was something that fell off quickly and became a lot shorter once everyone started understanding the game. The game length early on was from everyone not understanding everything about the game and still learning how to play it.
Even better then. I think there is still a lot to salvage from the failure that Artifact was.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

They really, really do. DOTA has such an unappealing art style and does nothing for the game. The champions feel like knockoffs.

Reskin the whole thing to sci-fi or a fresh new IP plz.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
They really, really do. DOTA has such an unappealing art style and does nothing for the game. The champions feel like knockoffs.

I disagree with that and love the designs of the Dota heroes.

All the lore stuff in Artifact was amazing and I really wish that even if the Artifact reboot never comes to fruition, they bring that to Dota 2 somehow. All the stuff of getting the fully voice acted lore readings when you open card packs was a really neat touch, and there were so many of them. I never heard the same one twice when opening packs.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Honestly, it was clear why it failed.

I mean look at Hearthstone, it has a story mode. It has events where you can earn cards.

Also at the beginning the only way to earn cards besides trading or straight up buying packs was to win 3 games in a row in a mode you had to use a currency on.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

I mean look at Hearthstone, it has a story mode. It has events where you can earn cards.

Also at the beginning the only way to earn cards besides trading or straight up buying packs was to win 3 games in a row in a mode you had to use a currency on.
Hearthstone didn't have a story mode at launch until the adventure packs started releasing.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I disagree with that and love the designs of the Dota heroes.

All the lore stuff in Artifact was amazing and I really wish that even if the Artifact reboot never comes to fruition, they bring that to Dota 2 somehow. All the stuff of getting the fully voice acted lore readings when you open card packs was a really neat touch, and there were so many of them. I never heard the same one twice when opening packs.

The lore stuff was very well done, no doubt. Keeping the game in-lore? You are a member of that faction that is PLAYING the game? Genius.

But the actual DOTA itself lore always feels way less appealing than something like League to me.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is a great example. Siege devs have worked hard to get it into such a good place
I largely agree with the sentiment - there are a number of really notable games that turned things around in a huge way - but... were Siege numbers ever as bad as "119 players in the past 24 hours"? That's where Artifact's at right now, and it does make me wonder.

yes champions do feel like knockoffs
Oh, you.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Auto Chess attracted a ton of people to Dota 2, and Underlords for a while, but I admit the Underlords playerbase is hemorrhagging a bit.

Yeah, it's still steadily popular, but long past its prime. When they lauched Artifact Rebirth or something, DOTA's popularity will decrease even more. Unless DOTA 3 happens

Agree. I want Valve to explore new worlds.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I largely agree with the sentiment - there are a number of really notable games that turned things around in a huge way - but... were Siege numbers ever as bad as "119 players in the past 24 hours"? That's where Artifact's at right now, and it does make me wonder.

Agree - but note, they are referring to this internally as Artifact 2, when it is simply a complete overhaul.
How Valve messages this will be crucial, along with how they address the core failings of the game itself.

I think its great that they are taking this approach, no doubt again with a minuscule team - so no idea why people conflate this with "do L4D3"

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
The lore stuff was very well done, no doubt. Keeping the game in-lore? You are a member of that faction that is PLAYING the game? Genius.

But the actual DOTA itself lore always feels way less appealing than something like League to me.
So I'm guessing your a league player, which ever game you play is going to have a massive effect on which universe appels to you.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017

I don't think the game was ever meant to compete with Heartstone. Runeterra is competing with HS, Valve went straight for the hardcore audience, too bad even Magic now has a F2P version so... ouch.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So I'm guessing your a league player, which ever game you play is going to have a massive effect on which universe appels to you.

I played about 60 hours of both DOTA 2 and LoL years back to see which game I wanted to play more of.

League is just more my style - brighter, compelling cast of characters with a lot of personality vs the dour, generic vibe of DOTA. Almost like MCU vs Snyder DCEU.

yes champions do feel like knockoffs

seriously - they felt like "the wizard" , "the orc" it's pretty whack

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'm hoping for VR support, the multiboard nature makes it a perfect fit.

1. Poor communication of it's business model. The way it made things sound, was that you had to pay money/use a ticket to play constructed or draft AT ALL, but that wasn't true. That was only for playing the ones where you could win card packs. There were constructed and draft modes you could play for free as many times as you wanted.
The payout structure for the ticketed modes was garbage too, which also contributed. They also assumed that people give a shit about draft modes in the first place, which they clearly didn't.

U WOT? why not make a better left 4 dead. Portal. Literally. Anything. BUT ARTIFACT?
People (including myself) dropped money on cards only to have the game die within three months. If they don't reboot the game despite repeated promises of long term support, their fanbase will rightfully be pretty pissed.