• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
www.engadget.com

Valve wants cities to bid on hosting The International

Cities that have lost out on bids to host the Olympics or other big events may have another opportunity to shine. Valve Software is soliciting bids from "host cities" to put on The International -- the annual Dota 2 championship and one of the top esports tournaments. Today, Valve issued a...

Cities that have lost out on bids to host the Olympics or other big events may have another opportunity to shine. Valve Software is soliciting bids from "host cities" to put on The International -- the annual Dota 2 championship and one of the top esports tournaments. Today, Valve issued a request for proposal (RFP) document, shared by Polygon, that asks cities to throw their hats in the ring as potential hosts for next year's tournament.

According to the proposal, "in terms of global viewership, international draw, and attendance, The International is comparable to the NFL Superbowl, U.S. Open Golf Championship, or the Eurovision Song Contest." Historically, the event has drawn between 50,000 and 60,000 unique visitors, Valve says. Vancouver, Seattle and Shanghai have hosted in the past, and Stockholm will host this year.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
I guessing they want to use the money to raise funds for that Artifact tournament.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
According to the proposal, "in terms of global viewership, international draw, and attendance, The International is comparable to the NFL Superbowl, U.S. Open Golf Championship, or the Eurovision Song Contest."

The international had 1.4M viewers and the Super Bowl 114M. Eurovision had 180M.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Just the realization that corporate America strikes again and that local taxes are paying for something useless instead of the local economy. Yes, this has a potential to have a little boom, but it's a gamble.

It really isn't, The International has been big for local areas and is just like any relatively decent sized con which all do big bucks for there areas. People kinda have to bring money to buy hotels/food/local stuff.

Again like my previous post said, AnthroCon (furry con) gave Pittsburgh nearly 9 million USD to its local economy in 2018 as it's grown. Even when it was much smaller it gave Pittsburgh's local economy 5.7 million USD in 2015.

The International is several times larger than AnthroCon in visitors.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
it brings in a lot of people and a lot of money

giphy.gif

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
The ESC got its figures for the tournament from the total hours watched by viewers on both YouTube and Twitch.
Sounds like bullshit. But yeah I was looking at the peak viewers during the finals, much like the Super Bowl and the ESC. Even then if you take the complete tournament with questionable methodology and compare it to just the finals, it's not even (close to) half.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
If they have the data to back up their claim of positive income for a city, I'm sure a city will do exactly that.

I mean, everything from small cons to the olympics show that influx of visitors=influx of cash from those visitors. Hotels, restaurants, tourist hotspots, as well as locations some distant away all see an uptick in revenue. The only issue is matching the demographics of visitors to the city - would TI visitors care about, say, walking along the peaks in Yorkshire, visiting Whitby, as well as hanging out in a University town with pubs and clubs, like Sheffield?

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
I think this has way more to do with KeyArena unexpectedly being out of commission through next summer most likely? it's going to be at least one year late, which leaves the NHL team in a heck of a quandary.

Oct 26, 2017
If they have the data to back up their claim of positive income for a city, I'm sure a city will do exactly that.

'Wish they'd do this every year': The International Dota 2 Championship a boost for Vancouver tourism

vancouversun.com

'Wish they'd do this every year': The International Dota 2 Championship a boost for Vancouver tourism

As world's best Dota 2 players duke it out at The International championships here businesses are also fighting for share of tourism dollars

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the olympics, that basically excludes third world countries then

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people acting like this is a bad thing? From what I've gathered it's just them saying:
"If you (city) has venues and hotels of this capacity and a gigabit connection to the main venue, send us a message and we'll consider hosting in your city"
The city isn't bribing Valve with millions of dollars, neither are they going to build wildly expensive stadiums just for the event, like the Olympics.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, everything from small cons to the olympics show that influx of visitors=influx of cash from those visitors. Hotels, restaurants, tourist hotspots, as well as locations some distant away all see an uptick in revenue. The only issue is matching the demographics of visitors to the city - would TI visitors care about, say, walking along the peaks in Yorkshire, visiting Whitby, as well as hanging out in a University town with pubs and clubs, like Sheffield?

In recent years there have actually been a lot fewer cities making bids for the Olympics because hosting the games often results in a net loss. Rio lost $2 billion on the last Summer games. Sochi made a profit, but it was only a 0.1% return on investment. That's worse than what I get in my checking account.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
In recent years there have actually been a lot fewer cities making bids for the Olympics because hosting the games often results in a net loss. Rio lost $2 billion on the last Summer games. Sochi made a profit, but it was only a 0.1% return on investment. That's worse than what I get in my checking account.

I was about to point it out

Right now it can be a net gain because cities don't have to pay/bid for it

If « bidding wars » were to happen I'm prety sure very few cities would actually see a return on investment

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

It's a gaming tournament. They're not building out entire stadiums to host The International. There are cities all over the world that are already 100% equipped to handle The International.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Just the realization that corporate America strikes again and that local taxes are paying for something useless instead of the local economy. Yes, this has a potential to have a little boom, but it's a gamble.

Yep, we'll know esports have really "made it" when they start getting their own bullshit tax breaks from cities and states. It'll take them a long time to top FIFA, who take all revenues out of the country tax free and set up their own tribunals to dispense FIFA law.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

It's a gaming tournament. They're not building out entire stadiums to host The International. There are cities all over the world that are already 100% equipped to handle The International.

I was about to say... Sheffield hosts the Snooker World Championships, and it's held just in The Crucible Theatre. Even a large-scale LAN tournament is closer to a snooker tournament than the Olympics.

Fake-edit:
World Snooker branding masks the Crucible Theatre from the outside and a huge screen has been set up in Tudor Square, where fans can to soak up the sunshine and watch the action.

The Peace Gardens have also been transformed with pictures of the sports top players – including Ronnie O'Sullivan - donning the Surrey Street entrance.

Inside, the BBC TV studio is set up as part of the Cue Zone.

From: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/oth...nooker-world-championship-gets-underway-39926

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Seattle and Shanghai have hosted in the past, and Stockholm will host this year.
Kinda surprised that people usually forget that the first International was held in Cologne, Germany during the 2011 Gamescom.

Other than that: makes sense for several cities to bid onto hosting a TI for various reasons like reputation and the toursim. See Katowice in Poland for example.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wait a international happening in my city.

Come to São Paulo, valve. Our politicians are willing to bride you as much as you want.