• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jrpl

Nov 20, 2017
http://blog.dota2.com/2019/05/dota-auto-chess/

Different from Team Drodos Mobile & Custom map

"We had great conversations, but we both came to the conclusion that Valve and Drodo could not work directly with each other for a variety of reasons. We ended up agreeing that we'll each build our own stand-alone version of the game, and support each other to the fullest."

"As for us, with Drodo's blessing, a group of people here at Valve are currently working on a standalone Dota version. We'll share more information about this soon."

Last edited by a moderator:

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling
Finally Valve is making games like they used to do.

Elliot Pudge

Oct 25, 2017
auto chess is amazing and having a proper PC version with matchmaking / rankings / valve polish will be phenomenal

really great news for auto chess fans

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We had great conversations, but we both came to the conclusion that Valve and Drodo could not work directly with each other for a variety of reasons. We ended up agreeing that we'll each build our own stand-alone version of the game, and support each other to the fullest.
As for us, with Drodo's blessing, a group of people here at Valve are currently working on a standalone Dota version. We'll share more information about this soon.
Bizzare af.

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
I started playing with some friends like 3-4 days ago, really fun to mess around.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the main issue that stopped them from working together was the long distance. Usually Valve offers the teams to just come work inside Valve, but when these people are from China it can't be easy to do.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems that it's a win-win for both sides. Drodo gets to make their "official" mobile version and help in organising account transfers, while Valve has permission to make their own fork using the Dota 2 IP.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

GuyFive

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope they go fully cosmetic and not pay2win for unit levels ala Clash Royale. Have played 150 hours of DAC since I learned about it and just can't quit.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems that it's a win-win for both sides. Drodo gets to make their "official" mobile version and help in organising account transfers, while Valve has permission to make their own fork using the Dota 2 IP.

Yeah. I'm glad it went smoothly for both parties. The Dota stuff was a shitshow between Valve and Blizzard so this is nice to see by comparison.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wish Drodo had signed on but excited to see what comes of this. Also, as much as I love the characters and aesthetic of Dota 2, I wish they weren't using the Dota theme, as Valve hasn't released anything Dota unrelated in 7 years (Jesus Christ).

This is obviously Dota Underlords. I'm guessing they'll show it off at TI and release in December 2021, a year or two before the first of their "three full AAA VR games" is released.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish Drodo had signed on but excited to see what comes of this. Also, as much as I love the characters and aesthetic of Dota 2, I wish they weren't using the Dota theme, as Valve hasn't released anything Dota unrelated in 7 years (Jesus Christ).

This is obviously Dota Underlords. I'm guessing they'll show it off at TI and release in December 2021, a year or two before the first of their "three full AAA VR games" is released.
They absolutely need to do VR

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm guessing the main issue that stopped them from working together was the long distance. Usually Valve offers the teams to just come work inside Valve, but when these people are from China it can't be easy to do.

Yeah that's the only thing I can think of that would've stopped Valve from going like 'ay let's let it rock'

It sounds like they worked something out for Drodo to hand stuff off?

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame Valve has become so creatively bankrupt, literally just ripping off another game for their next "hit".

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
I'm not sure why there needs to be a third version. I'd prefer they'd update the Dota arcade experience instead so its not absolute garbage.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I really hope they go fully cosmetic and not pay2win for unit levels ala Clash Royale. Have played 150 hours of DAC since I learned about it and just can't quit.
While they do sometimes get slightly uncomfortably close to the line, their playerbase is incredibly vocal and they react very quickly to any concerns. Their line is accepting absolutely nothing even resembling any advantage whatsoever, just for context.

In any case it will be absolutely nothing like a mobile pay to win game.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
That's a bizarrely cordial post. We always knew they didn't want to work with Valve, so I would guess they paid Drodos some cash and they'll focus on Mobile while Valve sticks to PC.

It's a shame Valve has become so creatively bankrupt, literally just ripping off another game for their next "hit".
How is it ripping off when they have permission

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off, stealing assholes
"As for us, with Drodo's blessing, a group of people here at Valve are currently working on a standalone Dota version. We'll share more information about this soon."
548636754740248586.png

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This announcement is weird.

Kinda doubt Valve will go mobile with this which means the original guys have an advantage to me.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
valve get flamed for making original game like artifact
valve get flamed for taking mods and fully fleshing them out

cant ever win with the valve haters
That's a bizarrely cordial post. We always knew they didn't want to work with Valve, so I would guess they paid Drodos some cash and they'll focus on Mobile while Valve sticks to PC.

How is it ripping off when they have permission

Let's be honest, if it were a press release for Hi-Rez studios making this game there'd be a whole lot more criticism of the fact that they just taking an established hit game and copying it.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest, if it were a press release for Hi-Rez studios making this game there'd be a whole lot more criticism of the fact that they just taking an established hit game and copying it.

It's a mod for their game that their users are playing in large numbers, this would be a stupid business decision to pass up on their part.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Tons of Valve's employees are modders, makers etc. Most games they have made has either come from those people or been taken on by Valve and vastly improved upon. Everything from HL to Portal to CS, TF, Dota, and stretching all the way into their software efforts - constantly iterated on. This is no different.
But sure, Valve are lazy devs and creatively bankrupt