• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
well that's great. i cant wait to watch a twitch stream or something and get my fill of the story from it. shame i wont be able to play it tho.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
So...

A sequel to Half Life 2: Episode 2 is coming after this, right?

What a better way to prepare the inevitable huge focus on Alyx in HL3/EP3 then a prequel playing her.

Right?

Right?

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
You get to the end, it fades out and then back in and you're piloting a helicopter through Arctic skies. You briefly look at some photo of Eli or some other keepsake of Half-Life: Alyx after reminiscing, then you look through the windshield and see the Borealis appear in the ice on the horizon.

Alyx says "We're here. You ready?"

A door opens behind you and Gordon walks out, looks you dead in the eye, and nods.

Cut to credits.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I think it's understandable - 100% of people who've played and love the half life games did not play them VR and probably only a small minority of said people have access to a VR headset. Given we've waited 12 years for anything half life related, at least I certainly didn't hope for it to be on a platform I didn't own and have no intention of owning. Valve in many ways helped to define PC gaming and now their key series is not playable on a standard PC.

That said, these threads shouldn't fill with people like me whining about it. The game looks incredible, I just can't at this point see myself investing in VR on the basis of it, much as I adore the series.
☝🏻
word.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
This at least tells me that they have writers again which was one of many reasons why Half Life 3 never moved forward supposedly.

This isn't true either - outside of Laidlaw, who retired, and Chet Falisek- who also had insight on the game but left to start his own indie studio, Pinkerton and Wolpaw remain, in addition to new ones, Campo Santo's folks like Chris Remo, and consulting writers such as Rob Yescombe.
It's more surprising how low turnover is at Valve, with staff still there over 2 decades later

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't true either - outside of Laidlaw, who retired, and Chet Falisek- who also had insight on the game but left to start his own indie studio, Pinkerton and Wolpaw remain, in addition to new ones, Campo Santo's folks like Chris Remo, and consulting writers such as Rob Yescombe.
It's more surprising how low turnover is at Valve, with staff still there over 2 decades later

Looks like Wolpaw left a few years ago?

I guess if we're looking to be technically accurate, it looked like Half Life was dead because all of the original writers left the company.

Unless that article and the thread I vaguely remember from however many years back were just completely off base.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Looks like Wolpaw left a few years ago?

I guess if we're looking to be technically accurate, it looked like Half Life was dead because all of the original writers left the company.

Unless that article and the thread I vaguely remember from however many years back were just completely off base.

Wolpaw never left - as he explained himself - he was still consulting while he wasn't needed and had input on Psychonauts 2. Then he "went crawling back to Gabe" in his own words, after working for his daughters "Juice" business. Only Erik can make this much sense

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I understand that, but in that case, I would rather call it "another part of the story", not "the next part", you see what I mean?
"While it does take place before the events of Half-Life 2, we actually recommend that you play through Half-Life 2: Episode 2 before you play Half-Life: Alyx, for reasons that will become clear as you progress."

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I understand that, but in that case, I would rather call it "another part of the story", not "the next part", you see what I mean?
"While it does take place before the events of Half-Life 2, we actually recommend that you play through Half-Life 2: Episode 2 before you play Half-Life: Alyx, for reasons that will become clear as you progress."

Exactly, but also it is not unheard of to have a narrative arch occuring before events of a story, that are required for understanding the rest of the narrative that unfolds. For all we know, both could occur in this game or be key to informing a subsequent release.

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The next part of the Half-Life story happen before Half-Life 2 ?

My guess would be that they want to restart the universe and put people on a path that when they come out with the other 1-2 HL games they probably have planned it'll all make sense. There is no way they're making Half life Alyx and then stopping.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, but also it is not unheard of to have a narrative arch occuring before events of a story, that are required for understanding the rest of the narrative that unfolds. For all we know, both could occur in this game or be key to informing a subsequent release.
*Cough* Metal Gear
:)

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
VR seems to be integral with it's design, why are people upset? VR finally has a real AAA killer app

Because motion sickness is a real thing. And there's no way for me to tell if VR is going to make me motion sick (which it likely will) without actually buying an expensive headset as I know of no one who owns one that I could try. And if I do end up getting motion sick, then I'm SOL, I guess.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is G-man is reviewing Alyx's memories or something of that nature and there will be a glimpse at the future of the timeline

Jun 26, 2018
Piss off, valve...

I'm not gonna buy an expensive VR headset just for you to disappoint me, guess I'll read about instead or something, once it's out... (if it comes out, lol)

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
So we are basically looking at Half-Life 2.8 by Kingdom Hearts standards.
I'm so excited for this game, but I'm even more excited to see how it will move forward the entire plot of the HL universe.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if its some time travel bullshit about going back and changing the timeline.

Thus writing themselves out of ever having to deliver on the ending of Episode 2.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The graphics look so great for a VR game thanks to Source Engine 2. I can't wait for a full game non VR game using this engine. It gonna look epic. But by limiting this to their Index VR they gonna limit its sales and the potential people interested in it especially that index is really very pricy.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Piss off, valve...

I'm not gonna buy an expensive VR headset just for you to disappoint me, guess I'll read about instead or something, once it's out... (if it comes out, lol)

Tell me how you really feel rofl

Yep, that's about all I can say to that lol.

I lived to see the next installment in the Half-Life franchise.

Let's hope we can make it to launch!

*Cough* Metal Gear
:)

Yeah I'm aware. Though I wouldn't derail too much by delving into examples!

The graphics look so great for a VR game thanks to Source Engine 2. I can't wait for a full game non VR game using this engine. It gonna look epic. But by limiting this to their Index VR they gonna limit its sales and the potential people interested in it especially that index is really very pricy.

It isn't limited to Index despite being designed together with it:
LPLTRws.jpg

Graphics wise, seeing how this resolves in VR is going to be amazing. The Portal Lab demo is already a good example, where the attention to detail visible at the macro level in VR is so good, and isn't obvious in video capture. HL:A looks set to be the same

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Not gonna lie, got emotional when seeing that trailer and hearing this news.

For the new kids around here, the importance of Half LIfe and it's sequel cannot be exagerrated. People may talk less about these games outside the HL3 memes, but going back 10 years these games were ROYALTY on boards, and with merit.

Jul 10, 2018
I don't think it makes much sense to build this world in a new engine and use it on one game only. Half-Life 3 will come from this, we just need to wait longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.