• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
youtu.be

The State of VR and The Oculus Quest Highlight

Today on Valve News Extra, The VR war is over. Edited by spzi: http://bit.ly/SpziYT My E-Mail : [email protected] Twitter : https://twitter.com/valvene...

I post because I feel like his rant sums up the situation pretty well. Even ignoring Facebook for a moment, people write this off as a gimmick because of the price. Tyler has finally used it and has seen the truth. Quest 2, regardless of price, is top end PCVR (with Virtual Desktop) and doesn't really have any competition at the moment.

OP
OP
1-D_FE

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
If it matters, it's highly likely it's going to be jailbroken fairly soon:

readyhackerone.com

Defending the Right to Repair for XR | Ready Hacker One

What is the Right to Repair? Will you buy a device, knowing, if you did something to better understand the functionality and investigate the flaws in it, it will be rendered useless? While options exist to repair the device, possibly even Do it Yourself (DIY), the manufacturer terms dictate that...

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It's the best VR device no one should ever buy

Is there any actual evidence of this data being collected and sent to Facebook or are we tinfoil hatting here. As someone who's worked extensively with their ad platform I struggle to see Facebook collating / using data on my height, hand size etc for anything other than informing general data based decisions for their future devices.

This is the same thread and guy which created the blowout of news about them not allowing multiple devices per account which was a misinterpretation of the support response in regards to what we tend to refer to as 'family sharing'.

I dislike FB as much as the next guy but I also strongly don't believe in spreading bs.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH

readyhackerone.com

What is the Right to Repair? Will you buy a device, knowing, if you did something to better understand the functionality and investigate the flaws in it, it will be rendered useless? While options exist to repair the device, possibly even Do it Yourself (DIY), the manufacturer terms dictate that...

When its jailbroken I wonder if you'll still be able to use ReVive to play Oculus PCVR games? That'd be funny.

Not a fan of Tyler McVicker stuff. Followed him for the first time leading up to the HL: Alyx launch and he seemed pretty self-absorbed...like yay, you called Alyx in 2017, who cares. A bunch of us had that hunch after a trail of clues Valve was giving, but you felt the need to rub it in people's faces to prove that your channel was legitimate.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
That thing could do my taxes every year and mow my lawn every week and I still wouldnt touch it with a 10 ft pole. And Im not usually one to be jumpy about data collection but holy SHIT there is a line man. Theres a line. Facebook being garbage on top of that makes this an easy pass.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any actual evidence of this data being collected and sent to Facebook or are we tinfoil hatting here. As someone who's worked extensively with their ad platform I struggle to see Facebook collating / using data on my height, hand size etc for anything other than informing general data based decisions for their future devices.

This is the same thread and guy which created the blowout of news about them not allowing multiple devices per account which was a misinterpretation of the support response in regards to what we tend to refer to as 'family sharing'.

I dislike FB as much as the next guy but I also strongly don't believe in spreading bs.
I personally think it would be extremely naive to think they will just sit on all that super useful data and do absolutely nothing with it.
They might not collect it right now, but do you really think a company as scummy as facebook would let that data just sit there?

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

www.newscientist.com

Anonymised data isn't nearly anonymous enough – here’s how we fix it

It's too easy to identify people in supposedly anonymous personal datasets, but there are ways we can protect our privacy, says Yves-Alexandre de Montjoye

Giving Facebook this data means they can figure out who people are even if the data is "anonymous".

And that's totally legal, because anonymous data isn't protected like personal information.

You think Facebook isn't going to use this to further identify prospective marketing opportunities, and I have a bridge to sell you.

This is a data goldmine and using Quest 2 will give them the keys.

Nah.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

readyhackerone.com

If that really happens and I can only use it as a PC headset, I'd.... probably do it. I would love to have a wireless headset that does not use facebook, even if I lose my Quest purchases.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
www.newscientist.com

It's too easy to identify people in supposedly anonymous personal datasets, but there are ways we can protect our privacy, says Yves-Alexandre de Montjoye

Giving Facebook this data means they can figure out who people are even if the data is "anonymous".

And that's totally legal, because anonymous data isn't protected like personal information.

You think Facebook isn't going to use this to further identify prospective marketing opportunities, and I have a bridge to sell you.

Nah.
this, and this data will become even more valuable as eye tracking will become a mainstream VR/AR feature

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How is Quest 2 if you don't have a PC to connect/stream from?

Still a good piece of tech (besides Facebook)?

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm hoping someone else will join this market segment soonish.
Wasn't there a headset announced for this year that featured inside out tracking and was backed by Valve in some form?

Oct 28, 2017
I am so so glad I didn't sell my Rift S earlier this year. It's the best gaming investment I have made since my day one Switch.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping someone else will join this market segment soonish.
Wasn't there a headset announced for this year that featured inside out tracking and was backed by Valve in some form?
HP reverb G2 I think that was, pretty good headset, but not standalone, 599 I think it is.
www8.hp.com

HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

The ultra-light, ultra-immersive HP Reverb G2 VR (Virtual Reality) headset delivers a more immersive, comfortable, and compatible experience. Learn more here.

OP
OP
1-D_FE

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has become a referendum on Facebook, but I do have a couple of questions:

Do people here really not use any Facebook products? And do you block all Facebook scripts (and associated scripts on your devices). This is a place that'll laugh at the "Boomers" who use Facebook, and then brag about how their gen uses Instagram or some other Facebook owned shit. Like there's any damn difference.

Personally, I didn't before Quest 2. I didn't have a single Facebook account for any of their large portfolio of services (aside from an Oculus account I created from the DK2 days and which I used for Quest 1). I also block all their scripts and don't let their ads appear on any on my devices. I suspect that puts me in the small minority among Reset.

The main purpose I wanted to create this thread was because I felt Tyler was like a lot of people here who talked about how the tracking was inferior or the latency was a deal breaker. And I just wanted to post a video of someone who subscribed to all the talking points, then had his mind blown when he actually saw where the product actually stood.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I personally think it would be extremely naive to think they will just sit on all that super useful data and do absolutely nothing with it.
They might not collect it right now, but do you really think a company as scummy as facebook would let that data just sit there?

Unless I'm mistaken we've not even seen signs of them even collecting and pinging back such data. By that same mentality all VR headset manufacturers could be collecting the same data and as such we should hold them to the same standards.

FB's ad targeting options most certainly don't include anything of the kind right now. In fact their targeting options have dramatically lessened since the data protection blowout.

www.newscientist.com

Nah.

Again completely presumptuous. We can throw mud at them for scummy things or legitimate signs of concerning things but that doesn't mean we should then just invent scenarios as true and talk about them as they're a given fact.

I'll reiterate that I'm not a fan of Facebook but we can't start spreading speculation as fact because of a predisposition. Once they show genuine signs of using my hand size to sell me a specfic pair of gloves then I'll be concerned.

This thread has become a referendum on Facebook, but I do have a couple of questions:

Do people here really not use any Facebook products? And do you block all Facebook scripts (and associated scripts on your devices). This is a place that'll laugh at the "Boomers" who use Facebook, and then brag about how their gen uses Instagram or some other Facebook owned shit. Like there's any damn difference.

Personally, I didn't before Quest 2. I didn't have a single Facebook account for any of their large portfolio of services (aside from an Oculus account I created from the DK2 days and which I used for Quest 1). I also block all their scripts and don't let their ads appear on any on my devices. I suspect that puts me in the small minority among Reset.

The main purpose I wanted to create this thread was because I felt Tyler was like a lot of people here who talked about how the tracking was inferior or the latency was a deal breaker. And I just wanted to post a video of someone who subscribed to all the talking points, then had his mind blown when he actually saw where the product actually stood.

I had almost written off my personal interest in VR until a few weeks back when I started looking further into the Quest 2. I was pretty put off by the FB ties but was pulled in by the tech and my curiousity for all gadgety things.

Now that I'm using the device - it's some pretty superb tech. It's a huge step up from the CV1 Rift I had prior. Image quality is far superior and using this thing in my living room cable-free over Virtual Desktop to play Phasmophobia, with voice chat, shockingly flawlessly is like some kind of VR wizardry.

Last edited:

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Facebook is a shitty company but honestly it's not enough to put me off getting one of these. Like, so what if they know I'm 5'9". I'm genuinely not concerned about that at all.

Vexed

Jul 23, 2018
Not sure what he's on about with the Amazon hype thing, just checked both Most Wished and Best Sellers and the Quest 2 isn't even in the Top 25 of either

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
HP reverb G2 I think that was, pretty good headset, but not standalone, 599 I think it is.
www8.hp.com

HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

The ultra-light, ultra-immersive HP Reverb G2 VR (Virtual Reality) headset delivers a more immersive, comfortable, and compatible experience. Learn more here.

Exactly, that was it! It's still not on the market, right? If this turns out great, I might sell my Index and use something like this instead.
I love the controllers on the Index but I just don't use it because it's such a hassle to set up.

On Topic - on the Hardware side, the Quest 2 is exactly for me. I don't use VR often, I wanna use it spontaneously with friends and sometimes on PC and sometimes standalone. But the way it is now, I'll gladly pay more if someone else fills this niche. Even if I use some of Facebooks services out of convenience or necessity, I don't wanna trust them with any more information then I already have. And I don't wanna support them by paying them money either.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless I'm mistaken we've not even seen signs of them even collecting and pinging back such data. By that same mentality all VR headset manufacturers could be collecting the same data and as such we should hold them to the same standards.

FB's ad targeting options most certainly don't include anything of the kind right now. In fact their targeting options have dramatically lessened since the data protection blowout.

Again completely presumptuous. We can throw mud at them for scummy things or legitimate signs of concerning things but that doesn't mean we should then just invent scenarios as true and talk about them as they're a given fact.

I'll reiterate that I'm not a fan of Facebook but we can't start spreading speculation as fact because of a predisposition. Once they show genuine signs of using my hand size to sell me a specfic pair of gloves then I'll be concerned.

I had almost written off my personal interest in VR until a few weeks back when I started looking further into the Quest 2. I was pretty put off by the FB ties but was pulled in by the tech and my curiousity for all gadgety things.

Now that I'm using the device - it's some pretty superb tech. It's a huge step up from the CV1 Rift I had prior. Image quality is far superior and using this thing in my living room over Virtual Desktop to play Phasmophobia, with voice chat, shockingly flawlessly is like some kind of VR wizardry.

Why do you think Facebook bought Oculus at all in the first place? A company which main business is to sell out our data, buying a tech company that can provide so much info from individuals that is not even funny.

You can't be that naive.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I have to agree with this...

While we should all be concious (and careful!) of our data and privacy, some of these suggestions are openly wild. I too work with Facebook's ad platforms and have put thousands and thousands of pounds into targeted ad campaigns (for business, not for my posts about my cat) and have never seen (or wanted?) anything to do with 'your height, hand size, what your looking at, how fast your moving, a point cloud of your room, how your body moves in general'(?!)

Facebook already knows where you live and what your interests are by what brands you like and interact with on actual Facebook or by the account you've linked to your home console to share your screenshots etc. The value of ad companies knowing 'your hand size', 'how fast you're moving' or 'how your body moves in general' seems not very important.

Last edited:

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big data corporation which previously went to court for improper data gathering practices surely won't do it again!

Oct 27, 2017
I fail to find that glove selling scenario scary. I'm on Facebook and I still use it for social reasons, and I can't remember ever buying something from a Facebook ad.

If you're aware of FB (and others) shady practices, you can choose to react to them how you want. Don't you trust your brain? Are you going to buy a pair of gloves because Facebook told you so? And even if you do, if it's perfectly suited to your weird hands and you choose to buy them, isn't it... fun to have gloves that fit in your hands? As long as It's not reading your mind or listening to your conversations, what's the problem here?

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
They could give away the headsets for free and I still wouldn't get one. FB can go die in a fire.

fetus8

May 21, 2018
Colorado

I do not use any Facebook products, period. Deleted my actual Facebook account back in 2015, my instagram in 2018, and never touched Whatsapp.
I run lockdown on my iOS devices to block all Facebook tracking, and run a PiHole on my home network to Block their stuff there too.

I built a new PC in the run up to HL: Alyx's release, and intially wanted to pick up a Rift-S, but ultimately decided that I wouldn't use anything that Facebook owns. I picked up a HTC Vive Pro due to being impatient and not wanting to wait for an Index. 7 months later, I am still happily enjoying all the benefits that SteamVR and PCVR has to offer, free of any Facebook nonsense.

OP
OP
1-D_FE

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I do not use any Facebook products, period. Deleted my actual Facebook account back in 2015, my instagram in 2018, and never touched Whatsapp.
I run lockdown on my iOS devices to block all Facebook tracking, and run a PiHole on my home network to Block their stuff there too.

I built a new PC in the run up to HL: Alyx's release, and intially wanted to pick up a Rift-S, but ultimately decided that I wouldn't use anything that Facebook owns. I picked up a HTC Vive Pro due to being impatient and not wanting to wait for an Index. 7 months later, I am still happily enjoying all the benefits that SteamVR and PCVR has to offer, free of any Facebook nonsense.

And I can definitely respect this. I just feel when it comes to Oculus, a lot of people in glass houses are throwing stones. You're not one of them.

My real point in the OP, though, was just my annoyance with some people's talking points about how inferior the actual experience is. It's the only reason I would even post such a hornet's nest here.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just disappointed in the fov, 120 degrees should be like the standard for any headset by now and the fov in quest 2 is actually a few degrees less than quest 1

it's the reason I'm not buying it and hoping quest 3 has more fov

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
How is Quest 2 if you don't have a PC to connect/stream from?

Still a good piece of tech (besides Facebook)?
I have one and I don't use a PC with it. It's awesome. I love it and I wish I could just lock myself in an empty room filled with hot pockets and diet coke and play all day (unfortunately wife, kids and a job don't allow this). I have an original HTC vive hooked up to a beefy PC at my job that I can use and I prefer the Quest 2.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Eh, the Quest 2 is a stopgap solution until Valve inevitably makes a wireless Index 2. Im good with the current Index for now, which has better FOV, higher refresh rate, and finger tracking controllers.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I have to agree with this...

While we should all be concious (and careful!) of our data and privacy, some of these suggestions are openly wild. I too work with Facebook's ad platforms and have put thousands and thousands of pounds into targeted ad campaigns (for business, not for my posts about my cat) and have never seen (or wanted?) anything to do with 'your height, hand size, what your looking at, how fast your moving, a point cloud of your room, how your body moves in general'(?!)

Facebook already knows where you live and what your interests are by what brands you like and interact with on actual Facebook or by the account you've linked to your home console to share your screenshots etc. The value of ad companies knowing 'your hand size', 'how fast you're moving' or 'how your body moves in general' seems not very important.
Just speaking words of caution here. They might not track it now, but the potential amount of data a single headset can transmit Realtime is worth a lot of money to a company like Facebook and they have never shown to be particularly transparent.

Don't be shocked if it gets leaked a few years from now that facebook actually uses that data to drive more targeted ads and sells it to other companies

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Why do you think Facebook bought Oculus at all in the first place? A company which main business is to sell out our data, buying a tech company that can provide so much info from individuals that is not even funny.

You can't be that naive.
In my opinion Facebook bought Oculus because of the potential of where the market was (and could still be) going. Oculus were at the forefront of a huge new technology and are by far still the leading brand in this market. They're pushing the VR space harder than anyone else. When tech penetrates mainstream and becomes successful there's a hell of a lot of money to be made.

I personally (and this doesn't mean it's correct) believe the firm saw a huge opportunity for the market and diversifying the business to prevent it being a one trick pony. Facebook as it stands is primarily an advertising company, as is Google. Google also purchase a ton of tech companies to diversify their revenue streams, very seperate from any kind of data avenues.

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
I love the quest 2. Don't really care about the FB aspect. Not because it doesn't matter, but because we're to far down the rabbit hole...

The vr and sensory based data they will get over time when combined with the standard sources they already mine for analytics is going to open potential doors they can't even see yet.

What they will be able to extrapolate in conjunction with who knows what kind of future algorithms they will eventually come up with is going to make for interesting times...

Right now Facebook and the online social structure itself is moving more towards creating behaviors, thought patterns, etc. then simply capitalizing on existing ones...

That is what's so dangerous. Instead of taking advantage of what you already do they are going to be highly equipped to shape what you do and what you believe. They already do so to an extent.

Here's the general flow...

Learn as much about human behavior, our nervous system, and associated feedback loops, etc. in relation to how the mind and body function in all aspects of the digital space and interfacing.

With that data, they can start downstream with kids, preteens, young adults, etc. in setting up environments optimized to increase the statistical likelihood of certain outcomes.

Those outcomes can be anything, thoughts, actions, interactions, etc.

This doesn't mean they will do anything "wrong" or "bad" per'se, but they are building a foundation to have the ability to do "things".

They sell it to themselves on the premise that it's to make things easier or better in however way they define that.

It's both fascinating and terrifying at the same time in my opinion...

Edit: regarding VR data, to reiterate, it's not so much what data they get and what they learn from a single user, but the data they get and what they learn over time from many users and then how that information can be extrapolated and expanded on.

Last edited:

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Mainstream users don't give a shit that it's made by Facebook. In fact, it may actually be a selling point compared to any other VR headset included their older Oculus-only branding. Facebook is a very well known and trusted brand to the average mom and pop buying these for the holiday.

Guy mentions that in the video. These are gonna fly off shelves. There's no competition in the space and they're putting serious real actual money behind developers for it.

WRC

Oct 28, 2017
So, I mean I understand privacy but, here I am with a Quest 2, with a real FB account not used in like 5-6 years, not posting or doing anything with the account only login to Quest 2, and playing game, so what data FB is getting from me?

when I log in an play some games, maybe location?(idk)

who the fuck cares? that data is private to me, and if sold to other companies whatever, I don't use facebook but Quest.

Google is getting muuuuuuhch more valueable info a single time me using google maps(And that happens 1-2 times a month).

So I don't see that super problem, but its an opinion.

Also fuck facebook, The device should work without facebook account. Period. Waiting for that jailbreak.

Oct 27, 2017
Facebook is a shitty company but honestly it's not enough to put me off getting one of these. Like, so what if they know I'm 5'9". I'm genuinely not concerned about that at all.
You're giving hundreds of dollars to a company that is destroying democracy and even enabled genocide.

I don't know what the point of this thread is or why OP thinks anyone cares about VNN's opinion. But I guess we just really to promote their product?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Today. Facebook is currently trying to sell me '6 magnets for £4' and a pair of All Saints shoes that I already bought so if some data helps them market something to me that I actually want then I'm gonna consider that a win here tbf.

Mistwalker

Oct 27, 2017
www8.hp.com

HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

This is what I've been waiting for, and it's finally about to launch.

The Quest 2 seems to be a fine piece of hardware for the price, but fuck Facebook. Logged in for the first time in over a decade just yesterday to finally delete my FB account.

You're giving hundreds of dollars to a company that is destroying democracy and even enabled genocide.

I don't know what the point of this thread is or why OP thinks anyone cares about VNN's opinion. But I guess we just really to promote their product?
Yeah, the premise of the thread ("Hey all, let's ignore the Facebook stuff for a second, people have written off the Quest 2 as a gimmick but it's the real deal!") when no, let's not ignore the Facebook stuff, and reviews have almost universally praised the device as a massive upgrade over the first and great entry into VR (again, Facebook shenanigans aside). What outlet/people have been dismissing it as a gimmick?

And to everyone saying the information collected isn't worth being bothered by giving it to Facebook: it doesn't matter if it's valuable to you, it's valuable to them, and they use the resultant resources as a platform to--among other problematic things--undermine democracy.

Last edited: