• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Some slides (same as posted to steam topic)

FEe4TVC.jpg

px4nTpp.jpg

9YvjLux.jpg

MRCWhaw.jpg

nmr0sJi.jpg

#ALWAYS_DOUBLE_CHECK
4K0O0Zc.jpg

uCNe84T.jpg

mXXSdWQ.jpg

cNkjjvD.jpg

jyym08x.jpg

rVht8c9.jpg

5spCCsx.jpg

S16ga99.jpg

1c0lxgk.jpg

jwEg0XS.jpg

rsUxnNA.jpg

RKZYBW1.jpg

ABfkqLD.jpg

J3DrsXv.jpg

TcQVngV.jpg

1ibfAUx.jpg

J549ERk.jpg

Pwb5Sjm.jpg

pmFxrZe.jpg

p9jeImq.jpg

Quasicat

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I haven't bought a game on Steam in a long time and Steam is bloated and confusing now. I wonder if I even need Steam anymore...
I totally agree with this comment. I only opened the Steam client recently to play Doki Doki Literature Club. The last time I used it was over a year ago.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with the achievement system?

It's bare bones and half-assed. There's very little if any features or sorting options to them beyond viewing global stats, no way that I know of to look at hidden achievements, too easy to cheat and unlock them all. Plus they go the xbox route of only having a flat percentage of completion tied to games so you can 100% a game but as soon as its dlc comes out your 100% goes down to 80 or whatever unless you buy the dlc and complete that too. At least on playstation you can get the platinum trophy and that's always displayed next to your percentage so even if dlc ruins it people will know you still completed it.

It'd be nice to at least have a dedicated section to achievements under your name on the client, like where badges and the activity feed are. I can't in good faith expect them to start giving me steam wallet credit for achievements like sony's doing with trophies right now but having a dedicated section for them like on the other platforms would be a good start.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
It's terrible. A complete afterthought, and easily cheated too.

I doubt many care that they're easily cheated. Achievements are really only for the player. Nobody cares about anyone elses. The narcissists in us like to think they do, but not really. Only time I've ever cared about anyone else is when someone on my friend's list (obviously) used an unlocker to spam my activity blog with hundreds and hundreds of achievements. I was not impressed, In fact, it so annoyed me (on many levels) that I removed him from my friends list. Other than that, I could care less. Valve only cares about achievements because they're an effective form of viral advertising (on the activity feed).

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Maybe they will merge the two UI's into one UI, one UI to rule them all.
I mean you can use BPM with a mouse just fine even though it's obviously not its main goal and lacks certain features of the desktop UI.
If they started the design from scratch I could see them at least trying to unify the two.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"we don't sell ad space"? Uh I didn't expect that. I always thought those big banners for big launches were paid for.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good thing. The current implementation of BPM is extremely clunky and I hate using it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I use BPM almost everyday. I think it works pretty good. A new one would be nice though.

OP
OP
GameZone

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Bah. I'm so sick of "Valve Time" and their total lack of transparency regarding the Steam client. The Desktop app has been the same pretty much since 2007.

This is the result of not having any competition. Origin is for EA games, Uplay for Ubisoft games, Microsoft wishes, but ends up half assed.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thankful for whoever continue to make improvements to Steam Controller API. I love the new Action Layer, and constant button press feature. Man I love this controller.

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
At this point I don't want to hear what Valve is working on. I want to hear what they've done. Since they're always "working" on something regardless.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are they seriously going to make a new big picture mode before they update the desktop UI to support freaking DPI scaling

Why doesn't the biggest PC gaming storefront work properly on 4k and 1440p displays/high DPI displays in general? It's downright ridiculous

Yes but I am pretty sure you can agree with me on this: They getting two(!) different big picture UIs out before implementing DPI scaling on the main UI is ridiculous

This just showed up on the beta client:

4bd7a91e4f.png

Does this resolve the issue?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I really care about right now is the lack of multiple tags - its making discovery a real pain when you're going through your own library.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
This is the result of not having any competition. Origin is for EA games, Uplay for Ubisoft games, Microsoft wishes, but ends up half assed.

Also between the revenue they make on Steam, TF2, CSGO and DOTA2 they have effectively unlimited money so they just don't have the pressure to ship content or updates like other companies.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Maybe 2018 will be the year they finally show off one of their VR games.

Speaking of Valve games, I still firmly believe Stars of Blood -- a "space pirate" FPS -- has been or will be rebooted as a Source 2 title. Not that I'm expecting it this year either way, but 2018 would be a great time to capitalise on the hunger for an MP-oriented sci-fi FPS as Bungie seems intent on pissing away any and all of its goodwill with non-apology after non-apology for the myriad of questionable design decisions in Destiny 2, there's a giant question mark over how player-friendly the monetisation will be in Anthem, and Star Citizen is still firmly in alpha.

Last edited:

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Speaking of Valve games, I still firmly believe Stars of Blood -- a "space pirate" FPS -- has been or will be rebooted as a Source 2 title. Not that I'm expecting it this year either way, but 2018 would be a great time to capitalise on the hunger for an MP-oriented sci-fi FPS as Bungie seems intent on pissing away any and all of its goodwill with non-apology after non-apology for the myriad of questionable design decisions in Destiny 2, there's a giant question mark over how player-friendly the monetisation will be in Anthem, and Star Citizen is still firmly in alpha.

What?

This is the first time I'm hearing of that Stars of Blood game.

ToniD

Jan 26, 2018
Hi, everyone!

I'm Toni Domínguez (@AlegreDominguez), author of those tweets. I'm still shocked they've gone this far. Just in case you were wondering, no release dates were specified for any of the features.

Another fact they shared was 10% of the users play with the Steam Controller, which in my opinion is something huge considering how many active players Steam has.

Also, as you may have seen, there's a graph of the amount of concurrent Steam players in one of those pictures of the presentation. What I'm going to say is obvious but the impact of PUBG made the graph rise considerably.

Any questions? I check twitter multiple times a day ;)

Deleted member 11926

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi, everyone!

I'm Toni Domínguez (@AlegreDominguez), author of those tweets. I'm still shocked they've gone this far. Just in case you were wondering, no release dates were specified for any of the features.

Another fact they shared was 10% of the users play with the Steam Controller, which in my opinion is something huge considering how many active players Steam has.

Also, as you may have seen, there's a graph of the amount of concurrent Steam players in one of those pictures of the presentation. What I'm going to say is obvious but the impact of PUBG made the graph rise considerably.

Hi Toni!

By any chance did they also talk about improving (establishing is a more fitting term, actually) their communication with their customers/fanbase? Maybe hiring a communcations director or something? Or improving customer support at least?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, everyone!

Did they say when they're aiming to go live with this? Not that it matters that much in Valve time, but you never know...

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi, everyone!

And people say nobody uses it. That's, what, 1m-1.6m concurrent users using the Steam Controller? Is that number about right? Because if it is, that's pretty damn interesting.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see the concept art on someone's LinkedIn in four years. After Valve have decided that it's just to difficult to make a working UI of course

ToniD

Jan 26, 2018
Hi Toni!

By any chance did they also talk about improving (establishing is a more fitting term, actually) their communication with their customers/fanbase? Maybe hiring a communcations director or something? Or improving customer support at least?

They didn't talk about that. It was more focused on what they could do/were going to do for developers, even if they talked about some other stuff like the Big Picture update. Customer support has been great for me on Steam, though I've only needed some assistance when asking for a refund, so I haven't been on any situation that required an assistance that hasn't been well done before.

Did they say when they're aiming to go live with this? Not that it matters that much in Valve time, but you never know...

As I said on Twitter, no release dates yet.

Can't wait to see the concept art on someone's LinkedIn in four years. After Valve have decided that it's just to difficult to make a working UI of course

One of the Powerpoint slides (which is here in this page, 2nd message) was showing a different UI concept for Big Picture mode, but they said it was just a concept. Don't expect it to look like that, but I'm sure they're working hard.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Or improving customer support at least?
I feel like their customer support is better than they get credit for.

2 days ago I opened my first support ticket ever, I asked why Trails of Cold Steel is listed only as 'Partial Controller Support' even though Durante made sure even the launcher was usable with gamepad sand I got an answer just 5 hours later.
(Turns out you can't navigate the launcher with DirectInput).

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I feel like their customer support is better than they get credit for.

2 days ago I opened my first support ticket ever, I asked why Trails of Cold Steel is listed only as 'Partial Controller Support' even though Durante made sure even the launcher was usable with gamepad sand I got an answer just 5 hours later.
(Turns out you can't navigate the launcher with DirectInput).

Yeah, support is outsourced now. Possibly completely as Valve's employee count has dropped from ~360 in October 2016 to ~300 today as per the second slide in madjoki's post above.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Monetize reviews Valve, if someone write a review for a spesific game reward him with a trading card if collect a number of likes. Do it.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Hi, everyone!

10% of concurrent users with a Steam controller, right (as opposed to overall)? I swear that lately I've been seeing more and more of my friends playing games with a controller of some sort. I don't suppose they mentioned anything else about the Steam Controller, perhaps anything about a revision?

Status
Not open for further replies.