• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Are they seriously going to make a new big picture mode before they update the desktop UI to support freaking DPI scaling

Why doesn't the biggest PC gaming storefront work properly on 4k and 1440p displays/high DPI displays in general? It's downright ridiculous

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Does the new review system mean we can block curators so I stop seeing 'Commander Shephard: This is my favorite game on steam' shit?

Last edited:
OP
OP
GameZone

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Are they seriously going to make a new big picture mode before they update the desktop UI to support freaking DPI scaling

Why doesn't the biggest PC gaming storefront work properly on 4k and 1440p displays/high DPI displays in general? It's downright ridiculous

I'm pretty sure they are working on a new desktop UI too.

Oct 27, 2017
The Big Picture mode isn't amazing, but it's already miles ahead of the desktop UI, which has remained relatively unchanged for at least a decade now.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Steam doesn't look great when DPI scaling is enabled for 2160p. I hope this is considered during the rebuild.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Valve was aiming to get a beta version of the revamped desktop UI in users' hands last Summer, but obviously that didn't happen, probably because of this BPM news. I'd like to think the beta can't be far off now (the new UI is definitely still in the works), but, y'know, Valve Time.

That'll be a solved problem come the new UI, as not-so-subtly hinted at with this comment last September:

henryg said:

Last edited:

Burai

Oct 27, 2017

The MacOS version still uses window control graphics that Apple phased out system-wide in 2014. Apple literally eradicated them on an OS level, but Valve embedded them in the Steam app and then never bothered to update them in four years.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For a second, I thought he was saying they were working on a calendar for a game they're making to schedule events and updates. Sadness ensued. I did it to myself.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I hope my grandchildren will have a swell time with it. Maybe I'm gonna make them a time capsule, printing out this tweet, so they can truly appreciate how slow Valve is.

Lupic

Dec 31, 2017
United Kingdom
Big Picture is pretty clunky imho. I wonder what they're going to do.
When did they first announce the Steam client overhaul? I'm curious how long they've been publicly working at it.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
Would be neat if we could tag unreleased games in some manner that we're interested in and their releases would be pinned to the calendar automatically

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
A Steam calendar is a great idea, I can keep track of the days I've been waiting for Half Life 3. :(

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Good! Hopefully it fix a problem i'm having. My Big picture mode became sluggish and a bit unresponsive when scrolling.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Bah. I'm so sick of "Valve Time" and their total lack of transparency regarding the Steam client. The Desktop app has been the same pretty much since 2007.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017

Winner winner chicken dinner. How long does it take to release this feature, it should have been fixed years ago FFS. Steam looks so bad at 4k.

What's wrong with the achievement system?
When you can easily run an external program to unlock any achievement you want, it makes earning achievements meaningless as a measure compared to other people. It would also be nice if they took a page from Ubisoft and allowed developers to have in game bonus unlocks tied to achievements with a built in system rather than having to code it themselves.

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
Except that is exactly what is wrong with the achievement system. It's just there, doesn't really matter since you can barely see your friends and have to go through hoops to find it, and people can hack them simply with a tool, so they don't matter.
why do they matter on xbone and ps4? I don't understand how that effects your enjoyment for them

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be surprised if they ever actually roll these updates out. I feel like they have been on the edge for a while regarding a bunch of different things but only ever really touch security updates and changing around how the store works. I've been wanting a UI update or something for a while. A new review system sounds great, I hope it doesn't promote mass negative or mass positive votes so that we can get some actual reviews from people instead of some of the awful 2 word reviews.

Oct 29, 2017
With how up to date Steam's visual design language is, I can't wait for the newly designed Big Picture Mode to incorporate blades as their big new feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.