• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-is-set-to-sponsor-the-game-devs-of-color-expo/

Valve has pledged to sponsor the Game Devs of Color Expo, which is set to take place on September 19, online, which organiser Shawn Alexander Allen has called "decent first steps" after the company was criticised for not making a statement about Black Lives Matter.

While Valve still hasn't released an official statement, a spokesperson confirmed Allen's tweets were accurate with Gamesindustry.biz.

Part of the article is about things that already happened like the page for Guerilla Collective page and the black voices in gaming.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Excited for "what about white devs" comments everywhere.
Really cool of Valve to do.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
But don't all devs matter??? /s

If you're coming in with that sh*t then just leave now lol.

Valve continues to be awesome!

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Words on a black rectangle is something but actions like this matter much more.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the article is about things that already happened like the page for Guerilla Collective page and the black voices in gaming.

Yeah, before the main Guerilla event happened, there was a special stream event profiling black and PoC devs in gaming. Even the tweet said it in the past tense yet the PC Gamer and Gamesindustry articles make it seem like it hasn't happened yet. Poor researching from the authors.

Also, glad Valve is supporting devs of color in gaming with what happened this past weekend and for the upcoming Sept event.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Good on them, finally. I thought they were going to ride this out in silence.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
supporting devs of color is a good, necessary step, but their silence as people of color are murdered across the nation is deafening.

Even the slimiest biggest public corporate companies managed to put out a toothless condemnation of racism, valve is a private company with total autonomy if gabe newell gave a shit.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They already ran a stream + sales event for black voices in gaming, though.

Valve's thing has always been PR silence while letting the actions do the talking.
Would it really be that hard for them to come out and make a statement though? Actions are great, but their actual silence regarding the events happening in the world is deafening.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Took me a minute since I forgot the title but yeah that is indeed the one I was talking about.

Did not know about this game I am very much looking forward to it.

Words on a black rectangle is something but actions like this matter much more.
Yeah Valve has never been one for PR messages, they usually just go and do something instead of talk about it. Which I do applaud them for but they could have also mentioned they were sponsoring this event and put more eyes on their black voices in gaming sale.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Would it really be that hard for them to come out and make a statement though? Actions are great, but their actual silence regarding the events happening in the world is deafening.

I really don't get this. In a movement as powerful as Black Lives Matter, where you have folks who are fed up and tired of hearing the same ol' thing over and over with no course of action taken, you rather have Valve put out a blanket statement? Sure I was bummed when Valve didn't say anything but this was before the news came out about them helping out black and PoC devs showcasing their games. Actions do speak louder than words.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get this. In a movement as powerful as Black Lives Matter, where you have folks who are fed up and tired of hearing the same ol' thing over and over with no course of action taken, you rather have Valve put out a blanket statement? Sure I was bummed when Valve didn't say anything but this was before the news came out about them helping out black and PoC devs showcasing their games. Actions do speak louder than words.
Eh it's not an "rather" thing. They could (and should!) have done both. Actions are great, but the silence is pretty shitty

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't say I would rather have them put out a statement though? As I said, their actions here are good and I applaud them for that, but it doesn't and shouldn't be an either/or situation. Would it really have been that hard for the most prestigious PC gaming company to have been able to just flat out at that they stand with POC? Several other companies put out statements AND donated to organizations that help POC. It really isn't an excuse.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Valve is absolutely awful at communication.
Remained silent as other companies gave statements of solidarity, leading to racists assuming Valve does not support BLM and acting like Valve is possibly on their side.

And "GamesIndustry.biz reached out to Valve for comments, with a spokesperson confirming that "Shawn's tweet is accurate," without providing further details."
They had to find that out from someone's twitter, and when asking for confirmation from Valve, apparently received a whole sentence.

But as they say, actions speak louder than words, so I hope Valve will keep adding to and expanding on actions like this.
They could clean up Steam communities for instance.

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Thats dope - hope this isnt just a one-off and they keep it up with similar actions in the future.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
They're still just another overwhelmingly white and Asian dev AFAIK
Ah, that's a shame. Hopefully the spotlight BLM has had recently, also affects hiring practices etc. across the board. So it's not just about police brutality. It certainly has sparked more visible discussion around racism at large here where I live.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously. But there is an easy way to...idk....do both? Especially with there lackof moderation literally anywhere else. It's not out of the realm for anyone to assume they are doing nothing.

Valve is not set up like any company and it causes issues in communication all the time. It always feels like communication is always done at the side of a person's desk so no one is really focused on it. Valve's structure is such a way that things will never change. Hell, I think it is only recently that they started to have actual people responsible for customer service.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Ah, that's a shame. Hopefully the spotlight BLM has had recently, also affects hiring practices etc. across the board. So it's not just about police brutality. It certainly has sparked more visible discussion around racism at large here where I live.
Yep. Lots of discussion at my ~60ish person studio about how it will affect hiring practices going forward. It's important to me that we not only hire more PoC, but hire them in positions where they can make a difference.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously. But there is an easy way to...idk....do both? Especially with there lackof moderation literally anywhere else. It's not out of the realm for anyone to assume they are doing nothing.

That's par for the course for Valve, for better or worse. They basically never talk about anything.

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yep. Lots of discussion at my ~60ish person studio about how it will affect hiring practices going forward. It's important to me that we not only hire more PoC, but hire them in positions where they can make a difference.
There was a recent study here about job interviews (not development specifically). But out of 1000 job applications people with Finnish names got 390 interviews, English names 269, Russian 228, Iraqi 134 and Somalian only 99. Interestingly the employers were more likely to invite women for the interview, especially among Iraqi and Somalian people it was twice as likely. And of course all of the applications had similar work experience, education etc. Hopefully more people start to realize that "hiring the best person for the job" doesn't really always (usually?) happen, when so many minorities are badly at disadvantage even so early on in the hiring process.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Actions speak louder than words.
Actions and words don't have to be mutually exclusive. Yeah, there are game companies that haven't done anything but pay empty lip service, but there are also others who have publicly announced support and also donated to relevant charities.

itch.io came out with a massive game bundle and raised over $8 million for the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund and a bunch of community bail funds, in addition to public statements.

Valve, as THE leader in digital distribution for games, could have done literally anything, and it would have been better than what they have done so far. It took one day for them to put fucking Hatred back up on Steam after complaints about its removal, and after all this time Valve can't say shit about what's happening?

Gabe Newell can kiss my ass.

Massively goddamned disappointed with Valve right now.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Actions and words don't have to be mutually exclusive. Yeah, there are game companies that haven't done anything but pay empty lip service, but there are also others who have publicly announced support and also donated to relevant charities.

itch.io came out with a massive game bundle and raised over $8 million for the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund and a bunch of community bail funds, in addition to public statements.

Valve, as THE leader in digital distribution for games, could have done literally anything, and it would have been better than what they have done so far. It took one day for them to put fucking Hatred back up on Steam after complaints about its removal, and after all this time Valve can't say shit about what's happening?

Gabe Newell can kiss my ass.

Massively goddamned disappointed with Valve right now.

You make an excellent point.

Linkeds2

Nov 15, 2017
North Bay, CA
supporting devs of color is a good, necessary step, but their silence as people of color are murdered across the nation is deafening.

Even the slimiest biggest public corporate companies managed to put out a toothless condemnation of racism, valve is a private company with total autonomy if gabe newell gave a shit.
Putting on an expo for black game devs isn't exactly being 'silent'. I'd take action from corporations rather than an empty statement anyday

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
lashman just pointed that out:

Its more about how journalists didnt care and called Valve out for not doing anything, while Valve supported the conference long before they were "called out", but VG247 makes it sound like the developers response is what pushed Valve to do it.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Its more about how journalists didnt care and called Valve out for not doing anything, while Valve supported the conference long before they were "called out", but VG247 makes it sound like the developers response is what pushed Valve to do it.

Once again, instead of journalists putting in the effort to find out from legit sources, it's a lot easier to point the finger, chastise someone, copy a tweet, and make an article about that...in this case, Valve does nothing.