• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
I did receive an e-mail of confirmation and the history page says that it'll be shipped in 2-4 weeks but:

1 - I didn't pay for anything
2 - I didn't even put on a shipping address for it to come

And my steam wallet is untouched, anyone else in the same situation?

ESsIQT1WsAEuSTp

annotation2020-03-09226kn0.png

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So earlier I was able to get an order in that now says "processing". I confirmed shipping and my credit card was charged immediately.

However if I go to the steam store on my phone or on the app, the valve index still shows "complete order"

do I just ignore this? Will I have issues?

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I did receive an e-mail of confirmation and the history page says that it'll be shipped in 2-4 weeks but:

Same. As far as I can tell, when I put in a reservation for the Index controllers, I actually ordered them.

I have no clue how this is going to work when they try to process the payment, though.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

everyone who has not gotten an order before they were backordered were placed in a reserve queue where instead they will receive an email regarding order confirm.

In that email it will state:

For items that are not available for immediate shipping, we will send you a separate email to confirm your shipping and payment information as the target date arrives. You will have 7 days to complete the transaction at that time

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Same. As far as I can tell, when I put in a reservation for the Index controllers, I actually ordered them.

I have no clue how this is going to work when they try to process the payment, though.
Yeah, we'll w&s I guess.

everyone who has not gotten an order before they were backordered were placed in a reserve queue where instead they will receive an email regarding order confirm.

In that email it will state:
Put on backorder huh, I'd swear I clicked on it the minute it was made available, and it instantly put me on backorder alright then the thirst for Index is real.

NesFe00

Oct 28, 2017
I was just about to ask but the posts above explain it. I ordered at 1:01pm, but I wasn't asked for payment or shipment information. I guess I'm in backorders :/ and I was happy to be able to order lol

nsqnTZy.png

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Put on backorder huh, I'd swear I clicked on it the minute it was made available, and it instantly put me on backorder alright then the thirst for Index is real.

Yup. It's insane.

I ordered it 1 minute after I thought it was supposed to go up, unless it went up a little early. I still got placed in the reserved queue with 5 weeks till shipping...

ChristMustDie

Oct 26, 2017
I see a lot of posts about the entire Valve Index Kit, but did anyone else order the Index + Controllers? I did within the first minute of the pre-orders going live and my order says it's going to take over eight weeks. I would've ordered the full kit had I known the bundle I actually wanted wouldn't be in stock for over two months :/

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
I see a lot of posts about the entire Valve Index Kit, but did anyone else order the Index + Controllers? I did within the first minute of the pre-orders going live and my order says it's going to take over eight weeks. I would've ordered the full kit had I known the bundle I actually wanted wouldn't be in stock for over two months :/

I pressed order on 2 screens simultaneously as the second hand passed 12 and I somehow still got on back order. Like, were talking a second to a second and a half. Absolute max.

Controllers and headset.

sucks but at leastI'm in a que now and don't have to monitor the situation, just get an email when it is ready.

My main concern with the order is that COVID-19 will make the backorders stretch out indefinitely...

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
The hype got to me, got in a back order (which is better for me as I now have 8 weeks to slowly pay it off with no interest instead of just paying the total off instantly). It also gives me the option to cancel it if I change my mind during that time.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
So, did everyone who ordered just the controllers still get 2 - 4 weeks? I think I placed my order less than 10 seconds the links went up and still got 2 - 4 weeks with no payment instructions yet

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
So, did everyone who ordered just the controllers still get 2 - 4 weeks? I think I placed my order less than 10 seconds the links went up and still got 2 - 4 weeks with no payment instructions yet

Same here: Was rapidly refreshing the page, hit order on the controllers the instant they popped up, ended up with 2-4 weeks and no payment instructions.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
So did people get theirs?
I didn't bother ordering one. I wanted one for the game's release but since that's not going to happen I don't think it makes sense to order one now. I'm hoping there will be more options become available as the year progresses. A Rift S 2 with IPD adjustment would be welcome!

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't bother ordering one. I wanted one for the game's release but since that's not going to happen I don't think it makes sense to order one now. I'm hoping there will be more options become available as the year progresses. A Rift S 2 with IPD adjustment would be welcome!
In a few months the Pimax 8K-X should be available - true 4k-per-eye VR, 170-degree horizontal FOV (but only 72hz refresh, and the most expensive thing known to man).

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
6 to 8 weeks is insane. I can't imagine myself waiting that long for Half-Life: Alyx. Either way its better than nothing. Hopefully they will push up the shipping for you guys

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Seems insane considering most of us ordered within literal seconds of it going live. Also hoping they push it up somehow.

Any mews

Oct 25, 2017
Highly recommend to people to keep their back-orders even if they are unhappy with the wait time. Totally possible Valve sets things back to no back order system at all, and frankly, once HL:A comes out and people see how awesome it is it's only going to increase demand even further.

Just don't cancel.

danielvdell

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Los Angeles
Got an order in this morning at exactly 10 a.m. Had a 2-4 week shipping estimate. An hour ago, I got an email saying my order was canceled. WHY? Did this happen to anyone else?

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
Forgot this was happening :(

I already have the controllers, was ready to add the headset. I hit the order just now, expected delivery is 8 weeks. Oh well.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea the best method of contacting them? I don't have the order in my history anymore so I can't open a ticket for it unless I open one for an unrelated purchase.
help.steampowered.com

Steam Support

Log in to your Steam account to get help with your Steam games, contact Steam Support, request refunds, and more. Help is also available if you can't log in, need to reset your password, or recover a hijacked account.
Purchases > Can't complete my purchase > Game or other software > Valve Index Base Station

Then leave as much info as you can. It's not exactly the correct section but should get you as relevant of support as you can get with the current options. If that person can't help you they'll at least pass it in the right direction.

danielvdell

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Los Angeles
help.steampowered.com

Steam Support

Log in to your Steam account to get help with your Steam games, contact Steam Support, request refunds, and more. Help is also available if you can't log in, need to reset your password, or recover a hijacked account.
Purchases > Can't complete my purchase > Game or other software > Valve Index Base Station

Then leave as much info as you can. It's not exactly the correct section but should get you as relevant of support as you can get with the current options. If that person can't help you they'll at least pass it in the right direction.

Awesome. Thank you, man. I appreciate it!

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
Got an order in, but seeing this on the order page along with a Processing status:

This purchase is pending while Steam attempts to collect payment.

When this purchase completes and Steam collects payment, Steam will email you a receipt and the product will be added to your library.

If the purchase should fail, Steam will email you a link that will let you try your purchase (with the discount) again for up to 72 hours.

Anyone else?

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I only ordered the controllers and got lucky I guess. Mine says processing and they already took the money

Reddline

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how well the original vive lighthouses work with the index headset and knuckles?

I still have the original vive and was curious if the new 2.0 lighthouses are worth the additional $250 for the full kit.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how well the original vive lighthouses work with the index headset and knuckles?

I still have the original vive and was curious if the new 2.0 lighthouses are worth the additional $250 for the full kit.
Supposedly they work perfectly fine with 1.0 lighthouses. The 2.0 just wider field of view and better range (and possibly less power usage since they only have one motor?). Also you can more than 2 lighthouses in a setup for very large rooms.

If you've got a setup that works with Vive now, from everything I've heard/read about it, they should just work.

I'm in the same boat. Ordered within the first 30 seconds (after 3 failed attempts). Confirmation email from Valve was received at 10:00:34. Purchase History page has never wavered from a shipping time of "after 8 weeks", even when the store page briefly said 2 weeks for shipping.

So far all but one other person I've seen online has had a similar experience ordering the Headset+Controller combo. Either they're going to be slowly working through their back orders in the coming days because the system couldn't take it, or they had an EXTREMELY small number of those particular kits and we are all SOL.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
I got my order in two hours after the restock went live and it says my order is processing. Not sure how that happened.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017

No, only the knuckles will work with the og lighthouse, the headset requires the 2.0 ones.

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
No, only the knuckles will work with the og lighthouse, the headset requires the 2.0 ones.
Base Station compatibility?
  • 1.0 (HTC-branded) and 2.0 (Valve-branded) Base Stations will not work with each other in the same VR setup.
  • Index will work with both 1.0 and 2.0 Base Stations.
  • 2.0 Base Stations will not work with the original Vive headset or Wand controllers, but will work with the Vive Pro product family.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Hmmm maybe I got it wrong, I probably once had the thought of just upgrading the lightouses and then read that it won't work with my vive, so probably that's where I got it wrong in my head lol

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
I clicked on the order button right at the time it opened up but didn't get to enter any payment details and the order says over 8 weeks. I guess im not in the first round of shipments. Bah. These things sell out fast.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
The shipment have been updated to 2-4 weeks. Must be a lot of people cancelled or something

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just checked on my Index controllers order (US) and it has switched from "processing" to "shipping soon". Kinda exciting even though I have yet to even see an estimated ship/arrival date. Hoping for the best. Having Half-Life: Alyx in my steam library feels great, though!

Last edited: