• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Japan is the only region where all Index packages aren't sold out across the board; orders there are handled by Valve's regional partner Degica which reports that the 'Headset + Controllers' and 'Headset-only' are still in stock, while 'Full Kit', 'Controllers-only', and 'Base Station-only' are all sold out.

In response to the demand, Valve appears to have revamped its Index page to make it easier to know when Index is back in stock. Where a simple 'Back in Stock Soon' message used to reside, all pages now have a 'Notify Me' button allowing logged-in users to sign up for an alert when stock becomes available. The message at the top of the window reads, "We're busy catching up with demand for Valve Index!"
valve-index-stock-availability.png

Last edited:

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Turns out VR was just waiting on Half-Life. Who knew :D

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Valve also reportedly did not think the release of Alyx would increase demand for their headsets, so they were not prepared at all for the rush of orders.

This is a supply problem more then it is, VR is alive problem.

I hope to get one one day, but im stuck with my cheap oddyssey plus

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
I actually just got mine today. I ordered it when the backorder was "February", so that falls in line with other posters saying they got theirs much earlier than the backorder date.

Not sure if I'm going to keep it as it's pretty expensive, but I'm also not sure I want to scalp someone on eBay lol. I know some people who might just play Alyx and then sell theirs oddly enough.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I actually just got mine today. I ordered it when the backorder was "February", so that falls in line with other posters saying they got theirs much earlier than the backorder date.

Not sure if I'm going to keep it as it's pretty expensive, but I'm also not sure I want to scalp someone on eBay lol. I know some people who might just play Alyx and then sell theirs oddly enough.
Why did you buy one then?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Valve also reportedly did not think the release of Alyx would increase demand for their headsets, so they were not prepared at all for the rush of orders.

This is a supply problem more then it is, VR is alive problem.

I hope to get one one day, but im stuck with my cheap oddyssey plus
You can send me your Odyssey+ if you don't want it, I don't mind :)

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Why did you buy one then?
Fair question. Because I definitely want to play Alyx at some point and I (think) that I want to play it on the best hardware possible (And on the day it comes out).

My goal isn't to profit off of anyone, but buying it early was the best way to ensure I got one regardless of my decision, as I can always sell it for approximately the same price I got it for (Well, time will tell if that's true.)

I might end up playing Alyx with the Index and then selling the Index, I'm just not sure yet. But I sympathize with someone who wants an Index and might not have one. My goal is not to buy things other people want and profit, just that a small profit here would cover the tax and and shipping that selling it later would need to break even.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Fair question. Because I definitely want to play Alyx at some point and I (think) that I want to play it on the best hardware possible (And on the day it comes out).

My goal isn't to profit off of anyone, but buying it early was the best way to ensure I got one regardless of my decision, as I can always sell it for approximately the same price I got it for (Well, time will tell if that's true.)

I might end up playing Alyx with the Index and then selling the Index, I'm just not sure yet. But I sympathize with someone who wants an Index and might not have one. My goal is not to buy things other people want and profit, just that a small profit here would cover the tax and and shipping that selling it later would need to break even.
Have you owned other VR hardware that's not mobile?

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Have you owned other VR hardware that's not mobile?
No, I have not! In the last few months all I've really done is research and looking at reviews for different headsets in order to learn about VR better. I also have a friend who got an Index early on and he gives me his impressions, but he also hasn't owned another set.

I understand that some people enjoy a combination of other headsets with the Knuckles, so that might be the option I end up going for in the long run.
Hurr hurr, lol, ruin the hobby for the forum you are posting on, hur hurrr lol
Let me clarify: I'm not going to scalp someone. If I was, I wouldn't have posted in this thread at all.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Do you think this still has a possibility of showing up, or is it probably not the direction anymore?
If the direction is still the same as it was some time ago, there's another huge announcement tied to this that'll likely happen simultaneously or soon after, which nobody has heard or mentioned anything of. That could mean it was scrapped or is under particularly tight wraps. I'm hoping for the latter :)

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I ordered mine 12/2 and it shipped 1/7 and received it 1/8. I live like 30 minutes from the warehouse though.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think this still has a possibility of showing up, or is it probably not the direction anymore?
It's looking less and less likely to me, but out of respect for my former colleagues I don't poke around to try and figure out what's going on. It was a pretty big effort during my time, but things move (and change) fast at Valve.

The last thing I can say at this juncture is that Valve's hardware team moved into a very impressive hybrid lab/manufacturing plant in Factoria, Bellevue, WA, and, at the time, it was intended for more than just the R&D and production of the Index and its peripherals.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
VR is dead right up until it's not.

Wish it would only cost a couple hundred to get a decent set.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It's looking less and less likely to me, but out of respect for my former colleagues I don't poke around to try and figure out what's going on. The last thing I can say at this juncture is that Valve's hardware team moved into a very impressive hybrid lab/manufacturing plant in Factoria, Bellevue, WA, and, at the time, it was intended for more than just the R&D and production of the Index and its peripherals.
Well I'm sure we'll see more hardware from them in due time with some recent patents coming to attention, even if it doesn't end up being what you thought.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
This is great, but for some dumb reason I'm worried the prudent move will be to delay HL:A a bit more so that more people can have headsets in time for launch.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be an absolute nightmare come HLA season

Just keep those Index controllers in stock for me Gabe

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Baby steps. Maybe if VR wasn't selling 7x slower than 3DTV it wouldn't get so much cristiscm?
Eh, we've been over this. 3D TVs have an entirely different trajectory before they even hit the market. It's just the nature of what type of product they are, being an extension of TVs, and not a new concept that both people and developers/manufacturers need to figure out.

Problem is, people generally don't understand this because many people aren't aware of how tech adoption curves work, especially considering how many people think the iPhone was the first smartphone and that it took off nearly instantly.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Surprise, software sell hardware, gamers around the world are in shock.
My brother is also trying to get one but 1k€ hurts a lot.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I know I want the knuckles...but I'm debating on the actual headset. I kind of want to get the Index just to keep everything the same, but I also want something like the Pimax 5k (8k has weird distortion issues on the edge last i knew) or just waiting for better headsets. I'm not craving VR or chomping at the bit for Alyx but I'd like to get one sometime.

Went ahead and signed up for the notifications...we'll see if I actually buy one soon. Planning on a new PC build this summer too...

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, we've been over this. 3D TVs have an entirely different trajectory before they even hit the market. It's just the nature of what type of product they are, being an extension of TVs, and not a new concept that both people and developers/manufacturers need to figure out.

Problem is, people generally don't understand this because many people aren't aware of how tech adoption curves work, especially considering how many people think the iPhone was the first smartphone and that it took off nearly instantly.
3DTV is just as irrelvant a comparison as smartphones, which VR is also seriously lagging behind. Compared to VR smartphones did take off instantly, well before the iPhone.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
3DTV is just as irrelvant a comparison as smartphones, which VR is also seriously lagging behind. Compared to VR smartphones did take off instantly, well before the iPhone.
They did not take off instantly at all. In the early 2000s, early smartphones would struggle to reach a million lifetime units. Same thing with PCs and consoles.

I compare VR to smartphones because that's the correct comparison to make. You compare it to a new computing platform which take 10-20 years to mature. I'd say it's probably going to follow more closely to PCs, but I used smartphones in my original comment because it was about how the BBC article mentioned VR was supposed to be mainstream in one year, 10x faster than smartphones.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not looking promising for my index controllers replacement huh? Lol. I have the no click forward on my left controller issue.