• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
Yay got mine in this morning!

Quick impressions is that it's a solid upgrade from the Vive, just as I expected. The resolution and fov didn't blow me away but very noticable right when you out it on. Going to take some time to get used to controllers, can't figure out how best to position my hands to reach everything including the system button. I couldn't get windows to recognize the speakers as an output device, but fixed itself after a few reboots. They sound great as others have mentioned. Finger tracking wise pretty good but not perfect. The analog stick feels good to me, was a little worried about that.

Barely got to play so excited to sink some time in with this thing!

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
For the first time ever, Fedex came early in the day. Here are some quick impressions, from an OG Vive user:

- The biggest visual improvement for me is the larger sweet spot in the lens. It is not quite edge-to-edge clarity, but it is much better than the Vive. This is a big improvement for immersion for two reasons: First I can move my eyes more naturally rather than moving my head to look at stuff. Second, when you are turning your head you do not have the exaggerated sense of motion blur as the blurry peripherals sweep across the scene.

- SDE is definitely improved, but we are not yet at the point where it is seemless. SDE is still clearly visible, and you will be aware that you are looking at a screen.

- Field-of-view is kind of a mixed bag, so I'm a little surprised this is one of the areas they focused on so much. The vertical FOV seems improved. The horizontal FOV doesn't really feel subjectively better than the Vive when both headsets are at minimum eye relief. The Index also has an issue where the edges of the screens are visible only when looking forward that I find distracting. In order to get rid of it, I would have to move the eye relief back a lot

- God rays or internal reflections or however you want to classify it is pretty bad, seemingly worse than the Vive. If I look at a white mouse cursor against a black background, there is a large halo around it.

- The attached headphones are surprisingly good. I know, people had already been saying that a lot, but I was skeptical of what their standards for audio quality were. I had been using HE400S headphones, which are a pretty decent set of open-backed headphones previously, and the built-in Index speakers are good enough that I can't see myself going through the hassle of putting on the headphones over the headset anymore.

- I am not sure what to make of the controllers yet. You may have read that they have some built-in learning based on the user's hands. They certainly started out fairly janky, though they seem to have gotten better after only an hour or so of use. They are certainly more comfortable to hold than the Vive wands, but the straps make them harder to put on and harder to take off. You can pair multiple controllers and even mix & match controller types at the same time, so I would not be surprised if I still used my Vive wands for times when I want to switch between VR controllers and a mouse.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
For the first time ever, Fedex came early in the day. Here are some quick impressions, from an OG Vive user:

- The biggest visual improvement for me is the larger sweet spot in the lens. It is not quite edge-to-edge clarity, but it is much better than the Vive. This is a big improvement for immersion for two reasons: First I can move my eyes more naturally rather than moving my head to look at stuff. Second, when you are turning your head you do not have the exaggerated sense of motion blur as the blurry peripherals sweep across the scene.

- SDE is definitely improved, but we are not yet at the point where it is seemless. SDE is still clearly visible, and you will be aware that you are looking at a screen.

- Field-of-view is kind of a mixed bag, so I'm a little surprised this is one of the areas they focused on so much. The vertical FOV seems improved. The horizontal FOV doesn't really feel subjectively better than the Vive when both headsets are at minimum eye relief. The Index also has an issue where the edges of the screens are visible only when looking forward that I find distracting. In order to get rid of it, I would have to move the eye relief back a lot

- God rays or internal reflections or however you want to classify it is pretty bad, seemingly worse than the Vive. If I look at a white mouse cursor against a black background, there is a large halo around it.

- The attached headphones are surprisingly good. I know, people had already been saying that a lot, but I was skeptical of what their standards for audio quality were. I had been using HE400S headphones, which are a pretty decent set of open-backed headphones previously, and the built-in Index speakers are good enough that I can't see myself going through the hassle of putting on the headphones over the headset anymore.

- I am not sure what to make of the controllers yet. You may have read that they have some built-in learning based on the user's hands. They certainly started out fairly janky, though they seem to have gotten better after only an hour or so of use. They are certainly more comfortable to hold than the Vive wands, but the straps make them harder to put on and harder to take off. You can pair multiple controllers and even mix & match controller types at the same time, so I would not be surprised if I still used my Vive wands for times when I want to switch between VR controllers and a mouse.
Thanks for the perspective. I have an OG Vive and been tempted for the next step up in visual quality. Did you have the GearVR lens mod or were you using the original lenses?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
The Index is a fantastic pile of tech and the most luxe VR experience available. But at $999, the full kit (headset, controllers, base stations) costs more than double the $399 Rift S. Even if you already have base stations, it's still nearly double Oculus's offering, and after testing both headsets, the experience really isn't that different. Yes, the Index looks and feels a bit better than the Rift S, but really not by much. For twice the price, I want something that delivers an experience leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.

arit

Oct 29, 2017
Valve could not have picked a worse day than a Friday release when choosing carriers which do not deliver (or make it possible to fetch it) on the weekend. Good job.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got my controllers this morning! Unfortunately I have some stitches on my head that prevent me from using any VR headsets, so I have to wait a week or so to use them.

Y7KlDmA.jpg

6xVhXUS.jpg

RcXcCqh.jpg

PyfVKeY.jpg

BlX2vfr.jpg

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
WOW. The value proposition is worth mentioning, but that's an insane tl;dr. Rift S is in a different class. Head to Ars today for my feature length buying guide, which reminds how Index's massive FOV and 120Hz refresh really do change the game.

damn a completely different class eh?

I look forward to doing my own comparison later today assuming it does arrive today (and I didn't miss it already)

Enordash

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
A couple of quick impressions before I have to do some running around:

- The controllers are going to take some major getting used to. I may just need to adjust how I'm attaching them to my hands, but the grips are incredibly sensitive. It was also registering my middle finger as the ring finger instead so I'm likely holding it too low. The System button requires me to almost wiggle my hand out of the strap in order to hit it with my thumb. I will need to fiddle with this a bit, but I was having a fair bit of wonkiness in Blade & Sorcery and Superhot. I tried Pavlov and it was awkward as hell there. The Vive -> Index remap made things very counter intuitive. I read that there's a beta out to support the Index controllers so I see this getting fixed pretty soon. I do think they will be better for many games, but I may honestly stick with the Vive controllers for Beat Saber.

- The SDE is heavily reduced from the OG Vive. Text is far easier to read and things like Virtual Desktop are far more usable. I'm actually typing this up in Virtual Desktop just to check it out. I'm excited to try a movie in Bigscreen later. Although everything is quite crisp, the FOV feels more or less like the Vive's which is a disappointment.

- I'm currently having an issue where the Index HMD sound device disappears from the available output options. I'm not sure what the deal is with this. I was able to get it back the first time by restarting the headset. Hopefully this is a bug that can get fixed soon.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
WOW. The value proposition is worth mentioning, but that's an insane tl;dr. Rift S is in a different class. Head to Ars today for my feature length buying guide, which reminds how Index's massive FOV and 120Hz refresh really do change the game.

Is the fov really that massive? Two other impressions on this page seem to indicate it isn't much of a leap over the og Vive. So which is it?

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Is the fov really that massive? Two other impressions on this page seem to indicate it isn't much of a leap over the og Vive. So which is it?

It's the combined effect of wider FOV, a wider "sweet spot," and a jump to 120Hz, that really nails the subtle boost in comfort. Valve Index is less impressive when tested by itself; all of its best qualities leap out when you immediately compare its comfort and quality to the "swimmy" feeling you can get from long-term use of other standard-spec VR headsets.

The best "oooooh" test I've done is Project Cars 2 on a Vive Pro, then immediately on a Valve Index.

MaDKaT

Oct 27, 2017
Got my controllers. They feel pretty great but seem designed for folks with larger hands. Not so much an issue for me but worried a bit about my wife reaching the stick and buttons comfortably. Now I just need to wait for gigabyte to return my GPU :(

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It's the combined effect of wider FOV, a wider "sweet spot," and a jump to 120Hz, that really nails the subtle boost in comfort. Valve Index is less impressive when tested by itself; all of its best qualities leap out when you immediately compare its comfort and quality to the "swimmy" feeling you can get from long-term use of other standard-spec VR headsets.

The best "oooooh" test I've done is Project Cars 2 on a Vive Pro, then immediately on a Valve Index.
Q: have you tried on on Elite Dangerous? I'm curious how the reduced black level performance impacts that game given its backdrop of space itself, or if it's not even really noticeable.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
As far as i know it depends how you set lenses. It is UP TO 135 degrees.

Thanks for the explanations. I'll probably try and pick one up later this year after my next system upgrade. My creaky 970 ain't gonna cut it anymore :p

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Can't pair my right Index controller for some reason. Left one is fine. Any ideas?

I assume pairing is done same way as on the Vive?

If you've already tried that... old school trick, change the usb port on your pc-hmd connection and see if that helps.

I'm just guessing but changing the USB port once helped me with a vive controller not connecting, don't know why!

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Q: have you tried on on Elite Dangerous? I'm curious how the reduced black level performance impacts that game given its backdrop of space itself, or if it's not even really noticeable.

Various space sims have been fine in action. I think Valve Index is the best LCD VR headset in terms of minimizing light bleed in all-black scenes. The bigger issue is black crush when trying to play through or watch content with dramatic contrast between light and dark. (The Matrix is my testing favorite to check for this, and Index failed its black crush test pretty badly.)

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked Tested didn't have a video ready to go live.

There's plenty of impressions on Reddit to say most people aren't finding this true. This combined with the raw data we do have makes me think there's a lot of placebo going on here (at least if comparing to the Vive). Either that or some people are just a lot more appreciate of the nice boost in the vertical FOV (+10 degrees over Vive).

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well my knuckles were supposed to arrive today but instead never left the post depot. Luckily I'm working this weekend.
Parcelforce continues to be utter shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Various space sims have been fine in action. I think Valve Index is the best LCD VR headset in terms of minimizing light bleed in all-black scenes. The bigger issue is black crush when trying to play through or watch content with dramatic contrast between light and dark. (The Matrix is my testing favorite to check for this, and Index failed its black crush test pretty badly.)
oh that's too bad. I really like watching movies in VR. I will keep my Vive Pro around for that if I am disappointed in my Index's performance in that arena.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mine arrived! Had to leave work early to get it though because Fedex decided to leave it on my doorstep in the heat and rain. Leaving it out there for 4 hours to potentially be stolen or damaged by the weather wasn't great. Even worse is the driver put a scribble and decided to say I signed for it, I was very confused when I checked tracking and it said I had signed for it. I never have a good experience with Fedex.

Looking forward to playing with it this weekend -- assuming that the cord is long enough. Still have to find out if I have to eat the cost of expensive extenders so it reaches my playspace.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
There's plenty of impressions on Reddit to say most people aren't finding this true. This combined with the raw data we do have makes me think there's a lot of placebo going on here (at least if comparing to the Vive). Either that or some people are just a lot more appreciate of the nice boost in the vertical FOV (+10 degrees over Vive).

Well different people are going to experience the FoV differently. Literally facial structure can cause a difference in field of view.

Valve even has a write up about a few different factors.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds disappointing. Always hated seeing god rays with my Vive.

Interesting how people's impressions regarding FOV here aren't exactly super positive. Wasn't that one of the big improvements with the new headset?

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
All we need is a game announcement and we're golden.
I still think it's crazy they haven't announced their first VR game yet.
Anyone who closely follows Valve knows it's probably Half Life VR (unless something else is further along in Unity) but still if you want to sell your $1000 VR bundle to anyone outside the most hardcore they need to show off software.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think it's crazy they haven't announced their first VR game yet.
Anyone who closely follows Valve knows it's probably Half Life VR (unless something else is further along in Unity) but still if you want to sell your $1000 VR bundle to anyone outside the most hardcore they need to show off software.
Probably holding any game announcements for a simultaneous reveal alongside another (more critical) initiative.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Well different people are going to experience the FoV differently. Literally facial structure can cause a difference in field of view.

Valve even has a write up about a few different factors.

No doubt. I just think it's best to keep expectations in check, because the majority of the impressions are not saying "massive" when referring to the FOV. It's going to lead to disappointment if people go in thinking they're getting 135 degrees (which no one is getting) and it ends up closer to Vive levels.

Probably holding any game announcements for a simultaneous reveal alongside another (more critical) initiative.

I would assume you're making this statement with some inside knowledge, but I couldn't even begin to imagine what that would be.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Why call out the Rift S for not having an IPD adjuster but not the PSVR? Because it's cheaper? Speaking from personal experience PSVR gives me eye fatigue after half an hour because my IPD is 70

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can a RX 590 run any kind of VR paired with a 2nd Generation Ryzen?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still a bit salty we haven't gotten at least one of those games yet, iirc they were originally planning on showing them off at the 2016 (someone correct me if this was the wrong year) Steam dev days event and said event then never happened. Like who releases a new platform that's so high tech like the Vive without at least one full game to support it published by the platform creator (spare me The Lab examples, full game)? Valve, that's who :p

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked Tested didn't have a video ready to go live.

There won't be one either

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds disappointing. Always hated seeing god rays with my Vive.

Interesting how people's impressions regarding FOV here aren't exactly super positive. Wasn't that one of the big improvements with the new headset?

The nature of the bright object lens artifacts is somewhat different. It's not so much well-defined bright rays, but rather diffuse haloing and clouding. The effect is more like wearing glasses that are steaming up. I think whether you think it is better or worse will be a matter of taste.

As far as the FOV goes, I was skeptical going in, since they did not want to quote any specific numbers and Durante's calculation showed a value that was pretty similar to the Vive screen. I think a lot of these claims about improved FOV were based on the premise that Vive owners did not know how to adjust the eye relief and left it at stock. Whereas the Vive came with the relief extended by default, with the Index the default starting position is much closer to your face.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Now that everyone has received their Index, it is time for Valve to send the next wave out. (comprised entirely of my Index)

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
How do you activate the pass through camera? Double tapping the SteamVR button on the headset doesn't do anything.