• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hey now. My snes had an expansion port that remained a mystery to this day!

Coincidentally, the Satellaview is coming to the Index as a frunk attachment.

At the reveal event, Valve wouldn't say word one about what, if anything, they're officially doing with the frunk. I doubt they'll announce anything until at least 2020, since their 2019 VR game will work on any SteamVR PC headset (read: frunk not required).

Oct 27, 2017
2019 will be the year of junk in the frunk (not sorry), but next year I could see some interesting stuff.

Coincidentally, the Satellaview is coming to the Index as a frunk attachment.

At the reveal event, Valve wouldn't say word one about what, if anything, they're officially doing with the frunk. I doubt they'll announce anything until at least 2020, since their 2019 VR game will work on any SteamVR PC headset (read: frunk not required).
How definite were they about that game coming 2019?

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
2019 will be the year of junk in the frunk (not sorry), but next year I could see some interesting stuff.

How definite were they about that game coming 2019?

When a game publisher says they plan to release a game in seven months ("in 2019") and have zero gameplay to show for it, I trust that company as far as I can throw it. But that's their stance on its release window, until they say otherwise.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
When a game publisher says they plan to release a game in seven months ("in 2019") and have zero gameplay to show for it, I trust that company as far as I can throw it. But that's their stance on its release window, until they say otherwise.

Even less so when they won't even give a title or a genre. I don't think it's crazy to expect that.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Any information from the company that did the Vive/Vive pro wireless adapter?

Which one are you talking about? TPCast or the official one? The official one was Intel's reference design that HTC licensed for use.

I agree it's not a very realistic use for frunk in either case. The antenae needs to be placed on top because 60Ghz wireless doesn't work without line of sight. And the battery would be terrible in the frunk since it would just add extra heat and more weight to to the front. Both would be better served by just clipping to a person's waste.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Which one are you talking about? TPCast or the official one? The official one was Intel's reference design that HTC licensed for use.

I agree it's not a very realistic use for frunk in either case. The antenae needs to be placed on top because 60Ghz wireless doesn't work without line of sight. And the battery would be terrible in the frunk since it would just add extra heat and more weight to to the front. Both would be better served by just clipping to a person's waste.
The official one from Intel. They had talked one point about it having the ability to push even higher bandwidths. But that might have been fluff from the guy at CES (I think?) Where I saw initial videos on it.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
The official one from Intel. They had talked one point about it having the ability to push even higher bandwidths. But that might have been fluff from the guy at CES (I think?) Where I saw initial videos on it.

I'm of the mind it was fluff. It was very suspicious how they only had the OG Vive at that show. And that recent Reddit post (that somebody posted in here), really highlights how ill-suited it actually is for the Vive Pro. I would have thought if it was so easy, they would have increased the bandwidth so the Pro wasn't so starved in that area. Index is also 1.6X the pixels per second versus Pro. So they'd really need to find a way to boost things.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm of the mind it was fluff. It was very suspicious how they only had the OG Vive at that show. And that recent Reddit post (that somebody posted in here), really highlights how ill-suited it actually is for the Vive Pro. I would have thought if it was so easy, they would have increased the bandwidth so the Pro wasn't so starved in that area. Index is also 1.6X the pixels per second versus Pro. So they'd really need to find a way to boost things.
Aww. Well that's ok. Nice to have something to look forward to... In 5+ years ; _ ;

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

I've had no problems with the official wireless kit with my Vive pro. Actually, this is the main reason I decided to keep my Vive Pro and just go with the knuckles instead of buying the full Index kit. I can't go back to the wired stuff now .

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
If that's all that's holding them back, I think a lot of people (myself included) would sacrifice 120hz mode for wireless.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
From the component analysis we know that Vive wireless is "not that great". I mean they are using PCI-E 2.0 with 1x speed for fuck's sake. And there is no hardware video compression which would lower CPU load. What were they thinking?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/bfcldb/virtual_teardown_and_analysis_of_htcs_wireless/
i hate to say it, but this product seems to me as a well done cludge together meant as an interim pacifier to hold people over until 802.11ay arrives in silicon.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Plus, the Index was the most comfortable headset I've ever worn; it didn't ride my giant glasses down my face as I moved, and it has those neat finger-tracking Index controllers.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...lve-index-is-too-good-for-good-enough-opinion

So apparently, despite not actually writing an article about it, Gameindustry.biz was invited to the hands on event a while ago. This is a quote from an article they ran today. I really don't take any exception to what they're asking here. I do love that comfort quote, though. This isn't a sexy attribute, but it's incredibly under-rated in VR.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Plus, the Index was the most comfortable headset I've ever worn; it didn't ride my giant glasses down my face as I moved, and it has those neat finger-tracking Index controllers.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...lve-index-is-too-good-for-good-enough-opinion

This article reminds me how bizarre all this feels.

Valve has spent a while talking about expanding the VR market, and said they want to be like Nintendo.

And yet they seem to have admitted that this headset doesn't do the former, and it certainly fails on the latter.

I guess they feel they need to improve the experience before they can do that.

But it still seems weird that they had 3 pillars, only to come through on one.

I'm almost more curious to see what their next headset looks like to see what their direction is going forward.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm a little concerned with the price of the controllers leading to viability in being used in games but I'm less concerned about the headset. I'm glad valve is doing some advances with the headset because that will be usable for a long time no matter what else happens with the controllers. Get the product right first and then you can look at reducing cost. Hopefully valve is giving financial assistance to companies who want to add index controller support if that is what it takes to add support right now. I'd like every game to have quality index controller support but as long as I can use them I'll still be happy to get rid of my Vive wands.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
It should be noted, though, that on a purely cosmetic level, it's really easy to add hand presence into your game.

All you have to use is SteamVR 2.x. And if you use one of the gloves/hands that Valve includes with the API, the basic actions are already rigged up. You just need to create custom poses for things that are being grabbed (and what the finger states would be on those items when grasped).

I'm playing around with something in Unity right now, and as a result, it basically has hand tracking (including for knuckles). Without any effort on my part. I'm just using the Vive wands, but the thumb is basically tracked based on trackpad position. If I squeeze my trigger, the hand model automatically starts making a fist (until I fully press the trigger and the model becomes a closed fist). All of this hand tracking is coded with the included models (that look good and people are free to use). Knuckles would have perfect hand tracking without adding a single line of code.

It's more about whether custom game design will be built around it, but really, what can you really do with fingers anyway? It's more about presence and making cute signs for social play.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
purxx96agtx21.jpg

More talk about the comfort level:)

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Visual clarity, "next gen" audio solution, and most comfortable to wear. My anticipation for the index headset is defintely rising.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, wish they sent me that email. My bank would take the charge with how they were sending it and I didn't have any other card to use at the time.
Hey Char. I got the reserve on the full kit. I offered the extra to friends but they aren't going to do it. It'll be slightly more expensive. But if you're interested in taking the extra I have you can have it.

811fbWC.jpg

That's the extra set I got after I couldn't secure the original bundle.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Char. I got the reserve on the full kit. I offered the extra to friends but they aren't going to do it. It'll be slightly more expensive. But if you're interested in taking the extra I have you can have it.

811fbWC.jpg

That's the extra set I got after I couldn't secure the original bundle.

Thanks for looking out, but I'm just going to wait for my reservation at this point. I might have pre-ordered a Quest and a Rift S as well lol

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'l offer the reservation to anyone here that wants it, just to be safe though. I'd hate to cancel a release day one, if someone wants it.

Edit: taken for now

Price is as seen here
811fbWC.jpg

It looks like I can change the shipping option, so you'd be able to have it sent directly.

Last edited:

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
With having the Index ordered I have found myself getting back into VR again just now using my Vive, strangely though my chaperone will not show in any game, it shows when I go to chaperone settings in Steam vr settings but nothing when In game.

Anyone had this problem?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
With having the Index ordered I have found myself getting back into VR again just now using my Vive, strangely though my chaperone will not show in any game, it shows when I go to chaperone settings in Steam vr settings but nothing when In game.

Anyone had this problem?
It does not show at all or just when you are close to the bounds? There are different settings for it, like pro and beginner or something.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
It does not show at all or just when you are close to the bounds? There are different settings for it, like pro and beginner or something.

It shows nothing when I go near the boundaries on any setting. It shows up when I go into settings in Steam VR, but not in game.

I googled and a few people seem to have had this problem but I have not found a solution.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if this is a stupid question, I don't follow VR that closely, but why is this headset so expensive when that Oculus Quest one is cheaper, doesn't require base stations and has the PC part built into it? I presume this has a better picture, but it still needs a gaming PC to plug into right?

As someone who doesn't have a powerful gaming PC, the Quest seems like an absolute no-brainer, but I'm guessing that it would need games to be released on an Oculus store to be usable on it, so maybe that's not ideal.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apologies if this is a stupid question, I don't follow VR that closely, but why is this headset so expensive when that Oculus Quest one is cheaper, doesn't require base stations and has the PC part built into it? I presume this has a better picture, but it still needs a gaming PC to plug into right?

As someone who doesn't have a powerful gaming PC, the Quest seems like an absolute no-brainer, but I'm guessing that it would need games to be released on an Oculus store to be usable on it, so maybe that's not ideal.

Valve Index is filled to the brim with various high end, pioneering features and specs, while Oculus Quest is designed for mainstream penetration.

They are targeting the different audience.Valve Index is for the hardcore VR players, while Quest is for the common public. Those people who cant or dont want to invest in a PC or console for VR

The highest end VR games wouldnt be possible on the Oculus Quest.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Valve Index is filled to the brim with various high end, pioneering features and specs, while Oculus Quest is designed for mainstream penetration.

The highest end VR games wouldnt be possible on the Oculus Quest.
Additionally the sad reality of quest, even though awesome is many titles wont be possible to play on it due to hardware and going forward it will probably reasonably quickly be obsolete. On PC even with older headsets there's a myriad of options to improve your experience as you increase your external hardware. Different devices suited for different tasks and longevity.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
The Quest seems like it will be an awesome VR device for people with no PC, but I am hugely disapointed that it can not be used outside in daylight. Would be awesome in a park with all the space in the world.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'l offer the reservation to anyone here that wants it, just to be safe though. I'd hate to cancel a release day one, if someone wants it.

Price is as seen here
811fbWC.jpg

It looks like I can change the shipping option, so you'd be able to have it sent directly.
There is a VR channel that I watch, VR365:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkiYEz5x14idit_PzBYhJ6A

The host Anthony did not manage to secure the preorder and he is not happy about it, perhaps you could help him?
His email is [email protected]

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
What is the name supposed to mean?

Should just be Valve VR.
I think it's just a clever name. "Index" is a lot of things. "Refraction index" in optics is a major factor in lens construction, and the logo represents the stacked-lens optics construction in the headset. An "index finger" or pointer finger, relates very well to the finger-tracking controllers. An "index" by itself is another word for "catalogue", a listing of items, such as in, e.g., the Steam store. There's plenty of other meanings, and the name itself is quite memorable.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's just a clever name. "Index" is a lot of things. "Refraction index" in optics is a major factor in lens construction, and the logo represents the stacked-lens optics construction in the headset. An "index finger" or pointer finger, relates very well to the finger-tracking controllers. An "index" by itself is another word for "catalogue", a listing of items, such as in, e.g., the Steam store. There's plenty of other meanings, and the name itself is quite memorable.

Sure, the word means a lot of things, but I certainly don't think VR when I hear it. I think stock markets.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Sure, the word means a lot of things, but I certainly don't think VR when I hear it. I think stock markets.
Well sure, but if the company name itself wasn't Oculus, "Rift" by itself wouldn't mean much either. Same with "Vive". "Pimax 4K" sounds like a home theater setup. "HP Reverb" like a sound system. "Google Cardboard" deserves special mention. They're all mostly fancy names.

Sony are the only major company to do boring/descriptive names I think. The last time they did a non-boring name was the Vita, and that kind of... didn't work out so well.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017

- Index controllers come with a massive number of sensors to do finger tracking.
- Index has 144 Hz displays
- Index seems to have a lot more adjustments
-base stations are a big cost in themselves, they offer far better tracking
- better optics

Index is probably set to make a little bit of money. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Quest was actually losing a bit of money, with the expectation of making it back in other ways.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
base station cost still confuses me. I thought V2 was supposed to be much simplified - no sync pulse, only one motor. How on earth is that $150 per unit?

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
This is just a guess, but they're probably selling them above the expected price due to a combination of not having many in stock and early adopters gladly paying a premium.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
It shows nothing when I go near the boundaries on any setting. It shows up when I go into settings in Steam VR, but not in game.

I googled and a few people seem to have had this problem but I have not found a solution.

Just wanted to confirm you don't have the chaperone setting on 'developer'? If so it completely disables the boundary from showing up, I use this setting when playing sit-down VR games.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of overpriced, I hope someone comes out with a vive tracker competitor. I want leg tracking but not for 200 bucks. May try natural locomotion with my extra moves in the mean time.

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017

I had that happen one. I can't recall whether I had the chaperone set to "developer" or whether there was a conflict going on with OpenVR advanced settings. Now that I think about it, I believe it happened because I adjusted my base stations so I ended up having to map out the living room again. Bleh.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of overpriced, I hope someone comes out with a vive tracker competitor. I want leg tracking but not for 200 bucks. May try natural locomotion with my extra moves in the mean time.
One thing mentioned on Reddit that I didn't think about is if you already have a Vive and get the Index controllers, you could use your wands as big ass trackers. I think you have to do some finagling to get them recognized that way, but it should work.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Just wanted to confirm you don't have the chaperone setting on 'developer'? If so it completely disables the boundary from showing up, I use this setting when playing sit-down VR games.

I use developer mode when playing Elite and Assetto Corsa, but they no longer show with any mode.

I think it may have something to do with oculus home as seemingly steam disables them if it think there is another boundary running.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
One thing mentioned on Reddit that I didn't think about is if you already have a Vive and get the Index controllers, you could use your wands as big ass trackers. I think you have to do some finagling to get them recognized that way, but it should work.
Yup that does work, but I have no vive haha. I do have some move controllers laying around which can used, just not sure how well it works. I think smooth locomotion is going to be a hard road for me with motion sickness and leg tracking can help a lot with that.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little wary about doing it for people outside the site, but I can reach out if nobody else has taken it later today.
I can't say I vouch for him, since I do not know him personally and also I do not have much cred on resetera. But I do believe he is legit. He has a youtube channel where he invites guests, recently Sebastian from MRTV was his guest, both him and Nathie often appear in chat during livestreams. His channel is demonetised and he relies solely on Patreon and Paypal donations. Basically what I'm trying to say is that he has a reputation to uphold and it would be suicidal to throw it away to scam you.
If it was me who had a spare reservation, I would make a deal with him without any... reservation ;)

But of course it's better to be safe then sorry, so make your own decision. I may be in on the con ;)

EDIT: I talked to him and he's also afraid of getting scammed, so I guess no deal, unless you live in Sacramento.

Last edited: