• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MaDKaT

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered the controllers and pretty excited for them. Almost pulled the trigger on the headset as well but refrained for now. Maybe after I move.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
But what if their stock was simply a room with 20 complete kits or so🤔
I would say they sold what they had envisioned for a first wave in 20 min, that can not be a bad thing :) There really isnt a risk in buying a steamvr headset like picking the wrong console, even if they stop making them, they still work with SteamVR and all its future games.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I got my all together bundle within a few minutes of them going up and now I play the waiting game. I was going to just do the controllers + headset, but I was talking on the phone with my dad and he said he wanted my old Vive set up. How can I deny the guy who put me through college? It does make me wish the base station prices were less outrageous though.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Welp now the hmd and controller bundle is sold out in the US.
Part of me wants to sell my old Vive Hardware. The other part of me for the first time in my life. Is like collection time. But I really want to sell my old hardware to a buddy so he can play with me. Probably more important. What's a fair price for a lightly used Vive setup?

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I got my all together bundle within a few minutes of them going up and now I play the waiting game. I was going to just do the controllers + headset, but I was talking on the phone with my dad and he said he wanted my old Vive set up. How can I deny the guy who put me through college? It does make me wish the base station prices were less outrageous though.
Yeah the base station prices just don't make sense, everything else lines up fine, they inflate the price.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Darn I was late and the full set is gone and have to wait for July for those. Thankfully I have basestation 2.0's from my Vive Pro but was planning to move the set to another room. Do we know for sure the base station 2.0 are the same as what they call index base stations?

arit

Oct 29, 2017
After the "your order filed blabla" error the item in the shopping cart was reduced to its base price without vat. I wonder if one could have gotten himself an unintended discount (at risk of having the order canceled)...

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That was the killer for me. $150 for two would be fair. This hurts lol.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Well, seems like the days of VR getting more mainstream and affordable are long way coming still. 1.000 bucks for a glorified tech demo machine ain't worth it, chief.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yeah the base station prices just don't make sense, everything else lines up fine, they inflate the price.
real talk: unless you're really all about getting 2.0 lighthouses, just buy some used 1.0 lighthouses off eBay for like $60.

Well, seems like the days of VR getting more mainstream and affordable are long way coming still. 1.000 bucks for a glorified tech demo machine ain't worth it, chief.
You can get a used Rift, used Vive or Vive Pro, or a Rift S and be well under $500 in most of these cases.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

There's an unrealistic part of me that hopes they decide to go ahead and ship the HMD + Controller bundles with a set of Base Stations included, and refund that portion for the people who bought the full bundle.

Yeah, I know, I said it was unrealistic...

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, selling out in the US within an hour is a decent sign, although I was under the impression that the first round of pre-orders was deliberately limited.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
If I just want to play Beat saber and other party games like that, is it better to shell out for this or the Rift S?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Well I think I might be the first person to refund Valve Index and then repurchase it using a different payment method
oooops!

No idea how you can tell if it sold out or not for UK/EU folks

At least I can confirm you can refund preorders within 15min timeframe!

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the kit sold out so quickly gives me hope that low supply influenced the pricing. Though even then, by the time it gets discounted enough for me to consider it, a more appealing option might be impending.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Well I think I might be the first person to refund Valve Index and then repurchase it using a different payment method
oooops!

No idea how you can tell if it sold out or not for UK/EU folks

At least I can confirm you can refund preorders within 15min timeframe!

Doesn't it say "reserve yours" rather than "add to cart"? I see it says reserve with a end of July ship date in the US.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
indexjuj80.png

This is interesting.

The order is mostly as expected, though I wonder who's buying individual base stations.

That was the tipping point, yeah. You know me well :P
I'll be buying a third base station for placement behind me. Made the world of difference with my rift, I do have a relatively small space with plenty of things in the way so the extra coverage eliminates a blocked view.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be buying a third base station for placement behind me. Made the world of difference with my rift, I do have a relatively small space with plenty of things in the way so the extra coverage eliminates a blocked view.

I was hoping to do this someday too. I have 2 2.0 base stations and sometimes I get tracking issues even though it's rare. I was hoping a third one would completely rid of that because it really sucks when trying to full combo a song on beat saber and the controller jitters for a second.

Can you just buy one extra and just place it anywhere or dies it have to be another corner of a room?

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
From everything I have read you should not need 3 lighthouses, 2 gives full coverage much better than a 2 camera Rift configuration.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Do as you wish but that would be pretty unnecessary for the Index. Lighthouses are just a better technology than cameras for tracking, are better than 3 Rift cameras.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't it say "reserve" rather than "add to cart"? I see it says reserve with a end of July ship date in the US.

I didn't see any of that. I'm in the UK though.
For me, it Said "Add to Cart", same as the first time. I couldn't pay a few times as it said "I was making too many purchases", then it worked. The reciept I got just says the status as "Pre-ordered" and this is the only email I got (of course my order is not in my library - unless there is something else added)
kSBI3Aq.jpg

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do as you wish but that would be pretty unnecessary for the Index. Lighthouses are just a better technology than cameras for tracking, are better than 3 Rift cameras.
But can the lighthouses see around my desk and bed? I may try the included 2 sensors at first, but my issue is primarily physical objects blocking the view. Mainly when I bend over to pick something up from the ground or a wild arm movement in Beat Saber.

Oct 25, 2017
But can the lighthouses see around my desk and bed? I may try the included 2 sensors at first, but my issue is primarily physical objects blocking the view. Mainly when I bend over to pick something up from the ground or a wild arm movement in Beat Saber.
I'd have to see your exact layout. If you're positioning the base stations high, I have trouble imagining how they would be occluded unless you're placing them behind objects.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd have to see your exact layout. If you're positioning the base stations high, I have trouble imagining how they would be occluded unless you're placing them behind objects.
I'm on mobile, but the rough idea is my desk is parallel to my bed, and I have about 2"x3" between the two for my chair/VR activities. The current rift sensors are mounted on the wall up high, and can be blocked by the relatively wide desk or monitors if I reach below the waist. My third sensor is behind me to my right as to catch anything the far left front sensor misses. I used an app called 'desk scene' to see the rifts fov and fill in the dark spots.

The front sensors work pretty well on their own, but the third eliminated the 'once an hour or so' tracking problem. I never owned a Vive so I admittingly don't have any experience with the lighthouses.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
okay. I'll stick with my 1.0 team then. I've never had an issue tracking such that I ever felt the need to upgrade to 2.0. Will just ride em until the wheels fall off.

If you put them in elevated, opposing corners of your room (eg. front left corner and back right corner) you should have 0 issues.

Tripods are recommended if you don't want to or for some reason cannot mount them to your wall.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on mobile, but the rough idea is my desk is parallel to my bed, and I have about 2"x3" between the two for my chair/VR activities. The current rift sensors are mounted on the wall up high, and can be blocked by the relatively wide desk or monitors if I reach below the waist. My third sensor is behind me to my right as to catch anything the far left front sensor misses. I used an app called 'desk scene' to see the rifts fov and fill in the dark spots.

The front sensors work pretty well on their own, but the third eliminated the 'once an hour or so' tracking problem. I never owned a Vive so I admittingly don't have any experience with the lighthouses.
Hmm. I wouldn't expect issues using lighthouses based on what you're describing, but it's tough to say without really seeing the setup. Two lighthouse base stations is better than three Rift sensors, based on my experience.

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Welp, I purchased the controllers. I hope they improved some of the stuff some people had issues with regarding the EV series and the dev kit version of the controller. As much as I'd like to experience VR in 120hz or 144hz, I just don't have that kinda cash right now lol. My OG Vive has held up just fine, as I would expect.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Since I don't need a bigger space I might just grab the hmd controller bundle and just use my 1.0 lighthouse. I'd like to use the virtual link adapter cable so I'm only running one small cable out of the back of the headset? How long is this USB c cable that comes with the index??

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Speaking of lighthouses: does anyone know if you can mix lighthouse 1.0's with 2.0's in your array?
The answer ("no") above is correct, but I thought I'd expand on why.

1.0 Lighthouses sweep the room at alternate times, and to accomplish that (and for the sensors to perform measurements) they need a synchronization pulse.

2.0 Lighthouses modulate the timing information on the sweep itself, so they don't need any synchronization pulses (and don't have the hardware for them).