• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Price is whatever but I need wireless. My TPCast has been such a massive improvement for my Vive... I'm not going back. C'mon guys...

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, a bit more expensive than I'd hoped. Will be interesting to se Rift S and how it compares since it's probably around half the price.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the tech, the price is worth it, but still eye-watering. I mean, sure, there are headsets for half the price, but they're nowhere near as awesome as this.

You get what you pay for, and right now VR is super expensive technology. If $1000 is too much for VR, Oculus has more consumer friendly products. Valve's approach seems to be pushing the boundaries, making a high tier for Steam VR devices, and that's fine.

Personally speaking, I can't afford it. I want to, but there's no way I can justify it. Looks like it's Rift S for me when I get into PCVR.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
man I hope PSVR2 will have something similar. O_o

also I've read that Vive's controllers work with WMR headsets...and I love my Samsung Odyssey+..... so if someone can get these controllers work with my headset... man fuck that I would pay the $279 for these bad boys. (or wait for a sale...lol)

but man I can't bring myself to pay $1000 for this whole setup.

I hate to break it to you, but you'll need to buy the lighthouses too. So it'll cost 580 dollars (plus the cost of Steam controller USB dongles).

You can use Vive/Knuckles with WMR. You just need the controllers, lighthouses, and a couple Steam controller dongles (for the USB data transmission).

EDIT: You could try and find a deal on used lighthouses, but it still won't be a cheap proposition.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Will definitely get the controllers once a local reseller has them available.

Still unsure if I can justify paying $500 for the HMD upgrade. Reduced screen door effect, higher res/fov and 120hz sounds all pretty good to me but will have to wait for reviews on this one.

As an upgrade I wouldn't be sure either. The interactions with the controller won't translate very well to the other controllers. The headset on the other hand, I'd be tempted to stick with the Vive / Vive Pro. For me though, I can splurge easily and the investment will justify itself. I've been working with Vives, but haven''t needed to own one. Now looks like the right time to step in. Good speced headset, reasonable price (though questionable on the base station price), tons of good games to get. A valve title on the way is nice icing, but it sounds like (unsurprisingly) it may not launch along side the headset - which wouldn't surprise me if they missed their intended timeframe

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
Definitely more than I'd hoped, but that was kinda expected

After seeing what SL0 is doing though, I need to check out VR, and I definitely need to try the knucle controllers out

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
So what do these new expensive base stations offer? Why wouldn't people buy new cheaper HTC base stations instead?

The main features of 2.0 are:
  • Support for more than two base stations
  • Base stations that are smaller, quieter, lower power, more reliable, and less expensive than their 1.0 counterparts
  • Better performance by reducing the number of moving parts and sources of manufacturing variation.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/steamvrtracking/announcements/detail/1264796421606498053

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
It's just my opinion. Calm down. And from what I'm seeing from VR sales in general and in this thread, my sentiment is shared. $280 for controllers. Controllers. And it isn't even wireless.

It's a hilarious set of comments from folks who never had an intention of even participating in this end of the spectrum. At least there are very well justified comments from others on this topic whether for or against.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
This didn't fit into my Ars impressions article, but I wanted to highlight it for VR's biggest dreamers at ERA:

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
VR sales will continue to suffer if these are the prices

Except you remain completely wrong. PCVR Sales are following level predicted by each platform holder, engine vendors and hardware teams.... all except analysts (surprise surprise)
And you continue to completely ignore the breadth of variety of VR hardware on PC.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
...but I would have thought changing to single rotor would have been a significant saving on BOM... apparently not though

This is what really gets me about the whole release. Valve stated somewhere that the new basestations were around 60 dollars or so to manufacture and would sell to OEM's around that price. Asking for more than double that for a single unit is just wrong. The full package should've been 150 dollars less.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
This is what really gets me about the whole release. Valve stated somewhere that the new basestations were around 60 dollars or so to manufacture and would sell to OEM's around that price. Asking for more than double that for a single unit is just wrong. The full package should've been 150 dollars less.

Well its a question I'd be interested to see Valve answer, and to clarify whether they are selling near cost or making a profit from the hardware.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Same. The fact they didn't even mention the possibility of an add on down the road has me so bummed. Who knows how far out one could be at this point.

Maybe it's a bandwidth thing? Does the TPCast have more bandwidth than the official add-on? Somebody made a really detailed breakdown of the official adapter on Reddit a week or so ago. The official adapter is decidedly low bandwidth. Which probably explains why a lot of Vive Pro users complain about artifacting. Now take that resolution and go to 120 or 144hz and it gets even worse. I'd imagine it's a very difficult thing with current tech.

Jaysc

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to beat a dead horse and go off the rails like I did with RTX, but I feel those Gabe quotes are all useless to me. He did say these things at the roundtable two years ago, but he also said we'd be getting info on their three games before the year was over (2017). Two years later, and they're going to launch their own hardware without even telling us what the title of the supposed 2019 game is.

As for the pricing, I just don't see it. Maybe I'm wrong, but the inside out stuff is good enough for the vast majority of the market (if you're going to ask them to pay that much extra for lighthouse). To me, not being able to come out with a high quality, mass market (ie 500 - 600 range) device means the SteamVR hardware will be dead within a couple years (unless they factored in aggressive price cuts fairly soon).

I could handle a high price, but it needed to have actual next-gen features. The only thing next-gen is the refresh rate. I'm still a little dubious about the FOV (although I'd like to try myself). They're very careful to point out 20 percent higher for the average Vive user. I take this to mean it's less if you're not average (IE you're using a thin faceplate that gets your eyes closer to the Vive lenses).

Yeah, I too find most of what valve says these days are empty, but I still hold hope they have valid reasons behind their actions sometimes even though it may always be clear. To me as a company, even though we get those articles about how valve structure could be chaotic and not managed properly, they are a company that spends a lot of time experimenting and pushing things. Of course, that doesn't mean they always succeed (steam machines), but their try everything approach always feels nice to see, and always tries to benifit the PC community.

It does definitely seem like a failure that they didn't release a more consumer friendly price. Facebook/Oculus has properly entered that market and are really pushing for it. I guess that means Valve's intention is to currently still be in the high-end side of things. I do hope the Inside-out tracking doesn't die as I really believe that's the best technology for the best VR.

I've been trying to imagine really what next gen VR looks like. Reading the impressions it seems like a huge improvement already over Vive, and as expected its all in the range of resolution/refresh rate/FOV -> Fidelity. Is that what next gen about? If so, then until I experience it fully then I will never understand.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's a bandwidth thing? Does the TPCast have more bandwidth than the official add-on? Somebody made a really detailed breakdown of the official adapter on Reddit a week or so ago. The official adapter is decidedly low bandwidth. Which probably explains why I lot of Vive Pro users complain about artificting. Now take that resolution and go to 120 or 144hz and it gets even worse. I'd imagine it's a very difficult thing with current tech.

I'd be perfectly okay with wireless being limited to 90hz.

Is the Index's resolution that much higher than the Vive pro?

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
This didn't fit into my Ars impressions article, but I wanted to highlight it for VR's biggest dreamers at ERA:

My first thought is to mount a pair of (lightweight!) 120mm case fans in front of the thing and have them ramp up based on velocity / turning, would be awesome!

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's a bandwidth thing? Does the TPCast have more bandwidth than the official add-on? Somebody made a really detailed breakdown of the official adapter on Reddit a week or so ago. The official adapter is decidedly low bandwidth. Which probably explains why I lot of Vive Pro users complain about artificting. Now take that resolution and go to 120 or 144hz and it gets even worse. I'd imagine it's a very difficult thing with current tech.
That's the only reason I can think of. I'm just going to be extremely sad if we have to wait another year or two before we can get it for Index. That's more important to me (and literally everyone who's tried my Vive before and after I got the TPCast) than a higher refresh rate at the moment.

I'd be perfectly okay with wireless being limited to 90hz.
Yeah, same. I'll even take a bit of a resolution hit. The fact is when people come over to play Beat Saber (or hell, when I do) and I give them the option of a slightly higher resolution/fov and a higher refresh rate with a wire attached, or something that takes a hit to all those specs but is wireless, they're probably going to go with the wireless option.

Anko

Oct 26, 2017
YuriLand
Have they released anymore details regarding availability in other countries? Valve has never made their hardware products (Steam Link, controllers) available in my country and I'm starting to think that's not going to change.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Have they released anymore details regarding availability in other countries? Valve has never made their hardware products (Steam Link, controllers) available in my country and I'm starting to think that's not going to change.

Yeah this is terrible on Valve's part. I think Ars has mentions US and "western Europe" with uncertainty on UK.
Store page access might be the best indicator of current status as well as SteamDB, which indicates UK, EU, Poland and US

Who knows though. They really need an FAQ for these sorts of things

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I'd guess that the headset itself is probably basically breaking even, and that they are making a bit of money with the base stations.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Price is a bit higher than I expected, I was thinking €700-800 for a kit. Specs and impressions on the headset itself are also a lot better, I definitely didn't expect more than 90Hz and the impressions on both display and audio quality make it sound like a sizeable upgrade even from the Vive Pro, so it seems justified. I'll be pre-ordering day 1 to replace my aging Vive.

The EU price is a joke right?.....right?!

If you subtract VAT it's €900, which in today's USD is $1010. And it has double the warranty length.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there will be a more splashy launch tomorrow or they'll just update the page to take pre-orders? I was hoping for a cool YouTube video... maybe a surprise game teaser too...

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
I was hoping for a $700-800 price point for the index ... $999, hmmm. I mean, I WANT it - but I'd want a crazy good VR game first before I make the plunge.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's cheaper than the Vive Pro and a very significant step forward from that, as a whole kit. I hate this notion of "Gen", because there isn't such a thing beyond a comparative point between a single vendor's own products. By that token - this is a gen 1 effort from Valve's hardware team on the HMD and controller and second generation base stations.

You absolutely can compare similar products from multiple vendors, and often align then with generations of hardware. Not always, but I feel fairly safe to do so here.

This is much like the PC, where everything is mostly interchangeable and really up to the wallet capacity of the person, and what they already bought if anything, along with what they value.
Plenty of cheaper options, and Valve certainly hasn't gone for that. Only the base stations seem to hold a higher than expected cost to my eye

The headset without anything else (controllers, base station) costs $500. I have no problem with that if it's bringing some fresh things to the table, but by itself, it seems very similar to existing products on the market. Valve's been talked up a lot for their VR experimentation over the years, so it's disappointing that there isn't something strikingly fresh and unique about this. The ear cups, perhaps, and they've obviously put great pains into improving the optics, which I grant is obviously a major focus of VR. But yes, I wanted a hook. I don't want to keep getting slightly better Vives for the next 10 years. I'd hoped Valve would bring a little more to the table.

I also don't see why every single peripheral should be announced out the gate. Once again, there are plenty of solutions for other hardware if you want it, or almost certainly upcoming.

Hyperbole... I'm not asking for "every single peripheral". I'm asking for something that justifies why that big empty spot is there. Did they just have the space in the design and figured "why not"? I know they said it's for tinkerers, but it just seems awfully elaborate for that. It's weird that they don't have anything for it themselves.

And wireless is clearly a big deal to VR users. That's not a "nothing" subject. I expected Valve to have some kind of solution out of the gate, even if it was optional and partnered with another company.

Oct 25, 2017
The refresh rate and the new backlight persistence numbers are a pretty big deal.

There will be less eye strain for a start, this thing has the potential to be much more comfortable on the eyes overall, as long as the lenses don't get in the way.

That's not just 144hz, that's 144hz low persistence. ULMB, Lightboost, whatever the heck else you want to call it. This will be amazing for Racing games and character focused narrative games with subtle movements. This shit is going to be clean as hell.

Going down the list of common refresh rates, rounded down:

144hz=~6.94 ms (Index)
120hz=~8.33 ms (Index, PSVR - only a few games support 120fps@120hz, i.e. Fantastic Contraption on Pro)
90hz=~11.1 ms (Most other PCVR, WMR Headsets)
82-85hz= ~11.76~12.19 (Pimax 5k BE/XR)
80hz=12.5 ms (Rift S, Pimax 8k)
72hz=~13.88 ms (Oculus Quest, Oculus Go higher bound)
70hz=~14.28 ms (XTAL)
60hz=~16.67 ms (Gear VR, Oculus Go lower bound)

This is distinct/independent from controller/headset tracking. The Vive's specs are:

1000hz IMU measurement (1ms)
500hz transmission (2ms, every other hz basically)
60hz correction (16.67ms)
Additional software prediction done by Steam VR. Beatsaber players out performed this correction, so it was improved recently.

As a minor side effect of this upgrade (pretty much just these 2 games, them being PS2 ports and all):
  • REZ Infinite (the base game) won't stutter from being forced to run at 90hz/60fps anymore! Area X should be fine already.
  • ZOE2: MARS VR could also run at 120hz/60fps now and not break anything, but the jury's out on that - the port is weird and it currently runs 45fps/90hz for me on Vive, while other people haven't had problems (???).

Last edited:

Burbank

Sep 9, 2018
Pangea
Damn I wanna try this stuff, but it's so expensive. I have a Samsung Gear VR and that was super cool for short movies/rides.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They're gonna need to announce Half Life 3 VR if they want to sell this at this price. Ouch.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I was right about pricing of the controllers. And somehow being under generous, I was still below price in total package predictions. Ouch.

Durante looks like they're taking a nice profit margin after all.

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, no way did I think it would be $1000 for the package without some big feature nothing else had. The refresh rate doesn't seem enough to justify the price.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly can't get across how unappealing this pricing is, considering my expectation that the goal would be a more mainstream product.

Having base stations at all makes this unlikely to enter my home. Valve feels like a company I have very little reason to give the benefit of the doubt this decade. Fingers crossed this has the lasting power to work its way into a broader growth role, rather than landing for enthusiasts (at best).

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Controllers on their own are more expensive than a PSVR bundle, lol.
That doesn't even matter tbh. The knuckles represent the biggest jump in VR tech for me yet. Oculus touch controllers are head and shoulders above standard Vive for me. But even standard Vive controllers put my moves to shame. Knuckles are the real deal.