• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Wait,,,LCD in 2019? Why is it not OLED displays?

6LU5iZF.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Wow at that price. As I would have to buy the full bundle, I don't think I can justify "upgrading my experience" coming from a Rift+Touch. They would have had me if they added wireless built in or a consumer friendly add-on. Even some exciting AAA games from Valve that I might want to experience with the improved FOV, resolution and controllers would have helped. Oh well.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose they ought to start doing controllers with their own damn sensors then. Though, why can't the headset track the controllers around the player's body? Is the tech so dependent on visual sensors?
The tech is very dependent on visual sensors which is probably why they haven't put them on controllers yet. It's one thing to track the movement of your head, but imagine the motion blur involved from cameras on a controller playing Beat Saber.

If you use Thunderbolt 3, you will lose the camera. Thunderbolt doesn't have the bandwidth needed iirc
Ah. So Virtual Link would be fine though.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
OLED has a lot of downsides, black smearing, larger spaced subpixels (screendoor effect) and is expensive. A lot of HMD's are going back to LCD panels actually
The new Rift S uses LCD's for example

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
Did they state anywhere if the integrated headphones are able to come off? As great as I'm sure they sound I would prefer to use my over the head wireless ones instead.

Also while I doubt anyone has any idea, are we expecting the preorder to go up sometime tomorrow morning Valve time? Or possibly at midnight PST? I just have a feeling I'm going to miss them and be sold out. :/

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Did they state anywhere if the integrated headphones are able to come off? As great as I'm sure they sound I would prefer to use my over the head wireless ones instead.

Also while I doubt anyone has any idea, are we expecting the preorder to go up sometime tomorrow morning Valve time? Or possibly at midnight PST? I just have a feeling I'm going to miss them and be sold out. :/
People are expecting 10am PST tomorrow based on when they usually update the store, but there's no confirmation of that.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
Gonna throw down for the controllers at least. By far the things I'm most interested in. I do need to upgrade to a better headset, so I'll probably do that in four or five months.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This honestly feels like a misread market much like the steambox. PSVR and Oculus if anything are showing us that it's affordability that is driving sales. To release something so pricey just seems utterly stupid to me. But I guess we'll see how it does commercially.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Prices are insanity, to the degree people might scoff at VR altogether if they get the idea it requires that much of an investment.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
If I added up the prices of all 32 VR games I own it'd probably only come to less than half the $1000 price tag. That seems the wrong way round.

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
Too expensive for what it is. I'll most likely wait for next generation, or buy something cheaper like Oculus. 299€ for controllers and 318 for base stations is just way too much when I can get Oculus and oculus touch for so much less. And where are the games that use the controllers? Why should I buy this now?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
  • Higher subpixel density/fill-factor, meaning less screen-door effect - particularly important since the headset has a higher FOV than many of the other OLED headsets.
  • Backlight strobing being decoupled from the display panel enables 0.330ms image persistence without black smearing like an OLED display.
  • No risk of burn-in, though I don't know how much of a concern that is for VR headsets.
But it does mean lower contrast/worse black levels.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prices individually aren't too bad and see this appealing a lot to people already with the base stations. If the build quality is up to scratch then the controllers are well worth it.

The price for the set doesn't look so great.

Look forward to reading about impressions on the headset itself.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
This is way too expensive for what you get in my opinion. I feel like the tech increase->price increase doesn't justify the jump over a CV1 Rift. $350 on sale for everything, for a very similar experience. This is better, but not $650 better and that's disappointing. Just not really that interesting to me I guess.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
We know a valve game is coming, and we should expect it to definitely use the controller.

I'm pretty sure there was a quote of Gabe saying he wanted to push the boundary of VR first to a high upper limit, which will eventually produce more friendly set prices, but I can't seem to find it. I believe the same idea applies to the controllers as well. They spent years developing it, refining it, and testing it to create a future proof controllers, which time spent shows how difficult it was. Now that they have, they can leave it alone basically. In X years time, it will gradually decrease in price to a suitable point. I can't imagine what new controller scheme we would need next, probably finger tracking.

I don't want to beat a dead horse and go off the rails like I did with RTX, but I feel those Gabe quotes are all useless to me. He did say these things at the roundtable two years ago, but he also said we'd be getting info on their three games before the year was over (2017). Two years later, and they're going to launch their own hardware without even telling us what the title of the supposed 2019 game is.

As for the pricing, I just don't see it. Maybe I'm wrong, but the inside out stuff is good enough for the vast majority of the market (if you're going to ask them to pay that much extra for lighthouse). To me, not being able to come out with a high quality, mass market (ie 500 - 600 range) device means the SteamVR hardware will be dead within a couple years (unless they factored in aggressive price cuts fairly soon).

I could handle a high price, but it needed to have actual next-gen features. The only thing next-gen is the refresh rate. I'm still a little dubious about the FOV (although I'd like to try myself). They're very careful to point out 20 percent higher for the average Vive user. I take this to mean it's less if you're not average (IE you're using a thin faceplate that gets your eyes closer to the Vive lenses).

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
This price is absolutely nuts. I'll just wait for PSVR 2, thanks.

For the spec - it isn't. Why talk about PSVR 2 in comparison to this? If anything like PSVR, it isn't remotely close to the same fidelity or a "best in class" scenario

Might as well complain about the price of RTX 2080 not being $299 and you'll wait for PS5 while you're driving by

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they seriously not announcing a game with it? Like it's just a more expensive way to play Superhot again?

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I think I might just pick up the controllers and forget the rest. Id like a larger FOV and higher resolution but for that price its pretty insane. Also I can just add the wireless attachment to my current Vive

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
For the spec - it isn't. Why talk about PSVR 2 in comparison to this? If anything like PSVR, it isn't remotely close to the same fidelity or a "best in class" scenario

Might as well complain about the price of RTX 2080 not being $299 and you'll wait for PS5 while you're driving by
I don't have a pc. The barrier to entry is huge.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
(Hopefully not a redundant comment) For anyone looking to see some gameplay utilizing the knuckle controllers, check out this demonstration of Boneworks:

man I hope PSVR2 will have something similar. O_o

also I've read that Vive's controllers work with WMR headsets...and I love my Samsung Odyssey+..... so if someone can get these controllers work with my headset... man fuck that I would pay the $279 for these bad boys. (or wait for a sale...lol)

but man I can't bring myself to pay $1000 for this whole setup.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a pc. The barrier to entry is huge.

LOL so why are you waltzing into this, a discussion about a purposefully high fidelity best in class device, by a company fully intent on that goal, not chasing "mainstream" with their VR hardware. Every page of the announcement and all Valve have done has catered to these enthusiasts

"I'm gonna get the bus, that latest car is too expensive" "I don't have a driving licence. The barrier is HUGE"

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Will definitely get the controllers once a local reseller has them available.

Still unsure if I can justify paying $500 for the HMD upgrade. Reduced screen door effect, higher res/fov and 120hz sounds all pretty good to me but will have to wait for reviews on this one.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
It's just my opinion. Calm down. And from what I'm seeing from VR sales in general and in this thread, my sentiment is shared. $280 for controllers. Controllers. And it isn't even wireless.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
LOL so why are you waltzing into this, a discussion about a purposefully high fidelity best in class device, by a company fully intent on that goal, not chasing "mainstream" with their VR hardware. Every page of the announcement and all Valve have done has catered to these enthusiasts

"I'm gonna get the bus, that latest car is too expensive" "I don't have a driving licence. The barrier is HUGE"
It's just my opinion. Calm down. And from what I'm seeing from VR sales in general and in this thread, my sentiment is shared. $280 for controllers. Controllers. And it isn't even wireless.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
So what do these new expensive base stations offer? Why wouldn't people buy new cheaper HTC base stations instead?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious how Valve can confidently say they have a game for 2019 but didn't want to talk about it today. Seems like a very odd move, especially if it's the game people expect.

On the other hand, maybe you want people to absorb the price before doing that.

It's cool that the quality of Steam threads has made the transition to hardware threads.